Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nordschleife 20th of May

Anybody there next Sunday - Gauss, Harry
    Weather forecast is looking good I'll arrive early afternoon (2.00-2.30 pm) only though, as I booked a testdrive of an US sportscar for Sunday morning.
    BTW: Gauss - the usual Lotus suspects will be there all day long
    Looking forward to break in my new Michelins

Re: Nordschleife 20th of May

PJ, Yes I am scheduled to be there meeting up with a group of guys from www.jabbasworld.net. Some of these guys are traveling from Finland and the Czech Rep. just for this meeting of random internet car enthusiasts!!!

So ensure you stop by if you see me or the car as I'm sure I will be in "la la land..."

BTW what US sportscar? The C6 Vette?!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Anybody there next Sunday - Gauss, Harry
    Weather forecast is looking good I'll arrive early afternoon (2.00-2.30 pm) only though, as I booked a testdrive of an US sportscar for Sunday morning.
    BTW: Gauss - the usual Lotus suspects will be there all day long
    Looking forward to break in my new Michelins

Hi Porsche-Jeck,

I'll be there. A few rain drops are announced, I hope the forecast is wrong and the weather/track stays dry nevertheless. I'll see you at the Grüne Hölle

Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    BTW what US sportscar? The C6 Vette?!

Yep - unfortunately they don't provide the Z06 for testdrives anymore after some heroes have totalled some cars Should be fun even with the tame version though.
    Maybe I get a chance if I behave like a good boy with the C6

I'm very much looking forward to meet up with the two of you

Most probably Ferdie will join both parties (C6 testdrive + NBR), so we're at least four Rennteamers at the Green Hell tomorrow

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Most probably Ferdie will join both parties (C6 testdrive + NBR), so we're at least four Rennteamers at the Green Hell tomorrow

(I'm in a silent mood today!)

Harry & Gauss: too bad that we didn't meet each other
    I saw you (Gauss) only once in your car just entering NoS for a lap while I was having a coffee at the Grüne Hölle terrace between two stints
    Bad luck for your friend with the orange Elise (EU numberplate) - while doing my own laps I saw his car parked on the grass. A friend who stopped by to wave the yellow flag told me: broken drifeshaft
    I hope you had a good time on the track
    BTW I was astonished to watch the slightly camouflaged Alfa 8C being tested on a Sunday with all the spectators/tourist-drivers at the Ring.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Harry & Gauss: too bad that we didn't meet each other
    I saw you (Gauss) only once in your car just entering NoS for a lap while I was having a coffee at the Grüne Hölle terrace between two stints
    Bad luck for your friend with the orange Elise (EU numberplate) - while doing my own laps I saw his car parked on the grass. A friend who stopped by to wave the yellow flag told me: broken drifeshaft
    I hope you had a good time on the track
    BTW I was astonished to watch the slightly camouflaged Alfa 8C being tested on a Sunday with all the spectators/tourist-drivers at the Ring.

I saw your car parked next to the cafe. I went there to check if it had the Michelins How did they perform?
    Next time I pm you my phone number so we don't miss each other again
    There have really been lots of people on the ring this weekend. I also noticed the Alfa (sounds terrific), ...and the yellow Carrera GT
    Was Ferdie with you?

How was your trip to the Nordschleiffe, Porsche-Jeck? Hope you had a lot of fun! Wish I could have been there....

Did you take any pics and are you going to write about what happened?

i'm jealous! have fun guys!

Wasn't it Rad am Ring yesterday?

Not quite as spectacular as usual I assume

@ Gauss: yes, next time we should make use of our mobiles I stayed until 6.45 pm. Tank was almost empty, hence a visit of the gas station was due anyway (it would be nice to be the owner of the gas station at the Ring )

The Michelins rock - they are definitely more grippy than the Contis and allow higher curve speed, though a bit digital at the limit. Contis: excellent grip --> good grip --> low grip --> no grip. Michelins: excellent grip --> excellent grip --> excellent grip --> no grip
    After the first lap I put my fingers on the rear tires - they felt like cooked chewing gum

Yes, Ferdie was with me - he must have a very robust stomach (4 taxi laps in a row in Guido's Elise ) But afterwards he had some time to relax while being my passenger in the 987S on my (relative) slow laps

@ Easy: sorry, no pics this time Although I had my brandnew camera with me I didn't take a single shot - too busy with either driving myself or joining others as passenger.
    Well, it has been a perfect Sunday for a pistonhead
    Morning: 1 hour testdrive (together with Ferdie) of the C6 (report & pics to follow in a separate thread)
    Noon: rushing to the Ring (265 km/h with the top down - we had to warm up the engine and to cool our heads before the main event )
    Afternoon: 5 laps driven with my own car + some passenger laps
    Evening: Ferdie and me explaining the abondened wifey during dinner what we did all day long

I'm slowly beginning to understand NoS - apart from learning the blind corners the trick is to avoid any hectic movements (the "calmer" you drive, the faster you go )
    The knife between the teeth doesn't help really - the track unfolds it's magic only if you get into a kind of steady flow, which was very much facilitated by having had some experienced guides (this time in a M3) showing me the line. It went quite well, as there was not that much traffic during my laps, so that I could focus on the track and the guide ahead

@ Dimitri: just drop me a line when your next business trip to Germany is due. Though I'm not sure whether there is a Gallardo loaner available for Ring duties

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Wasn't it Rad am Ring yesterday?

LoL We've been lucky to arrive at afternoon only.
    Indeed the track has been closed around noon - first for the byciclists, then due to some bike accidents. Reopened at 1:45 only - Ferdie and I arrived at 14:15, just in time.
    Thereafter - no more unpleasant interruptions

Sounds like you had a blast! Now I really, really wish I had been there!!

Sorry we didn't get to meet up. I was there at 10:30 and stayed until 3 just when the 'Ring opened back up from having the Rad am Ring.

It was another good day though visiting the 'Ring. Lots of nice eye candy there and since it was also close to the recent Hanseat lots of nice cars being driven hard...

Hey guys,

that was one superb day. Started of with driving the C6 Corvette (again). Had fairly few traffic on that trip, more to follow separatly as PJ said.

Was quite a long time since my last visit to the Ring. Those passenger laps in the Elise were great, just as much as riding with PJ. One could clearly sense his rapid improvement learning the track characteristics and adapting his driving style.
    I was quite surprised, or dare I say shocked, about the time, effort and money that all these people put into their hobby. Anything from ancient econo boxes (VW, Opel, Renault), dedicated track cars with license plates (saw a stripped out 997 Cup with a regular German license plate) to exotics (Carrera GT) and extremely rare cars (a brand new turquoise Caterham) was displayed on the parking lot.

I have to admit that I wouldn't initially know how to survive a whole race in the VLN, driving a potent car on slick tires, for several consecutive laps. Once you have driven that track at full speed you either love it or should search for a different hobby. There is one thing for sure though, anybody who is bragging about lap times, let alone HvS's Nürburgring performance, should first of all show a similiar performance on that track.

Would be great to meet up with you guys next time!

Oh man, you guys are so lucky to live in Germany !!!

It seems everything turned out as expected and everyone had a great time !!!

I cant believe you guys (Achim and Dirk ) did any pics, I mean you have to cooperate with the rennteam family !!

Can't wait to see the pics of the c6 corvette experience !!!

alex

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    I cant believe you guys (Achim and Dirk ) did any pics, I mean you have to cooperate with the rennteam family !!

O.K. Alex, to avoid a Rennteam ban I post some pics - though I "stole" them from some other websites they are at least authentic (all taken last Sunday) and they even include a pic of Ferdie and me

First some shots taken verly early in the morning (hence some of them a bit dark) - the Ring offers a very special atmosphere at this hour of the day, very calm and peaceful (it always gives me the goosebumps if all of a sudden this peaceful and beautiful tourist spot turns into the Green Hell when the very first cars enter the track...)
    /uploads/352143-Grüne-Hölle.jpg

Breidscheid approach - the brakes are happy to get some rest after this point (it's the lowest point after all the way down from the start at Döttinger Höhe - mind you elevation difference appr. 300 m)

If you're tired already, you can exit the track here

Names of the Ring heroes painted on the tarmac

Yummie - love these corners

Roller Coaster

The landscape is beautiful, but while driving you don't have time to admire it - guess I'll do a very slow lap on a calm day to do so.

Here you can watch Ferdie and me at the famous carousel corner (o.k. actually you see only my car )

Almost a clone of my baby - never saw it before with the GT3 style air intakes below the front hood

Typical "action scene": the Noble overcooked the corner at Adenauer Forst - I bet the Cayman driver became a bit nervous

Last one for today: the camoed Alfa 8C has been tested on the Ring last Sunday (nice sound BTW)

Awesome - thanks guys!

@ Gauss: how was the lap in the bus
    I bet the passengers are scared to death when a GT3 approaches at insane speed

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM