Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New car itch begun! (Need pics of yellow 987s)

So the itch has begun again.
    With a little luck (and provided that World economy forecasts dont get any more pessimistic than they are ) I will soon have financially recovered from the loss after my biggest client left last December - perhaps u remember the BS reason being that "I told people my Porsche was paid for by said client" - and now I have slowly, but surely begun the process of shopping for a new car.

I have thought long and hard, and my somewhat boring conclusion is that I want another Boxster. The fact is I LOOOOOOOVE my Boxey. It's simply been great these past 3 years. Sure, there have been a few problems, but considering the milage and usage, the car has exceeded my expectations in terms of both driving and owning a Porsche.

-So, why not "step up" to a 911?, you might ask.
    I really like the looks of the 997, but I have to admit, that I dont really dream of a "regular" 911 due to its rear engine layout - IMO a sportscar needs to have a midship engine. I know the Boxster is somewhat underpowered, ad that is a real PITA. But it's plenty fast for the streets I spend 95% of my driving time on and as you know, the Boxster/Cayman handling is unrivalled by any sub-GT3 Porsche.

After trying Dreamcar's 3.4 litre 987s I have no doubt in my mind, that the Boxster is the best real-life everyday sportscar you can get. Bar none.
    Besides - the premium I have to pay for a 997 over a 987 is ridiculous here in DK (about 120,000$ difference between a fully specced 987s and a fully specced 997S). So, as great as the 997 is, it's not worth 120,000$ more than the Boxster, at least not to me.

After feeling the quite noticable difference in power between my own 986S and DC's 987S, (and even between DC's car and the former 987 model), the choice is a no-brainer for me.
    I want a 3.4 S.
    I've thought about cars of different brands (Elise R111, Audi TT, AMV8, M3, M5 etc) other P-models such as the 997 and GT3, and they are all either off limits for me due to the sick Danish car taxes (an AMV8 is appr. 230,000Pounds / 360,000$) or not interesting as daily driver, or simply not as involving as the Boxster. I'd love something as sharp as the Elise with Boxster build-quality and everyday useability. Unfortunately that does not exist.

If you have any input, please feel free

So, Boxster it is.
    Now, for that classic, thankfully neverending and sweet/painstaking task of picking color and other specs

I have thought mainly in grays and silver - but even tho I love those colors and find them "true" P colors - I also find them conservative and somewhat too "nice".
    A while back I found a pic of a yellow 987S - and I was sold.
    (See pic)
    I feared that the yellow would be too lemony - too green, but having seen speedyellow GT3's etc IRL, I must say its a cool color!

My worry is, that it will end up ooking like a toycar - and that especially the rear will look strange with the yellow paint colorwise clashing with the red taillights.
    Furthermore, yellow is far from my favorite color - the car just looks so friggin nice - that all of those arguments seem to fade...
    What's your take on that?

Re: New car itch begun! (Need pics of yellow 987s)

I have considered orange as a special color...

White...

..and even that Gulf blue...

I just keep going back to yellow.
    Besides the fact that a yellow car may decrease a bit more rapidly and become a bit harder to sell than a Boxey in a more subtle/regular color, what pros/cons do u see?
    Input appreciated!

AND if you have any pics of a yellow 987S with cocoa interior/top and/or other pics of yellow 987S Id really appreciate it (I'll do Mobile.de myself )

This from the configurator Dr Phil

Well first off I absolutely think you picked the right car. As to color, that's just one of those only you can ultimately decide decisions. And part of that includes going with colors that "talk to you." If you keep finding yourself pulled to a color unless it's along the lines of purple with pink polka dots and green stripes, go for it. However I would seriously think about combining cocoa with yellow. I doubt you will find any place to look at that ahead of time, which should tell you something.

The one color I might have suggested as an alternative based on your post, Cameron Red, has unfortunately been dropped. I haven't seen the replacement Ruby Red Metallic to know if it would meet what you described in your post. My personal favorite, and the one I own, Atlas Grey has been moved to the special colors list and is now a US $3,100 option.

Ultimately, you can't really go that wrong because you will have a brand new 987S. Enjoy.

Silver with Blood Red interior like the old Porsche Speedster from the 60's my man.

That's the way you need to go.

How about this for an alternative interior? I'm not a fan of yellow but think this looks good

Last

Here is one from me! I love the Yellow Obviously!!! I think it is the best colour and would buy it again without a question.

another,

another

Love it

DocPhil,
    The yellow is awesome!
    But don't you fear any more reactions like those of your former biggest client? Yellow may provoke such jealousy maybe even more than silver/gray does, because it is a lot more flashy. Something you might want to considder.
    -Joost-

Congrats!
    For me White is stunning!!!!

Sorry if I communicated an incureable and highly infectious disease whilst you were in our company, and I am afraid the cure is extremely expensive, especially in DK

Thanks again for your nice comments about my humble carriage (no longer so humble now that the Great Doctor has actually ridden in it) - trouble is if I wash it after His presence I am sure the value will plummet. I'm taking it down to my OPC this afternoon for it's first year check and they are under strict instructions not to wash the exterior or clean the passenger seat

As has been said many times before colour choice is a very personal thing and listening to others opinions will just confuse even more.

It was very noticeable when we collected our car from Stuttgart a year ago, in the delivery room (sounds like a maternity hospital) our cobalt Boxster was surrounded by a sea of white, grey and black cars which looked drab in comparison. Mind ours was the only Boxster there Always noticeable on the forecourt of an OPC are guards red, speed yellow or cobalt (to a lesser extent). Well I love cobalt (obviously), but Andy M on the Cayman Board has been told that colour will disappear after this MY which would leave the colour choice poorer but keep cobalt nice and exclusive

If I chose Speed Yellow it would have to be with black roof and interior with speed yellow belts and centre console (but not yellow instruments, please) Speed yellow and cocoa doesn't sound too happy to me. But then again I would never have imagined seal grey and cocoa and yet it looks wonderful on PJ's car.

But here in the UK you can buy a C42 Icarus microlight for the same money as a well equipped Boxster, maybe in DK with your car tax regime for half the money of a new one...

Good luck with your choices and of course I can't guess what wheels you'd have...

I would go for white combined with Cocoa. yellow is a bit too much for something slower than a GT3 in my personal opinion. But good choice to go for the 987S!

Yellow is great, specially go with ocean blue interior, you may also add some yellow interior like seat belt and centre console. Bright color is hard to choose when you think about resale but its your P for the next couple of years, you shall get the one you love most not the one can sell easier.
    BTW I have the "orange" and I never regard about it.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    I have thought long and hard, and my somewhat boring conclusion is that I want another Boxster. The fact is I LOOOOOOOVE my Boxey.

It's love for sure Greaaaat news, Doc I feel very happy for you
    I can agree with every single word you've said regarding the decision why it has to be a Boxster S again

This car is the best choice in the world for combining cab fun, sharp handling, everyday use + track fun for a (relative) reasonable price tag

Even if I'm still under the impression from the taxi lap in Cram's GT3 on the Ring and seriously thinking about getting one in the near future (mainly depends how my track addiction will develop next year) one thing is for sure - a Boxey has to be in my stable forever

I'm curious about the specs

As for the colour - mind you that your better half (when joining me as a passenger in my car during our stay in DK) said: a Porsche has to be grey (LoL maybe she just wanted to do me a favour).

I'll think about the colour combos this weekend (maybe a good bottle of red wine provides some inspiration )

If it will be SY (IMO excellent choice for a sporty appearance) I agree with DC's comments on the interior

If I would respec the Boxster today I guess I would try to order the California Blue Porsche once offered for a special edition in the US - and this I would combine with dark rims (eg Titan or somethin alike). Before the Boxster I drove a Honda S2000 in such a light metallic blue with dark OZ rims. The color combo still touches me today.

Nightshade: great combo for sure
    Question is, whether the Doc considers special paint ( Euro Euro Euro Euro Euro ) If so, this is going to be a looooong thread

Talking about Cocoa (hehe) and SY: IMO it would make a too harsh contrast, while Carrara + Cocoa looks nice (I've some pics, if you want...).

If you want to have a yellow colour with the Cocoa, the yellow has to a bit darker/softer IMO.

Something like the old mustard yellow (not sure, whether this is the right name).

Great news Dr Phil.

Go with your instinct - if you want yellow then go for it, you use the car a lot, and YOU need to be happy with it. I'd agree with dreamcar, black interior and standard colour instruments. Not sure bout the yellow belts - nice contrast but ona daily driver they might prove difficult to keep clean. Ask for deviated stitching too, so you get the yellow stictching in the seats/panelwork.

Yellow is a great colour in sunny climes - hence why it always looks good on forums as a lot are sold in the sunny states. Its not so great covered in road salt and grime in winter months - but then most colours aren't either.

I've recently seen a white 987 with turbo wheels -it looked great, but again it was a sunny day and the car was fresh out of the showroom.

I still love my atlas grey - its subtle changes of colour with the light (grey/black/ blue) really please me, and the depth of shine you can achieve with a dark colour are great if you really want to spend hours per week cleaning

Cobalt is a nice hue - a good buy now its a standard colour - what about the new macadema metallic ?? Certainly very different !

I just love Cobalt - photo courtesy of the Great Man Himself

Good to see the recovery :-)
    I like the special color orange best. For myself, as Joost mentionned, I'd keep a lower profile color...admitedly more boring (all silvers, black...), but you are also less likely to get tired of it. Cobalt blue is a good alternative.
    Also, I'd DEFINTELY keep away from interior yellow colors...makes me shiver...

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    [...] mind you that your better half (when joining me as a passenger in my car during our stay in DK) said: a Porsche has to be grey

So he must be in some rebellious stage.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    I'd keep a lower profile color...admitedly more boring (all silvers, black...), but you are also less likely to get tired of it.

I agree. Furthermore I do believe that non-metallic colours on a current Porsche are way too singledimensonal. On the one hand due to the message such a striking colour carries with, on the other the ample amount of work Porsche's designers put into the cars' surfaces in CAD can only come across with highly reflective colours. That's what your girlfriend must have been referring to.

Based on my impression and the considerations you gave you seem to be in demand of some unconventional, yet elegant colour. Admittedly SpeedYellow offers a nice range of shades, depending on lighting, but I, and I assume your aiming at that as well, would prefer something less obvious.
    I prefer Gulfblue or, if you'd consider a metallic colour, the below posted special colour. I'd have a hard time deciding on Porsche's current colour range as well...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755046 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431500 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258854 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79854 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868879 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802864 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM