Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Thinking about a DB9 Volante - opinions please

Mike,

Need a classy open top car?

How about this one

if you look in the first page i have already stated that in 2 years of ownership of a DB9 coupe i had any single problem. I see a lot of bad comments of people who have not even driven the AM : i owned in my life, among the others, 2 911 turbo, 2 911 C4s, a ferrari 360 , so I think, based on my expetience, that for Mike , considering that is plenty of very fast cars, a DB9 (please stay with the 12 cyl!!) volante is what he need.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Mike,

Need a classy open top car?

How about this one

Hi Kreso,

Thanks for the input! I already have the Arnage T, not looking to get another Bentley. Plus I don't like the GTC, the roof looks like a hump that has grown on the back of the car. Lines do not flow as well as the coupe.

Quote:
    art.italy said:
    (please stay with the 12 cyl!!) volante is what he need.

Care to elaborate?

If that is the case then best of luck with DB9 Volante...

But, if Aston then this would be my choice...

i think the sound and the feel of the 12 is better than the 8. Personally i also like more the line of the DB9 respect to the vantage that is a beautiful car but seem "short" compared to the DB9. Just my opinion...

Mike, DB9s are unreliable enough that it might just spoil your ownership experience - a bit like the RS4 let you down. From what I understand, the V8 Vantage is far more reliable.

Maybe the new DBS will have much better build quality? Why not go for that?

What major issues did the Rs4 Have??

What a lot of negativity against one of the most beautiful cars on the planet.
    The DB9 would be my nr.1 choice if I was in the market for a high end comfortable cruiser. With the handling pack the car is still very sweet but handles so much better.
    I think I feel exactly what you want and you could not make a better choice.

Why are people saying it does not handle well ? It is not meant to be a sportscar , it serves a different purpose , the purpose Mike is looking for.

Gallardo : of course not , that is not a real car for daily driving. It's art on wheels but no cruiser.
    Bentley : so ugly in comparison to the DB9

The only one that comes really close is the XKR but of course does not offer the same image.

Quote:
    art.italy said:
    if you look in the first page i have already stated that in 2 years of ownership of a DB9 coupe i had any single problem.

sorry i overlooked that art, must be fun, how about some pics someday from a nice scene in italy.

Mike: Have you driven a DB9 yet?

art.italy: I don't mean to criticize your taste/choice in cars, but I just don't like the DB9. And yes, I have driven one - plenty.
    BTW, what did you think of the steering feel? I thought it was horrible, no feedback at all - felt like driving a Volvo. For me that's reason enough to discard the car.

no problem John!
    You are right about the steering, compared to 911 or 360 is definitely less responsive. The point, to my opinion, is that Mike is looking for a beatiful, high end comfortable cruiser...he already has Lamborghini, 911 etc...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Mike, DB9s are unreliable enough that it might just spoil your ownership experience - a bit like the RS4 let you down. From what I understand, the V8 Vantage is far more reliable.

Hi easy,

Like I said I want an open top cruiser with a great sound. Got enough coupes

Quote:
    MattyMo said:
    What major issues did the Rs4 Have??

The clutch was giving me hell after 2500 miles. Dealer could not fix it 100% and then when the car came back some more error lights came on.

Quote:
    993S said:
    What a lot of negativity against one of the most beautiful cars on the planet.
    The DB9 would be my nr.1 choice if I was in the market for a high end comfortable cruiser. With the handling pack the car is still very sweet but handles so much better.
    I think I feel exactly what you want and you could not make a better choice.

Why are people saying it does not handle well ? It is not meant to be a sportscar , it serves a different purpose , the purpose Mike is looking for.

Hit the nail on the head 993S! If I wanted more reponsive feedback etc. I'll drive the 430 or Lotus - for crazy power the LP640 is plenty enough

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I was thinking that choice, since Mike is now in the AM market , but reading and reading this thread, I just realised he is looking for a GT cabriolet...

Well you know Mike I would say go for a 997 GT3 , but since you are looking for a GT cabriolet car, I think the DB9 is just the best as it can be....I think its the best option to take, since the AMV8 also looks amazing, but in terms of performance it will let you down(because of the cars you have !!!, not because its slow )

Send a pm to MaxT, I believe he has a DB9 volante, and hopefully he will answer you some questions, may be he had issues with the cars(as everyone is saying) or may be not

Too bad you are thinking of selling the 997S cabriolet, but well, then the LP640, F430 and the large etc comes to my mind, so there is no need to have lots of sportscars, and I think the idea of you having a sportcar GT like a DB9 is a great idea , if I was in the market searching for a GT car, the DB9 would be my choice, I prefer the Aston rather than the Bentley Continental GTC..

I remember when I visited the AM dealer, starting the engine in the AMV8 vs the DB9, was like day and night, inmediately when I heard the ignition sound, followed by the first acceleration to idle the car, it completely left me smiling and shocked at the same time!!!!

I'd say; if you can afford it, do it !!!

By the way, did you sort out the issue in the JCW????

just saw this video!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKhEpifPTlY&mode=related&search=

Mike,

My boss's wife has the Volante. I'm not kidding when I say this but it's always at the dealers for emissions issues, brake problems or something else etc etc. She's had it now for about 8 or 9 months I think and I see her in her partners F575 more than I do her car. Nice looking car though. Personally, I wouldn't do it no matter how good it looks.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Mike,

My boss's wife has the Volante. I'm not kidding when I say this but it's always at the dealers for emissions issues, brake problems or something else etc etc. She's had it now for about 8 or 9 months I think and I see her in her partners F575 more than I do her car. Nice looking car though. Personally, I wouldn't do it no matter how good it looks.

Thanks for the pics ResB. Coincidentally the pics of your boss' wife's car looks exactly like the spec they have on the showroom floor. Black with white interior and Kahn wheels

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Mike,

Thanks for the pics ResB. Coincidentally the pics of your boss' wife's car looks exactly like the spec they have on the showroom floor. Black with white interior and Kahn wheels

There's no denying, it look mint. It drives nice as well. (when it's running that is ) Can't get used to the handbrake though. lol

Get the Aston.

The Aston has its own unique presence that no other car offers. You have the others to play road joker with.

Get one with a manual transmission or never post here again!

If you were to downsize your fleet, I bet you would keep the Aston, the Exige and the Cayenne. The others are just fluff. haha!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Hi easy,

Sorry Mike - my mistake. Should've realised you only wanted a convertible

I would rather have the Vantage Roadster over a DB9 Volante though. The Vantage in roadster form just looks sexier to me!

Happy shopping!

Quote:
    ResB said:
    it's always at the dealers for emissions issues, brake problems or something else etc etc. She's had it now for about 8 or 9 months I think and I see her in her partners F575

First, great pics ResB.

Is there a lemon law in England? Is Aston really that bad? Or is it picky people who might hear a squeek? No other brand gets such comments.

I found this test by top gear very informative. The vanquish was only .3 seconds slower than the 575 on their test track. So to those who say its slow, heavy, or can't handle, I now think that falls into the agenda category.

But it did confirm the tranny issue.

vanquish vs. 575 fun to see & hear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7fNGtcIeJg&NR=1

If the DBS comes with a reliable clutch, that would be the one.

Hey Mike,

Why dont you get a Jaguar XKR convertible? Faster than the aston and newer... looks different...?

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    Hey Mike,

Why dont you get a Jaguar XKR convertible? Faster than the aston and newer... looks different...?

Hi James,

the new XK looks like a Hyundai to me from the back. (no offense to it's owners) The front the eyes(headlights) look squint - too close together.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Hi easy,

Sorry Mike - my mistake. Should've realised you only wanted a convertible

I would rather have the Vantage Roadster over a DB9 Volante though. The Vantage in roadster form just looks sexier to me!

Happy shopping!

Hi easy,

The AM V8 Roadster looks great I agree. Like I said I test drove the coupe here last year and it was a bit too slow for the price $220,000! The roadster won't be due for SA until next year anyways.

I can only comment on the looks of such cars, and IMO the only front-engined GT more beautiful than the DB9 Volante is the new SLR Roadster.

I know it'll only be an addition to all the fast hardcore coupes you have, but it's still wise to be aware of the possible problems with a soft GT's handling not connected with the need of comfort. And from what I hear at least the early DB9 Volante's had some problems which might come to irritate you every time you drive it and keep you from enjoying the car to the full..

So maybe an SLR then

The SLR Roadster is simply sex on wheels but only when the top is down. With the top up it looks much less attractive IMO.

I'm sure Mike is gonna make the right choice for him - he's been choosing pretty nicely so far

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688542 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408695 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65393 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857577 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773365 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM