Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sportauto supertest: Corvette Z06 (incl. scans)

7-litres V8 engine
    bore x stroke: 104.8 x 101.6 mms
    compression: 11.0 : 1
    512 PS at 6,300 rpm
    72.2 PS/litre
    637 NM at 4,800 rpm

0-100 km/h: 4.5 secs.
    0-160 km/h: 8.9 secs.
    0-200 km/h: 13.6 secs.

Vmax: 320 km/h

kerb weight: 1440 kg
    power-to-weight: 355.55 PS/ton

100-0 km/h: 35.1/34.4 m with cold/warm brakes
    200-0 km/h: 140.2 m

av. fuel consumption in test: 17.4 l/100 km

18 m slalom: 68.2 km/h
    36 m slalom: 134 km/h
    110 m evasion test: 142 km/h

wet handling: 1:32.7 mins.

Nurburgring: 7:49 mins.
    Hockenheimring: 1:11.7 mins.

Quote:

"The Corvette Z06 is both, a cruiser and a racer"

"nearly perfect, powerful engine, the chassis and supsension stand the charges of a challenging track like the Nurburgring easily, exact gear shifts and an easy clutch, slight oversteeer leads to best lap time"

"even thogh the clutch feelsa abit weak it stands the power of the 8-cylinder engine"

Re: Sportauto supertest: Corvette Z06 (incl. scans)

Faster on both track then 997 Turbo... BUT, slower in straight line(read Autobahn!)...

Re: Sportauto supertest: Corvette Z06 (incl. scans

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BUT, slower in straight line(read Autobahn!)...

I dont know, there arent many races on Autobahn thats starts from zero to XXX

More cars tested by sportauto

hockenheim

1:10.9 --- 132.006 km/h - Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, 530 PS/ 1528 kg
    1:11.7 --- 130.544 km/h - Corvette Z06, 512 PS/1440kg
    1:12.7 --- 128.748 km/h - Audi R8, 420 PS/1595 kg
    1:20.2 --- 116.708 km/h - Renault Clio F1, 197 PS/1279 kg
    1:21.5 --- 114.847 km/h - Opel Corsa OPC, 192 PS/1253 kg
    1:22.6 --- 113.454 km/h - VW Polo GTI Cup, 180 PS/1253 kg

Great results on the road coarses, but really lousy acceleration times. Not sure what they did there. 0-60 (100kph) in 4.5 second and 0-124mph (200kph) in 13.6 seconds. I've personally run the quarter mile in 12.2 at 125mph. I didn't have the best launch.
    7:49 on the 'ring is very good. So many factors come into play on such a long course. All those cars that are within 1 second of each other are so close. Will definitely be interesting if they ever put stickier tires on the Z06 to help with corner speeds.
    Can any translate more of the article?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Faster on both track then 997 Turbo... BUT, slower in straight line(read Autobahn!)...

The max speed on Döttinger Höhe (270kph) highlights that the Z06 is slower than the 997TT at high speeds...

Having said that: the Z06 demonstrates excellent performance. Porsche should be ashamed for offering such mediocre performance in their top products (GT3, GT3 RS, 997TT)

Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:
    Great results on the road coarses, but really lousy acceleration times. Not sure what they did there. 0-60 (100kph) in 4.5 second and 0-124mph (200kph) in 13.6 seconds. I've personally run the quarter mile in 12.2 at 125mph. I didn't have the best launch.
    7:49 on the 'ring is very good. So many factors come into play on such a long course. All those cars that are within 1 second of each other are so close. Will definitely be interesting if they ever put stickier tires on the Z06 to help with corner speeds.

Air temperature on the test day was 30*C... This might have a negative impact on acceleration numbers.

Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:
    Not sure what they did there. 0-60 (100kph) in 4.5 second and 0-124mph (200kph) in 13.6 seconds.

Just as mentioned by Markus: 30*C- Sportauto gained 12.0 sec 0-200 km/h in an earlier test at 4*C.

HvS' conclusion: "a small (read: unexpected) sensation....in terms of price/performance the European sportscar makers should blush ....the engine is a "hammer" and the suspension is great....for the first time the Vette's build quality comes close to the European standard.....hat off to a car focussing on the crucial factors....the relative low weight shows the serious attempt to do changes where there are most effective."

BTW HvS' editorial's headline: "The pressure on Porsche increases tremendously" (referring to both, Z06 and R8)

Maybe Nick should read this issue after all his allegations that HvS is Porsche biased

I agree with you 100%!

Horst editorial is the best one for last few years IMHO!

This is one of the best issues of Sport Auto...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

This is one of the best issues of Sport Auto...

I guess the guys in Zuffenhausen won't share this opinion

Editorial + R8/Z06 reviews + readers' letters regarding 997 TT supertest = Porsche's nightmare

Porsche has to stop "rationing" hp and chassis development. They think they are their own competition. They can do a lot better than what they offer now, unless all the money is just for Panamera, VW stock and Mini Cayenne development.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Porsche has to stop "rationing" hp and chassis development. They think they are their own competition. They can do a lot better than what they offer now, unless all the money is just for Panamera, VW stock and Mini Cayenne development.

Porsche won't stop with this model philosophy as long as they sell nearly 100.000 cars each year. The true sports car enthusiast may be disappointed by Porsche and move on to other brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini or even Audi, but as long as the cash-flow is right, Zuffenhausen won't change a thing.

Tyres???

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT 275/35 ZR 18 (front) + 335/30 ZR 19 (rear) - should be the stock equipment as far as I understood from the article

That's very slow. Here's times for mine on a very slippery airplane runway. That was only 3/4 throttle in 1st gear all the way to 60mph.

0-50 3.23
    0-60 3.87
    0-90 6.55
    0-100 7.97
    0-110 9.15
    0-120 10.5
    0-170 23.52
    1-180 27.92

QT 11.2@127

You've got that one right.
    Porsche isn't going to change a thing.
    But in a way, why should they?
    What Porsche does with 400HP other companies have a hard time doing with 500HP.

Quote:
    RR4 said:

Beauty of all wheel drive.

Porsche should never be ashamed. They are great cars, and this is coming from a veteran corvette racer.

My story...a new Z06 vs 997 GT3:

I drove against a new 997 GT3 at my local short course (1.2 miles and 10 turns) last weekend and we were fighting back and forth lap after lap. Now this was a short and very tight track, which definately gave an edge to the Porsche, as I found it difficult to get enought speed to pass him. We were both on new sticky r compounds, so tires were equal. Both cars were stock, with only an air intake in mine.

I found he could take the slower hairpin corners faster and could carry a few mph more through the fast left/right/left esses. It was only on the straits and the high speed sweepers that I could catch and pass him. Then when we got back to the hairpin and esses, he was right on my @ss trying to pass me. It was one of the funnest times I have had in a while. He was trying to get more speed on the main straits by maximizing his corner speed, and I was throwing my car into the esses to the point that I was drifting the whole way through to keep enough speed to utilize the HP on the main strait.

This was my home track, and I have won a few time trails at this course. I was pushing my car and my driving abilities to the LIMIT. He was an instructor. So, from a driver perspective we were dead on with eachother...the perfect storm.

After 25 minutes of battle, I started from behind, passed him on the 4th lap, he passed me a few laps later, and I finally passed him again before the checker flag. I had driven hard and rarely found good competitors, but we were matched! Matter of fact, I drove SO hard that I pulled a muscle in my arm trying to hold on to that beast of a Z06. I literally couldn't work out in the gym for a week until it healed.

In the end I would say we were DEAD on eachother. If the course was longer and faster (like watkins glen, road america) I probably would have eventually pulled away, but his GT3 was soaking up the turns lik a knife through butter...making me push my car beyond it's low speed abilities.

My assesment of both cars (with no magazine talk, no numbers, purley from a driver's perspective)...the GT3 looked easier and more composed through the corners. He was having a much easier time getting his car through a corner quickly. On the other hand, I had to MUSCLE my car through every corner (and it worked, but I was exhausted). I had to drive twice as hard as the Porsche guy and my raw hp and torque made up for my 2-3 mph lesser mid-corner speed. I feel the GT3 had me in the low-medium speed handling department by a slight margin. They are two totally different cars, and need to be driven differently to get fast lap times.

The Z06 had WAY too much body roll, and this track event made me to decide to completely ditch the leaf springs and go with a competition coil-over/sway bar kit, like I had on my previous C5Z06. I think with some heavier springs and dampers, I can get another 30%+ of handling capability out of the car and not have to fight the thing around the course.

In the end the GT3 could not stand up to the raw HP, torque and weight advantage of the Z06. The acceleration was AMAZING off any corner, at ANY time, under ANY condition, and that is the Z06's advantage, the longer the straits..I am gonna get you! The GT3, on the other hand, is a "momentum" car and needs to driven more smoothly to obtain quicker lap times, but remians composed and upright.

I tell you if that GT3 had 100 more HP, I would have been toast that afternoon. Fortunetly for me, that was not the case. In the end, the Z06 was faster (even on a short course) and with some suspension tweaking, it will be even faster, but the GT3 (for it's disadvantes) did AMAZINGLY well.

I say hats off to both, and for me, one should not have this much fun in a single day!

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

Beauty of all wheel drive.

We should be fair - RR4 is right and it has nothing to do with 4wd. Example: the new AM V8 roadster (by chance also featured in the new Sport Auto issue) has 100 horses more than my humble Boxster S (987 3.2 engine), sets you back twice the price (o.k. some more prestige included ) and shows similar/slightly worse straight line performance (not to talk about HHR). Similar comparos could be made with most of the other sportscars in the Porsche line-up.
    The problem is, that Porsches high-end products (south of supercar territory like CGT) are not top of the crowd anymore like it has been in the old days

Thanks - that was an enjoyable read

Quote:
    95jersey said:

I say hats off to both, and for me, one should not have this much fun in a single day!

What a great report Reading it I almost felt like being a passenger in both cars at the same time during the race
    Too bad that I never saw a Z06 at the Ring up today - would love to see a real life comparo with a GT3

Jersey, nice report. If the GT3 weighed 300lbs less, it may have ate you for lunch in the corners and kept up in the straights.

I think Porsche's real battle is fat. The cars are just too frikkin heavy for their own good.

The new 4 cam 7 liter Corvette V8 comes in MY2010. I hope Porsche has something ready to match a high revving 650-700hp V8 in a 3000lb package.

I am worried thast Porsche is becoming a "lifestyle" or "customer purchase statement" kind of company.

Give us some shocking innovation please!

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Porsche should never be ashamed. They are great cars, and this is coming from a veteran corvette racer.

I drove against a new 997 GT3 at my local short course (1.2 miles and 10 turns) last weekend and we were fighting back and forth lap after lap. Now this was a short and very tight track, which definately gave an edge to the Porsche, as I found it difficult to get enought speed to pass him. We were both on new sticky r compounds, so tires were equal. Both cars were stock, with only an air intake in mine.

I found he could take the slower hairpin corners faster and could carry a few mph more through the fast left/right/left esses. It was only on the straits and the high speed sweepers that I could catch and pass him. Then when we got back to the hairpin and esses, he was right on my @ss trying to pass me. It was one of the funnest times I have had in a while. He was trying to get more speed on the main straits by maximizing his corner speed, and I was throwing my car into the esses to the point that I was drifting the whole way through to keep enough speed to utilize the HP on the main strait.

This was my home track, and I have won a few time trails at this course. I was pushing my car and my driving abilities to the LIMIT. He was an instructor. So, from a driver perspective we were dead on with eachother...the perfect storm.

After 25 minutes of battle, I started from behind, passed him on the 4th lap, he passed me a few laps later, and I finally passed him again before the checker flag. I had driven hard and rarely found good competitors, but we were matched! Matter of fact, I drove SO hard that I pulled a muscle in my arm trying to hold on to that beast of a Z06. I literally couldn't work out in the gym for a week until it healed.

In the end I would say we were DEAD on eachother. If the course was longer and faster (like watkins glen, road america) I probably would have eventually pulled away, but his GT3 was soaking up the turns lik a knife through butter...making me push my car beyond it's low speed abilities.

My assesment of both cars (with no magazine talk, no numbers, purley from a driver's perspective)...the GT3 looked easier and more composed through the corners. He was having a much easier time getting his car through a corner quickly. On the other hand, I had to MUSCLE my car through every corner (and it worked, but I was exhausted). I had to drive twice as hard as the Porsche guy and my raw hp and torque made up for my 2-3 mph lesser mid-corner speed. I feel the GT3 had me in the low-medium speed handling department by a slight margin. They are two totally different cars, and need to be driven differently to get fast lap times.

The Z06 had WAY too much body roll, and this track event made me to decide to completely ditch the leaf springs and go with a competition coil-over/sway bar kit, like I had on my previous C5Z06. I think with some heavier springs and dampers, I can get another 30%+ of handling capability out of the car and not have to fight the thing around the course.

In the end the GT3 could not stand up to the raw HP, torque and weight advantage of the Z06. The acceleration was AMAZING off any corner, at ANY time, under ANY condition, and that is the Z06's advantage, the longer the straits..I am gonna get you! The GT3, on the other hand, is a "momentum" car and needs to driven more smoothly to obtain quicker lap times, but remians composed and upright.

I tell you if that GT3 had 100 more HP, I would have been toast that afternoon. Fortunetly for me, that was not the case. In the end, the Z06 was faster (even on a short course) and with some suspension tweaking, it will be even faster, but the GT3 (for it's disadvantes) did AMAZINGLY well.

Yeah that's what I have always said about the Vettes and Vipers. They're as fast or faster than Porsche or Ferrari but much more difficult to drive at that pace. But for 2 to 3 times the price the GT3 and Stradale should be easy to drive at the limit.

Impressive indeed.

Thanks for the scan.

Excellent report! The GT3 is the best Porsche has to offer on tight slower tracks. Very similar to the Lotus Exige S. It will stay with the Z06 but ultimately succumb to the hp.

Here is a link comparing the three cars.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...he-911-gt3.html

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I am worried thast Porsche is becoming a "lifestyle" or "customer purchase statement" kind of company.

With the profits they make with the minimal upgrades, do you blame them?
    The only way Porsche will change their ways is when their sales begin to slope down. That's when they'll invest some of these BILLIONS in profit into, oh, I don't know performance?

ps excellent report 95jersey, I thoroughly enjoyed it

It is not even straightline performance that is lacking. Unlike the Carrera models the TT seems to be a bit of a handfull in certain conditions. The fact that it doesn't stand out of the crowd is the crucial thing. I am rather delighted to see that there is an additional choice of car available with the Z06...

Quote:
    95jersey said:

Great story, buddy!

Thanks for the scans, i'm impressed!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:
    Not sure what they did there. 0-60 (100kph) in 4.5 second and 0-124mph (200kph) in 13.6 seconds.

Just as mentioned by Markus: 30*C- Sportauto gained 12.0 sec 0-200 km/h in an earlier test at 4*C.

HvS' conclusion: "a small (read: unexpected) sensation....in terms of price/performance the European sportscar makers should blush ....the engine is a "hammer" and the suspension is great....for the first time the Vette's build quality comes close to the European standard.....hat off to a car focussing on the crucial factors....the relative low weight shows the serious attempt to do changes where there are most effective."

BTW HvS' editorial's headline: "The pressure on Porsche increases tremendously" (referring to both, Z06 and R8)

Maybe Nick should read this issue after all his allegations that HvS is Porsche biased

I still believe he is biased. His times are the worst recorded for the Z06. But the car is so good and could not fudge them to badly. However, note he is one second slower than the GT3's on a fast track like the Ring. Total nonsense. The RS or GT3 would not stand a chance driven by equal unbiased drivers.

I think HvS did a very credible lap.

As you all recall back in 2005 (attn Carlos! )It was Magnussen, GM's FIA championship Corvette driver who got a 7:42.99 time - and said that lap was the fastest and scariest he had ever gone in any Corvette. He was driving at 12/10's.

So for HvS to only be a bit off of that is a notable achievement, shows great talent from him and also shows that the Z06 is a amazing car.

There is a faster Corvette coming next year and a even faster one coming the year after that - complete with are you ready....German Leather!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688657 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408740 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773428 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM