Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Monaco Grand Prix

Winners:

Alonso- reasserting himself as the boss in the pack

Hamilton- put off some hot laps and really pressed Alonso at times. Unfortunately, he wasn't as technically superb as Fernando

Scott Speed- With his job on the line, he put on a strong showing, wading through the pack

Losers:

Raikkonen- Besides a great start aided by a superior TC system compared to his bracket rivals, Raikkonen was a huge no-factor, unable to surpass Button...Interesting comparison between Raikkonen's 07 Monaco and Schummacher's 06 Monaco. The King clearly hasn't been replaced

Rosberg- What happened to my dark horse

Webber- He seems to do well in Monaco but his car didn't allow him the opportunity

now on to North America!

hamilton is still amazing me. he was very proffesional..

Kimi should visit a sports psychologist to refocus his talent. Something is wrong. He has the talent, but his results are mystifying.

My doubts about Hamilton are going away. He handles pressure very well and drove an excellent race.

Personally, I believe the story of the day was Scott Speed. To do lap times inside the top 10, at Monaco especially, is superb in a Toro Rosso.

As for Ferrari, perhaps the long wheelbase hurt them this weekend. I only hope Kimi can salvage his season.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Kimi should visit a sports psychologist to refocus his talent. Something is wrong. He has the talent, but his results are mystifying.

I think he spends too little time with his team. Rumor has it that he is nowhere near as heavily involved in sestting up the car and doing preps as Schumi before him, or Alonso.
    "It's not what you can, but who you know" also applies in F1, and I think his trouble could derive from this.

Yes, he is the fastest on the track - when he is 100% focussed and he isnt wrecking the car one way or another.
    I dunno - I think Hamilton has showed me, that there is another level of driving besides Kimi and Alonso.

IMO Kimi will have to pull his act seriously together mentally if he isnt going to be a total disaster at Ferrari. Sure, he is only trailing a bit point-wise, but he has already had more trouble with the F-car than Schumi had the last 4 seasons or so.

Alonso vs. Hamilton remembered me of the good times of Prost vs. Senna.... Or the race Senna vs. Mansell? Anyway good race..... Don't wanna bring back an old argument about Schumacher, but I will really liked to see him now on the race. And not because I doubt about his talent, just because there now is a group of pilots with real talent at least close to his if not bigger, like Hamilton's, and I think Schumacher for the best part of his racing career missed this competition.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Winners:

Alonso- reasserting himself as the boss in the pack

Hamilton- put off some hot laps and really pressed Alonso at times. Unfortunately, he wasn't as technically superb as Fernando

Scott Speed- With his job on the line, he put on a strong showing, wading through the pack

Losers:

Raikkonen- Besides a great start aided by a superior TC system compared to his bracket rivals, Raikkonen was a huge no-factor, unable to surpass Button...Interesting comparison between Raikkonen's 07 Monaco and Schummacher's 06 Monaco. The King clearly hasn't been replaced

Rosberg- What happened to my dark horse

Webber- He seems to do well in Monaco but his car didn't allow him the opportunity

now on to North America!

I really ask myself who will replace Raikkonen after they dismiss him at the end of this season. One thing is clear: Raikkonen is not good enough for Ferrari

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Alonso vs. Hamilton remembered me of the good times of Prost vs. Senna.... Or the race Senna vs. Mansell? Anyway good race..... Don't wanna bring back an old argument about Schumacher, but I will really liked to see him now on the race. And not because I doubt about his talent, just because there now is a group of pilots with real talent at least close to his if not bigger, like Hamilton's, and I think Schumacher for the best part of his racing career missed this competition.

I would rather argue that Hamilton demonstrates that Alonso is not as superior as many thought before... Would be a major surprise if a newcomer was as fast as an alledged all-time talent (Alonso), wouldn't it? Consequently, I would argue that Schumacher would still lack adequately talented competitors in the F1 as it is per today... The relative performance of Alonoso, Hamilton, Massa and Raikkonen is really interesting to observe. Just compare the picture to last year (or any other year of Schumacher's career). The gap in relative performance between Schumacher and any other driver was always quite noticable

F1 this season is fantastic thanks to Hamilton . The rivalry between Alonso and Hamilton is going to be immense , you can clearly see it....

The race was pretty uneventful but the most memorable thing for me over the race weekend is the final qualifying session. It was fantastic to see how close to the limit both Alonso and Hamilton pushed their cars around the streets of Monte Carlo.

Scott Speed did a great job during the race and I hope he'll do well in his home race!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    [...] The gap in relative performance between Schumacher and any other driver was always quite noticable

Despite having a significant antipathy for Schumacher and parts of his racing philosophy, I as well asked myself how Schumacher would have performed in that race. He was either on top of the grid or far off the leading ones, the later usually caused by problems and not by his driving talent. Someone once said, if you have Schumacher (Michael S. that is ) on the team and you don't succeed, it's clearly the car's fault and not the driver's. Not many, if any drivers of current times can live up to this expectations. As much as I support some of today's pilots you can actually see their drop in performance once the car isn't running properly. Really excellent drivers know how to handle a car even if it doesn't live up to their expectations.

Although Hamilton seems to be an excellent driver he does have clear advantages in today's season.

First of all, this season's uniform tires contradict Alonso's driving style, rather supporting a smooth driving as Heidfeld, Raikkonen or Hamilton present.
    Furthermore the later is a protege of R. Dennis and furthermore an Englishman. That clearly owes him huge credits inside the team. I bet Dennis is proud of himself to see that his very first driver that he supported during his career does perform that well. In fact it caused them to sign another driver, a 14 year old Brit to become Hamilton's successor in a few years. There have been rumours that Hamilton received superior engines by Mercedes when running in the F3 championship, Adrian Sutil being his teammate. If one sees the performance Sutil presents in the Spyker than I have my doubts that he is lacking any talent compared to Hamilton. Christian Albers, his teammate at Spyker, is anything else but a paydriver, having successfully competed in DTM a few years back.

In the bottom end I am absolutely confident that decisions in the McLaren team will be made by political, not by sporting interests. The fact that Alonso wanted to set a mark in Monaco, and clearly succeeded in doing so, should be seen as an explicit statement aimed towards the team to acknowledge his superior performance! Alonso's only chance is to present an advantage in performance that Hamilton cannot provide. If one considers these aspects it sheds some new light on Sunday's race.

Acording to news released in TV, the FIA is investigating the Team Maclaren about supposed team orders to Hamilton in the last part of the race, not to attack Alonso!

(This reminds me that episode with Shumi and Barrichello)

Quote:
    Byron said:
    Acording to news released in TV, the FIA is investigating the Team Maclaren about supposed team orders to Hamilton in the last part of the race, not to attack Alonso!

Yes , there seemed to be some orders given out . Probably due to the huge rivalry between them they could have had each other off the track , costing driver and constructor points..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    Byron said:

Yes , there seemed to be some orders given out . Probably due to the huge rivalry between them they could have had each other off the track , costing driver and constructor points..

Also for the off chance of a disaster caused by a botched pass attempt. That would represent an 18 point swing in the constructors cup, something you can't afford going into the latter half of the season where the Ferrari setup will dominate undoubtedly

What happened to the old days where the boys duked it out (Senna Prost)...I guess too much money is on the line now

Ok, I'll admit this was not a good race for Raikkonen, but I think it's way to early to give up on him just yet. I admit 3rds aren't exactly what Ferrari are looking for, but on the other hand they aren't exactly known for giving their drivers cars that die 14 laps in.

Kimi screwed up during qualy, but there was nothing he could have done during the race. Not only is it basically impossible to pass at Monaco, but this year's Ferrari is notorious for making it difficult to run anywhere close to anyone's slipstream. Combine those and you have an impossible situation.

If he continues to underperform then maybe there will be a problem, but if you removed his DNF and this race had been anywhere but Monaco and he would still right there at the top. Of course that isn't the case, but it also won't be the case for the next 10+ races either.

Difficult to pass in Monaco if you aren't a front runner, I saw that Mclaren and Massa passed plenty of slower cars, including Kimi! He was just pathetically slow and became a back marker. Maybe he was hungover.

You do realize that back markers have to move out of the way right? That's what the waving blue flag means.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761501 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434831 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260213 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257364 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80853 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5317 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806973 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM