Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tiptronic how to drive in city

I just tried driving the tiptronic with the gear selector in manual (slapped to the left) and the car in sports mode.

Compared to leaving the gear selector in Auto (D), the turbo lag seems to be reduced by at least half and the throttle is much more responsive.

It makes a significant difference in stop and go city traffic in first gear alone. I'm quite surprised as I often downshift to first gear in Auto mode using the buttons, but physically leaving the selector in M on the left feels quite different.

I'm talking about the throttle response in first gear between idle and 3k rpm.

I can't remember who first mentioned this in another thread. Thanks very much!

Re: Tiptronic how to drive in city

Of course! To enjoy it... tip (on the new turbo or on the Carrera) must be set in manual mode. Leave in auto for lazy driving... but do not complain.

9 months owning the car and this is the first time you tried it? unbelievable. haha

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    9 months owning the car and this is the first time you tried it? unbelievable. haha

Please don't tease you know I drive like a nanny.

actualy, i have not tried this either. will do so today. i surely have driven it with the lever stuck in M mode, however did not really concentrate to notice any difference.....more later.

however, i was blown away by a 07 sl55 when accelerating from standstill and not torque braking. was starting in 1st gear with sport on. gear lever was in auto mode.

i doubt there will be a difference if its in m mode. as said will try today and get back with my impressions.

tried i today.....no difference when accelerating from standstill. Same performance wheter its in Auto or Manual mode, provided you start in 1st gear.

intouch1,

Did you inadvertantly have the parking brake on ? Just kidding.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    intouch1,

Did you inadvertantly have the parking brake on ? Just kidding.

unfortunately i did not. furthermore, i am sure that all tip owners here can confirm that from standstill the car takes a while to get going. whatever mode its in.

if you are driving spirited however, and have it in m mode its a diferent ballgame altogether....

It's so strange how we get all these performance fluctuations. A guy on an Audi forum claims his new, unmoddified 414bhp RS4 "smokes" the new 997 Turbo.

Hmmm... A Pounds100,000 for mediocre performance?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Of course! To enjoy it... tip (on the new turbo or on the Carrera) must be set in manual mode. Leave in auto for lazy driving... but do not complain.

I'm afraid this isn't quite right. Tip in manual mode is very good for city driving because you can "overcome" a certain lag due to the lower speeds and lower rev figures resulting from them if using Tip in auto mode.
    For outside city driving (Autobahn, country roads, etc.), leave the Tip in auto mode.

Bob997TT,

With all due respect, with equal skill drivers, that is not possible. I believe the Audi driver "smoked" the TT driver, BUT how will you ever know whether the TT driver was actually 1. attempting to race, and 2. an equally skilled driver ??? I'm sure a TT driver would smoke a Veyron driver if the latter was not pushing his/her vehicle. Its all relative pal. Now show me the Audi driver smoking the TT driver at a legitimate timed dragstrip and I'll be a believer. Motto - don't believe everything you read and then some. In the short time I've been on a couple of these boards I've arrived at the impression that some board members like to exaggerate - to wit, "If BS were a utility, they'd be General Electric". Just my humble opinion.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

For outside city driving (Autobahn, country roads, etc.), leave the Tip in auto mode.

Went for a very long spirited drive yesterday, along some of the best (small) mountain roads in NY and Massachusetts. Found it best to use Manual mode for inceased control/responsiveness. Auto mode wasn't downshifting early enough before entering corners and shifted-up when easing-up. Drove various sections at 80% of my limit (public roads, afterall). Trying to be smooth, both with the brakes and throttle. Perhaps Auto mode would have eventually adjusted better to my driving style but I quickly switched to Manual as IMO was more enjoyable, providing similar control to a 6-spd..

Perhaps Auto Mode works best at a track, where one is consistently driving hard? Will find out very shortly.

I also manually shift down 1 or 2 gears before accelerating/passing on the highway. Otherwise, you get a "double lag" - transmission downshift and turbo lag (not good!).

IMO, Tip buttons are ergonomically worthless....never used them b/c they were so inconvenient....

599 and CL63 have fast-reacting paddleshifters....and fast, linear, NA tq/throttle response....

Tip is bought from MB....P should have splurged for the paddleshifters as well ....and written better software to overcome the glaring turbo lag, despite VTG .....the biturbo 600/65 motors w/same 5-speed auto tranny as Tip have no apparent turbo lag.....

I find myself using the tiptronic buttons more frequently in the 997 than in the E55.

I like the fact that I can downshift/upshift with either hand.

Compared with the Mercedes ones, the tip is actually BETTER ergonomically, it's not perfect but works better than the AMG ones.

I have 2 AMGs and the tip Turbo, I used the tip buttons far more than I use the AMG ones, it's just much more convenient, as W211 have stated, I can use one hand to do both upshifting and downshifting. The regular Mercedes have dual action buttons but they are ergonomically wrong and I had to stretch my fingers to use them and all of the above have the fatal flaw of buttons turning with the wheel instead of staying put. On my CLS55 I used the shifter on the console if I have to shift, and on the ML63 I just skip manually shifting almost completely.

Imo, the Ferrari paddles are close to perfect, if only they can do BOTH upshift and downshift. They stay in one play no matter where the wheels are turn so you will always knows where they are. BMW paddles is a failure because of that one fact alone, when you turn the wheels the paddles are all over the place and it's a guessing game on whether you got the right shift or not, thank god they have compliment it with an excellent console shifter.

Mercedes V12s have almost double the displacement than the Porsche flat 6, it's naturally going to produce more low end torque than the Porsche 6, turbocharged or not. With that much more displacement the low-end torque alone is going to masked the turbo lag. No gearbox can change that fact.

From experience, the 5-speed in my CLS55 and the 5-speed in my Turbo shifts just about as fast as each other and there really isn't any difference is shift quality either.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Bob997TT,

With all due respect, with equal skill drivers, that is not possible.

Oh, don't worry, I agree, having just come out of a 510bhp RS6 Plus I know that statement is way out!

The fact that it was posted on an Audi forum and everyone agreed that the only thing he was "smoking" was drugs, kind of confirms it.

Still, I am underwhealmed by the lack of initial responsiveness and have certainly used manual mode more often already.

Bob997TT,

I should have my tip in a few weeks. One consistent complaint from daily tip drivers is the lack of slow speed responsiveness. I have spoken to a few Tip owners who said the EVO 610 package can literally change the Tip personality overnight (for about $15K US installed with the goodies). If I'm feeling like I have to power brake my Tip at every stoplight to keep up with the competition I think this inexpensive mod is the way to go (at least for me). I know, generally, in Europe you guys have a need for a higher sustained speed so your tuners purportedly charge an arm and a leg (Ruf, RSI, 9ff, etc.). But, if your like me and just need the burst of speed for a few seconds (certainly less than 60 seconds), maybe an EVO type package will resolve your low end responsiveness problem.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Bob997TT,

I should have my tip in a few weeks. One consistent complaint from daily tip drivers is the lack of slow speed responsiveness. I have spoken to a few Tip owners who said the EVO 610 package can literally change the Tip personality overnight (for about $15K US installed with the goodies). If I'm feeling like I have to power brake my Tip at every stoplight to keep up with the competition I think this inexpensive mod is the way to go (at least for me). I know, generally, in Europe you guys have a need for a higher sustained speed so your tuners purportedly charge an arm and a leg (Ruf, RSI, 9ff, etc.). But, if your like me and just need the burst of speed for a few seconds (certainly less than 60 seconds), maybe an EVO type package will resolve your low end responsiveness problem.

If you're going to only be driving the car in US conditions, any Euro package is expensive overkill.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    IMO, Tip buttons are ergonomically worthless....never used them b/c they were so inconvenient....

Depends on how you drive, i.e., where your hands lay on the steering wheel. If you drive correctly, the Porsche buttons lay right under your thumbs. If you need to shift in a turn (and often you do) fixed paddles are far from your hands.

Quote:
    Tip is bought from MB....P should have splurged for the paddleshifters as well ....and written better software to overcome the glaring turbo lag, despite VTG .....the biturbo 600/65 motors w/same 5-speed auto tranny as Tip have no apparent turbo lag.....

I rearely notice a lag when I drive a Turbo. Different styles of driving, I guess. It takes seating time in these cars to learn how they tick. You often claim that you trade cars every 6 months... not enough time to learn a vehicle IMO.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Compared with the Mercedes ones, the tip is actually BETTER ergonomically, it's not perfect but works better than the AMG ones.

I have 2 AMGs and the tip Turbo, I used the tip buttons far more than I use the AMG ones, it's just much more convenient, as W211 have stated, I can use one hand to do both upshifting and downshifting. The regular Mercedes have dual action buttons but they are ergonomically wrong and I had to stretch my fingers to use them and all of the above have the fatal flaw of buttons turning with the wheel instead of staying put. On my CLS55 I used the shifter on the console if I have to shift, and on the ML63 I just skip manually shifting almost completely.

Imo, the Ferrari paddles are close to perfect, if only they can do BOTH upshift and downshift. They stay in one play no matter where the wheels are turn so you will always knows where they are. BMW paddles is a failure because of that one fact alone, when you turn the wheels the paddles are all over the place and it's a guessing game on whether you got the right shift or not, thank god they have compliment it with an excellent console shifter.

Mercedes V12s have almost double the displacement than the Porsche flat 6, it's naturally going to produce more low end torque than the Porsche 6, turbocharged or not. With that much more displacement the low-end torque alone is going to masked the turbo lag. No gearbox can change that fact.

From experience, the 5-speed in my CLS55 and the 5-speed in my Turbo shifts just about as fast as each other and there really isn't any difference is shift quality either.

Well said!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM