Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anybody can give me feedback on the Maserati 4200?

Hey guys,

Been thinking of buying a Maserati 4200 Coupe. Anybody can give me their honest opinions on this car?

Other cars I was considering:
    Gallardo
    996 C2/C4
    CS?

I'm don't know much about the technical aspects of cars, and it seems like these boards are filled with experts

I already have a 360 and it's a blast, love Ferraris

Re: Anybody can give me feedback on the Maserati 4200?

It depends what you want, if you want a car to complement your Ferrari or a similar one.
    I've tried the Maser on numerous occasions now and I would say it's a great GT, fast, but not that fast because it is and feels so heavy.
    The F1 takes some getting used to but is quite fun although I'd personnally miss a manual gearbox, the styling is subjective, noise is nice, better with a Tubi, interior is very nice but a bit cramped.
    I prefer the Spyder, but that's bc I love cabs, on the plus side, the coupe is a real four seater.
    The Gransport sounds fantastic and apparently has better dynamics.
    Depreciation is monstruous unfortunately,
    let me know if you have more specific questions, but overall, I'd say it's a good car full of character, but probably not as rounded as the 991.
    Compared to the other cars you're considering, it would be bottom of my list.
    CS would probably be first, but again, it depends on what you want.

Well, i test drove the Gallardo yesterday. Am now leaning towards the Gallardo. Haha
    Do you have any input on the Gallardo?

Have read the forum and the reviews, and it seems like the Gallardo's performance is pretty power packed.

Was thinking CS, but the next one only comes in next February, plus with the 360 replacement (420?) it seems like good sense to wait for the 420 and trade in my current 360?

Or would any of you actually recommend a 911 Turbo or the like?

As you can tell, I'm don't know much about the technical specs of a car.. just want a car that can somehow combine performance and daily usage all in a neat package (plus it should complement the 360!).

Advice please! Help

daily usage? Hmm, let me see - Porsche? Porsche? Porsche? only Porsche! :-)

Given your list of requirements I would definitively go for a 996TT.

It is perfect for day-to-day usage, provides lots of fun and ideally complements the Ferrari.

if i'd have a 360 in my garage, my daily driver / long distance tourer in the maser-price-class would be a BMW 645 Ci.

if money is no issue at all, 996TT is even better of course.
    have you thought about the upcoming 997 carrera S or the aston DB9?

would keep my hands off the maser, though. as fanch said, depreciation is a disaster.

a 996 tt is the obvious choice just slightly more expensive than the mazer with MUCH better resale.

i think the f1 tranny is too jerky for a daily driver. i like the mazer with a 6sp especially 1 year old for about $50k

the bmw 645 IMHO is uglier than sin! so is the 545 and 745. bangle should be sent to work for hyundai.

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    the bmw 645 IMHO is uglier than sin! so is the 545 and 745. bangle should be sent to work for hyundai.

Boy, Ignacio,

You must really have it in for Hyundai!

Quote:
    mnm said:
    Well, i test drove the Gallardo yesterday. Am now leaning towards the Gallardo. Haha

Have read the forum and the reviews, and it seems like the Gallardo's performance is pretty power packed.

Was thinking CS, but the next one only comes in next February, plus with the 360 replacement (420?) it seems like good sense to wait for the 420 and trade in my current 360?

As you can tell, I'm don't know much about the technical specs of a car.. just want a car that can somehow combine performance and daily usage all in a neat package (plus it should complement the 360!).

Advice please! Help

If you follow this board you probably know I am not a Porsche fan. However, based on your comments I have to agree that the Porsche TT would suit your needs. It is a terrific performance car and AWD making very manageable for daily driving.

The downside is unless you buy a used one you will take a terrific beaten in depreciation. Also, the car in my opinion, is not very stimulating to drive and comes off has humdrum. Additional, there are too many TT's on the road, which, if you like, will give you considerable anonymity compared to your 360.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    mnm said:

Advice please! Help

If you follow this board you probably know I am not a Porsche fan. However, based on your comments I have to agree that the Porsche TT would suit your needs. It is a terrific performance car and AWD making very manageable for daily driving.

The downside is unless you buy a used one you will take a terrific beaten in depreciation. Also, the car in my opinion, is not very stimulating to drive and comes off has humdrum. Additional, there are too many TT's on the road, which, if you like, will give you considerable anonymity compared to your 360.

The 996TT feels like a fighter jet. I myself prefer that feeling. As for being flashy - that's for posers in their 360's And the fact that there are many 996TTs on the road only goes to prove that the car is reliable and drivable, as opposed to the 360 ticking time bombs from Modena

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Additional, there are too many TT's on the road, which, if you like, will give you considerable anonymity compared to your 360.

Well Nick,

I really can imagine that anonymity is not your scene!

In Antwort auf:
    Crash said:
    ...as opposed to the 360 ticking time bombs from Modena

I would call the 360 anything but a ticking time bomb. Ever driven one?

I think Crash was refering to the reliability issues with the Modena which are, let's be honest, lightyears from the 996.

I've been lucky enough to drive both and their are both fantastic cars, different in the way they drive, Turbo is just a missile you can do anything with, a sort of multi purpose super champion, wins all glod in the decathlon if you want, it's the benchmark, the other manufacturers nitghmares! After four years, still the top of the top when it comes to all round ability.
    In fact the Turbo is all three things, Performance, performance and performance.
    The 360 or a Ferrari is in a different league, it's the little jewel, you take care of it, you love it, you cherish it, same for the driving, it's more subtle to drive than a turbo less easy and in that respect possibly more rewarding, but with the same driver, much slower, but again, a Modena owner could live with that.
    And as Crash mentionned, it's a time bomb in the sense that it is a badly built car, for that price anyway.
    Battery life does not exceed two weeks (I still can't believe that one) F1 transmission is not full proof and clutch needs replacement every 10,000 km (depending on how it's used of course) and servicing and parts bills are an insult to common sense, but it's a Ferrari

Seems like nobody even likes the Maserati. Quite pathetic really for Maserati, so I guess that's OUT

How about the Gallardo?

I hear it is overstocked heavily, do you think it will have resale value in the future?

I have never been a fan of porsche but after all these reviews, I think I will pop down the Porsche showroom

No fans of the Gallardo or Maserati 4200 ?

Maserati is a great GT, not as sporty as rivals such as 911 or Gallardo, that's for sure. It's a comfy GT cruiser with plenty of power and personnality though.
    I've never driven a Gallardo but it sounds great and performs fantastic. Storage space is an issue if you consider trips unfortunately.
    Not of big fan of the rear styling, and overall not a massive fan of the suppository Lambo shape, but by all means, great sports car!

"Seems like nobody even likes the Maserati."

We have an '02 US coupe cambiocorsa and like it very much. Strong engine, great sound (with the tubi), like the interior. A few criticisms: the '02 F1 is a bit jerky compared to the most recent Ferrari offerings, but that may have been addressed in the newer models. There have been a couple recalls, but the warranty goes on forever (4 years, I think), so we're not worried. New cars seem to have depreciated quickly, but that means used cars can be had on the cheap.

We will purchase the successor to the coupe when it is released and, if we were in the market for a 4 door, would buy the Quattroporte.

The Maserati provides a driving experience we enjoy and, in our area where there are loads of Mercedes and Porsches, a bit of novelty.

The Maserati seems to me quite different from the other cars listed in the first post in this thread. As fanch has said, the choice depends on what you want to do with the car.

Cheers, Will

In Antwort auf:
    Fanch said:
    And as Crash mentionned, it's a time bomb in the sense that it is a badly built car, for that price anyway.
    Battery life does not exceed two weeks (I still can't believe that one) F1 transmission is not full proof and clutch needs replacement every 10,000 km (depending on how it's used of course) and servicing and parts bills are an insult to common sense, but it's a Ferrari

Fanch, on which planet are you living?

1) the 360 is not badly built at all (in fact it's stiffer than most other cars, used materials are excellent)
    2) battery lasts more than six weeks without problem (so you don't have to believe that one anyway )
    4) if you're not fond of the F1, don't order it
    3) clutch needs replacement roughly every 30000 km (F1), more than twice as long with manual 6-gear
    4) service prices are highly depending on the dealer and there are plenty of fair offers

Quality and costs

Sorry Rossi,
    I got all these infos from Ferrari Maserati France, so they must have no idea what they're talking about then
    No, seriously, the level of quality of the interior of the car is a joke, again, for that price.
    Apparent screws, the leather stiches stop and start again a few centimeters later (That I have seen on the one I drove) and worst of all, the watch on top of the rear mirror, that watch must cost about 50 cents in Thailand, this is $150,000 we're talking about here. The fitting of the headlamps is also very bad.
    As for the clutch, again, my friend from Ferrari told me a lot of users have to change their clutch at least every 10,000 kms because they don't use them properly, mostly because they don't go back to neutral when the car is stationnary, so that would be a driver's mistake.
    Servicing is more frequent that Porsche and much more expensive, but agreed, it's the price you pay for exclusivity.
    As for the batteries, I confirm, it will empty itself in two weeks.
    Actually, Ferrari and Maserati recommend
    1- to buy a battery charger
    2- to swith off the battery (and that means no more alarm) if the car is to be unattended for two weeks or more, there is a swith for that effect which is located in the boot of both cars.
    As a comparaison, I've left my 996 untouched for three months and it started just fine (I don't think it could have done any longer though!)
    But all those points aside, I love Ferrari, and the 360 is still my favorite, fantastic shape, noise and I like the design of the interior, much more charm than a Porsche IMO.

Re: Quality and costs

Fanch,

I never had that many rattles in my Modena as I have in my TT. Furthermore, I have never tested a 996 or TT that did not produce any strange interior noises...

Also, my battery does not discharge within two weeks

"I have never tested a 996 or TT that did not produce any strange interior noises..."

MKSGR,

Did you just test Porsche 996TT or actualy were driving it for considerable period of time?

I wouldnt do any comparison from test drives...

I have been driving a TT for 12 months now. Interior build quality is the only thing about the car I would love to see improved in the 997TT.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    I have been driving a TT for 12 months now. Interior build quality is the only thing about the car I would love to see improved in the 997TT.

I agree - my 996 C2 Coupe rattled all the way home from the dealership (25 miles on the odometer when bought)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

You get MUCH more improvements, be sure of it.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

You get MUCH more improvements, be sure of it.

Good News

Re: Listen...

Absolutely divine! Very nice noise! Congrats lionel!

Re: Listen...

love it

on this battery problem -- wouldnt driving the car every day solve the problem?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760656 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434357 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260002 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257139 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80748 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871256 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806431 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM