Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 today on german auto motor und sport TV

This week two german TV magazines have shown the car (in red and yellow) and auto motor sport will follow this afternoon.
    In action the car really looks fantastic and it's a shame that some people criticize the look of this beauty.
    It's the best 911 i've ever ever seen - modern and traditional too.
    VOX TV: 17.00 PM

Re: 997 today on german auto motor und sport TV

Quote:
    farina said:
    This week two german TV magazines have shown the car (in red and yellow) and auto motor sport will follow this afternoon.
    In action the car really looks fantastic and it's a shame that some people criticize the look of this beauty.
    It's the best 911 i've ever ever seen - modern and traditional too.
    VOX TV: 17.00 PM

Critics will calm down as soon as they really see the car in person.
    German dealers get only a very limited number of cars for MY 2005 and I suppose things won't be different in the US and other markets.
    I'm pretty sure that we'll see soon posts like "where to get a 997 from without paying premium?" or "my dealer can't get me a 997 this year, help".

Back in november 1999(!), we saw the new 996 Turbo for the first time and were able to sit in it and even take pictures. The cars still had a "Erprobungsfahrzeug" sticker on the doors and the rear and we published the pictures on a well known car forum. After being able to see this car in person and even more... , we highly recommended people to order one because once they hit the streets, there will be an extremely high demand for the 996 Turbo. A lot of people accused us of being biased, if I remember right even Nick was interested in buying one and I got the first dealer 996 Turbo in June 2000, only two days after the official presentation.
    I drove to South France in this car, I encountered some 360 Modena and other nice sports cars and none had even the slightest chance, especially on the nice roads along the sea from Cannes to St.Tropez. People were starring at it as I was driving a UFO, incredible.
    Shortly after the first cars arrived to the US, people started to order them, some not being succesful to get one because only a limited number of cars actually made it to the US in the first year. I remember that one guy paid 50000(!) USD to get one, another one paid 35000(!) USD premium.

Both were Users of that forum and they didn't want to believe us how good the 996 Turbo will be. Well, if Porsche would pay us to be biased towards their products, we would at least be able to get a new and nice design for our forum.
    And I wouldn't drive a Cayenne Turbo only.

I think people are always disappointed that Porsche keeps the 911 development moving in very slow steps.
    Of course I would love to see 500 HP on a base Carrera but how many people would be able to afford one?
    There will be several 997 models to choose from and I'm pretty sure that we'll see one or two surprises.
    One thing is for sure: the new 997 is the most beautiful and probably most perfect (design-wise) 911 Porsche has ever built. Maybe even the last of it's kind because I don't see how a new 911 generation in 5,6 or 7 years could look much different. Unless Porsche takes the plunge and offers a completely new design based on the classic 911 shape.
    Not an easy task if you ask me.

:hemm....

i watch it...but i understand..no one words..maybe is better that someone make me a little summary with translations..

THe only thing i understand was Porsche and nineeleven..

BTW the car looks great....i love it..

thanks
    ciao
    Dario

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    :hemm....

i watch it...but i understand..no one words..maybe is better that someone make me a little summary with translations..

Darius,

You did not miss anything by not understanding the text, unless you enjoy parodies of children's fairy tales. Very little content in terms of facts and figures. I got the impression they had been supplied with a brief film and a press hand-out, and then dressed it up like a test report, but weaving their comments into the format of a typical fairy tale.

I (fortunately) did not record it, so could not give you a more detailled run-down on it.

no problem...i usually watch VOX and DSF without understand a word..but i like to watch the programs

thanks
    Ciao
    Dario

In my opinion one of the best TV-stories about a car i've ever seen.
    It's like the fairy about the "hässliches Entlein" which becomes
    a beautiful swan and this "Bürschchen" (which means a little Boy) shouts "Ha!" (which means that the 997 now has self confidence) and goes into the world to try his best.

"... It's no problem you have stayed in a nest of a duck if you are an egg of a swan ... "

Quote:
    farina said:
    In my opinion one of the best TV-stories about a car i've ever seen.
    It's like the fairy about the "hässliches Entlein" which becomes
    a beautiful swan and this "Bürschchen" (which means a little Boy) shouts "Ha!" (which means that the 997 now has self confidence) and goes into the world to try his best.

"... It's no problem you have stayed in a nest of a duck if you are an egg of a swan ... "

farina,

I think we had different expectations of this show.

I was looking forward to a serious road test report on a sportscar, so I was disappointed when they served up a children's bedtime story at six PM in the evening.

Next week, Cinderella goes to the ball in a Maybach .......

Quote:
    I was looking forward to a serious road test report on a sportscar, so I was disappointed when they served up a children's bedtime story at six PM in the evening.

Next week, Cinderella goes to the ball in a Maybach .......

Exactly what I was thinking

Quote:
    fritz said:

I agree. AMS always makes fairy tale TV reports, they sound great and use a nice language and the pictures are nice too but when the story ends, I always get the feeling that nothing has been actually told.
    Even my 3 year old girl wouldn't be satisfied.

I think it is time for a new car magazine and a new car TV show. Something for us car nutts who care more about technical details than about fairy tales.

AMS TV is horrible. only close ups beyond recognition-- they rarely show cars as a whole... absurd elevator music drowns any car/exhaust sounds out... and the presenter seems to me like a robot who is running out of energy.

IMO DSF's motorvision is a lot better, at least they have this tim schrick who can only drive sideways.

Quote:

I think it is time for a new car magazine and a new car TV show. Something for us car nutts who care more about technical details than about fairy tales.

time for RENNTEAM-TV!!

i like the topgear concept -- maybe RC could become the german clarkson!

Quote:
    RC said:

That show right now is called Fifth Gear ... I can't wait for Tiff to get a hold of the 997S (and the CGT)

But what have you expected? A serious road test?
    Journalists can't do that. And look at the moderator. He's boring too! I agree that we need an new INTERNATIONAL CAR MAGAZINE that satisfies us even more than the current magazines. But then CAR ENTHUSIASTS or race drivers must test these cars and not journalists who can't even tell us more than ... IMO a good fairy with jokes!
    Where are the Enthusiasts who want to drive these cars?!!!

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    AMS TV is horrible. only close ups beyond recognition-- they rarely show cars as a whole... absurd elevator music drowns any car/exhaust sounds out... and the presenter seems to me like a robot who is running out of energy.
    Quote:

Yeh, the guy does look like he could take lessons from the Duracell bunny. (Or was that Energizer?)

Quote:
    zzboba said:

time for RENNTEAM-TV!!

zzoba,

I agreed with your post up to the point where you insulted RC by comparing him with Clarkson!

Tiff Needell is the man! We need a programm like "5th Gear".

Around about now, Mike Valentine usually shows that photograph of Vicki Butler-Henderson (unless his wife has put a stop to that kind of thing), and that then wins the argument!

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Well, I actually liked Top Gear with Tiff but since he left, I don't know. Too many stupid jokes and why ain't I surprised: mostly about Germans and Americans.

And I'm afraid I don't have the charismatic way of talking like Tiff has, not to speak about his ability to fascinate the spectator with his language and driving at the same time.

I'm afraid car magazines and TV shows always show what specators want to see, nothing more and nothing less.
    I suppose 90% of the people are more interested in a superficial, fairy-tale like story with nice pictures (favorite: the car comes from the horizon and passes the camera to disappear in the other direction ) and some power slides/drifts.
    I don't think the majority of the spectators would watch a 45 minute special on 997 development and testing.
    And here is where Porsche could jump in: I'm missing from them a report including videos from the early development and how it progressed. Then, maybe a ride with Walter Roehrl on the Nordschleife, some power slides in Leipzig with Jochen Albig and finally a FAQ discussion with the development team in Weissach.

Nobody interested? I would love to watch such a 45 minute 997 special. And maybe they could add an independent 10 minute testing special with Tiff and his beautiful blonde collegue.

Quote:
    RC said:
    And maybe they could add an independent 10 minute testing special with Tiff and his beautiful blonde collegue.

Mike Valentine, are you going to let us down in our hour of need?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    And maybe they could add an independent 10 minute testing special with Tiff and his beautiful blonde collegue.

Well that's the problem. I want to see that too but most people are not really interested in the development of cars and that's our problem.

I like the photo of Charlie's Angels in the background too

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

[/image]

Weeell, Thanks Mike, you certainly delivered the goods.

You seem to have an exclusive source of photographs of VB-H which I would never even have thought existed!

Next time I ask you to roll one out to help clinch the "Top Gear" versus "5th Gear" argument, please disregard my pleas, even if I start begging pitifully. I wouldn't want to get us both into trouble!

My wife would not believe that rennteam.com was just a forum for car nuts if another photograph like that was to pop up at the wrong time.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    You seem to have an exclusive source of photographs of VB-H which I would never even have thought existed!

No secret, really.

Here's the secret cache of Vicki's aura. (Go nuts -- Click Me).

Does a rally driver really look like this?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM