Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Valencia street track joins F1 calendar

Should be interesting to see F1 back on a "proper" street circuit. Monaco is more of bicycle-lane race
    I think Valencia will be included in my vacation plans for next year.

Quote:
    The European Grand Prix will be held on a new street circuit in the Spanish city of Valencia from 2008.

The seven year deal was announced in Valencia today, and means that Spain will henceforth have two grands prix as Barcelona has a contract to host the Spanish GP until 2011.

Formula 1 is currently extremely popular in Spain due to Fernando Alonso's world championship success, with a huge crowd expected for this weekend's Catalunya race.

Although Valencia has a permanent racetrack on the outskirts of the city - which is regularly used for F1 testing - the European GP will be held on a street track around the harbourside.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39165

Re: Valencia street track joins F1 calendar

I am not sure this is a good development in the long run.

There are currently 17 races in the 2007 calendar. Switching the venue of the European GP from the Nurburgring (which was effectively a second German GP after Hockenheim) to Valencia doesn't make sense to me. The reason for (1) moving away from the Nurburgring and for (2) the pressure to take away the San Marino GP (which has been put on hold following pressure from Ferrari - and which was effectively a second Italian GP after Monza) was to free up space in the F1 calendar for other countries to have a GP race. Why then give a second race to a country that already has one GP race?

In the long run, and taking a bigger picture perspective, IMHO I would have preferred the European Grand Prix to be held in a European country that does not currently host a GP race (e.g. Portugal, the Netherlands, Austria, Greece, Cyprus or any of the Scandinavian/Nordic countries) and for any further race 'slots' in the calendar to be granted to countries OUTSIDE Europe. I believe F1 could have up to a maximum of about 22 or 23 races per year. Clearly, hosting races in countries outside Europe would enable F1 to hold races in countries where the climate/seasons are more favourable when Europe is still too cold/wet.

I hope one day we will see GP races held in some of the following countries: Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Russia, UAE, India, Qatar, South Africa. If memory serves me correctly, Argentina and South Africa (Kyalami?) have hosted GP races in the past historically. Why not again?

F1 needs to go more global. But, I guess it all comes down to how much money any prospective venue is prepared to pay to Bernie Ecclestone

I would love to see more city tracks be introduced, races would be such greater spectacles then.
    Imagine a race in NY... damn!

I agree with you Easy Rider. In spite I was born there and my family comes from there, I think other countries should have the chance, and I deslike to see Monte Carlo GP out of the calendar. Besides the clear disatvantages of it, it has a carisma difficult to surpass.

In any case, this GP is not so clear. Mr. Ecclestone put a condition to support the idea: that the "Partido Popular" candidate wins the next elections in Valencia (and in my opinion has a lot of chances).

There is already a large political debate. In any case, think that in Valencia very powerful interests are moving (loads of money), and the past prime minister of Spain (Partido Popular) had recently a meeting with Mr. Bernie.

In any case, the sorroundings of this possible urban city are really remarkable because the fantastic modern architecture. It could be very spectacular to see F1 arround there

We will see...

I really like the idea! City tracks are really cool- I just hope there are some good over-taking zones. Maybe one day there can be a street race in Las Vegas.

The simple fact is that Bernie goes where the money is - end of story.

A few years ago Asia looked very interesting since tobacco advertising was still allowed, but it looks like that has cooled down a bit.

Right now there's "Alonso fever" in Spain and presumably a lot of money in it too.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing a proper street race on the calender and I'm thinking of going to Valencia next year.

True temm, of course, I agree with you. Bernie always chases the big bucks BUT (1) hasn't he made bucket loads already? and (2) 65% of the company that owns the commercial rights to F1 is owned jointly by a small consortium of investment banks/private equity. I also hear that Bernie may be selling off the rest of those rights.

I just think he takes too short termist a view. I still think he should be allocating new calendar slots to races outside Europe in emerging market countries like Mexico, India, Russia etc.

Plus, he has hardly supported efforts to revamp Silverstone (for instance) or Spa.

He just cares about putting on a show to make money. Effectively, he is a circus impressario. I don't think he really loves racing. Seems to me that the cars are merely incidental for him. It's the spectacle (and the money he can earn from it) that truly matters to him.

I can't stop laughing every time I see him in the paddock or on the grid with some hopelessly incongruous bimbo young enough to be his granddaughter by his side. I used to think no one dared tell him how stupid that makes him look but then I realised that he obviously knows people are laughing at him but he just doesn't care about what they might think.

The icing on the cake was when his daughter was once on the grid standing next to his current girlfriend who looked younger than his daughter. What a joke!

F1 is a private owned COMPANY so I'm not surprised, he will "invest" were he think he will get better return.

However there is quite a controversy here because the day after the announcement, Bernie declared that this will only happen is the conservative party wins the election in Valencia (most likely), because he want to work with them. The lefties are on an uproar but its logicla, investments are highly influenced by which gobvenrment party is governing. The conservative party have done an amazing job with Velencia overshadowing Barcelona now, currently the wolrd sailing Cup is being held in Valencia no less, leaving millions $ in the city.

Let's face it, most fans will never see an F1 race in person even if it is in their country. It is a TV sport. What is best for the fan is an exciting track. That means fast, some overtaking spots, and generally visually appealing- monaco, monza.

For the sport as a business it may be best to spread out geographically to bring in the big sponsors but I think F1 has plenty of cash now.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I am not sure this is a good development in the long run.

There are currently 17 races in the 2007 calendar. Switching the venue of the European GP from the Nurburgring (which was effectively a second German GP after Hockenheim) to Valencia doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
    racerx says:
    It does to me, the nurburgring is a hopelessly dull track.

The reason for (1) moving away from the Nurburgring and for (2) the pressure to take away the San Marino GP (which has been put on hold following pressure from Ferrari - and which was effectively a second Italian GP after Monza) was to free up space in the F1 calendar for other countries to have a GP race. Why then give a second race to a country that already has one GP race?

Quote:
    racerx says:
    Races should go to the best venues with country location as the least weighted factor. Monza and San Marino are 2 of the best tracks.

In the long run, and taking a bigger picture perspective, IMHO I would have preferred the European Grand Prix to be held in a European country that does not currently host a GP race (e.g. Portugal, the Netherlands, Austria, Greece, Cyprus or any of the Scandinavian/Nordic countries) and for any further race 'slots' in the calendar to be granted to countries OUTSIDE Europe.

Quote:
    racerx says:
    Zandvoort and the Osterreichring were nice tracks.

I believe F1 could have up to a maximum of about 22 or 23 races per year. Clearly, hosting races in countries outside Europe would enable F1 to hold races in countries where the climate/seasons are more favourable when Europe is still too cold/wet.

I hope one day we will see GP races held in some of the following countries: Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Russia, UAE, India, Qatar, South Africa. If memory serves me correctly, Argentina and South Africa (Kyalami?) have hosted GP races in the past historically. Why not again?

Quote:
    racerx says:
    Also mexico hosted races in the late 80's, i believe berger won driving a bennetton, it was a fast track.

F1 needs to go more global. But, I guess it all comes down to how much money any prospective venue is prepared to pay to Bernie Ecclestone

Quote:
    janus said:
    I would love to see more city tracks be introduced, races would be such greater spectacles then.
    Imagine a race in NY... damn!

Yes, its all about being visually appealling, the closeness of the buildings makes the sound and speed that much more impressive. But the course has to be good, Detroit was an example of a bad city course. Australia is a good city course.

Its all about the tracks, the layout and the appearance. The good ones should stay, the bad ones replaced and the total should be about 20.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409692 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255933 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235179 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858355 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774612 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM