Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2017 V12 Vantage S test,150mph on a lake and a Geman gets tasered

Congrats Sir, on your beautiful Vantage and R !

I will be collecting mine in two weeks time if all goes well. It too will be joining an R in the garage. I can't wait !

I think the Aston has a gearbox one needs to learn, specific lessons for it only. It requires thought and feel with each gear change, were as in the R, you only need to consider your rev counter and move the lever..... easy.

Thanks for your impressions.

Greetings, B

Wow Nick, that picture of your garage just had me drooling on my keyboard! Of course I knew you had these cars, but seeing them together like that... 

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Whoopsy:

Took the Aston and drove up to Whistler. First time I get to open up the car.

It's not a super fast car, but fast enough. The clutch is surprisingly light, and the gearbox can be a bit more precise, the gates seems too tightly packed and I had to do each shift deliberately, missed 4th a couple times and went directly to 6th, same thing with 5th, went 6th to 3rd by mistake also. But overall the dogleg is fine, as the flipped pattern doesn't affect me, I don't mind the even gears are on top and odds gears are at the bottom. 

This V12 is a completely different beast than my Ferrari V12s. Sounded totally different and reacts differently too.

The Ferrari begs to be revved mercilessly, it is happiest at the top of the rev range. Nothing matches the fantastic wail from the V12 at the top of the rev band.

The Aston is more calm, it's like a British gentleman in a suit, who is never hurried and who never runs and will at most walk briskly. It doesn't mind staying down low in the rev band, in fact, the glorious exhaust sounds the best down low, when the throaty sound is loudest. 

1st gear is surprisingly long, quite useful for city traffic actually, no need to do a 1-2 shift in city driving like I do in the 911R. And talking about the R, I so wish that shifter is in the Aston, that would be a dream to use on the Aston dogleg. About my only knock on it right now.

Actually I lied, second knock would be the wonky infotainment system, it doesn't want to stay on, after 20-30mins it keep resetting itself and keep opening and closing the screen, sort of annoying but it's a British car, I never expect those to be perfect.

I only wish I had bought this thing sooner, it's very enjoyable to drive! Just like my other 2 manuals.

By coincidence, all 3 of my manual cars are together for the first time.

IMG_5713.jpg

Wow... Those are all keepers and the manual will keep them unique in 20 years. That's the main reason that I think makes the manual a really good choice in such cars. Imagine driving an automatic gearbox from 20 years ago after driving the PDK, I would hate it. Congrats

One more pic, this thing is just pure sexiness 

IMG_5717.jpg

--

champs:

I will be collecting mine in two weeks time if all goes well. It too will be joining an R in the garage. I can't wait !

I think the Aston has a gearbox one needs to learn, specific lessons for it only. It requires thought and feel with each gear change, were as in the R, you only need to consider your rev counter and move the lever..... easy.

Greetings, B

Smiley

There is more Aston love on this site than we think Smiley

It drives very differently than the R that's for sure. Everything happens in the 911R quicker. Aston is the slower more deliberate one.

--

Whoopsy:
    champs:

Greetings, B

Smiley

It drives very differently than the R that's for sure. Everything happens in the 911R quicker. Aston is the slower more deliberate one.

I am enjoying all the input on the Vantage V12S 7 Speed.

I have not yet driven one myself, but I have had a drive in one ......... was a different special to what I am used to.

I realize the Aston and the R are two different tools for two different jobs.  

Whoopsy:

IMG_5717.jpg

Very true...Smiley

Now compare that to a Tesla... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

It's not a super fast car, but fast enough. The clutch is surprisingly light, and the gearbox can be a bit more precise, the gates seems too tightly packed and I had to do each shift deliberately, missed 4th a couple times and went directly to 6th, same thing with 5th, went 6th to 3rd by mistake also. But overall the dogleg is fine, as the flipped pattern doesn't affect me, I don't mind the even gears are on top and odds gears are at the bottom. 

This V12 is a completely different beast than my Ferrari V12s. Sounded totally different and reacts differently too.

The Ferrari begs to be revved mercilessly, it is happiest at the top of the rev range. Nothing matches the fantastic wail from the V12 at the top of the rev band.

The Aston is more calm, it's like a British gentleman in a suit, who is never hurried and who never runs and will at most walk briskly. It doesn't mind staying down low in the rev band, in fact, the glorious exhaust sounds the best down low, when the throaty sound is loudest. 

1st gear is surprisingly long, quite useful for city traffic actually, no need to do a 1-2 shift in city driving like I do in the 911R. And talking about the R, I so wish that shifter is in the Aston, that would be a dream to use on the Aston dogleg. About my only knock on it right now.

Actually I lied, second knock would be the wonky infotainment system, it doesn't want to stay on, after 20-30mins it keep resetting itself and keep opening and closing the screen, sort of annoying but it's a British car, I never expect those to be perfect.

I only wish I had bought this thing sooner, it's very enjoyable to drive! Just like my other 2 manuals.

IMG_5713.jpg

you can install a lift in there...

Whoopsy:

The infotainment reset is a bug in an earlier release of the software and it is fixed now.  I had my dealer apply the latest firmware and it went away overnight.

The firmware that fixed the bugs is :

App : 2.3.1
    Base : 1.053

Actually there is another new version out in mid October too - this one adds in Android Auto support too.  All available through your dealer free of charge. Smiley

--

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Dogleg Manual, Kermit Green, Buckets

Adam2S:

Whoopsy:

The infotainment reset is a bug in an earlier release of the software and it is fixed now.  I had my dealer apply the latest firmware and it went away overnight.

Actually there is another new version out in mid October too - this one adds in Android Auto support too.  All available through your dealer free of charge. Smiley

--

I wish VW Group would be that generous as well... I would even pay for an upgrade to get Apple CarPlay (CarPlay and Android Auto are available for the next model year of my R8) but...impossible. Technically? No problem but apparently Audi doesn't want to offer software updates for the system and mess with it. Smiley Only navigation data is updatable. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    champs:

Greetings, B

Smiley

Is it really slower than the R? You would think such an engine in such a small car would make it fly?

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

RC:
    Whoopsy:

IMG_5717.jpg

Very true...Smiley

Now compare that to a Tesla... Smiley Smiley

Shhhh, resist my friend! Don't you start that flame war again. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Jaguar, McLaren... meh... but Aston, the may not be the best handling or fastest but they have character and charm, their design is timeless, sexy and elegant, and they sound amazing. It's those type of cars you don't mind it not being perfect, but you love to own it and drive it, like driving a classic 911. Wouldn't be my first or second choice for a sportscar, but if I could have several, an Aston would be one of them, manual of course.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Jaguar, McLaren... meh... but Aston, the may not be the best handling or fastest but they have character and charm, their design is timeless, sexy and elegant, and they sound amazing. It's those type of cars you don't mind it not being perfect, but you love to own it and drive it, like driving a classic 911. Wouldn't be my first or second choice for a sportscar, but if I could have several, an Aston would be one of them, manual of course.

Maybe that was what I was missing. As I have said many times, they look great, they sound great, but the driving experience always stops me pulling the trigger on an Aston purchase.

@Whoopsy  the overhead shot of the front/ bonnet SmileySmileySmiley.

There is not a single 911 I would take to replace my custom spec toro/sand/mahogany 08 Vantage Roadster today. The only Porsche I would replace it with is a Singer Targa.

Aston over the years have provided a factory power upgrade kit and a factory Bluetooth streaming upgrade. The nav is obsolete but I use Waze anyway so it doesn’t matter whatsoever, actually I never even pop out the screen. Maintenance has been pretty low for a handmade car (I just refit two leather panels for a mere $1,300). It is only a V8, but sound is epic with a dealer installed Larini exhaust.

There is a lot of justified Aston love here kiss

wantone:
    Whoopsy:

IMG_5713.jpg

you can install a lift in there...

Or 2............

I was measuring the garage's height on a ladder and I looked back and had to take an overhead shot of the car Smiley

--

crayphile:
    Carlos from Spain:

Maybe that was what I was missing. As I have said many times, they look great, they sound great, but the driving experience always stops me pulling the trigger on an Aston purchase.

@Whoopsy  the overhead shot of the front/ bonnet SmileySmileySmiley.

Perhaps time to get one Smiley They are not sold out yet that's for sure. 

With the manual, you control the driving experience. Skipping the horrible automated manual box.

--

Porker:
    Whoopsy:
    champs:

Greetings, B

Smiley

Is it really slower than the R? You would think such an engine in such a small car would make it fly?

My extremely accurate butt dyne says it is. Smiley

The 911R gave up around 70HP but is like 600lbs lighter.

The 1-2 shift takes a millennium in the Aston while the 911R is lightning fast. 2-3 shift in the 911R can be achievement very quickly and accurately, not so in the Aston. Even though it's straight down, the spring sort of pushes the lever towards the middle between 3 and 5, so if I am not careful I would grab 5th instead of 3rd. 3-4 shift in the Aston can also  mean 3-6 as the gates are REALLY CLOSE. 

The engine in the 911R also revs faster than the Aston V12. But in gear, the Aston is quite swift in picking up speed. Even in 7th gear it doesn't mind pulling from just 1k rpm, absolutely no protest, it just gets to work. 

At the end of the day, the Aston is not for driving fast, to do that I take the 911R. It is much more analog than the 911R ever wished to be, it is more along the lines of my Turbo 3.6, a car that can be enjoyed driving slow, even when it is still a quick car. 

In a couple days I am taking the Aston to my track to really open it up.................

--

Can't resist, one more pic.

IMG_5701.JPG

The proportions on this car is just so perfect!
    --

Adam2S:

Whoopsy:

K, mine is still running 2.1.15 for App and 1.039 Base.

Is CarPlay enabled yet for current versions?

--

Whoopsy:

Can't resist, one more pic.

IMG_5701.JPG

The proportions on this car is just so perfect!
    --

Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Adam2S:

Whoopsy:

K, mine is still running 2.1.15 for App and 1.039 Base.

Is CarPlay enabled yet for current versions?

Ok, then for sure you have a buggy version.  The version I have posted above supports Apple CarPlay and was released in March 2017, it is also the first version that was materially stable and certainly goes a very long way to resolve the crashing/restart bug.   Apple CarPlay was also rolled out free of charge.

As I posted above there is another major new version due mid October, which not only adds in Andriod Auto too, but I am told will fix the last couple of niggles I have (including the current lack of USB track shuffle), so you may want to hold back for that rather than get it updated twice in a month?   I will drop you a post once it is on release in the UK.

Oh and if it helps, I have produced a sort of FAQ for the AMi III infotainment system over on Pistonheads (I am AdamV12V over there) - so there is quite a bit of info on there if you have the time to read.  Hope it helps.

AMi III Setup Tips

--

Whoopsy:

Don't worry, I was missing gears like mad the first 2-3 outings in the car. It's almost second nature to me now. The gearbox is definitely not nearly as precise or easy to use as a 911, but it's still a great load of fun Smiley

Managed to take a few more pictures from this weekend.

I got to admit, I always thought the DB9 was the best Aston in terms of design but after seeing those above I'm not too sure.

Lovely spec Mike. Is the leather as qualitative and soft as the pictures suggest it is? angel

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Glad to hear that AP911 wink What I love about the V12 Vantage is that it was a total "skunkworks" project by the engineers within Aston. It was never planned from day one. Similar story to the Z3 M Coupe at BMW.

Thanks Porker! It's literally as amazing as it looks. Feels like silk. One of the softest leathers I've ever felt!

Mr Mike S

You have my kind of spec Sir !

I still wish I could have configured my own build ! I am at the bottom end of Africa and we were given just 4 cars, all factory speced. I was left with no choice but to grab the Speedway white with Orange Sports Pack. I do like it, but it is not my first choice ! I can however hardly wait  to take delivery in 2 weeks time !

Thank goodness it has the sport buckets !

My 911 R is white with red, so I guess the white and Orange Aston will look good with it !

Here it is below waiting for the Xpel.IMG-20170822-WA0012 (3).jpg

Thank you all for you great photo's and info !

Keep 'em coming  !

Greetings, B

Brilliant, quite a collection of V12 Vantage here on RT!

--

Adam2S:

Looks like the latest version is already out, I just got my car flashed. One step ahead of you now Smiley

IMG_5803.JPG

--

Whoopsy:
    Adam2S:

Looks like the latest version is already out, I just got my car flashed. One step ahead of you now Smiley

Wow, thanks - most importantly has it sorted the crashing for you?

Funnily enough I emailed the factory yesterday about the October release and they havnt responded yet.  For the avoidance of doubt does this release include Andriod Auto ?  Also can you confirm please if when using USB if it resumes playing the same track as it was on before rather than starting from the first track again.  The engine needs to be off for 1min+ for this bug to occur.

Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM