Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Corvette Z06 Vs. Porsche CGT

Hope this is not a repost

http://www.fastdrive.org/1/p/car-videos/car-videos.php?view.1103.0.25

Re: Corvette Z06 Vs. Porsche CGT

Noooooo. Not another Corvette vs Porsche post,

both great cars, but CGT for me! It sounds amazing!

This one makes me realllly laugh, no kidding. The basic hidden assumption for the vette enthusiast is anybody who spends us$450K on a CGT is a fool because they could have "the same" car (or one "just as good") for alot less with a GM product.

Whats next? Corvette vs. million us/dollar Enzo? Funny!

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    but CGT for me! It sounds amazing!

If I may suggest: it's well beyond amazing. It's freeking stunningly and profoundly moving. On the same level as an orgasm. "F1" is probably the best machine sound there is; better than any turbine. WOW!

CGT engine sound and throttle response are otherworldly..

LOL, comparing the Z06 to a 911 is one thing, but comparing it to a CGT seems a bit of a stretch to me!
    Both great cars, love the enigine sound of the CGT.
    -Joost-

heheehee .. very funny ! maby the cgt shif on 4000rpm !.. no compare ..i race c6 z06 with my cgt .. the different between this 2 cars like the different between 997 carrera (not carrera s) and 997 turbo and maby more !

Indeed, the Z06 is an amazing performance car for the price. I have driven it and loved it (although the interior is a bit... uninspiring).

Many people own it in addition to a Pcar or an Fcar...

But there is a certain je ne se quois about a Porsche or a Ferrari that an American/Japanese brute can never obtain.

I couldn't help but laugh my head off after watching this short flick. There is no car on this planet that sounds like a CGT. I had the pleasure to drive besides one (in my truck) in stop and go traffic and at one point he "punched" it and the music coming behind that beauty can be conpared to a jet fighter. Ferrari makes some of the best exhaust notes from their cars but a CGT is very unique and is the closest thing to a pure race car. The sound of a Zo6 pales in comparison. I'm surprised we didn't get the "gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme......" alla Metallica for the Zo6's intro. Lets not go overboard Corvette lovers, you have a great car but comparing it to one of the finest automobiles on this planet is laughable. Give me a break.

what's going on?

please DON'T do that again!

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Noooooo. Not another Corvette vs Porsche post,

Is it my imagination, or is the Z06 using GT3 seats?

Quote:
    Triton said:
    Is it my imagination, or is the Z06 using GT3 seats?

Hmmm, any minute now somebody is going to come along with that "lipstick on a pig" quote again.

Let's face it, neither of those cars win any beauty contests...

The beauty in the CGT is in the engineering and execution..

The beauty in the Z06 is that you can get that much jaw-dropping fun in a $65K wrapper...

Pitting them against one another is a tad silly, but it also illustrates that the Corvette really doesn't HAVE ANYTHING to compare itself against... It kind of sits on its own, lonely in the automotive universe, and the only way you can play the "vs." game is to head well up-market, only to be forced to endure the barbs of "the interior is cheap"...

You just can't catch a break, when you try to make performance affordable...

The corvette is a great performer, but the sound of its' engine in that video was very weak.

I'd rather listen to this at the 2:oo minute mark.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=resu77vBKm0&mode=related&search=

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The beauty in the CGT is in the engineering and execution..

The beauty in the Z06 is that you can get that much jaw-dropping fun in a $65K wrapper...

A pretty good spontaneous assessment.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    You just can't catch a break, when you try to make performance affordable...

You could have saved the Lotus car company a lot of ups-and-downs by convincing Colin Chapman of that about 45 years ago.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    The corvette is a great performer, but the sound of its' engine in that video was very weak.

Probably tells you more about the sound quality of the video camera used than it does about the Corvette's engine sound.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:The beauty in the Z06 is that you can get that much jaw-dropping fun in a $65K wrapper...

Unfortunately, they already raised the base price to $70k for 2007 model year, soon to be raised again in the Fall, most likely...

Anyone who would prefer a Z06 over a CGT has some plumbing issues upstairs.

Its a ok sports car for 70K and dealers deal on them now.
    Its a simple, easy to maintain and serious sports car

But its no way as much fun as a CGT unless you have sawdust between your ears.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Anyone who would prefer a Z06 over a CGT has some plumbing issues upstairs.

Its a ok sports car for 70K and dealers deal on them now.
    Its a simple, easy to maintain and serious sports car

But its no way as much fun as a CGT unless you have sawdust between your ears.

Agreed.

Like comparing the Miata to the Boxster; Boxster is as good as it gets in that class; Miata does pretty well for the price.

Discuss the merits of a Miata you will invariably be talking about it's "good value."

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    .. unless you have sawdust between your ears.

hahaha which most of them have! fcuk corvettes lol

Jeez some of you guys are the biggest whiners. No one really thinks the Z06 compares to the CGT. No one in corvette land does either. Just apppreciate a cool video already.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Jeez some of you guys are the biggest whiners. No one really thinks the Z06 compares to the CGT. No one in corvette land does either. Just apppreciate a cool video already.

Word up...

Yeah, you'd be a dunce to turn down a CGT in favor of a Z06 if you had the free choice....

But of course, nothing in life is free, so you've always gotta check the price tag... Now, if you manage a large hedge fund and a half-mill is pocket-change, you may not understand why anyone would ponder the Z06. Unfortunately, most of us are not so endowed...

Hell, in the U.S., even if you were GIVEN or WON a CGT, the tax bill alone on the gain would be around the price of TWO Z06 Corvettes!!! Think about that for a second!! LOL!!!

In a vacuum where money doesn't exist, yeah, no duh, the cars are not comparable...

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    hahaha which most of them have! fcuk corvettes lol

I nominate this post for the "Rennteam's lamest and most embarrassing post of 2007"... See you at the banquet...

Quote:
    355Spider said:

Wait a minute..., not so fast... they made the video didn't they?

Say there's a CGT on the neighborhood speedway/dragstrip.

From all the guys with "cheap" cars (911 included), which kind of [expletive] is going to go against it?

I mean unless you're sitting in a supercar (Mclaren, Ferrari, Lambo) just pay some respect and stay out of the CGT's breathing space.

It's like a wannabe boxer taking jabs at Mike Tyson.

I don't know what the point is.... On a drag strip, a Carrera GT is totally out of its element. Quite honestly, IT is the "wannabe" when you head onto a 1/4 mile strip. Any host of "cheap" tubbed and 4-linked Camaros and Mustangs will make the thing look absolutely silly..

Not that it takes away from what the CGT is, it's more like, "well that's interesting and fun to watch", and that's that. Yes, the CGT is an amazing car, but on DRAG RACING TURF, how well you handle corners and how exotic you are doesn't really mean anything, it's a very 1-dimensional venue...

Which brings us back to, lighten up, and just enjoy the video for what it is, a great opportunity to see a couple hot cars duel...

At the drag strip, typically, everybody is fairly nice and enjoys seeing an exotic come to play. Yes, there are some that play the class-envy game, which is idiotic.. But most gearheads appreciate what it really is.

But in the end, on that day, ALL THAT MATTERS, is who gets across the stripe first.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:Hell, in the U.S., even if you were GIVEN or WON a CGT, the tax bill alone on the gain would be around the price of TWO Z06 Corvettes!!! Think about that for a second!! LOL!!!

Actually, if you were given a CGT, you would owe no tax. Gift tax is assessed to the giver of the gift, not the receiver.

And when I studied Tax Law in the 90's, there was a $600k lifetime exclusion (now I think $1MM), so if it was the first gift for the Giver, there would be no tax to either party.

Anyone feeling generous today?

I'm fairly certain you still have gained an asset, and it's considered income... Then again, I'm not that schooled on "gifts" of that size, but have alot of experience in gifting within the $12K per-year per-person threshold, in which case the giftee's income is not taxable. But I don't know about what happens over $12K..

I know if you WIN a car, you're on the hook. My dad won a Chevy S10 pickup in a Rotary Club raffle.... The tax bill was over $7,000!!! No different than winning the lottery, you've gotta pay the government...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I'm fairly certain you still have gained an asset, and it's considered income... Then again, I'm not that schooled on "gifts" of that size, but have alot of experience in gifting within the $12K per-year per-person threshold.

I know if you WIN a car, you're on the hook. My dad won a Chevy S10 pickup in a Rotary Club raffle.... The tax bill was over $7,000!!! No different than winning the lottery, you've gotta pay the government...

Yes, winning a car in a raffle or Game Show, etc. is income. Receiving a gift is not...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689484 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409176 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857937 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773986 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM