Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari owner's view of GT2

Thanks Ron for the link.

Really an interesting post. There are some impartial and objective guys arround! (Me to add: I also like Ferraris, despite, under my point of view, too "look seeking").

I found particulary revealing the following sentence:

"....the only way to UPgrade from an 8, 10 or 12 cylinder engine is to buy a Porsche"

The author of the text is really descriptive with his words!

that's good, especially:

"The full-blown racing seat with real-life racing harness was tighter than my former boss on pay day..."

Nice article, but its again all about - looks cool, feelsgreat and accelerates fast. Doesnt matter if the guy talks about ferrari or Boxter, but that how most ferrari owners love to talk about (from what I see in different forums).

hello? What about driving? :-)

Quote:
    Byron said:
    Thanks Ron for the link.

Really an interesting post. There are some impartial and objective guys arround! (Me to add: I also like Ferraris, despite, under my point of view, too "look seeking").

"....the only way to UPgrade from an 8, 10 or 12 cylinder engine is to buy a Porsche"

Do not lose site of the fact that the GT2 is basically Porsches' track car Its performance limits are well beyond 99% of the drivers in this world.

I read a statistic not to look ago indicating that 25% of the GT2's sold have been involved in serious accidents. It is no wonder that the car has been a marketing failure.

Quote:
    lev said:
    hello? What about driving? :-)

Quote:
    nberry said: It is no wonder that the car has been a marketing failure.

I keep thinking we live on a different planet from each other... record braking 7:46 ring time (for a non supercar), Ferrari/Lambo killer, ultimate performing Porsche 911 of all time, hardcore sportcar image for Porsche (specially after the Cayenne), etc... the GT2 has done wonders for Porsche's image and has actually been more of a marketing model than a money making model.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Do not lose site of the fact that the GT2 is basically Porsches' track car. Its performance limits are well beyond 99% of the drivers in this world.

Nick,

Since Porsche will not have been aiming for anything like a 1% share of the entire world market with the GT2, that would not be such an unreasonable concept. Would you like to invent another statistic while you are about it, representing the percentage of Ferrari drivers whose cars' performance limits are well beyond their own?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I read a statistic not to look ago indicating that 25% of the GT2's sold have been involved in serious accidents.

Do you know the source of this statistic, by any chance? I would be interested in reading that article.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    I keep thinking we live on a different planet from each other...

Carlos,

Nick lives in Southern California, you live on Earth!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Would you like to invent another statistic while you are about it, representing the percentage of Ferrari drivers whose cars' performance limits are well beyond their own?

99%

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Would you like to invent another statistic while you are about it, representing the percentage of Ferrari drivers whose cars' performance limits are well beyond their own?

99%

Probably a good starting point!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said: It is no wonder that the car has been a marketing failure.

I keep thinking we live on a different planet from each other... record braking 7:46 ring time (for a non supercar), Ferrari/Lambo killer, ultimate performing Porsche 911 of all time, hardcore sportcar image for Porsche (specially after the Cayenne), etc... the GT2 has done wonders for Porsche's image and has actually been more of a marketing model than a money making model.

Carlos,

i do believe he's re-entering Earth from Pluto... I live in S CA, and as everyone knows here consider the GT2 the best 911 ever made and the best performance deal today at current prices. the car just ROXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

altho' i now see new Gallardo's crashing to well under window and they may become as reletively cheap as a GT2 vs. window, but from what i hear and read, they dont perform as well and have "italian" reliability under stress.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I read a statistic not to look ago indicating that 25% of the GT2's sold have been involved in serious accidents. It is no wonder that the car has been a marketing failure.

And, where can one find a statistic of all the Ferrari's that get involved is serious accidents? How much you want to bet that there is a much bigger percentage of them getting wrecked? Does that make them worse cars? No. It just means that there are quite a few more morons driving the wrong cars. They can't even keep them in line driving them 5/10th. I wonder if you fit in that category or maybe you just barely drive yours 3/10th?

Quote:
    Radar said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

And, where can one find a statistic of all the Ferrari's that get involved is serious accidents? How much you want to bet that there is a much bigger percentage of them getting wrecked? Does that make them worse cars? No. It just means that there are quite a few more morons driving the wrong cars. They can't even keep them in line driving them 5/10th. I wonder if you fit in that category or maybe you just barely drive yours 3/10th?

Thanks for making my point. The GT2 is an outstanding performance vehicle but requires a driver with tremendous driving ability. I will wager 95% of the buyers of the gt2 are not qualified to drive the car. It does not allow any room for error. Thus, many (25%) have been involved in a serious accident. The number came from a newspaper article which I am trying to track down.

Regarding my driving ability, it is certainly above average but I do not have an inflated opinion of my skills like so many wannabee's do on these car chat sites.

Quote:
    fritz said:

Do you know the source of this statistic, by any chance? I would be interested in reading that article.

As Peter SAUBER said:
    "It is the head and not the foot that is instrumental in any one driver's achievement. Few consider that..." It is plain logic that in a GT2 you need even more 'head' than in a standard 911 equiped with PSM etc...

Ron,

The person who wrote that post does not own a Ferrari, Porsche or any other exotic.

Greg A

The GT2 doesn't have the hipness of a Lambo or Ferrrari - that's why not too many people spend almost 200k bucks on a rather familiar Porsche chassis and sacrifice comfort over a TT or X50!

A lot of people who are willing to pay for such a car will try to learn how to handle it!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Byron said:
    Thanks Ron for the link.

The same was true of the 930s of the 70s. It's good that Porsche still makes real cars. It's bad that drivers still don't respect them.

Do not lose site of the fact that the GT2 is basically Porsches' track car Its performance limits are well beyond 99% of the drivers in this world.

The same was true of the 930s in earlier years. It's good that Porsche still makes real cars. It's bad that drivers still don't respect them.

gentleman, hes NOT a ferrari owner;) just a ferrari wanter, but is points are well taken, the GT2 is a beast, and for the price, one of the few cars (especially if used) that can trounce or potentially trounce a Ford GT

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Interesting read from a Ferrari owner about Porsche GT2

now that i know alot of the guys on fchat -- the funniest thing about this thread is the author you quote NNO doesnt own, nor has ever owned a Ferrari. just a hanger on on F chat. now bill hart, whom he mentions is a great guy now with a gt2 after years of F's

Quote:
    watt said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Interesting read from a Ferrari owner about Porsche GT2

now that i know alot of the guys on fchat -- the funniest thing about this thread is the author you quote NNO doesnt own, nor has ever owned a Ferrari. just a hanger on on F chat. now bill hart, whom he mentions is a great guy now with a gt2 after years of F's

To be fair to the guy, I don't think that he himself implied anywhere in the article that he owned, or had ever owned, a Ferrari.

Well how about this: I am a Ferrari owner seriously considering a 996TT. I live at altitude and having a Turbo is a serious plus. I have been looking at lots of different cars but the 996TT is very attractive to someone in my situation. It's fast, it's a daily driver, it has 4 seats, and it doesn't attract attention. That's pretty sweet.

Quote:
    sherpa23 said:
    Well how about this: I am a Ferrari owner seriously considering a 996TT. I live at altitude and having a Turbo is a serious plus. I have been looking at lots of different cars but the 996TT is very attractive to someone in my situation. It's fast, it's a daily driver, it has 4 seats, and it doesn't attract attention. That's pretty sweet.

You named every reason I bought it. I'm considering moving to Colorado too, and the turbo would stick w/ me for that reason.

i compared these 2 today at buttonwillow -- my old arctic GT3 now owned by Jack and Fred... and the CS.

CS wins.... but whether it's worth 100 more than a gt3 depends on your value of $$$...

Quote:
    watt said:
    i compared these 2 today at buttonwillow -- my old arctic GT3 now owned by Jack and Fred... and the CS.

CS wins.... but whether it's worth 100 more than a gt3 depends on your value of $$$...

Watt, curious what factors made you give nod to CS over GT3 (let's eliminate price differences for this discussion)? Was this GT3 MkII? Was comparo even close in your mind?

And in addition to what VKSF asked, did you try a GT3RS?

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    watt said:

Watt, curious what factors made you give nod to CS over GT3 (let's eliminate price differences for this discussion)?
    Was this GT3 MkII? Was comparo even close in your mind?

we're Not allowed to have GT3RS in USA... but we can have CS.

The GT3 is really hampered by its tall gearing -- making it slow at 0-140. the interior is Sh.t -- if you consider it objectively. grip & handling excellent. regeared and stripped of 300#, it would be fabulous. but only the CS delivers 2820# from the factory -- Porsche does not.

driving them back to back stock, it's no contest. here's some comments i just threw up on Fchat:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25282

Quote:
    watt said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    watt said:

Watt, curious what factors made you give nod to CS over GT3 (let's eliminate price differences for this discussion)?

The GT3 is really hampered by its tall gearing -- making it slow at 0-140. the interior is Sh.t -- if you consider it objectively. grip & handling excellent. regeared and stripped of 300#, it would be fabulous. but only the CS delivers 2820# from the factory -- Porsche does not.

driving them back to back stock, it's no contest. here's some comments i just threw up on Fchat:

Watt - have you had your CS on scales in road trim? I have heard that they do not weigh as little as Ferrari lists (really well over 3,000 lbs in road trim, i.e. fuel, all liquids, etc.).

Also, the GT3 can be re-geared fairly easily (lots of ratios available and relatively quick to do).

I agree about the interior!

Quote:
    watt said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    watt said:

Haven't had chance to really drive GT2/GT3 hard, but have CS being built this month.....I keep hearing impressive comparo comments like yours from various P vet owners....have high expectations for CS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802665 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448385 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265927 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89930 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6406 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885354 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832194 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM