Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2017 Mexican F1 Grand Prix

Mexico next

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2017 Mexican F1 Grand Prix

Totally off topic, but just had one of my favorite Mexican dinners/cocktails in Berlin (La Lucha) kiss

http://laluchaberlin.com/

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I love the F1 interest on this board :-)

LH just bagged his 4th title. Verstappen did a great race, so did Vettel after a self-inflicted race from the back of the pack.

Are we looking forward to 2018? hmmmmm.....

--

997.1 C4 Silver (current), 996.1C4 (sold), 997.1C2S (sold) 986.1S (sold)

What a weird race it was! Finally Verstappen was able to show what he is capable of with a good car.... However, sadly this resulted in a boring race for him (and us Verstappen fans). 

I am baffled by the Renault issues the past two races; in the beginning of the season Max had a lot of reliability issues, now it seems to be Ricciardo's turn.

For the championship, I would have loved for Hamilton not to finish with points and Vettel to score 2nd, but I guess Hamilton earned the championship anyway. He has been so dominant and constant, truly remarkable. He must have had some kind of damage, cause it surprised me a lot that he couldn't overtake any of the cars in the beginning... hadn't expected that.

I am positively surprised with Stroll... in the beginning of the season, I really wanted to see him go with all his crashes, but he seems to have learned quite quickly.

Magnussen did great as well, not crashing and not having crashed into someone else this time!

Looking forward to next race, would love to see Ham/Vet/Max/Ric fight it out on the front rows!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I can see that the Vettel boys are quiet Smiley  Lewis Hamilton, you have done us proud. Smiley

Vettel fans boys acknowledge German car manufacturing supremacy. Period :-)

--

well it's more a English car with Austrian Man power indecision

BjoernB:

still carries a German brand :-)

You wouldn't say that Ferrari's Schumacher/Todt era wasn't Italian would you? Smiley

--

Well I'm a Vettel boy by default, support Ferrari 😡

Well done to Hamilton and Merc they were consummate professionals and thoroughly deserved both titles !!!

Is Red Bull going to rehire Kvyat and then fire him again so that Max can win again? smiley

Just as McLaren prepared to receive Renault engines starting next year, those Renaults start blowing up and the Honda became reliable.........

The Alonso curse continues 

--

I don't believe in superstitions or bad luck but Alonso is making it mighty difficult not to 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Jeannot:
    BjoernB:

You wouldn't say that Ferrari's Schumacher/Todt era wasn't Italian would you? Smiley

German English with Ross Brawn I would say Smiley

BjoernB:
    Jeannot:
    BjoernB:

German English with Ross Brawn I would say Smiley

Oops forgot Brawn :-)

Well I hope now that he is an insider of the F1 'business' that he will suggest some regulations change to make this show a bit more exciting...

--

agree ! I hope RedBull with Max as well as McLaren with Alonso will be competitive in 2018 - and hopefully Renault will not do in 2018 what Honda did in 2017 indecision

Vettel congratulated his title rival Hamilton, by saying, among other compliments, that he was "the better man this year". A real sporting attitude by Vettel.

However, what backmarker Alonso had to say was that "Hamilton had it too easy in 2017".

This type of outlook is the reason why Alonso comes across as a sour and spiteful individual and is not generally liked in spite of his talent.

BTW It's been admitted by Mercedes F1 and Lauda himself that this year's Mercedes car is "very difficult to drive" expressly implying that this year's achievement is down to Hamilton's brilliance.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

One was being a hypocrite because he is far from being known for his sporting behavior, and the other one was just being honest and saying what we all know, Mercedes faced no competition again this year, in this case I'd take the honest one myself as long as he is not being disrespectful. And it was no disrespect to Hamilton's driving, he could have driven the best races of his career this year, but that does not take away for the fact that he faced no real competition as the other cars were not at the same level, i.e. he had it easy. One thing does not deny from the other, having no competition this year does not detract from how he drove himself this year. A lesser driver may not have had it easy even with the car's advantage for example.

There is no competition in F1, its a caricature of what it once was, one just has to just take a look at MotoGP and see what competition and racing is really about.

--

+1

Carlos from Spain:

One was being a hypocrite because he is far from being known for his sporting behavior, and the other one was just being honest and saying what we all know, Mercedes faced no competition again this year, in this case I'd take the honest one myself as long as he is not being disrespectful. And it was no disrespect to Hamilton's driving, he could have driven the best races of his career this year, but that does not take away for the fact that he faced no real competition as the other cars were not at the same level, i.e. he had it easy. One thing does not deny from the other, having no competition this year does not detract from how he drove himself this year. A lesser driver may not have had it easy even with the car's advantage for example.

There is no competition in F1, its a caricature of what it once was, one just has to just take a look at MotoGP and see what competition and racing is really about.

I beg to differ Carlos.

Vettel was keeping a sporting etiquette (and in doing that he was telling the truth about his rival) whilst Alonso was his usual bitter and unpleasant self.

I believe Alonso is so envious of Hamilton's achievements and glory since the latter entered F1, that he cannot articulate a good word about the star driver of the last 10 years.

Vettel might not have been always correct on the track and for this he has been criticised, but at least he has proved that he has no complex in praising an outstanding rival.

There is no competition in F1 because Mercedes are too good for Ferrari and McLaren; the losing teams should up their game rather than seek ways of reducing the advantage of the leading team.

--

He was not being bitter:

"Last year he had Nico until the last race, fighting every single race.

"This year was too easy. Mercedes four races to the end constructors' champion, Hamilton three races before the end drivers' champion.

"Hopefully McLaren-Renault will change this easy time for them."

I think you are reading too much into it, Hamilton and Alonso have buried the hatchet years ago and have said nothing but good things about each other since.  Alonso was just reflecting on Mercedes dominance this season which is no secret or do you think otherwise?. It does not take away from the fact that Hamilton did a great season regardless.

--

Yeah I’m with you Carlos. Don’t think Hamilton and Alonso have issues with each other nowadays, and I think they both acknowledge that the other is a brilliant driver. Would really love to see a strong Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren next year. Imagine a Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Verstappen, Ricciardo 5 way fight!!!

My prediction is that as long as Mercedes stay in F1 they will be untouchable. The others including Ferrari do not have the engineering prowess and importantly  the team management or the mixture of both to overcome.

Hamilton is not only fast and a top qualifier but he rarely makes mistakes during races. In general Hamilton's racecraft is the best in the field and the best we've seen for a long time.

Best driver in the best car = no contest.

Max looks like the next best thing in F1. I hope he doesn't make the mistake to go to Ferrari and be wasted like Alonso and now Vettel.

McLaren? I expect they will be the new Williams i.e. dominant in their era but once they've been  down they shall not be able to re-surface.

RBR? Probably Mateschitz will eventually quit F1 and sell the team to a manufacturer. Probably one from the VW Group once the diesel-scandal bill is paid off. I don't expect championships but the odd win as long as Adria Newey stays there.

--

WAY:

Yeah I’m with you Carlos. Don’t think Hamilton and Alonso have issues with each other nowadays, and I think they both acknowledge that the other is a brilliant driver. 

So much so that Alonso has stated after Vettel's 4 championships titles that Hamilton was the best driver in the grid, not Vettel, that was already before Hamilton started winning again. And recently said that Hamilton has had wins with the best car but also other without the best car which differentiates him from the others. And in turn Hamilton just recently said to Fox Sports that Fernando was the best driver on the grid and the one that should of won the most, and repeated after Mexico race that he felt Alonso was the best. So they both have each other in highest regard as the best driver and have no problems in publicly saying so. 

Still, I wouldn't put those two alfas in the same team though indecision

Would really love to see a strong Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren next year. Imagine a Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Verstappen, Ricciardo 5 way fight!!!

eek.gif  One can only dream! Smiley

--

Following Hamilton's achievements and universal recognition, Alonso would look like a certified fool to say anything less.

And Hamilton can express his accolades about Alonso now that the latter is a harmless opponent in a rubbish car.

yes

--

Same achievements and recognition vettel was getting after winning four consecutive world titles, yet Alonso couldn't care less and said Hamilton was the best driver in the grid not vettel, this was before he was getting all the current achievements and recognition  ... If you think Alonso cares then you don't know him, he will speak his mind, for better or for worse, but at least you know he is being honest and not a politically correct politian.

--

Carlos, you obviously have a better insight into Alonso's personality, being his fellow countryman. He is more exposed to the Spanish media than elsewhere, understandably and people in Spain get to know Alonso the man not just the driver, better.

If you say so, I have to believe you.  Probably Alonso is misunderstood.

--

Alonso is misunderstood by Honda engines smiley

--

reginos:

Carlos, you obviously have a better insight into Alonso's personality, being his fellow countryman. He is more exposed to the Spanish media than elsewhere, understandably and people in Spain get to know Alonso the man not just the driver, better.

If you say so, I have to believe you.  Probably Alonso is misunderstood.

--

Don't get me wrong, I understand he rubs a some people the wrong way sometimes and he is perfectly capable of saying something insulting as he doesn't really care and does not always hold back, just that in this specific case his words were taken a bit out of context, probably given his background I guess. In regards to Hamilton he currently holds no beef anymore, nor hamilton with him wink ... I'd wager that would change in just a few weeks if they were back in the same team thoughindecision

--

a little OT, but interesting video nonetheless:

One of the comments down below : "Yo Honda!! Watch this video would ya". So true 

--

White 991.2 GT3, V260 March 2018

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM