Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: CGT Clutch

Larry, is there a certain amount of tire smoking you can do that would guarantee a no stall? Or, does the car just lunge forward so fast even under that embarassing scenerio?

I picked up my car from the dealer today, and the guards red CGT owned by Monster Cable's owner just came back into the service area from a road test by their master tech who went through the 1 week CGT training in Atlanta. He's worked on my cars in the past (replaced a bank of lifters for one) so we have a pretty good relationship, and I value his opinion. First, let me say that the engine and exhaust note are almost sensual. He opened the engine compartment and I was floored--again pictures and sound clips don't do this car justice.

I asked him what he thought of the clutch. He said he didn't have a problem with it, but was quick to point out he races cars, and said it's not nearly as difficult as a full out racing clutch. As we've heard from you, Larry, he confirmed the 2 ways to start off--let the clutch up without touching the accelerator, and the computer keeps the engine at a constant rpm as you engage the clutch, until you touch the gas; or rev to 4K and smoke the tires! He also mentioned springs (I believe he said springs--at this point my daughter was getting antsy and I couldn't fully concentrate) in the clutch mechanism that will loosen up over time and make this issue less pronounced.

I also couldn't believe how low the front spoiler is--it looked like there was 2" of clearance. Sounds like Porsche will do brisk business in replacement spoilers! BTW--the CGT was in to have it raised because it, too, is a daily driver.

Quote:
    poursha said:
    I picked up my car from the dealer today, and the guards red CGT owned by Monster Cable's owner just came back into the service area from a road test by their master tech who went through the 1 week CGT training in Atlanta. He's worked on my cars in the past (replaced a bank of lifters for one) so we have a pretty good relationship, and I value his opinion. First, let me say that the engine and exhaust note are almost sensual. He opened the engine compartment and I was floored--again pictures and sound clips don't do this car justice.

I asked him what he thought of the clutch. He said he didn't have a problem with it, but was quick to point out he races cars, and said it's not nearly as difficult as a full out racing clutch. As we've heard from you, Larry, he confirmed the 2 ways to start off--let the clutch up without touching the accelerator, and the computer keeps the engine at a constant rpm as you engage the clutch, until you touch the gas; or rev to 4K and smoke the tires! He also mentioned springs (I believe he said springs--at this point my daughter was getting antsy and I couldn't fully concentrate) in the clutch mechanism that will loosen up over time and make this issue less pronounced.

I also couldn't believe how low the front spoiler is--it looked like there was 2" of clearance. Sounds like Porsche will do brisk business in replacement spoilers! BTW--the CGT was in to have it raised because it, too, is a daily driver.

Given the immediate area around Rector is fairly flat, is the tech claiming that he's comfortable w/this clutch even on hills (which I know are incredibly infrequent in SF/LA)?

Quote:
    Larry B said:
    I think I will post this on the board in case others might be interested, or maybe I am boring people???"

Please keep the information coming, Larry. We are not bored.

Hill Start

Quote:
    Larry B said:
    Clutch in, car at idle, hand brake on, ready to be released. Release clutch slowly and at the same time release the hand brake slowly as the clutch takes hold, then give light throttle. This works most of the time.

Larry,

When starting on a hill, is it absolutely necessary to give light throttle as the clutch and handbrake are being slowly released? Will it stall if you don't give it light throttle?

I ask since the electronic throttle is programmed to keep the rpm's steady as the clutch engages, unless overridden by the driver pressing the accelerator.

Thanks.

Re: Michel Moore

The bottom line is that those islamic fundamental crazy folks dont care about cars, and I dont want Porsche to start doing mules if those guys take over the world. This really bothers me! :-)

Quote:
    The bottom line is that those islamic fundamental crazy folks dont care about cars

Nor do the christian fundamentalists, buddhist fundamentalists, jewish fundamentalits, etc etc

Agree RC, btw I do think that its right about Moore too. The guy is a liberal extremist :-) and opportunist too. We should talk him to make a movie about sport car owners instead of gun owners. Just imagine a scene he interviews somebody famous asking - Umm, why do you need your CGT? Do you know that with money you spent buying it you could do this and that? Do you feel better driving it? etc. etc. Can be a hit in my view :-)

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Nor do the christian fundamentalists, buddhist fundamentalists, jewish fundamentalits, etc etc

Buddhist fundamentalists?

And now let's get back to cars...

Re: CGT accident

I understand how you need to drive the CGT from a start, but I don't understand why. I assumed at first W8MM was correct because with very low rotating mass (fly wheel + clutch) you will have difficulty with using engine inertia to get rolling. After reading Larry B's process.. it's seems really ridiculous.

Is there no "friction point"? What if you held rev's to 2 grand and slip the clutch out? I don't understand why it dies immediately when you give it throttle, obviously the complete opposite of a "normal" car. How did the automotive journalists launch the car? If I owned one and I had to deal with letting the clutch out so slowly it rolls on its own every time I left a stop sign I would be extremely frustrated to say the least. Imaging driving in a city - yeah right.

The friction point is about 10-15 mm.

If you are used to driving high powered cars with a manual clutch (GT3,GT2 etc..) it isn't a problem.

Meet the clutch with the accelerator and you are ok.

The clutch will last the life of the car as long as you don't abuse it ( same goes for all cars).

Ground clearance: You can have the car raised 10 mm without affecting the cars stability.

Note. You should only have this done at an authorised Porsche dealership since there are adjustments that has to be done to the setup of the car. (dealership must be an authorised Carrera GT service point)

VKSF said:
    Quote:

Given the immediate area around Rector is fairly flat, is the tech claiming that he's comfortable w/this clutch even on hills (which I know are incredibly infrequent in SF/LA)?

We didn't get to discuss that point.

Quote:
    lev said:
    Agree RC, btw I do think that its right about Moore too. The guy is a liberal extremist :-) and opportunist too.

And you are a conservative extremist?

These labels are convenient for mud slinging but what exactly do they mean? I am often accused of being both depending on the topic and the other person's point of view.

As for opportunism. I plead guilty as charged. How about you Lev? Are you an opportunist too?

I'm with Christian. This topic, discussed in this way, isn't getting us very far. Back to cars.

Stephen

Experience ???

Quote:
    CF said:
    If you are used to driving high powered cars with a manual clutch (GT3,GT2 etc..) it isn't a problem.

Do you really believe this CF?

What you are saying seems to go against what everyone else is saying including all of the press. Lots of these people (maye even all of these people) should have GT2 or GT3 experience if not experience with racing clutches. Yet they're all saying that it is extremely difficult to use.

Stephen

Re: Experience ???

I know of two private CGT owners who doesn't think it's a problem, neither the clutch or the ground clearance.
    European customers.

Ground clearance is more likely to be a problem for US customers considering the quality of their roads.

Quote:
    CF said:
    I know of two private CGT owners who doesn't think it's a problem, neither the clutch or the ground clearance.
    European customers.

Ground clearance is more likely to be a problem for US customers considering the quality of their roads.

This is quickly becoming a very interesting topic. I think basically we will not know the answer to this until more cars are in the hands of the public and those people have had more time to get use to them.

I disagree about the roads though. Hands down, European conditions are more demanding. There's no doubt in my mind about this.

Stephen

CF, I don't agree with you regarding high powered automobiles with manual transmissions. I own a GT 3 (which is for sale) and trust me , the CGT clutch is a totally different animal. I would also assume you would include a Lamborghini Murcielago as the above type of automobile, which I owned from June '02 until I replaced it with another Murcielago(e-gear) in April of '04. Trust me, I do know how to drive a high powered automobile. The CGT clutch is very different.

CF, I don't agree with you regarding high powered automobiles with manual transmissions. I own a GT 3 (which is for sale) and trust me , the CGT clutch is a totally different animal. I would also assume you would include a Lamborghini Murcielago as the above type of automobile, which I owned from June '02 until I replaced it with another Murcielago(e-gear) in April of '04. Trust me, I do know how to drive a high powered automobile. The CGT clutch is very different.

Good to know we can jack it up 10 mm. I'm most definetely doing that too. My 996 cab has PSS9s on it and I have them set to the highest ride height possible. The car still handles on rails. I'm certain if Porsche thinks the stability is fine 10 mm higher, than by all means that's how I am going to get it.

Anyone know if we can have the factory set the car up the 10 mm so it arrives already done?

"And you are a conservative extremist?"

Fixedwing,

I have to admit that I am big time with regards to Porsche cars.

Please read my post and dont try to use just a part of it taking it out of the context. I was trying to joke and make it back exactly to what you suggested it should be - back to cars.

Quote:
    CF said:
    European customers.

Curious if your European friends are driving their CGT's primarily in largely flat areas. I ask b/c I hear significantly more complaints re: clutch (and ground clearance) from those in hilly regions of US (eg, SF/LA/NYC) as opposed to flat regions like Florida/Texas/Chicago.

Quote:
    lev said:
    "And you are a conservative extremist?"

Fixedwing,

I have to admit that I am big time with regards to Porsche cars.

Please read my post and dont try to use just a part of it taking it out of the context. I was trying to joke and make it back exactly to what you suggested it should be - back to cars.

Good. Then that makes two of us joking and two Porsche extremists.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Good. Then that makes two of us joking and two Porsche extremists.

Stephen

Make it three Porsche extremists. At least.

Regarding the CGT clutch issue: I have to admit that I never drove a CGT personally and right now I trust Larry's words that the CGT clutch is different and difficult to apply.
    But I had a similar "issue" with my 996 Turbo clutch too after RS-Tuning installed a race clutch including a one-mass flywheel. I couldn't get used to it for some time because I had only 5 mm or so of pedal way when it came to "open" or "closed". And I have to agree with CF that applying a bit more throttle wouldn't hurt the clutch and might be a temporary solution until one gets used to it.
    But as I said, the CGT is the only Porsche model I never drove myself and I wouldn't dare to tell Larry that he is not right.
    I'm pretty sure that there must be some sort of issue with the CGT clutch but I wonder if one can get used to it or not.
    I wish I could drive a CGT myself to be able to evaluate the whole clutch thing. Sorry but I think I'm as clueless as everybody else regarding this matter.

Driving a Carrera GT

RC, make a trip to Northern California and I will let your drive a CGT as much as you would like. Also, everyone who has driven my CGT, very experienced drivers all, have had difficulty with the clutch upon launch. After launch, it is the most fantastic automobile I have every owned. Cheers.

Re: Driving a Carrera GT

Quote:
    Larry B said:
    RC, make a trip to Northern California and I will let your drive a CGT as much as you would like. Also, everyone who has driven my CGT, very experienced drivers all, have had difficulty with the clutch upon launch. After launch, it is the most fantastic automobile I have every owned. Cheers.

Larry, I come every year to Florida but this offer really makes me think about a short trip to Northern California.
    But I'm not sure you want me to drive your CGT, I might not want to get out of it anymore.
    I really hope you get used to that clutch, Larry or maybe there is a problem and Porsche fixes it.
    Somebody who owns a Murcielago and a CGT must be a true car lover and car nutt and I have the deepest respect for your car choices. Life is good to you, Larry, enjoy it and have as much fun as possible.

Re: Driving a Carrera GT

R.C. Thanks for posting the track pictures. It was fun to drive three of my cars, on the track, in the same time frame. The CGT is by far the best of the three. The clutch, obviously, is not an issue in that venue. Driving the Murcielago this weekend and it is a great car as well. Certainly the easier of the two cars (CGT & Lambo) to drive on public roads. I will send a comparison of the two cars to the board after I have more experience with the CGT. The offer of seat time is an open invitation when you come to California. Thanks for the nice comments.

apparently the truck driver's insurance is claiming the CGT owner is at fault (for stalling it) and the CGT owner's insurance is not paying either because they would not have underwritten the car anyway. iow, the insurance company is claiming that since they would not have insured the car anyway, the normal 30 days to add the car to his policy does not apply.

btw larry, can you tell me who insures yours since not everyone will be insuring them. also, do you have an annual mileage limit/

Binder

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    apparently the truck driver's insurance is claiming the CGT owner is at fault (for stalling it) and the CGT owner's insurance is not paying either because they would not have underwritten the car anyway. iow, the insurance company is claiming that since they would not have insured the car anyway, the normal 30 days to add the car to his policy does not apply.

It is exceedingly rare that an underwriter will try to avoid a binder where there is no fraud. It makes them look very bad.

Similarly, the claims of the trucker's insurer also seem unsupportable.

Guess this is what happens when so much money is involved and the jaws of claims adjusters start hitting the floor.

I can imagine that there could be big issues with getting these cars insured. I think we might see the same sorts of problems on the new Lotus.

Stephen

Re: Binder

That is ridiculous. If you stall your car and someone hits you, it is not your fault. If that truck driver wins for that reason it will be a shame. Obviously he was following way to close.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

btw larry, can you tell me who insures yours since not everyone will be insuring them. also, do you have an annual mileage limit/

I've got to think there are 2-3 insurance agents in LaJolla/RanchoSantaFe that are very familiar insuring the many Enzo/CGT/575/Murci, etc running around SD (after all, SD has several billionaire/centimillionaire plaintiffs' lawyers and numerous wealthy postal scam operators) and paying for the occasional toy broken by an overexuberant driver. Perhaps this CGT owner was excessively frugal and got a great deal on his insurance at an insurer offering a "rock bottom premium".....perhaps he can use one of SD's legendary lawyers to help litigate this relatively petty issue....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781904 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442837 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263486 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261900 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6008 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819643 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM