Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

When I was in Zuffenhausen at the factory I was asking exactly that question the tour-guide (you can argue this of course) - but he said every GT engine is tested with a "gas" to check for leaks (a machine then sniffs tiniest cylinder leakages ) once this is a pass and hot test is done it needs approx. 500 km run in period only - after that it's all about warming it properly and off you go.

I think the tolerances are so small in these days that running-in is less important than making sure you wait until the oil has 90 degrees. I keep repeating this here - but I see this every morning from my neighbourhood that people come out of their garages and rev the car way to high after less than 1 Minute running only...never understood this never will

X2 Letting the engine/oil always warm up before you climb up the revs is so important, you don't have to let it idle for 5 min, especially now with modern catalytic converters, you can get in and start driving right away but just drive it softly and at lower revs until the temp or at optimal.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

X3 . Heating the oil up to 90 is an engraved rule for all my cars . Not exceeding 3k rpm during warm up . This helps your engine live a good long healthy life !

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

Never heard of warranty not being fulfilled because not sticking to manual ' s advice for the braking in . 

The manual's advise is a random number, just to be on the very safe side  . It has no  '' engineering '' sense . 

True. What they do care about though is over-revving. A friend's case, he was racing in the Alpenpokal, even went to court and he lost. In today's world with computers and black boxes in every corner of the car, it is difficult to trick the manufacturer. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Gnil:

X3 . Heating the oil up to 90 is an engraved rule for all my cars . Not exceeding 3k rpm during warm up . This helps your engine live a good long healthy life 

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

X4 Smiley

With my recent experience with a new 991.2 turbo S the engine felt so loose and zingy that I felt totally at ease revving it to the red line from minimal mileage once it was warmed up properly, the (PDK programming ensures no over rev possible) my criteria for warmed up is being at 90+ for a good 5 minutes just to be sure all the internal metal bits are their proper shape  Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

When they replaced the engines in the .1GT3, Porsche installed a dash light which indicated when the engine oil was wRm enough for spirited driving. On average, the light went off about one minute after starting the car. It doesn’t take long. 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

When they replaced the engines in the .1GT3, Porsche installed a dash light which indicated when the engine oil was wRm enough for spirited driving. On average, the light went off about one minute after starting the car. It doesn’t take long. 

IMO - the additional dash light of the 991.1 GT3 was just for water temp. - to stop the real crazy people going flat out of the garage, but no way the engine oil is warm enough after "about one minute"...

Blueflame

nberry:

When the oil hits 80 deg C, it is usually warm enough. Some people push it when it hits 60, in my opinion a bit low.

80 deg C and higher is perfect but I doubt it takes a minute only to get there (maybe in San Diego and other warmer climates?!).

It also depends on the oil used and the car/engine type how fast the oil gets the right temperature.

Water temp of course is a different story, this can be warmer much faster than the oil. It seems that some people confuse water with oil, not good. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Cars automatically restrict rpm accordingly. They have computers. They aren't going to let you damage the car under warranty...

Also, eh, who cares about long engine life? Most of us will sell cars long before we've reached a "long" engine life.

Beat the car up and sell it to the next guy. That's why you're buying new, not used. 

noone1:

Beat the car up and sell it to the next guy.

Pathetic. What a crappy selfish attitude Smiley

Personally I rather take care of the car and have it go an enthusiast buyer who maybe can't afford new or doesn't want to and is buying used with his hard earnt cash and wanting to enjoy the car with the least problems posible, but that is just me Smiley

--

There is pleasure in treating it 'right'. It's not a religion, but more like a matter of respect.

SmileySmileySmiley

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

noone1:

Beat the car up and sell it to the next guy. That's why you're buying new, not used. 

Why you are saying so? if you buy a second hand car and after a week the engine blown,are you happy because then you get the memo that the previous owner beat the car up? or for this reason you never buy a second hand car? Very dangerous thinking it is

noone1:

Even though you are essentially right, since the car is yours and you are not driving it so the next guy can drive it, I agree with the other contributors; I choose to cherish the material stuff that I am able to afford due to hard work. Not only is it a way to respect the people who put hard work into creating these things, also it gives me a good feeling. Added bonus is that I can pass off stuff to family members or sell it for a good price when I am done with them. It is also a respect towards "the earth" if you wish to call it that, as I am getting sick of the throwaway culture and the waste that mankind produces, simply because of economic reasons. Just because you can afford to waste money and resources, doesn't mean you should. IMO, there is also a moral obligation towards society, and weirdly enough, the more affluent you are, the bigger that obligation becomes.

Having said that, please Carlos, remind me to call you when I finally have the budget for a nice 2nd hand 911 Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Regarding the light, it's my understanding that it indicated when the car could be run as intended. The car already had readings on oil and water temperature.

BTW, with any used car its "Buyer Beware" unless you buy from a dealer with warranty coverage.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

martini964:
    noone1:

Why you are saying so? if you buy a second hand car and after a week the engine blown,are you happy because then you get the memo that the previous owner beat the car up? or for this reason you never buy a second hand car? Very dangerous thinking it is

Catastrophic engine failure in a road car is highly unlikely to be due to the user. It will more than likely be the result of an inherent problem.

As long as the owner does basic service and fluid changes, so be it. Most people aren't buying 70K mile exotics.

The mileage discount on a used exotic is so extreme that such is life for the next buyer. If he gets a $100K discount on a 7K mile car, then he can afford to refresh the engine should it for some random reason fail. He could also just buy an extended warranty too. 

When used buyers actually start offering near asking price instead of low balling over every fucking microscratch in the paint, maybe I'll care what happens to their car 5 years later. In reality, they want to pay as close to $0 as possible and as such they get what they pay for. If they want to talk a car down to "junk" then they can accept the fact that they might just be buying "junk."

I personally take care of my cars, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over a skipped oil change or some launches or redlines or not breaking it in per the Bible, and I'm certainly not going to dump money into my car for shit I don't care about just so the next guy is less likely to have problems. I'm definitely not going to discount it so some guy is happier either. I pay for extended warranties, so why can't they?

I sold my McLaren to someone who seemed like a nice guy and I was total honest with him about it and he was happy. He at first wanted a discount on scrapes and skid plates etc and I flat out told him no. It's a scrape, it scraped once it will probably at some point scrape again, I'm not discounting so you can repaint it and scrape it again later, or so you can drill holes into it and put skid plates on it. I mean, you're literally complaining about scrapes but then wanting to DRILL HOLES into it. In the end he saw where I was coming from and agreed that the scrapes made no sense to repair now, and the transaction went smoothly and he loves the car. I'm glad, he got a good car IMO at a great price.

Interesting viewpoints.  I  have a sympathy and respect for fine machinery that compels me to care for it properly.  I have treated my leased Porsches as well as those I have purchased.  I most enjoy being in synch with machines that are operating properly and are properly operated. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DuckieRS:

There is pleasure in treating it 'right'. It's not a religion, but more like a matter of respect.

SmileySmileySmiley

--

DaveC:

Interesting viewpoints.  I  have a sympathy and respect for fine machinery that compels me to care for it properly.  I have treated my leased Porsches as well as those I have purchased.  I most enjoy being in synch with machines that are operating properly and are properly operated. 

Again... SmileySmileySmiley

--

Gnil:

X3 . Heating the oil up to 90 is an engraved rule for all my cars . Not exceeding 3k rpm during warm up . This helps your engine live a good long healthy life !

Exactly the way I start myself every morning. No hi-revs until after the coffee - just smooth and quiet. Then at 9.00 coffee and after that - boom!  

I expect to live a long and healthy life.

Kobalt:
    Gnil:

Exactly the way I start myself every morning. No hi-revs until after the coffee - just smooth and quiet. Then at 9.00 coffee and after that - boom!  

I expect to live a long and healthy life.

Smiley Smiley I start at 7 am, move slowly downstairs into the kitchen and make my coffee first. Then, while two eggs are boiling, I sit down on my TV chair and watch the news, while I am enjoying my fresh coffee (double portion of course, usually a Latte Machiatto or an Espresso with lots of milk). Then I'm ready to face my kids and say good-bye to them when they go to school at 7:40. After that, I have plenty of time to eat the two boiled eggs (I would make scrambled eggs, my favorite but I don't have the energy or time) and my wife is already gone by that time because she drives the kids to school. Starting with work at 9 am, which is great. 

--

7am? way too early for me. I'm not a morning person, very first thing I have to do is hit the shower as my CPU is on "limp" mode until I do, then after the shower I can think about eating breakfast but something light as my stomach is not fully operational yet, coffee and oatmeal for example, or coffee and toast and fruit if I have time. Only till mid morning I start to be at operating oil temperature. OTOH at night its the opposite, my brain is on 100 octane and my body on Sport Plus mode, I can eat two dinners like at 9pm and 11pm, and rarely go to bed before 1am. Recently I read those night person traits that some people manifest came from Neanderthal inherited DNA, due to the climate and daylight settings they evolved into made them more evening people.

--

Carlos from Spain:

7am? way too early for me. I'm not a morning person, very first thing I have to do is hit the shower as my CPU is on "limp" mode until I do, then after the shower I can think about eating breakfast but something light as my stomach is not fully operational yet, coffee and oatmeal for example, or coffee and toast and fruit if I have time. Only till mid morning I start to be at operating oil temperature. OTOH at night its the opposite, my brain is on 100 octane and my body on Sport Plus mode, I can eat two dinners like at 9pm and 11pm, and rarely go to bed before 1am. Recently I read those night person traits that some people manifest came from Neanderthal inherited DNA, due to the climate and daylight settings they evolved into made them more evening people.

Not a morning person either but I have no choice. Smiley Smiley

--

I guess I'm a workaholic. I get up by 5am dial into work and start my day coding and managing a team of developers. Some off shore.  I jump into the shower around 7am and head to work without breakfast and maybe one coffee.  I head home for lunch to feed and walk the dog. I take an hour or less total. I get home around six grab a bite to eat and dial back into work until around 10. I get more done from home code wise and manage people during the day.  I get to sleep around 11 and if I'm lucky I wil have had one decent meal.  My jobs have been like this for as long as I can remember. My last vacation was one week off in March 2016. I traveled with my laptop to Jamaica and dialed in at least an hour each day to keep up with work.  Such is life in a competitive industry. It is what it is. 

Leawood911:

I guess I'm a workaholic. I get up by 5am dial into work and start my day coding and managing a team of developers. Some off shore.  I jump into the shower around 7am and head to work without breakfast and maybe one coffee.  I head home for lunch to feed and walk the dog. I take an hour or less total. I get home around six grab a bite to eat and dial back into work until around 10. I get more done from home code wise and manage people during the day.  I get to sleep around 11 and if I'm lucky I wil have had one decent meal.  My jobs have been like this for as long as I can remember. My last vacation was one week off in March 2016. I traveled with my laptop to Jamaica and dialed in at least an hour each day to keep up with work.  Such is life in a competitive industry. It is what it is. 

Ouch, this doesn't sound fun...or healthy. Smiley

--

for sure it is not healthy but it might be fun for leawood, he likes it,so yes. Im also early morning guy, I wake at 5, running in dark is fun for me, have a shower and good breakfast, hummm, usually my breakfast took 20 minutes. No TV, just my bible" rennlist technical stuff ". anyhow,vacation is a must ,specially no internet/cellphone connection 

Leawood911:

When do you get to put all those miles on your cars Smiley.

Warming up my engines, i did and do it with all cars.

I've a veryyyy spirited driving style and: the spyder now has 19.000km on the dash, still first oil, need a change now, and only one markpoint less than full oillevel. Never had to top the oil.

The only porsche i had to was in the 90's my 964 turbo. Otherwise none needed to be topped with extra oil.

My R8 needed oil once in a while , that's the only one.

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab/996 GT3

Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW/ 993 cab// boxster spyder

I like the yellow with silver wheels and clear LEDs. kiss

--

White 991.2 GT3, V260 March 2018

Reminds me of an older car...doesn't look modern. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM