Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What's the serious, non-showy, "holysh" aesthetic?

Got back from road trip with my M3. The thing was dirty and dark from brake dust and road dust, yet it looked like it meant business. Not pretty, not "Darth Vader," not testosterone aggressive, just looked like a fast serious precision piece of German-designed machinery.

Don't get me wrong, to most people it just looked like a dirty car. To car guys in-the-know it was a serious piece of automotive sculpture that worked for a living.

I'm planning to get a Turbo and I'm thinking about colors, options, wheels to make the this 997 car less-than-flashy. I am even thinking of keeping it dirty, not washing it every weekend. Matt black paint might even be good but I'm not sure..., could easily be over the top.

IOW, what can we do to these cars to make them tough-looking, all business on the highways, but not in-your-face aggressive?

What can you do to lessen the flash, almost go unnoticed by cops, and only let the initiated realize the thing's a major piece of equipment made by Porsche?

Get it? What's the opposite of an obviously fast, flashy, meant-to-inspire-envy garage queen/show car?

Something like Army Rangers meet the latest James Bond, maybe? I dunno... .

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Re: What's the serious, non-showy, "holysh" aesthetic?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    ... Get it? What's the opposite of an obviously fast, flashy, meant-to-inspire-envy garage queen/show car?

... .... all right, seriously now...you could never go wrong with this..... driving through Death Valley--think Mad Max the original...

That's the one Damian!

Although I'm not sure you'll be happy with the current TTs busy style , MMD.

MMD,
    Because the turbo has lots of dark colored inserts, inlets, outlets, whatever, I think you can't go wrong if you go for a black or dark colored car. That way, all the added style-elements will blend in into one sleek silhouette. Black out or leave the model designation. Maybe even black rims. Would be a dreammachine!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Get it? What's the opposite of an obviously fast, flashy, meant-to-inspire-envy garage queen/show car?

Ever thought about something like this?

MMD, seems like you want a plain black car, with black wheels, model logo deleted, no coloured wheel centres, black leather, black seat belts, brake calipers specially anodised black. (The Turbo wheels are very flashy).

I don't think I would ever choose a TT like this though. Just too functional for me.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    ... seems like you want a plain black car, with black wheels, model logo deleted, no coloured wheel centres, black leather, black seat belts, brake calipers specially anodised black. (The Turbo wheels are very flashy).

er... that sounds quite flashy to me! I'm sure a car like that would attract quite a bit of attention!

MMMMMM, if you get one wash it, scratches show up easily on a black car.

MMD, I really think you're edging dangerously close to the mental health cliff...

On one hand, you say you don't want flash, don't want to draw attention.. But your post screams of someone trying to make some sort of counterculture fashion-statement....

I understand wanting to tone down the flash (I also believe the Turbo is tacky, and needs a careful approach when speccing).. But when you start talking about intentionally accumulating dirt and brake-dust over longer periods of time in some premeditated attempt to obtain a "look", you're being just as vain and conspicuous as the dude in the clean and sparkling bright red car with chrome wheels and the vanity "2fast4u" license plate.

Think of Gothic kids... Trying so damn hard to be anti-establishment, unflashy, unmaterialistic, that they ironically manifest the same exact destiny as those they despise, slaves to fashion, and enormously conspicuous..

If you want a serious non-flash pure-function Turbo that also happens to look nice, then go with something like an Atlas, Meteor or Slate grey, pay to have the calipers powder-coated a less-startling color, do a black interior, and leave the wheels alone (anything you do to the wheels always comes off as an effort to obtain an image, i.e. cars with body-color wheels always look flashier and more attention-getting than ones with simple stock silver or satin). The best way to look serious about driving, rather than image, is to not go nuts customizing the car to look monotone. Don't over-dress, no matter whether you're going for flash, or for plain, either way, don't over-do.

I agree, a car looking dirty and road-worn from a long trip does indeed have a satisfying "patina" to it at the end of the trip. That's REAL, and that's cool, the dirt was part of the journey.

Purposefully accumulating dirt on an extended basis, waiting for longer periods between washes, simply to perpetuate that image... That's contrived, and highly geeky.

Not alot different than a rugby player playing a tough game to victory, bloody, muddy, sweaty, victorious... And then not changing or showering for another week or two because he thinks "I look cool this way...".

MMD, I knew that the bossman's wrath was inevitable when you wrote stuff like "I am even thinking of keeping it dirty, not washing it every weekend".

4447 posts, since Dec 15, 2004.. no wonder you have no time to wash your car!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Ever thought about something like this?

Valet, get my mercedes.

......What colour is your mercedes sir?

Diamonds!

Saw a RUF on a posting that was "flat" silver. It appeared to be the base coat with no clear. Interesting look to say the least.

Have seen many of those in Germany,--the very low key Porsches. Meant for only driving fast and maintaining a below the radar screen appearance. In fact, you essentially don't even notice them. Don't know if you can still order a flat black paint job. Saw a 930 done that way at Zuffenhausen back in the 1980s.

Here's the way I would order it:

997 TT
    PCCB (with black painted calipers)
    Black painted center forged Turbo wheels
    Black leather interior
    No model or company brand logos, shields (including the front "Porsche" one
    Adaptive Sports Seats
    Seat Heat
    Fire Extinguisher
    6-speed, LSD
    rear wiper delete

Finally, do as you say. Don't wash it.

dan

Flat paint? While you're at it, install a cow-catcher.... You guys have watched Mad Max one too many times....

A 6-figure sports car, painted up and maintained like a jobless child molester's 1974 Dodge panel van...

Different strokes!!

all black tt is showy so just go with black tt with silver wheels

I don't have a picture handy, but my arctic silver Boxster with grey top, grey interior, "clear" side markets, "clear" tail lights, and "clear" front headlight corners. No amber/orange anywhere. It's kind of a "washed out" color scheme, and very non-showy, just the way I like it. I also think a white car is non-showy.

David

Huh. That sounds like a really dirty BMW. But if that gets you hard, then who am I to schit on your parade? But I'm with you bossnine.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Flat paint? While you're at it, install a cow-catcher.... You guys have watched Mad Max one too many times....

A 6-figure sports car, painted up and maintained like a jobless child molester's 1974 Dodge panel van...

Different strokes!!

LOL. Another classic!

MMD, your Arctic Silver 997S is just right! Like mine , not flashy.

No replies from MMD lately.... Hmmmm... I'm getting a bit worried, wondering if we should dial 911 for him...

I'm picturing him sitting at his computer, paralyzed, having a drawn-out low-level seizure, as he's just realized that his mouse and keyboard have so many buttons, and graphics all over them...

He could be sitting there in this state of vapor-lock for days, maybe weeks, with no food or water....

Re: What's the serious, non-showy, "holysh" aesthe

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    No replies from MMD lately.... Hmmmm... I'm getting a bit worried, wondering if we should dial 911 for him...

I'm picturing him sitting at his computer, paralyzed, having a drawn-out low-level seizure, as he's just realized that his mouse and keyboard have so many buttons, and graphics all over them...

He could be sitting there in this state of vapor-lock for days, maybe weeks, with no food or water....

Hey I'm baaaack. Been out of kepad range. Brought current car to scrap yard to see if they could help me change it's look. They were very patient and explained the Mad Max comp doesn't work because that stuff in the movie was all junked up. Our cars must somehow retain good looks upon closer inspection.

This is the only pic I could find perhaps closest to the German-road-machine "anti-aesthetic." This would be nice if it weren't washed. I also airbrushed a little opacity into the headlamps and turn signals. Slightly tinted windows would be good? Too much tint and you're back into Bling-Bling again; stealthy B-B of course.

Black wheels seem a must for this non-showy look.

This car would look great dirty! The wheels aren't quite right, if they were simpler, more plain-Jane versions of what's shown, it would be closer to the goal, IMO.

GREY wheels on a grey car; might be even better. The black wheels might be too "flashy."

Sorry, but both cars look like over-attempts at attention-drawning "cool" image... I'll say it again, you're accomplishing the opposite of your goal.. O.K., I'll stop arguing my points!!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    MMD, I knew that the bossman's wrath was inevitable when you wrote stuff like "I am even thinking of keeping it dirty, not washing it every weekend".

LOL. Hey a 0W-5 viscosity wrath is fine. I'm just trying to keep things entertaining.

Washing the car is suuuuuch a drag. Gotta drive to dry wheels and brakes and then the car's dirty by the time I get back in the driveway. Dirty in a wet-dust way: not fun. Need NASA's us$10million HEPA filtered and heated wind tunnel.

Just thinking leave the freekin' thing dirty! HEY! Wax the suckker and don't bother to remove the wax swirls. No one in their right mind would suspect I neglected it intentionally.

So it's all coming clear to me now.... Howard Hughes is still alive, and he goes by the internet handle of "MMD"...

Look at it this way, washing the car is great exercise... And it's counterproductive to drive the car to dry the wheels, you create more work, not less. Just let everything air-dry overnight, let the rotors rust, and the first time you hit the brakes in the AM the rust will go "poof" and be gone, and you'll be clean.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Sorry, but both cars look like over-attempts at attention-drawning "cool" image... I'll say it again, you're accomplishing the opposite of your goal.. O.K., I'll stop arguing my points!!

yeah, good points. I guess you just can't avoid "cool" with these units.

The best you can do, IMO, is a Seal Grey, with grey wheels; maybe paint stock wheels (non-lobster claws) with a 30% opaque clear coat).

The problem was solved on Saturday Night Live in it's first years with the "Luxury Deluxe II" a limo with a beautifully appointed wood and leather interior. The body of the car was a rusted-out, dented, different-color-body-panels, POS chevy Imperial(?).

THAT look would be trouble on the Autobahn. You'd get stopped every ten miles for suspected unsafe equipment.

Honestly, when I think of non-descript "under the radar" 911's, I think of showroom stock models in some sort of silver-to-grey, with black or grey interior, and NO options to alter the "base-model" appearance, meaning no painted wheels, and no other attempts to arrive at a style. Just walking up to the fast food counter and saying, "yeah, I'll take a new 911 please, hold everything...". Just the meat and the bun.

That's the approach I'd take on a Turbo if you're looking to stay as stealth as possible, however I'd spend money on options on the inside of the car that you'd enjoy, and others on the road could not see...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I think of showroom stock models in some sort of silver-to-grey, with black or grey interior, and NO options to alter the "base-model" appearance, meaning no painted wheels, and no other attempts to arrive at a style.

Yes, what's getting clearer is you can't do much to make the car look less interesting than as it comes "base" from the factory. Even the simplest Carrera attracts attention, period. The plain Turbo? It's even worse for velcro-ing assorted eyes.

You _can_ spend lots of time, money and mental energy to make the car look more interesting..., er..., I mean..., more flashy.

Sorry to say it but: it might be that keeping a Seal Grey car (with the Base 18 inch wheels) slightly dirty is the only option for making it less noticeble.

If you really want to fly under the radar, a 5-year old Camry with a missing hubcap and a faded John Kerry bumper sticker would really get you ignored!! Hell, in that, you could probably cross the Mexican border naked with a trunk full of automatic weapons and not be noticed...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690298 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409625 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235160 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774555 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM