Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What is this in the trunk?

On this picture I see two boxes in the trunk of the turbo, the smaller on is CD changer, but what is the bigger one? I do not have this in my car.

Re: What is this in the trunk?

The right half (facing it) is the navigation DVD. The left, with what looks like an air vent, is more mysterious.

It contains the DVD-Nav unit and the added amplifiers

You should have it on your car... or is Navi an option on euro spec cars?

Take a pic of your trunk for us.

Oh BTW, anybody know : will this spare fit in the TTTrunk? Shown here in the Carrera 2C trunk.

As long as trunk closes even if tire must be slanted and take up all the room I'd consider that a "fit."

A while back, someone (from Saudi?) had a turbo with DVD and navigation. He told me that the spare does fit in the (front) trunk.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Oh BTW, anybody know : will this spare fit in the TTTrunk? Shown here in the Carrera 2C trunk.

As long as trunk closes even if tire must be slanted and take up all the room I'd consider that a "fit."

When I went to test drive the 997TT in Europe last year, the trunk of these cars looked like this:

As you can see, it had no "nav/amp" enclosure like in US bound cars. Here's another picture where the nav drive was:

I never did get a straight answer on whether this is one of the many differences between US/ROW cars.

It looks like the euro cars got it right. To need another box using trunk space for the nav DVD and electronics is ridiculous. Besides... who needs nav in a sports car?

Quote:
    MMD said:

That photo was taken about 2 years ago (my 997S). I kept the spare tire for my turbo and I can confirm that it does fit but barely! I do not have the CD changer option in my car but I don't beleive it should make a difference because there is plenty of room in the width department. Its the height that just makes it and there is no need to secure it (like I did in my 997S) because its a snug fit and its tilted back so the trunk will close. FYI, I am not going to carry this tire in my trunk because (1) The turbo is heavy enough as is and (2) I have since purchased a "plug" type tire repair kit from Griots Garage that should do the trick. Please be sure to carry a jack and a lug wrench (no they do not come standard with car). Porsches OEM jack is light as a feather and is the best choice because its designed for the cars jack points (4 total). Sorry but I do not have my camera with me so I can't post a picture. I can assure you the spare tire shown in this photo fits in the 997 Turbo coupe and will work for those wanting the option of carrying a spare. Don't plan on putting much else in the trunk because it just about takes up all of the available space:!

oops the photo I am referring to is the one posted by MMD. The photo did not load using the "quote" response.

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    That photo was taken about 2 years ago (my 997S). I kept the spare tire for my turbo and I can confirm that it does fit but barely!

The spare may fit in the trunk, but the large flat will not, so it is a moot point.

Went to take a pic of mine.... Forgot I bought this yesterday after a 10 hour detail with Zymol Glaseur..

If it ever stops raining in this sh1t hole country, I'll take another look.

Quote:
    gradyex said:

That photo was taken about 2 years ago (my 997S). I kept the spare tire for my turbo and I can confirm that it does fit but barely!

Hey Buddy! Thanks for the TT/Spare confirmation. Your photo has been immortalized and a very helpful illustration. I'll send your 80% percent share of the royalties when everybody pays me.

Now I'm thinking of this arrangement. Will have to leave spare outside in the sun for a few months so the rubber can outgas. I guess this arrangement will be the end of the Spectacular Bose sound.

I wonder if we can move our nav DVD's to the ROW location and free up valuable space.

ADias; I need one because this is my touring car.

This pic always makes me laugh, just looks so funny giving the wheel for a ride.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    It contains the DVD-Nav unit and the added amplifiers

Hello eclou,

which "added amplifiers" ... haven't heard of it yet ... Porsche Standard Delieverable???

Greets &

Sin

Quote:
    ADias said:
    It looks like the euro cars got it right. To need another box using trunk space for the nav DVD and electronics is ridiculous. Besides... who needs nav in a sports car?

Nav in a sports car ... ridiculous??? Not if you're living in Germany with all the small towns and thousands of different streetnames I will be lost without it.

Greets &

Sin

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

That photo was taken about 2 years ago (my 997S). I kept the spare tire for my turbo and I can confirm that it does fit but barely! I do not have the CD changer option in my car but I don't beleive it should make a difference because there is plenty of room in the width department. Its the height that just makes it and there is no need to secure it (like I did in my 997S) because its a snug fit and its tilted back so the trunk will close. FYI, I am not going to carry this tire in my trunk because (1) The turbo is heavy enough as is and (2) I have since purchased a "plug" type tire repair kit from Griots Garage that should do the trick. Please be sure to carry a jack and a lug wrench (no they do not come standard with car). Porsches OEM jack is light as a feather and is the best choice because its designed for the cars jack points (4 total). Sorry but I do not have my camera with me so I can't post a picture. I can assure you the spare tire shown in this photo fits in the 997 Turbo coupe and will work for those wanting the option of carrying a spare. Don't plan on putting much else in the trunk because it just about takes up all of the available space:!

OK so what about the brake discs??? For example the all new PCCB got 380 cm diameter and i'm quite sure that the old spare tire will not fit on 997 TT with huger brake discs. So leave it at home ...

Greets &

Sin

I have NAVI and the BOSE but I do not have that box

The US spec cars with the std Bose sound have the "added amp" in that location. I don't think Bose is std for ROW

Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:

Aldo,

European specs cars have little bit different navi modul then USA/Canada ones... Navigation and Bose are standard on 997 Turbo world-wide(except Japan).

Do you have extended Navi modul(code 672)?

I saw GT Silver Turbo today-is your manual or TIP?

Quote:
    Singularity said:

OK so what about the brake discs??? For example the all new PCCB got 380 cm diameter and i'm quite sure that the old spare tire will not fit on 997 TT with huger brake discs. So leave it at home ...

Greets &

Sin

The collapsible spare (for 996 C4S) is 42.0 cm ID. (BTW, I believe PCCBs calipers are MORE than your 380 mm spec).

There's plenty of clearance for the Turbo (red caliper) brakes. I'm not sure but I think it will clear the larger PCCBs by 2 or 3 mm. Anybody know?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:

Aldo,

European specs cars have little bit different navi modul then USA/Canada ones... Navigation and Bose are standard on 997 Turbo world-wide(except Japan).

Do you have extended Navi modul(code 672)?

I saw GT Silver Turbo today-is your manual or TIP?

No, I do not have this modul
    My is manual with ceramic brakes

Sin,
    Maybe the question has been answered fully, but just in case. I have a 997S, and as stated earlier, the trunk hood closes easily with the spare tire standing straight up. I also have a 997 turbo with nav, cd changer, and the ceramic brakes. I took the 997S spare, and with the top of the spare tire tilted back towards the riding compartment and with the base of the spare tire butted up against the front of the trunk compartment, the 997 turbo hood closes (barely). I then secure the spare tire within the trunk compartment with a couple of rolled towels on each side of the spare. The rolled towels can be then unrolled and utilized as a separator between your body (butt) and the ground if you have to remove a tire and replace it with the spare (or your back if you have to look under the car for other reasons). By the way, when one places the spare tire in the 997 turbo, one might place a thin rag (or cloth) between the top of the tire and contact with the top of the trunk compartment to reduce any vibration rubbing during driving. Once the rag separates the tire from the plastic compartment, fold the rag top excess back towards the driving compartment trunk area so that the rag utilizes no vertical space between the tire and trunk lid that could allow the trunk lid to be pressure hinged when closed. I only carry the spare when I am traveling long distances and knowing that cell phone covered could be quite limited. Apologize for the explanation if your question has been fully answered.

Alpine

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    gradyex said:

The spare may fit in the trunk, but the large flat will not, so it is a moot point.

The tire goes in a huge plastic bag and then right behind the passenger seat. I can confirm that a rear tire will fit completely inflated because it was part of my "spare tire test" on my 2005 997S 2 years ago. I have the red steel brakes on my turbo so it should work. I would just carry a good plug kit along with Porsches solution unless your going to drive off to the boonies somewhere. Here is another photo from that test.

Quote:
    Alpine said:
    Sin,
    Maybe the question has been answered fully, but just in case. I have a 997S, and as stated earlier, the trunk hood closes easily with the spare tire standing straight up. I also have a 997 turbo with nav, cd changer, and the ceramic brakes. I took the 997S spare, and with the top of the spare tire tilted back towards the riding compartment and with the base of the spare tire butted up against the front of the trunk compartment, the 997 turbo hood closes (barely). I then secure the spare tire within the trunk compartment with a couple of rolled towels on each side of the spare. The rolled towels can be then unrolled and utilized as a separator between your body (butt) and the ground if you have to remove a tire and replace it with the spare (or your back if you have to look under the car for other reasons). By the way, when one places the spare tire in the 997 turbo, one might place a thin rag (or cloth) between the top of the tire and contact with the top of the trunk compartment to reduce any vibration rubbing during driving. Once the rag separates the tire from the plastic compartment, fold the rag top excess back towards the driving compartment trunk area so that the rag utilizes no vertical space between the tire and trunk lid that could allow the trunk lid to be pressure hinged when closed. I only carry the spare when I am traveling long distances and knowing that cell phone covered could be quite limited. Apologize for the explanation if your question has been fully answered.

Alpine

Hello Alpine,

yes now i think i got the message

As here in Germany we don't need such a spare tire because of the not-so-long distances and a 24x7 Porsche Assistance all-over-Germany availability.

Furthermore due to the added load, i woud prefer to use some sort of "tire-foam" to get the car in case of flattened tire to the next garage and get things done there.

But i know and understand your "local" urban problems

Greets &

Sin

Quote:
    Singularity said:

As here in Germany we don't need such a spare tire because of the not-so-long distances and a 24x7 Porsche Assistance all-over-Germany availability.

Just wondering how available are the _tires_ in Germany?

Here in the US it seems most guys have a two or three day wait (or longer?) to get a replacement shipped in.

THAT alone makes me want the spare.

Here in the UK, OPCs usually keep Michelin PS2s in stock at all times...

BTW Kwik Fit have their offer again: buy all 4 Michelin tyres new and get 25% off!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Singularity said:

Just wondering how available are the _tires_ in Germany?

Here in the US it seems most guys have a two or three day wait (or longer?) to get a replacement shipped in.

THAT alone makes me want the spare.

Hello MMD,

i had a tire blown up on the Autobahn at speed 180km/h.

After calling Porsche Assistance they picked me up in less than an hour and Returning me to the closest Porsche Dealer with the spare tire already in stock.

So all-in-all i only lost 5 hours (overnight express) with a new tire set up.

Asking my local dealer, they always have a certain amount of Pirelli and Michelin spare tires in stock.

Greets &

Sin

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763060 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435686 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260691 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257683 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM