Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

The open top aspect as it is a car I instinctively want to drive on sunny days. I still have my 981 Spyder as well but the targa is a very different, more relaxed grand tourer type experience.

Thanks ISUK, makes sense with the Targa being the opposite end of the scale to the Spyder when it comes to open top driving experience Smiley For now I fell for the "less is more" thing but I am sure once I'll look for the "egg laying wool milk pig" (as we say in Germany Smiley) a couple of years down the road it will be a Targa Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

Porsche-Jeck:

You are right: the showrooms are flooded with GTSs these days, but I recall it was somewhat similar with the 997 GTS marking then end of the 997 lifecycle - just as now with the 991. The big difference is that the cars now hitting the showrooms have to be registered in Germany end of August latest due to new emission laws requiring the particle filter from September for new cars. A P-person told me that they have an allowance for 20% of the stock to be registered somewhat later, but stil....provides customers with a nice bargaining argument Smiley

Smiley Indeed. Now is the time to get one here in Germany...if someone doesn't want a 992 (or cannot afford it). The GTS is an awesome car, very nice sounding, very nice to drive, I was pleasantly surprised.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I love the Targa. Great car and in my opinion the best 911 except for the GT models. 

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

I love the Targa. Great car and in my opinion the best 911 except for the GT models. 

Old fart's car...but if you like it... Smiley Smiley

Don't worry, one of my best friends has one and after he got it, we bought him a box of cigars, a nice bottle of Scotch...and an urn. Smiley Smiley He is the sportiest guy of us all, so we had to do that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Congratulations Smiley and snap Smiley:

1450975381666DSC_7508.jpg

RC:
    Porsche-Jeck:

You are right: the showrooms are flooded with GTSs these days, but I recall it was somewhat similar with the 997 GTS marking then end of the 997 lifecycle - just as now with the 991. The big difference is that the cars now hitting the showrooms have to be registered in Germany end of August latest due to new emission laws requiring the particle filter from September for new cars. A P-person told me that they have an allowance for 20% of the stock to be registered somewhat later, but stil....provides customers with a nice bargaining argument Smiley

Smiley Indeed. Now is the time to get one here in Germany...if someone doesn't want a 992 (or cannot afford it). The GTS is an awesome car, very nice sounding, very nice to drive, I was pleasantly surprised.

SmileySmileySmiley Agree. The GTS is a great car. Fantastic sounding and a pleasure to drive.

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

Very NIce Targa....Enjoy ISUK

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

T-Day minus 4 😎

Blueflame

E91F0363-2EA1-45FD-999E-20594100688B.jpeg

blueflame:

T-Day minus 4 😎

Blueflame

Me too Smiley though at 15:00 and at my dealership, not at the factory Smiley

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Cool, bluelines kiss Not too many working days left then next week indecision I wish you tons of  fun when picking up the T in Zuffenhausen and of course I am keen to learn about your first impressions accompanied by some eye candy of course wink

@ Joel: better earlier at the PZ than later at the factory Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

This is cruel...no car during the holiday day (May 1st). Smiley Smiley

Can't wait to see first pics... Smiley

--

PJ, Gauss and blueflame,

Enjoy your rides guys.

Good to see you back on, PJ. Hope all your future ventures bring you the best of luck. kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Gauss:

Only 2 weeks between built date and delivery. Is that the usual time span?

Coming back to your question, Joel: I meanwhile learned that target day for "Zählpunkt 8" (production of car completed) will be 8th June, while target delivery day at PZ will be 15th June (so exactly 1 week between built date and delivery).

@ throt: thanks for the good wishes Smiley I understand your impressive hairdo is wandering south over the years - hairy chest, mhhhm Smiley Looking forward to see your GT3 hairy chest edition SmileySmiley

--

Smiley,’

”Hairy Chest Edition’’, you’ll give Porsche some ideas, buddy Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Smiley,’

Lovely. It'll feature a mohawk over the roof centerline and a full fur front hood... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:
    throt:

Smiley,’

Lovely. It'll feature a mohawk over the roof centerline and a full fur front hood... Smiley

and this interior angrysmiley

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

brrrr... the horror! Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Gauss:
    Joost:
    throt:

Smiley,’

--

2018 White 911 GT3

I got all itchy just looking at that Smiley..Tickly interior for the girlies Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Porsche-Jeck:

Hi guys, haven’t been around lately (too much stuff to do in the analogue life) but now I am all in for the less is more motto by slowly phasing out my professionel career towards a very tolerable level of fifty billable days or so p.a. from Spring next year Smiley

I am glad to see that the usual suspects are still around and this thread gave me a lot of smiles due to the déja vu regarding the points discussed (too expensive, not enough hp, misleading model designation, parts bin exercise etc.). Should spend more time on RT again as the discussions are big fun SmileySmiley

When I read through the thread I felt it’s time to join with a view to support the very few Porsche marketing victims who dared to buy the T as they obviously ran out of money to buy a GT3 Touring Smiley

I think you all completely missed that the T serves a special niche just perfectly: the T does not stand for Touring, it stands for Transporter – well in my case actually for dog transporter SmileySmiley

We have a lovely dog joining the family since 4 months and my corporate car will hit the used car market in about a year, hence we’ll need a new car serving as DD (car for my private business as well) and for spontaneous trips (will have plenty of time for this from Spring next year) which can seat two human beings and a four footer. We started to look for the usual suspects (SUVs, BMW Tourings and the like) but nothing really appealed to us Smiley

I wasn’t even aware of the T, when my neighbour (also a Porsche geek) brought my attention to the T: „you can have that without the rear seats – nice place to be for your dog“.Smiley

911 as a dog transporter sounded crazy to me at first, but then I started to like the idea more and more….of course I instantly was reminding Watt’s great thread with his Sun Smiley and I started to check 911 alternatives with extensive drives in 991.2 GTS Cab and 991.2 GTS Targa (allrounders maybe even replacing the beloved 981 SpyderSmiley – which is what I thought before testing these great cars, but after the testing I felt I would miss the Spyder). I even thought about a GT3 Touring (still can have an allocation), but I guess the fun may vanish if you use it as a DD.

Well, finally I settled for a T and ordered one Smiley The spec with pano-roof and tinted rear windows may go against the ethos of the car and even may trigger deployment of the RT Porsche ethos squad but hey the dog needs to stay cool and his poopies have to blow out of the car somewhow Smiley

Also I deliberately did not tick the RAS box, as it takes away a bit from the traditional 911 feeling bringing the driving experience a bit more towards the mid-engined P-cars and I want diversity (if swapping seats Spyder vs. 911). The 370 horses are good enough for a DD (straightline performance is similar to the 981 Spyder which I have no complaints about and just in case it will be easy to add some ponies to the 3.0 turbo), and the better gearbox (shorter geared and shorter throws) in combination with the small turbos spooling up quick should provide a nice driving experience at „reasonable“ speeds – probably also accompanied by a bit better sound due to less sound damping material in the T. I am a sucker for the T-interior and also like the slim hip classic 911 design. As for pricing: a similar specced Carrera (virtually adding the price for the SPASM) would be 4,800 Euros less here in Germany for my spec– no big deal if you like the T-interior, the enhanced manual and the other small design things (love to have the clean dashboard without the wart while keeping the SC performance features). Also I expect depreciation to be just a little better than for the standard Carrera (nothing dramatic though - more like the former BE late cycle model variants).

@ blueflame and the other few courageous P-marketing victims: many congrats on getting the T and let’s share real world experiences here Smiley

Cheers to everyone Smiley

--

Hi Achim Smiley

Good to see you around here again and congratulations on ordering a 911T. Smiley 

We are still very well pleased with our Boxster GTS, three years on and no wish to change for the new model with its awful flat four engine, I have tried several and experience of it does not improve my opinion of it Smiley

I have a “letter of intent” with our dealer for the 718 GT4, Smiley confidence is not high that I will actually get offered one, or even its suitability as much as I would love to own one of Porsche’s GT models. 

My professional life has come to an end with my retirement two months ago, the weather here has been bad so not used our GTS much so far this year but we have some tours planned.  Maybe in the not too distant future we can meet again Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Time to move to Portugal?

SciFrog:

You moved to Miami and you want him to move to Portugal? Smiley Smiley

I would actually move to South Spain, many UK "exclaves" with retirees there, he would probably feel at home. Smiley

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

I would actually move to South Spain, many UK "exclaves" with retirees there, he would probably feel at home. Smiley

The thing is - will us Brits still be welcome in EU countries after Brexit? Spain would be too hot for us in summer, 25 C about the max for us to be comfortable

--

dreamcar:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

The thing is - will us Brits still be welcome in EU countries after Brexit? Spain would be too hot for us in summer, 25 C about the max for us to be comfortable

There is no "too hot" and don't forget that you get to have an A/C in your house, so whenever you feel uncomfortable outside, you either crank up the A/C or you jump into your pool. Smiley Smiley

Why shouldn't Brits not be welcomed anywhere? Your money is as good as any money. Smiley Smiley

--

Portugal very nice though love the people and very nice near the coast on the Algarve. We must admit UK can be quite depressing, overcrowded, poorly maintained roads and everything under funded. We’ve had a long cold and wet winter which hasn’t helped either! Smiley pouring with rain as I write this!

--

dreamcar:

Portugal very nice though love the people and very nice near the coast on the Algarve. We must admit UK can be quite depressing, overcrowded, poorly maintained roads and everything under funded. We’ve had a long cold and wet winter which hasn’t helped either! Smiley pouring with rain as I write this!

Don't worry, I understand you well. Smiley

If you can afford it, move to a sunnier place. If not, maybe you can do some extensive vacationing (3-4 months...), there are some nice all-inclusive resorts in various locations which offer a good value for your money, even for extended stays. Not five star resorts of course but still...the weather is good, people are nice, food is good, so... Smiley 

--

dreamcar:

Portugal is a nice place to retire, they offer good conditions for foreigners that want to retire there and Portuguese are very very welcoming. Also you have plenty of coastal places with good weather (hot in the south, milder in the north) and overall cost of living in Portugal is more economical than its neighbors.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    dreamcar:

Portugal is a nice place to retire, they offer good conditions for foreigners that want to retire there and Portuguese are very very welcoming. Also you have plenty of coastal places with good weather (hot in the south, milder in the north) and overall cost of living in Portugal is more economical than its neighbors.

True...big downside is the ocean temperature though. Pretty cold (for my taste).

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    dreamcar:

True...big downside is the ocean temperature though. Pretty cold (for my taste).

Yes, that is true, the Atlantic is colder than mediterranean though, but then again if you do water sports you use neoprene anyways, and there is always swimming in pools instead.

But yes, I don't like cold water, never did, guess I have low tolerance, though others don't mind at all, one of my friends is a Spanish apnea diving champion (now that is a sport that takes a lot of guts Smiley) and does submarine fishing every weekend, he doesn't mind it at all. When we were kids he and I and other friends spent the summers at the beach in houses on the beach front and we use to go snorkel spear fishing as small children, and I would be the one that lasted least time in the water because I would get cold. He could stay in for hours. Another of the guys in the gang became a profesional swimmer too. I guess I was the one that preferred petrol over water Smiley 

When I go to the beach I don't usually get in the water, if I do it is to do a swimming workout were I don't stop moving and produce heat, and have my pool at home is heated to 32ºC during the summer season... perfect for a cold blooded reptile like me Smiley

Oh, and I forgot, Portugal has great driving roads and speed enforcement is sensible, not like other EU countries. Big big plus for guys like us here.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Costa del Sol (a village called Mijas, near Marbella) is my happy place kiss

Cheap, cheerful, great food & wine, friendly people, and we love our apartment there. Ideal for the summers when Dubai turns into a sauna

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690456 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255991 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774663 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM