Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 GT3 Specifications: Opinions

Specifying options is obviously a very personal thing, but I would appreciate your opinions. The car will be my main car.

To give you an idea of my uses: 1) I will not drive every day. 2) It will be my main car, but I'll also have access to a BMW 5-series. 3) I will not often go on tracks. (I know - sacrilege, but being realistic that's the truth). But I am a VERY keen driver and want something even more engaging than my 997 C2S

My idea was as follows:
    Meteor Grey metallic
    Bucket seats - full leather
    Club Sport
    Bi-Xenon
    Cruise control
    PCM
    Red Belts
    Floor mats
    Sound pack

That's it.

Am I right to pass on the PCCBs given the expense and the fact that the steel discs are excellent?

I definately want bucket seats, so am I right to got Club Sport, or would it be better to go without the cage given I will not go on track much?

Should I go for only half leather rather than full leather? I quite like the idea of extra luxury, but if the ancatara suits the GT3 better I may pass and save Pounds1,650. Does half leather still have a nice leather dash like on my Carerra 2S?

Thanks everyone for any input.

Simon.

Re: 997 GT3 Specifications: Opinions

How on earth have you got an allocation for a GT3? Or haven't you and just preempting the Mk II

Looks good but for everyday use, personally I'd look at the comfort pack.

Simon, you can't get full leather carbon fibre bucket seats with clubsport spec in UK. The seats will be in the fire proof fabric in clubsport spec. Without clubsport you will get them in leather. The CF buckets are worth getting even for road driving !!! Also, get the wheels sprayed black they will look good. When is production of the car and when are you expecting physical delivery ? Enjoy

Guys, appreciate the feedback. I've got a late allocation for the Mk1 997 GT3, having bought a number of Zuffenhausen ponies before. But still consider my self lucky. I have a build slot in Jan 08 and expect it very soon after... maybe end Jan early Feb.

Sounds like I may go full leather and comfort specification but with carbon fibre bucket seats. Dealer was steering me towards club sport, but I was not convinced. He was also telling me some BS about should strongly consider the sport chrono pack to get "more power and revs" but according to feedback I've had on this site that is not true for the GT3. With the sport button you still get the extra few hundred RPM and a few more bhp, but without the clock. (I know many people like the clock, but I prefer to have a cleaner looking dash). Thanks - Simon.

Personally I would get the PCCBs. I wish I ordered them on my TT and it just seems even more appropriate for the GT cars.

Quote:
    SimonWall said:

Meteor Grey metallic
    Bucket seats - full leather
    Club Sport
    Bi-Xenon
    Cruise control
    PCM
    Red Belts
    Floor mats
    Sound pack
    I definately want bucket seats, so am I right to got Club Sport, or would it be better to go without the cage given I will not go on track much?

Should I go for only half leather rather than full leather? I quite like the idea of extra luxury, but if the ancatara suits the GT3 better I may pass and save Pounds1,650. Does half leather still have a nice leather dash like on my Carerra 2S?

Thanks everyone for any input.

Simon.

I went
    Arctic Silver
    Full Leather (lifts interior)
    Crested seats (As above & cheap addition)
    PCM (re-sale & because I hate stick on stuff)
    Sound Pack (because the standard system is CRAP)
    Cruise (speed cameras)
    Xenons (A must for UK driving with this grunt!)

Up until the current series the GT3 was simply too harsh for most to use as their main car, so much of the advice you get from everyone is based on how it was, with the 996 you bought clubsport or you may have problems selling! This is not the case with the 997, it can be used each day & as such you can have the best of both worlds, a road racer & daily driver in one, so why not add a few sensible toys it won't affect the driving!
    I use the car daily & feel the buckets are just too awkward to get in & out of, I know of two people who sold their car early just because the buckets were a pain to circumvent, for them & their passengers. But they do hold you in place better feel a tad more "special" I have a C-G lock with the standard seats which holds the seat belt in place for better lateral support, costs about Pounds40!!!!! I don't like all the scaffolding behind the seats either, ok worthwhile if you are going to track it all the time, but otherwise its all rather boy racer IMO, harder to pop my coat & case behind the seats! So am not a fan of the clubsport, you also loose thorax airbag & side pockets with the clubsport pack!
    The full leather still comes with Alcantara touches throughout the cabin & seats, worth it in an Pounds80k car IMO, but the plastic is much better than the 996's effort, so acceptable to save some dosh!
    As ever you pay your money & take your choice, but I am loving the car, it is an awesome driving machine whatever spec you choose.

I got the PCCBs and am glad I did. Yes, they are a very expensive option, but you're buying a very expensive car and these yellow brakes make it complete. If you can afford them and you're on the fence, definitely go for PCCB. I've seldom heard anyone regret they got an option they didn't use; it's usually the ohter way around: "I should have gotten this option, now it's too late."

If you are making payments, and the cost of the PCCBs could put the payments out of reach, then that's another story. I also know people who passed for that reason alone. They regret not having PCCB, but they simply couldn't swing the payments with the yellow brakes.

Quote:
    porkernut said:
    ...you also loose thorax airbag & side pockets with the clubsport pack!
    The full leather still comes with Alcantara touches throughout the cabin & seats, worth it in an Pounds80k car IMO, but the plastic is much better than the 996's effort, so acceptable to save some dosh!

Didn't know about the airbag loss. Thanks. I'm really looking towards getting the comfort pack. However, I think I will stick with bucket seats. I want something a bit more radical that the sport seats in my C2S. Plus I am agile enough to get in and out of buckets without problems. Girlfriend is pretty flexible too, and she's been warned about the snug seats!

Simon the thorax air bag is located in the standard sports seats, so you loose them because of the buckets.

I can understand why you want the buckets they do look great in leather & hold you very well whilst adding to the sense of occasion! But just be aware that it does get tiresome clambering in & out if you are using a fair bit, I'm plenty agile enough to get into them as well but elected not to get them & don't regret it, plus the small matter of Pounds3k extra!!!

Decisions decisions...

PCCB first of all. I've driven both standard steels and PCCB equipped cars. PCCB as fitted to the 997GT3 (380mm front disks as opposed to 350mm with the standard steels) are the best brakes I've ever experienced in a road car. Incredibly powerful, brilliant feel through the pedal. ultra consistent response...plus lot less unsprung weight, no brake dust, no corrosion. If you can afford it - do it!

I would also strongly recommend the bucket seats. They locate you much better and they are of course much lighter than the sports seats. On the cage I would say it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Most future buyers are going to want either a full clubsport with cage and buckets...or a comfort with sports seats and no cage. So if you are at all concerned about future resale I would say go one way or the other.

Without the cage you can't fit a 6 point safety harness if you get more into track days in the future (highly likely as the GT3 is orgasmic and addictive on track!). Bear in mind the cage also increases rigidity (for improved handling) as well as greatly increasing passive safety on road and track.

Finally consider the small carbon pack (gets you beautifully crafted handbrake and gearknob) and rear centre console in carbon or exterior colour - either will complement the other interior options you've selected.

I have driven 997 GT3's with both Comfort and Clubsport seats and imho the latter are a must have. They are so comfortable and for me offer a much better driving position sp I view their Pounds3k cost as an irrelevance. If you are agile they are not difficult to get in and out of if you can open the car door fully. If you cant open fully, just slide the seat backwards to give yourself more room.

My wife looked at the design and thought she would hate them but reckons they are the most comfortable and supportive car seats she has ever sat in.

Looks like you also ride an MV Agusta! Nice bike. I ride a Ducati 999.

Thanks for the opinions. I'll do the Porsche Driving Experience day in September, so hopefully will get to experience any difference between PCCB and steel dics on GT3s when I try the cars there.

When I was there last month the PDE fleet consisted of a White GT3 with steel brakes and an Orange RS with ceramics. The RS had 9,000 miles on it and the discs looked brand new. By comparison the GT3 with a similar mileage was on it's 2nd set of discs.

Might be tricky for you to try both cars. Normally you spend the entire time in the car you have ordered. Get your request in early over breakfast with the other customers.

I'd email the Porsche experience guys & check whats on offer.
    On my day (well its a half day actually)they had two 997GT3's one with ceramics & Clubsport pack & one in comfort spec. I couldn't really tell any difference between the brakes, the instructor said they both offered pretty much the same stopping power but the Ceramics were more resisted fade! The lack of brake dust is tempting, mine sheds dust like a dust shedding thing! But I am still put off by how badly Porsche treated everyone with the mark 1 ceramics & none of us know how they will last in the long term, just look at the cost of replacements!!!!!!! If more bad stories come out you will have to fit a steel set to sell the car on, although hopefully that won't be the case!
    I agree with all the other guys say about the buckets but still harping on.... I do strongly suggest you try getting out the car in a parking spot or garage before you decide for sure, it is your main car & good as they are they will give you issues!

Great feedback. Thanks guys.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777446 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441785 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262808 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261011 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816071 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM