Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

X-Country Move on U-Haul Trailer

I am going to move my 997 from Texas to Indiana on a U-Haul 'Auto Transport' trailer. I am concerned about low-ground clearance of car and getting it on the trailer. U-Haul has instructions, but wonder if anyone has experience and tips for best practices.

Also, since I will be new to snowy climate, looking for recommendations for all-season and/or snow tires.

Thanks

Re: X-Country Move on U-Haul Trailer

You might need some DIY planking to ease the approach angle. 2x8s with some 2x4 blocks stacked variously underneath for support will do the trick. That's how I'd hope to do it. Get a "shark" handsaw to cross cut and bevel the ends of the 2x8s if necessary; they cut very fast.

Check your tie downs every 200 miles,--minimum!

Quote:
    Dan L said:

Yeah, and do not let anything touch the surface of the car (tarps, bras, tiedowns, whatever) because it will likely chafe and ruin paint and finishes.

Matter of fact I would apply a thick coat of _carnauba_ wax and LEAVE IT ON THE CAR (don't remove haze until trip's over). Wash the over-waxed car first _before_rubbing to remove the wax.

Good tips & thanks.

Quote:
    paulg1 said:
    Good tips & thanks.

Yeah, good luck and keep us posted.

Bridgestone AS960 all season tyres?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Yeah, and do not let anything touch the surface of the car (tarps, bras, tiedowns, whatever) because it will likely chafe and ruin paint and finishes.

Matter of fact I would apply a thick coat of _carnauba_ wax and LEAVE IT ON THE CAR (don't remove haze until trip's over). Wash the over-waxed car first _before_rubbing to remove the wax.

Guys this is a CAR not a kid. If the car gets dirty just wash it. What is so different about towing a car on a trailer then driving it?

Quote:
    bstew said:

Guys this is a CAR not a kid. If the car gets dirty just wash it. What is so different about towing a car on a trailer then driving it?

Yeah..., I dunno..., maybe you're right. But all sorts of cr*p can get on it when driving XC. That's why cars have Bras. Also, being towed _behind_ a vehicle on an open trailer has different aerodynamics which seem likely make car a magnet for excessive amounts road grime. Also, maybe "crappy" wax job makes amateur vandals less likely to want to mess with it.

Hey, just a suggestion (the carnauba) if Paulg1 has 15 minutes to burn he can wax it. BTW, he's gotta wax the car anyway might as well get more use out of _this_ wax job.

Going from TX to indiana is a long trip.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Going from TX to indiana is a long trip.

Not really. I do road trips longer than that. If I were in his case... I would have someone drive the U-Haul and I would drive the Porsche.

Texas to Indiana...I'd just drive it for sure. Then drive a rental or fly back to TX.

Or you can drive the U-Haul and come back to get your P-car to drive it to Indiana. Thats what i did on my move to Pittsburgh from NJ. But thats a 6-7 hour trip Or just pay a moving company to transport it for you. I was a bit uneasy about tranporting a near 100K car never having trailered anything before. So I was going to do the u-Haul thing too but then decided i would just put some miles on the 997 and just came back to NJ to pick it up. That was a fun day. Long drive in a 997 on an early sunday morning. Hope it all works out for you.

TX to IN is about 1000 miles (center of state to CoS).

No way I'd drive that unless I was doing back roads and had a week or longer. Doing the trip with a new girlfriend would help too.

I could (but why?) drive my BMW 1000 miles on the interstate but not my 997s. The car is too cramped and intense driver feedback also that frickin' engine drone (engineered sound) would drive me nuts if it were a drive-to-get-there-ASAP.

You "drive-there" guys must be in your 20s.

Hey we buy them to drive them. Drive it baby drive it.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Hey we buy them to drive them. Drive it baby drive it.

LOL. Yes, good point. Huccum you make such good sense bstew?

If I were driving from Dallas to Indianapolis in my Porsche I'd like to have a limo follow me.

When I got tired, we'd pull over and I'd get in the limo, while a professional driver got out of the limo to drive my 997S.

Just an idea... .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    TX to IN is about 1000 miles (center of state to CoS).
    No way I'd drive that unless I was doing back roads and had a week or longer
    The car is too cramped and intense driver feedback also that frickin' engine drone (engineered sound) would drive me nuts if it were a drive-to-get-there-ASAP.

RU serious--5 days for a 1000 mile trip?!?! The Carrera cramped and intense?
    The car's a delight to drive long distances. And use some ear plugs if you don't like the engine noise. I just did nearly 1000 miles a few weekends ago. Great trip! (Ventura to Redwood City, Monterey and surrounding areas)

Hey uzj, yeah I could do 1000 miles in 5 days eeeeeasy in my 997S.

I'd just hate to have to do it ASAP in order to get somewhere on the interstate.

Not the best car for 16hr days on dull boring interstate.

FWIW, I would probably not make it because I'd be doing 130mph for a few hundred miles out of sheer boredom and _THEN_ get jailed for speeding.

MMD: Just as an FYI, I and my wife do interstate traveling on our 11 whenever we have a chance. We just did an 850 mile (one-way) SF to Salt Lake City in 2 days, because we wanted to stop over in Tahoe (driving the twisty I50 up and down the mountains), otherwise we could do it in a day. Besides the mountain roads it is also exhilarating doing triple digits in Nevada and in Utah along the fabled 30-mile straight by the Bonneville Salt Flats.

I know 911 drivers in their 60s who do it all the time. The 911 is a very comfortable and excellent road car. Far better than a sedan. You obviously never experienced it.

These cars are only weekend polish-and-spit toys for poseurs. Aficionados drive them all the time and everywhere.

Quote:
    MMD said:If I were driving from Dallas to Indianapolis in my Porsche I'd like to have a limo follow me.

When I got tired, we'd pull over and I'd get in the limo, while a professional driver got out of the limo to drive my 997S.

I get out of my 996 C4 after a 300 mile stint fresh and fatigued out of a Town Car. I know cause I've done it. You have never tried it, have you?

An soft suspended limo is far more fatiguing than a taut controlled suspension. The average - physics-ignorant - person thinks otherwise, I know. It has to do with low-frequency filtering (Porsche) vs. high-frequency filtering (Town Car) and how human bodies react to either. On a first blush people think a sharp blow (high frequencies) over an expansion joint may be fatiguing, but it isn't. What's fatiguing is the constant boat wallowing of a soft suspended vehicle (low frequencies) which is tossing your body mass up and down doing real work.

I'm more and more convinced that these days Porsches are bought for show. Owners never really use them and never know them.

I did Dallas to Denver non-stop last September - left at 8am was home at 7pm - tired but not fatigued.

Quote:
    ADias said:

I'm more and more convinced that these days Porsches are bought for show. Owners never really use them and never know them.

Hey, I drive..., I drive..., Geez.

I avoid long drives on the interstate as much as possible in favor of chartering a small plane. Two or four seater Cessnas will get you 3-400 miles distance for fewer than us$200. Then there're the big airlines and commuters.

I like to spend time driving for fun. If I _have_ to be somewhere more than 200 miles away I fly. Don't wanna spend four hours on a busy cop-infested interstate and four hours back for a short visit somewhere.

No matter which car you drive you're still seen as a "land-snail" from the air.

Too many hazards (cops, traffic jams, car damage, accidents) on boring expressways. Doesn't matter if you're driving in a Porsche or a 7 series BMW. Of course scenic back roads are another story but you can't "get somewhere" from there.

IMO, of course.

My car is equal to or better than the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. I can drive for many hours w/o fatigue, being cramped, bored, or my arthritis flaring up. ( and I'm 6'6", 250lbs) . It's been one of the more very pleasant surprises of owning this wonderful machine. Just drive, baby!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    ( and I'm 6'6", 250lbs)

I'd say that's about as good an endorsement as you can get. I'd guess you're at just about the max, size wise, to fit into a 911. Maybe getting in and getting out takes as long as some of your trips

Yeah, I'm sure I look like an arthritic spider getting in and out of my P-car. But the effort is well worth it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754757 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431378 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258832 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255801 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79805 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868799 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802690 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM