Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Fun with a 335i

Today whilst out for my Sunday blast I came accross a 335i with an owner that was very keen to show me what it could do!

So we ended up at some lights leading onto an A road so I thought we'd give him what he wanted!!! Jeeeeessus that car can shift.. To be fair I had a friend on board and he was on his own, but I was only just able to keep up with him! We go up to pretty high speed and I was not catching him! I ended up backing off in the end as we had had our fun and I dont agree with racing on public roads (It was very early and quiet this morning)

Very very fast car, actually sounded great as well perhaps he had an after market exhaust but it looked a bit pants though...

If the 335i is like this the new M3 will be a moster!!!!!!

Re: Fun with a 335i

Did you have the roof up or down?

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    ...... but it looked a bit pants though...

Thats why he needed to race you

dont worry, I would rather be in a Boxster than a 335i anyday.

is not all about speed

Not the same type of car...the Boxster is pure fun.
    The 335i is a really good mix of practicality/looks/performance. I have yet to try one tough :-)

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Did you have the roof up or down?

Roof was up, was very wet yesterday.

I know what you mean about them being different types of car, but one is supposed to be a sports car and one is supposed to be a coupe... IMO the sports car should have more HP!

But again, I agree I would much rather be in the boxtser!!! Yes it does say M3 order at the bottom of my sig, but that will be changing me thinks!

btw, was the 335 a coupe or a convertible?

richJ, you drive the S version right? no way the 335i can beat you!! you prolly giving him mercy!!

btw, if i were you, i would get the 997 over the m3. the price gap is prolly around 20k or less. if you can throw in the extra 20k, you get what every german kid had dreamed of.. the 911!! :P

Well I have a 987S and I'm picking up my 335i this week, in terms of straight line performance the 335i does have the lead. Ofcouse it doesn't feels like a Box but it's quite a marvel.

The 07 3.4 engine does feel a little stronger but I still think Porsche can do better than just that, hope the FSI direct injection upgrade next year with help inject extra power/torque/efficiency to complement the able chassis.

damn and the 997 base is not much faster than the boxsterS.. so a 335i might out perform a base 911 on straight roads? ><

com'on porsche! we need a bigger upgrade on the 911s!!

Yup looking forward to intimidate 987s and 997s on the road! Well ofcourse not at the track...

The 335i is turbo, with a chip and exhaust on there your going to be flying!!!!

Scary times!

And yes mine is an S, tbh as we came off the corner I gunned it a little early and got the PSM flashing so lost a little there but there was no doubting the speed of the BMW

Hi,

I have driven both cars and since bought a new boxster s. The s is the faster car, the 335i is quick but is rather bulky and no where near as managable. And at the end of the day its a BMW so you get all the stigma and poor build quality. My last car was a BMW i also have a M3 on order but will sell it as soon as i collect it.

With a chip the 335i was producing 400bhp as i looked into it when i was considering it. But at the same price as the boxster there was no comparison.

Kevin

Glad you settled on the car that was right for you But, if you don't mind me saying so, ordering more than one car and then keeping the one you like most is a pretty expensive way to make your choice. Why do it that way? Wouldn't some extended test drives have done the trick? Once again, no offence intended - just curious!

i was in italy and france last month giving the boxster s a damn good thrashing. on the motorways in italy, the drivers are proper mad. on three separate occasions, i went from having nobody behind me, to out of nowehere, having a 335 sat in my boot. i tried dropping a gear and flooring it....still they were sat in my boot. they are fast cars, and when driven by italians!!!

Quote:
    kerr said:
    they are fast cars, and when driven by italians!!!

A Fiat Panda is a force to be reckoned with when being driven by an Italian

The M3 has been on order for almost 2 years now. But it just kept getting delayed. But all along i wanted a porsche, Fast forward to a month ago when i decided screw it i am just going to buy one. So i became the proud owner of a boxster. I am not taking anything away from the 335i fast car but not a sports car. I was whisker away from buying one and keeping it till the m3 arrived but so glad i did'nt as i would not change the boxster for anyting in its price range :-). Though if i was buying a second car i would prob get a 335d.

Kev

Kev

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    If the 335i is like this the new M3 will be a moster!!!!!!

no doubt those new bmw are fast and easy to drive, but no soul and ugly imo.

My wife's next car is a BMW 335i Cab (the new one with the SLK-like roof). Right now she is driving a Boxster S. The reason for the change? Pretty simple: she needs two rear seats (kids), so she doesn't need to exchange cars with me all the time and of course cost. A 335i Cab would cost her half the lease cost of the Boxster S.
    She would actually rather go for the 330i but I have to drive her car too, so I need the most possible power (with the exception of the M3 of course). I'll get used to it, at least I don't have to listen to those crappy comments about a "housewife" Porsche anymore.

I sold my 987S for a 335i.
    Why did I do that ?
    I'm mostly driving on highways now, and the 987S was to noisy.
    The 335i really is faster than the 987s on straight line, and the torque is just amazing and everywhere !
    And well... I think it looks good too

Anyway, 2 very different cars, I like both very much, but according to the way I use my car everyday, I don't think I would go back to the 987s...

I think you're missing the point here.
    The Boxster is not a straight-line dragster. It's a sportscar.
    Any chump can floor a pedal in a fast car and outrun a Porsche.
    The fun begins the moment the road isnt straight anymore.
    That usually seperates the Boxster from most other cars.

I regularly have people playing cute and staying close to my rear on the straight. The moment we enter a corner at hi speed, they re no longer eager to stay close to me.

The BMW is no doubt an excellent and fast sporty cruiser - and I'd prolly prefer it to the Boxster on long commutes.
    Having said that - I would miss the Boxster at all other times.

All I said is that it is indeed faster on the straight line, because that's why people were talking about, nothing less, nothing more.
    So please... don't patronize me

But we agree on your 2 last sentences, I loved the 987S until I had "long" commutes everyday.

According to all the car reviews I've seen the 335i Coupé is NOT faster in a straight line - even compared to the "old" 3.2 987S (all acc. tests 0-100/120/140/160/180/200 pretty much the same with a very slight edge for the Boxster S).
    Of course the BMW's massive torque at low revs makes you feel faster, while you need to rev the P to get the same feeling
    Now if you'd take the 335i cab, which adds 200 kg weight compared to the Coupé (cab weight: about 1.8 tons ) there is no way the car could be faster than a Boxster S in a straight line
    Having said that I'm convinced the 335i (either coupé or cab) are excellent cars - the Sportauto's Supertest showed a very good performance of the coupé at NoS (only 3 sec slower than 3.2 Boxster S), though it stood no chance at HHR (+1.6 sec).
    Both excellent cars for different purposes
    It seems to have become popular to complain about the P's lacking straight line performance, but it's not that slow - please let's stick to the facts (tests á la Sportauto) instead of drawing general conclusions from private highway races

@ RC: lease rates for the 335i cab at 50% of the 987S must be a hell of a deal considering that the BMW's list price is only 10% less compared to the P - well done

Quote:
    BangoO said:
    All I said is that it is indeed faster on the straight line, because that's why people were talking about, nothing less, nothing more.

But we agree on your 2 last sentences, I loved the 987S until I had "long" commutes everyday.

If you're referring to my post, it wasn't meant to be patronizing in any way whatsoever. Sorry if it came across as being that
    And I also realize that this is a simple post about a straigthline drag between two cars.

It was actually a comment to all the usual complaints about "Porsches not being fast enough" and "P's need more power to separate themselves from "regular" cars".
    Let's face it: There is a general competition going on between car manufacturers. A competition of who's got the most powerful car, and fastest car - measured in straight line.
    Apparently bragging rights at the cafe or bar are more effective sales points than claiming that u build the most fun or best handling cars.
    IMO that's sad - but I also know that people have very different automotive needs, tastes and preferences. And so Porsches are by no means the only "real" car to all people.
    I understand the irritation that comes with having a Porsche that cant outrun a "regular BMW" in a straight line. I sometimes feel the same irritation - especially because I know a lot of people on the roads kinda expect a P to be faster than the rest - and hence feel a great deal of satisfaction in being faster than a P - "the quintessential sportscar".
    A few months ago, I wrote about how i somehow managed to keep up with a 997TT in my measely 986S. It was great fun and a good story. But at the end of the day, he drove home in a 997TT...and me in my 986s.
    It's kinda the same with the Beemer and the 987s.
    I'm not into BMW's at all - however I recognize that they built some pretty darn good cars. Having said that - I'd rather get eaten by a beemer (any Beemer) and roll into my garage in my 986 than reversing the roles.

OK, gimme the M5 and Ill trade it for a full specced Cayman or 987s

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    BangoO said:

If you're referring to my post, it wasn't meant to be patronizing in any way whatsoever. Sorry if it came across as being that

BangoO, enjoy your new car I haven't driven the 335i yet, but I'm sure it's an excellent car I've always been a big fan of the 3series, especially regarding the driving dynamics, which IMO is one of the best south of all genuine sports cars. Also I can understand your motivation to swap the Boxster S (not really a cozy Highway cruiser).
    As someone has mentioned BMW's "poor build quality": I've driven/owned quite some BMWs and never had a single problem with them (maybe a lucky draw ).
    Still the 335i is not faster than the Boxster S in a straightline

Maybe it's not but it feels like it is
    Surely because of all that torque !

Good posts, Porsche-Jeck. Thanks for keeping it real. I too wonder why people always want to compare fixed-roof cars to convertibles, the classic case in my mind being the e46 M3 which is a stalwart performer as a coupe, but as a convertible...not so much.

However, it's been reported by at least one car mag that some of these 335i's are hot, and dynoing well above their reported performance figures. Perhaps RichJ encountered such a specimen.

One has to bear in mind Power:Weight ratio changes not insignificantly in a light car like the Boxster S when a passenger is added. If the case was turned around where RichJ was driving alone and the 335 had a male passenger, things would be quite different. I know when I'm driving alone in my 997S, it's a different beast compared to when my wife and baby are onboard, as then the car feels almost sluggish.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM