Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Spanish Grand Prix

What a great lap by Felipe to steal pole from Alonso! I really enjoyed today's qualification - lots of drama!

Kimi seems really under-whelmed by events today in the press conference.

Well done again to Hamilton. He is driving like he has been doing this for years!

My prediction for tomorrow is:

1) Alonso
    2) Massa
    3) Raikkonen
    4) Hamilton .....

Here's hoping tomorrow's race is a great one!

Re: Spanish Grand Prix

It was fun to watch even with more slow corners. I look for hamilton to sneak into the lead on the start.

Coulthard did very well and I was hoping to see speed continue yesterdays good performance, but his car crapped out. I also wanted to see what sato was going to do in the final period.

Good saturday morning with F1.

The Montmelo track is a boring one unfortunately, there is no overtaking. No one in its history have won the GP if they started off the first three places also in somthing like 1 out of 10 or 15, the winner of the GP at Montmelo is the one who startsvat pole.

Alonso needs to overtake Massa at the first corner otherwise he won't have another chance during the race except for pitboxes or if Massa screws up a corner.

Alonso starts from the dirty side of the track so he will have less traction than Massa or Kimi, and Hamilton the same but even further back. I hope Hamilton doesn't get to exited, nervous or overagressive or he can cause some carnage at the first corner, in the last GP he almost did, but thats not like Hamilton, he is very cool and tactical, if anything maybe Massa may be the one to screw up on the first corner knowing the importance of leading through the first corner and as desperate as he is for winning.

I think the first half of the first lap is going to be very exiting, and then the rest of the race is just going to be a boring parade unfortunately

I hope for a good race. One thing that would be nice is if they talk about another driver besides Hamilton

One more piece of data, there will be 140,000 people at the track tomorrow!! already today 100,000 showed up just for qualifying today. There is no other GP with just attendance and the ambient of the crowd.

Can't even imagine how it will be if the make a "street" GP in Valencia next year...

My friend, MASSA, will win. Im sureeeeeeeee about that.
    i'll send some pictures with him driving my 360spider later.
    Thanks and good luck for the 140.000 spanish's.

I think Massa will win as well.

I am just sitting here waiting for Carlos' excuse for Alonso. So in the end it wasn't Hamilton that was "excited" at the first corner, but Carlos' countryman.

Strange race.
    * Kimi is back having bad luck. If he had a funeral parlor people would stop dying.
    * Hamilton keeps impressing and outclassing his -on paper - better teammate.
    * Massa was on fire. Literally. He was rocksteady. Boring, but steady. Well done.
    * Alonso showed some guts in the first corner, but his eagerness was writing checks his talent couldnt cash. He needs to shape up if he wants to avoid getting embarrassed further by his noob teammate.
    * Heidfeld loses a bolt - and his lollypopman loses his job?

Very strange race indeed - seemed like everyone was stressed up or unfocussed - referring to the many odd incidents.

Seems the Old Boys (Kimi and Alonso) may also be old news soon if Hamilton and Massa keep up the good work.

The track didnt exactly call for action. The last 10 years the poleman has won the race. Hello? Perhaps a new track layout is in place?

My suggestion for the next F1 race is...

Qualifying as usual but.....

Before the cars are put into their starting grid positions there will be a coin toss.

Heads - Starting grid position stays as determined by qualifying.

Tails - The starting grid order is reversed from the qualifying results.

maybe they should make a special rule for tracks as boring as this: qualifiyng the usual direction and the race driven in oposite direction!

Quote:
    janus said:
    maybe they should make a special rule for tracks as boring as this: qualifiyng the usual direction and the race driven in oposite direction!

But make them start the race in the usual direction.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I am just sitting here waiting for Carlos' excuse for Alonso. So in the end it wasn't Hamilton that was "excited" at the first corner, but Carlos' countryman.

Alonso had the advantage, he was ahead of Massa into the corner, so it was Massa who pushed him off. Thats the rule of the game, it was Massa's fault, Alosno had won the position into the corner, but it was fair game if Massa wanted to fight it. Alonso had only one chance at winning and that was coming out first out of the first corner, and Massa was in the same boat, he had to risk it, Alonso managed to coming in ahead but not enough to avoid a fight and came out lossing in the light collision. However I didn't see any foul play in Massa part, the touching was fair game IMO, Alonso was ahead but still Massa was in there had had a right to fight it.
    After that, it was pretty much like I said, a parade with no overtaking or change in positions al the way through

Alonso had the aerodinamic reflector ripped off after the accident with Massa, so he had no chance at trying to fight it, and at least managed at least third place.

Hamilton did a good job but he has got to be the luckiest rookie in history. Massa, Kimi, and Alosno have had problems (mechanical, car-setup, or race incident) in at least two races each, but Hamilton has had a 100% car and clean road all four races. If only Kimi had his luck in his first years.

Although I'm not a Massa fan, I'm glad for him, I think he deserved the victory and is proving that Kimi should not be the first pilot in the team. I see Massa as the one to be fighting at the end of the season with Alosno for the championship.

Also Kubica is starting to shine, he is the future Alonso IMO, if he only had a Ferrari or a McLaren

This Hamilton guy is really shining, isn't he ?

yes he is , and imo he is a great driver, always focused and very constant in his performance

Hamilton could be a new star...

Alonso and Raikkonen, I think, are just good drivers (as many others). Massa and Hamilton demonstrate that very clearly, if you ask me

I'd like to see video of the Alonso incident. I think it was silly of him to cry about Massa being "dangerous" or whatever. Man, I can't believe what's happening with Kimi- of all things an electrical problem. I think that's inexcusable on Ferrari's part.

Too bad about Renault having a refueling problem, I bet they could have done much better.

massa came very close to a big incident when his car caught fire after refuelling

Qualifying was better than the race, time to get back to better tracks.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

Alonso had the advantage, he was ahead of Massa into the corner, so it was Massa who pushed him off....
    However I didn't see any foul play in Massa part, the touching was fair game IMO, Alonso was ahead but still Massa was in there had had a right to fight it.
    Quote:

I'm glad you eventually corrected yourself.

Yes, Massa had the inside line and Alonso certainly wasn't far enough ahead to claim it. As you said - fair fight.

I'd like to know why the starting grid places the Pole winner on the "outside" line?? Doesn't this negate most of the advantage in qualifying first?

Kimi's car has a problem with the right front suspension. Something inside snapped making him unable to control the car. Some sources also talked about an electrical problem.

I dunno about the first corner. For once Alonso showed some cojones going for first place - unfortunately microman Massa didn't flinch.
    Would have been nice if Alonso had had the guts to follow thru. Perhaps the race had looked a lot different.
    Too bad F1 is more a publicity stunt than a battle of great drivers.
    I like the fact that the drivers get more and more safe conditions to work in, but I also think F1 seriously needs a Darth Vader-type.
    Someone who can stir things up, break a few rules and bitchslap a competitor on live TV.
    It's all so friggin nice and polished.
    Alonso insinuated during the press conference that Massa was dangerous.
    Instead of beating around the bush like a girlie, he should have given Massa a kick in his tiny midget ass on primetime TV.
    That would have stirred things up a bit

perhaps it is less "dangerous" for Alonso to not overtake

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Would have been nice if Alonso had had the guts to follow thru. Perhaps the race had looked a lot different.

Oh dude, I was already wondering how you'd explain beloved Raikkönen's lack of talent. Now I know - you can't... Before you start asking why I am responding in such a tone, reconsider your past comments!

It just shows me that endless discussions with you haven't helped your wisdom at all!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Oh dude, I was already wondering how you'd explain beloved Raikkönen's lack of talent. Now I know - you can't... Before you start asking why I am responding in such a tone, reconsider your past comments!

It just shows me that endless discussions with you haven't helped your wisdom at all!

Endless discussions with me? Sorry, I can't remember debating F1 with you.
    But my opinions must have made an impact on you. You seem frustrated.

Perhaps you should ask yourself how you manage to confuse lack of talent with mechanical malfunction. Just a thought.

I'm glad you acknowledge my wisdom. I'm also looking forward to inputs from you that will broaden it.

I just watched a replay of the start. IMHO, Alonso had a chance to win out in the first corner, but his move to the outside allowed Massa to squeeze him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsFjppjAvE

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    perhaps it is less "dangerous" for Alonso to not overtake

Yeah, but sadly that goes for most drivers.
    As we all know, Feminando has the infamous Sissydrivus Girliemanus virus, and I fear he may have infested the whole F1 circus!!

Quote:
    911fan said:
    I just watched a replay of the start. IMHO, Alonso had a chance to win out in the first corner, but his move to the outside allowed Massa to squeeze him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsFjppjAvE

From my perspective Alonso is faster coming into the corner, but the path he has to pick (unless ramming Massa) automatically leads into the curb and gravel. Seems like Massa simply holds his line, and the track doesnt allow overtaking at that particular spot. Or any other place for that matter.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    [bAlonso had the advantage, he was ahead of Massa into the corner, so it was Massa who pushed him off. Thats the rule of the game, it was Massa's fault,

Amazing. You must have seen a different race than I did. In the one I saw, it was Massa's corner all the way, he was on the inside and Alonso would have to have to be completely clear of him to "legally" turn in and chop him, and it wasn't even close, he had maybe half a car at most. In motor racing, when you are on the outside, that is simply not enough.

Gary

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Kimi's car has a problem with the right front suspension. Something inside snapped making him unable to control the car. Some sources also talked about an electrical problem.

I dunno about the first corner. For once Alonso showed some cojones going for first place - unfortunately microman Massa didn't flinch.
    Too bad F1 is more a publicity stunt than a battle of great drivers.
    I like the fact that the drivers get more and more safe conditions to work in, but I also think F1 seriously needs a Darth Vader-type.
    Someone who can stir things up, break a few rules and bitchslap a competitor on live TV.
    It's all so friggin nice and polished.
    Alonso insinuated during the press conference that Massa was dangerous.
    Instead of beating around the bush like a girlie, he should have given Massa a kick in his tiny midget ass on primetime TV.
    That would have stirred things up a bit

Too bad they can't combine the best elements of NASCAR and F1.

IMO the first corner was a race incident, Alonso tried his "signature" move on the outside but Massa didn't flinch.
    And way to go Super Aguri and Sato Honda must be very proud

Very interesting comments from James Allen:

Quote:
    For the second race in a row he outperformed his team-mate Alonso and I think Fernando is going to have to dig deep for the next month - I'll explain why.

Next we got to Monaco where Lewis has never lost a race. He won there in F3 and GP2.

Alonso has won there too, but I'm told by Renault people that it was never his strongest track.

Then we go to Montreal where Alonso will have to use the same hard-compound brake discs he so disliked in Bahrain.

McLaren will have to work hard to find him an alternative which gives him the feel he requires.

After that we go to Indianapolis, where he has always struggled and where Fisichella beat him fair and square two years running.

So Lewis could really dent his self-esteem.

Alonso is a fantastic competitor, though, and it may be that he turns around his form - and, let's face it, he's only two points behind Lewis with 13 races to go, so I wouldn't bet against him finishing ahead at the end of the year.

But he did not expect such a stiff challenge on the track and in the garage from his rookie team-mate, and little details like the McLaren mechanics cheering Lewis' lap in qualifying - which made Alonso's wife leave the garage - have added to the pressure he feels.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&PO_ID=39239

I see a storm brewing in the McLaren garage....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436974 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261279 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258126 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82716 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877276 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809471 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM