Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Opinion!!! thinking in a VW Golf V R32

Hi everyone, as the title says, what are your opinions for the new Golf generation R32 model...

I would appreciate what are your thoughts, the good things about this little sport car, and what issues they have(if there are)....

Any owners at rennteam???

What other competitors should you consider before going for the R32....

I'm in love with this car, most because of its pure magic engine sound, and because of the interior, specially with the DSG transmission and the expensive option recaro sport seats....

Some of the best pics I found!!!...

Re: Opinion!!! thinking in a VW Golf V R32

BTW I saw these pics in a VW R32 forum, one of the best indeed !!!

No surprise when I saw the signature of them

Steve if you have more pics of the R32 please post them here !!!, very nice combo

Very nice car Alex! Go for it! You going to sell the Cooper?

Would look at the new S3 as well. Twin Charged

I see it has the same seats as what my ex RS4 has.

They should work on the leg support. It's too high so the leather creases easily no matter how careful you are. My RS4's seats looked like that after 2 months already.

and finally this is the exact car that dealer has in stock, with DSG transmission BUT with normal sport leather seats(no recaro one's )

A year ago or so, we had a VW Golf V 2.0tdi, perfect car, amazing engine, amazing fuel consumption....But the R32 has to be a completely different type of car in every aspect.....

Would you guys change the cooper S for a new R32??, I dont know what to do, letting the mini go away will brake my heart !!!, and price difference is near the 15.000euros range or more (depends on how well i sell the mini) in order to go for the new R32....
    Or I could buy a used R32 with very low kms, and safe some euros....I dont know !!!!!!!!, but I got infected with the R32 sound !!!!!

Hi Alex, there is a thread here at rennteam about the R32:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=202583&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

I've got a black/black 4-door R32 with DSG. Absolutely love it. It is rather heavy, but doesn't feel so when driving. It feels nimble and light, the AWD gives you a lot confidence and makes you believe you are driving on rails. Absolutely marvelous. Great fun in the winter also. The DSG tranny also works great with the VR6 and helps to improve the mileage of the R32 a little bit, which actually isn't really the strong point of the car.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Very nice car Alex! Go for it! You going to sell the Cooper?

Would look at the new S3 as well. Twin Charged

I see it has the same seats as what my ex RS4 has.

They should work on the leg support. It's too high so the leather creases easily no matter how careful you are. My RS4's seats looked like that after 2 months already.

Oh man, I just smiled when I read your first sentence !!!, I am really infected with R32 virus

I like the S3 but price is even more crazy, and engine sound is not even near to what the R32 sounds only at idle ..

Really appreciate your info about the BIG issue they have with those recaro seats then.... I hate creases in the leather, its one of the most annoying things...Its very common in the 997 sport seats, specially in the side's of the seats, ours is getting worse and worse in the left side before really seating on it...

I was asking myself how was that specific R32 treated having those seats in that leather condition, but now that you say that, everything makes more sense!!! , then that's 3.000euros less to pay if I finally order it to the factory !!

Last week driving to class, I got really excited driving behind an R32 mk4, probably with some kind of aftermarket exhaust, that thing sounded like an M3 much more louder, more metalic sound, it was AMAZING, and it was a young lady driving, not even pushing it hard, so imagine !!!

thanks again mike !!

Owning an MKV GTI with DSG, I would highly recommend getting it. You'll love the DSG and the build quality is excellent.

Quote:
    Rossi said:

I've got a black/black 4-door R32 with DSG. Absolutely love it. It is rather heavy, but doesn't feel so when driving. It feels nimble and light, the AWD gives you a lot confidence and makes you believe you are driving on rails. Absolutely marvelous. Great fun in the winter also. The DSG tranny also works great with the VR6 and helps to improve the mileage of the R32 a little bit, which actually isn't really the strong point of the car.

Hey Rossi thanks for the info man !!!

I never knew you had an R32 , how do you like the engine sound???? , If I do something, it has to be DSG transmission!!! What is your fuel consumption, I guess its even higher than a 997 !!

If you can post some pics !!!

ohhh and thanks for the link, I never used the search button

Quote:
    911fan said:
    Owning an MKV GTI with DSG, I would highly recommend getting it. You'll love the DSG and the build quality is excellent.

thanks 911 fan A friend of mine drives a 4door 2.0tdi with DSG also, and its amazing the transmission, this is why i have decided if i go for the r32 it has to be DSG!!...

I've been searching for used R32 cars, and there are a few of them selling at the 27.000-29.000euro range, between 6.000kms and 20.000kms.....If I really sell the mini at a good price I will "only" have to put about 4.000euros-7.000euros range...Although if I buy it second hand it has to have a maximum of 6.000-7.000kms done, no more !!!

I'll have to think about all these after exams !!!

good night

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I never knew you had an R32 , how do you like the engine sound???? , If I do something, it has to be DSG transmission!!! What is your fuel consumption, I guess its even higher than a 997 !!

Rossi is a man of many secrets, he also has a tendancy to buy every single car he likes

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

Rossi is a man of many secrets, he also has a tendancy to buy every single car he likes

Thanks a million Mike.

But there are some that are far worse than me.

Alex, engine sound is great, you always hear it, but it never gets annoying. They did a great job with the sound, they hit the nail right on the head. Consumption is between 12 and 13 l/km, mostly city commuting. Not that much for a car that heavy, with AWD and that amount of power, but it won't come down very much no matter how hard you try.
    (okay, if you drive constantly 90 km/h and put the air condition off it may get better...)

Sorry, I never took pics, but it looks just as any black/black 4-door R32 (I don't have the racing buckets BTW).

Well, I like both GTI and R32 but, I do not like DSG at all(there is a GOOD reason why Audi is not putting one in S3!).

DSG gearbox IMHo simply do not know what to do-it try to mimic sequential manual and true autobox. IMO is fails big time to do both...

Here is a nice review of R32 with DSG:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=13806

...and some highlights:
    "In some ways it does, but what it doesn't do is live up to another Volkswagen claim - that it combines auto convenience with 'the driving qualities of a manual'. In the DSG-equipped R32 the gearbox is convinced it knows what you want better than you do: even in manual mode, if you floor the throttle it changes down to 'help' you. In the manual R32, I could attack a winding road in, say, third gear, lifting off or braking for a tight bend or where visibility was poor, and that pokey V6 would haul us out of the corner or away from the hazard smoothly and swiftly with the throttle wide open, but no need to change down.

On the same road the DSG-equipped car insisted on changing gear each time, even when I'd told it not to by selecting a gear manually. Even ambling along in auto mode the DSG transmission was far keener to change down and get the revs up than I was in the manual car. "

Also IMO Audi S3 is much more sporty car then R32, also S3 is 2-3s faster on any short race track then R32. On Nordschleife difference is more then 12s...

IMO the sound on the R32 sounds like a Nissan 350Z anyways.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    IMO the sound on the R32 sounds like a Nissan 350Z anyways.

I agree with you Mike, sound wise they are pretty similar...

Back to DSG... The best possible acceleration is only in Sport mode and best start is only with "torque-brake" method(that sound similar to some TIPs, isn't it?)...

Alex, have a look here. Comparison between S3 and R32... also, the golf is in your favorite colour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fqaUDsZlY

and then you have the topgear comparison between BMW 130i and R32:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQr_ptJ0oJY

And finally Auto Motor Sport TV comparing same cars as in topgear:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwKLXzEz3yA

I've tested the R32 with DSG and really liked it.. even though it feels like driving a buss compared with my 997S

Alex,

some time ago i was contemplating on everyday car that i can abuse. The r32 (as well as gti,wrx,minicooper,clio..etc) was in there aswell, but after driving it i felt it was lacking the power i desired. Im going to wait for the evo10, it is by far the best bang for buck and is fast to start of with, that means you wont need to tune it as much as the others.

i say if the s3 is available in your area, buy it!. ive never driven it but the specs look fantastic. the r32 is not bad as well but i don't think its as entertaining to drive as your cooper "s". I personally thought the r32 was tame to my liking.

OR if you can wait, the evo10 will be out with a sequential gearbox sometime in sept/oct/nov of 2007.

I also consider buying R32, I have problem with my knees (110 kg ) entering Porsches as daily driving, so I went to test S3, R32, Seat Cupra, Golf GTI and Subaru Impreza WRX STI (own one for a month or so).
    S3: I do not liked, 4 cyl, bed sound, expensive, I did not enjoy, like driving normal Audi A3 (my sister have A3 2.0 tdi)
    Seat cupra: fast, good brakes, very bed consumation (same as 997 turbo, 18-20 l/100 km), very bed interior, FWD (I do not like this), not stable at high speed braking.
    Golf GTI: very good, not very slower than R32, but FVD and not very relaxing at the highvay
    Subaru Impreza:very fast, good AWD, not hatchback, very nice to me, 16-25 l/100 km, not for highway (very loud but not from the engine sound, lots of noise from wind) and little harsh.
    Golf R32: good sound, good highway cruising, AWD (liked), good interior with leather, DSG is like automatic gearbox (when You start driving in auto mode I think that You will forget the manual mode) but very fast changing the gears, and the only downside is speed (could be little faster)
    And there is no white colour for R32 (only as special order from vw motorsport)
    Sorry for bed engish

buy a golf gti 230cv edition, more or less same r32's performance

Quote:
    andrea said:
    buy a golf gti 230cv edition, more or less same r32's performance

I tried one, not bad at all. But, as Aldo said all GTI's(and Leon Cupra) are not that stable at high speed as R32...

...and I personally hate new wheels on R32(standard ones are from Passat R36, optional are POS...).

I have a GTI DSG with APR reflash. The car now has 180kw+ and 410nm. It's a rocket and much stronger torque than a R32. The GTI was meant to be a temporary car until the R32 comes out, but when I finally drove the R32 I decided to cancel that order as the GTI is a much livelier, and once tuned it is also faster. Btw, DSG has a launch control function and it is easy to launch fast as a result.

I know about DSG launch control...
    BUT, IMHO DSG is much closer in character to TIP then to true manual. It is also a very nice choice for gadget fans... Read a R32 review from PistonHeads in link I posted abouve in this thread. It IMHO perfectly describe DSG character...

alex, the r32 is a great car fom all aspects, the only downside is the performances; they are kinda disapointing IMO , it doesnt feel fast,and it doenst go fast. my best friend have one ,my modded mini was much faster and lately we tried with my megane rs it was faster too. the gti is the better car to drive IMO , but the looks,interior and sound of the r32 are much better

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    Alex,

some time ago i was contemplating on everyday car that i can abuse. The r32 (as well as gti,wrx,minicooper,clio..etc) was in there aswell, but after driving it i felt it was lacking the power i desired. Im going to wait for the evo10, it is by far the best bang for buck and is fast to start of with, that means you wont need to tune it as much as the others.

i say if the s3 is available in your area, buy it!. ive never driven it but the specs look fantastic. the r32 is not bad as well but i don't think its as entertaining to drive as your cooper "s". I personally thought the r32 was tame to my liking.

OR if you can wait, the evo10 will be out with a sequential gearbox sometime in sept/oct/nov of 2007.

amir, i think the evo 10 has been postponed to june 08

R32 is good car, but in this class I would rather take Audi S3 or VW GTI Edtion 30.. because 2.0T FSI engine is much better choice than 3200 ccm 250 hp...

I would rather have a Mitsubishi Evo IX - great deals available - use the savings for mods...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I would rather have a Mitsubishi Evo IX - great deals available - use the savings for mods...

How much for EVO IX??

Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

How much for EVO IX??

Only $24,999 for RS version up to around $32k for loaded MR version, including all destination charges and FREE Turbo Timer...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=248001

Not sure what the price discounts are like in Europe

I like it, love the seats and it's sounds awsome. Go 4 it.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

How much for EVO IX??

Only $24,999 for RS version up to around $32k for loaded MR version, including all destination charges and FREE Turbo Timer...

32.000?
    I might just have to import one. That is dirt cheap.
    A friend of mine has the standard IX w/ Bilstein shocks and that car is incredible. You feel in absolute control all the time and it's extremely fun to drive. The only downside is the consumption - it easily burned up the entire gas tank in about two hours of driving.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

How much for EVO IX??

But we have problem with import US cars, it is not possible here, and Subaru WRX STI and EVO IX cost here 54 000 EUR (about 48 000-50 000 EUR with discount) and Golf R32 with no extra is about 36 000 EUR (34 500 EUR with discount)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775984 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441048 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262398 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260580 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880081 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815080 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM