Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

TPMS paid for itself today

Just wanted to share with you guys what happened today. This weekend I had been driving hard with the 997S around some mountain roads, got back, parked the car, and this morning when I went to pick up the car after a couple of mins just barely out of the block I get the message of "flat tire" from the Tire Pressure Monitoring System and a 0.7bar reading. I couldn't believe it, I didn't feel anything!, I get out of the car and look at the tire (rear left) and looks OK! I gran a pressure gauge I had in the glove box, and sure enough 0,7bar. Back to the garage and parked the car and took another one.

Moral of the story:

1* With 19" wheel and such low profile, combined with sporty Michelin PS2 tires that have a stiff carcase, you don't easily notice a flat tire as easily as we used to (I have had flats before). Not even visually, its amazing. So Tire pressure monitoring is a must to be able to tell of a drop in pressure.

2* I was going to make a 200miles round trip today with the car on highway at 160-180km/h cruinsing speeds... don't know how that would have endend. Definately one extra that paid for itself 10 fold today.

My two cents for those that are spec'ing their 911.

Re: TPMS paid for itself today

interesting , when flat or headed that way they appear more like run-flats..however i bet they dont behave that way

Specced TPMS on my Boxster and it's worth every cent. Something very reassuring when you are pressing on to constantly see the tyre pressure read out. As Carlos says, it's an invaluable safety gadget.

Strangely my OPC seemed surprised when I said I wanted it.

Glad to hear that TPMS saved the day. I also find that looking at the tire pressure readouts as opposed to "Distance to empty" message, etc. more useful, and a BIG safety feature.

same here 1st997 ,I keep tpms displayed while driving.with no spare and low profile tires its as important as rpm and fuel !!!

Argh! Carlos, you cursed me!

I picked up a flat this morning. TPMS would have been very useful, but unfortunately my car is too old!

I hit some debris on the fast lane of a 2-lane stretch. Something must have holed the tyre and dropped out again, as the tyre flattened very quickly. I was overtaking, 80mph+ at the time. The car was a little wobbly, and there was this griding noise over undulations, like the rim was hitting the road, but I can't see any damage. That was the only clue though - the car was very stable, and the tyre remained seated. If it hadn't been for the noise, I might have carried on a bit more. When I did stop, it was very clear from looking at the tyre that it was flat. I have Michelins on 18"s. I have had the hole plugged by Porsche Assistance (outsourced to RAC Premium service in the UK, who were very good), and will nurse it to the weekend, as dealer tyre price wasn't competitive. (I need both rears replaced.) - Pounds120 difference.

Next car will get specced with TPMS - This is my 2nd puncture in 2 years (the first being a slow one).

wtsnet, glad to hear nothing bad happened! today's flats are not like they used to, fortunately.

In my case it was a slow-leak flat since the pressure stayed OK during the day the flat happened (TMPMS would of warned me of any slight drop while driving) and slowly emptied over the rest of the weekend while sitting in the garage.

The same thing happened for me several months ago! TPMS,--invaluable for such low-profile tires. I don't know how you can function without it today (especially with 30 series tires).

Dan

Thanks for the empirical evidence C. I'm glad you didn't suffer any wheel damage.

All I heard was _speculation_ that you could probably feel a flat/low pressure with 19s before damage would be done (i.e. TPMS wasn't "needed").

I seem to remember 997 cars were suppossed to come with TPMS at introduction but it was delayed. Sounds like Porsche "knew" how essential TPMS would be.

Isn't TPMS a recent USA regulation requirement for new cars?
    Or am I confused!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Isn't TPMS a recent USA regulation requirement for new cars?
    Or am I confused!

Yes.

Re: TPMS paid for itself today *DELETED*

Post deleted by edz61

UPDATE: just went to the garage and now the tire is completely flat, now its finally visible that its flat. It took 3 days! Thanks to the TMPS, as soon as there is even a fractional loss of pressure you will instantly know already.

Tomorrow I'm taking to to the dealer to get it fixed.

I agree wholeheartedly with you as to it's worth.

I ordered it when it was an option and not mandatory in the U.S. (it is mandatory as of last Oct. 1). It has given me a lot of peace of mind, especially after I have inadvertently hit something on the road. I usually set my computer to the TPMS reading to watch tire pressures as I drive. It cost me $590 and is worth every cent.

Jim

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I am jealous. I picked up my 2006 997 S at an end of year "deal" which I am okay with, but it doesn't have TPMS. In addition, I am not very observant - so now I will be more diligent. I got many great options, but that is the one I wanted that I don't have.

Cheers,

Kenny S

Quote:
    kennys001 said:
    I got many great options, but that is the one I wanted that I don't have.

Cheers,

Kenny S

Trouble is with so many options to choose from I don't reckon there are many Porsche owners out there that with hindsight wouldn't have changed something - me for one!

Photo of the culprit

UPDATE: phot I took with my phnoe at the dealer's shop when I left the car to get fixed. The srew went completely through, luckily it also plugged the leak itself at it, and the leakage of air was very gradual.

I reckon if I hadn't noticed the leak, with use the head of the screw would have worn off or torn and the leak would suddenly become faster as I drove

Re: Photo of the culprit

I can't believe I read this thread yesterday, then when we got in the car to go for ice cream after dinner, the dash flashed FLAT TIRE! Seems like the r/r tire was at 30 lbs; I went to the service station and filled it up. This morning it seems fine; perhaps just a (very) slow leak (I hope).

TPMS also means that you don't need a separate tire pressure guage - I just ran back and forth from the dash to the tire while filling.

Anyone know what the threshhold is before it will complain about low pressure?

I think I'm a jinx thats two more flats since I posted this thread!

Scotty, I would give the tire a good visual check because that is not normal. Mine took 3 days to empty fully so the leak can be very small, but look at the screw in the tire.
    So check tonigh what the pressure is and if there is any drop compared to the opposite tire.

Glad TPMS came to the rescue. I made sure I got TPMS too. I haven't had a flat yet though - touch wood - don't want to jinx my car or tempt fate in any way...

BTW, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe TPMS became standard spec in the USA from MY2007 onwards (i.e. Aug 2006 build).

I think TPMS should be standard everywhere on such an expensive car which has such low profile tyres and no spare tyre!

We pay more for Porsches in Europe AND have to pay for TPMS. Our American friends pay less for the car AND get TPMS, cruise control and a sunroof as standard!

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    I can't believe I read this thread yesterday, then when we got in the car to go for ice cream after dinner, the dash flashed FLAT TIRE! Seems like the r/r tire was at 30 lbs; I went to the service station and filled it up. This morning it seems fine; perhaps just a (very) slow leak (I hope).

TPMS also means that you don't need a separate tire pressure guage - I just ran back and forth from the dash to the tire while filling.

Wow. Now there's just one more of us who will get the dreaded tire flat! (bad things come in threes).

Problem with TPMS (I believe) is more often than not the guage is has an incorrect reading and needs to be calibrated; your guage on dash may not be accurate. Mine has always been several pounds off; didn't calibrate it yet.

Here's the link; check out and download detailed technical essays (inc. how to calibrate):

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/tss.php

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

BTW, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe TPMS became standard spec in the USA from MY2007 onwards (i.e. Aug 2006 build).

FWIW, TPMS became available for the first time as an _option_ on 2006 cars for about us$700 (600?) on my car which was one of the first 2006 units (aug 2005 build).

Carlos: looking at the photo you posted, that screw is on the outer 1.5" and you need to replace the tire, and given the tread wear, you may need to replace the other tire too.

I asked them about it and they said it was perfectly fine, and there should be no problem with the way they fixed it. (BTW free of charge me and even handed the car back to me washed )

Also there is plenty of threadwear still, they only have a few thousand miles, its just that the PS2 due to their sportiveness have shallower grooves at the lateral shoulder than other tires and may appear worn.

I will be going down the A3 tomorrow so that should put them to the test

Carlos: be careful on the A3. If I were you I would buy another tire. The puncture is too close to the shoulder. In the US any Porsche dealer would refuse patching that puncture. I know it's hard to accept throwing out what looks like a very good condition tire, but the tire is our contact with the road.

Two days later it looks like I'm down about 2 lbs. I'll have to bring it in Saturday morning to see if they can find a slow leak.

Quote:
    Scotty A said:

TPMS will say 'add air' after losing 0.3 bar.

It will say 'flat tire' after losing 0.6 bar.

Also, TPMS takes temperature into account, so it compensates for cold tires. Very smart indeed, and one of the best Porsche options, ever!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Carlos: be careful on the A3. If I were you I would buy another tire. The puncture is too close to the shoulder. In the US any Porsche dealer would refuse patching that puncture. I know it's hard to accept throwing out what looks like a very good condition tire, but the tire is our contact with the road.

After a couple of hundred miles , tire seems perfectly fine, no change whatsoever, not even a flatspot from sitting underinflated... amazing carcas the PS2 has.

In the US they also put stickers under the sun visors, engravings on the side mirrors, and can get sued if the coffee is too hot The head mechanic here and everybody I asked said that there is not problem to fix such a clean puncture through the high part of the thread of a low profile sport modern tire so I will trust them more than the US dealers

I will maybe do a few laps on the track it next month that I have a PDE so that should put things to the text

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    ...and can get sued if the coffee is too hot ...

McDonalds deserved to be sued for what they did. At first I laughed at the lawsuit also, but when the details came out, McDonalds should have been sued for even more money.

Glad you're ok Carlos.

If I'm not mistaking by 2008 all cars should have tire pressure monitor based on U.S. Department of Transportation mandate.

So, like the airbag it becomes a must for the U.S. car owners.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689577 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409236 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234993 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857982 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774041 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM