Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F1 clutch slip ?

On the F1 gear system, is it normal to experience some clutch slip if I floor it from a standing start or has the previous owner done a few too many launch controls?

Re: F1 clutch slip ?

i get the same thing, especially when the car is cold. i had a clutch wear report carried outr before i took delivery of the car and only had 6% wear so am relatively confidant that the clutch is ok.

I haven't gotten it before, perhaps you should have it checked out while the car is till under warranty.

I think clutch is not under warranty but its worth a try since I've just bought it.

the clutch and brake pads are two things that are always kept out of the warranty...unless, the dealer decides to cover the expenses themselves as a "gift" just to make you a customer...

I usually start off rather slowly but I would think your experiencing excessive clutch wear.

My Ferrari dealer told me that a clutch can be damaged quite easily, even within 5,000 miles with fairly "normal" use ^ normal use meaning city driving, a few fast pull away etc. Apparently, driving uphill or parking manouvers that require a lot of gear changing are not good for F1 type clutches. In fact, I was told that I should NOT buy a F1 car for my home because of the parking! Get it checked out asap. Since you have not had it for long you should get it covered in warranty - have you done many miles since you got it? Another thing, I once did when a dealer said "your car is fine sir", I went to another dealer in a different car and specifically, tried out a car with similar mileage to mine and felt how the clutch was!

The oldest trick in the book is to take it to a dealer with the pretense of buying a car that they have, they will check your car over thoroughly enough! Might even spot an issue you haven't - I know a lot of used cars salesman

Clutch , clutch , clutch . Always our nightmare!!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    My Ferrari dealer told me that a clutch can be damaged quite easily, even within 5,000 miles with fairly "normal" use ^ normal use meaning city driving, a few fast pull away etc. Apparently, driving uphill or parking manouvers that require a lot of gear changing are not good for F1 type clutches. In fact, I was told that I should NOT buy a F1 car for my home because of the parking! Get it checked out asap. Since you have not had it for long you should get it covered in warranty - have you done many miles since you got it? Another thing, I once did when a dealer said "your car is fine sir", I went to another dealer in a different car and specifically, tried out a car with similar mileage to mine and felt how the clutch was!

My driveway sounds exactly like what I shouldn't be doing with my clutch

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    I think clutch is not under warranty but its worth a try since I've just bought it.

Precisely!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

And my dealer told me that they don't have any issues with the clutch of the F430 at all. Not even at their Challenge cars. He said the clutch of a F430 should last for AT LEAST 30.000 km.

My friend killed his clutch on F430F1 after only 12000km's... Only ONE LC start... BUT, lot of uphill starts(his house is in uphill street)... Dealer was not very happy...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    My friend killed his clutch on F430F1 after only 12000km's... Only ONE LC start... BUT, lot of uphill starts(his house is in uphill street)... Dealer was not very happy...

Only once

thats expensive start

Kreso , yeah that uphill starts when on traffic lights is a nightmare you can smell the pure clutch lol..

Also high traffic makes the clutch life end.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    My Ferrari dealer told me that a clutch can be damaged quite easily, even within 5,000 miles with fairly "normal" use normal use meaning city driving, a few fast pull away etc. Apparently, driving uphill or parking manouvers that require a lot of gear changing are not good for F1 type clutches. In fact, I was told that I should NOT buy a F1 car for my home because of the parking! Get it checked out asap. Since you have not had it for long you should get it covered in warranty - have you done many miles since you got it? Another thing, I once did when a dealer said "your car is fine sir", I went to another dealer in a different car and specifically, tried out a car with similar mileage to mine and felt how the clutch was!

And my dealer told me that they don't have any issues with the clutch of the F430 at all. Not even at their Challenge cars. He said the clutch of a F430 should last for AT LEAST 30.000 km.

I am sure the F430 is a lot better, as far as I know here in Japan they have only had a few problems - my dealer is actually a personal friend. We will see how close he is when he gets me a F430 ahead of the 24 - 28 month waiting list!

No seriously, uphill starts can be tough on any car, going in reverse uphill or into a drive are even worse.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

Have a colleague who commutes almost daily in his 599 through SF's steep hills....gets a new F every 6 mos (just got his second 599)....he has observed that F clutch life has indeed improved greatly in past 2 yrs (and he's been commuting via new F's in SF for past 7yrs+)....

Apparently, based upon complaints re: poor clutch life from SF F owners (perhaps world's steepest hills for a major mkt where F's are often used for commuting), F sent test drivers/engineers to SF a few yrs back to drive F's through SF's steepest hills during AM/PM rush hrs to figure out how to improve clutch life....seems like they did great work on engineering more robust, urban/hill-compatible clutches

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Apparently, based upon complaints re: poor clutch life from SF F owners (perhaps world's steepest hills for a major mkt where F's are often used for commuting), F sent test drivers/engineers to SF a few yrs back to drive F's through SF's steepest hills during AM/PM rush hrs to figure out how to improve clutch life....seems like they did great work on engineering more robust, urban/hill-compatible clutches

I appreciate such improvement very much. A lifespan of only 15k kilometres is simply not appropriate for a high technology product like a Ferrari with a F1-gear box. Also it seems that Ferrari takes complaints from customers about their products seriously and tries to improve them.

I was partly curious if the clutch slip was programmed in for full throttle starts as part of the CST, as an alternative to wheel spin which is more likely to cause loss of control.

guys

I my 4200GT Maserati CC = F1, the clutch was gone because of reverse driving/parking. The parking lot has a little "hill", the clutch was gone after 16'000 km.

It was replaced under goodwill

The following helps to improve the livespan of your clutch:

always pull the car in neutral while waiting in trafic, or at the traffic lights

while shifting from one gear to the other, rlease the throtle for a second

while accelerating, wait until you feel that the clutch has griped, then fully accelerate

if you do this the clutch will live for at least 30-40'000 km

rgds

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good dose of common sense.

Another interesting thing my friend (the Ferrari dealer) told me was that at least here in Japan, most of the owners of F cars are weekend drivers who literally, take the car to a nice place for lunch or dinner, bit of shopping, a bit of cruising in the concrete jungle that is gridlocked known as Tokyo and then go home. Not exactly great for their cars, so the wear on F car clutches is probably a bit higher than the USA or UK where people actually drive thier cars and not just park them outside of Starbucks to impress the teenagers.

Quote:
    swissgallardo said:
    guys

I my 4200GT Maserati CC = F1, the clutch was gone because of reverse driving/parking. The parking lot has a little "hill", the clutch was gone after 16'000 km.

It was replaced under goodwill

The following helps to improve the livespan of your clutch:

always pull the car in neutral while waiting in trafic, or at the traffic lights

According to Ferrari shifting to neutral while waiting at a light has absolutely no impact on clutch wear.

while shifting from one gear to the other, rlease the throtle for a second

Contrary to instruction in the manual. It suggested keep your foot on the throttle while shifting

while accelerating, wait until you feel that the clutch has griped, then fully accelerate
    Not correct. Once in gear and accelerating it does not matter how much throttle you apply

if you do this the clutch will live for at least 30-40'000 km

Clutch wear for the F1 is 30,000 miles if primarily highway. 20-25,000 miles for city and highway.

rgds

Otherwise you are right about everything else.

Nick, how can you back this up? You only use your F-car as a Starbucks beaters

Just kidding

all what was mentioned applies to every clutch, regardless if F1 or manuel, it is a question when the torque applies to the clutch

friction and havey torque while not fully closed, kills every clutch

mechanical ground principals apply to all clutch systems, friction means, in iddle or under load equal heat/and abrasion

you do the math

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689902 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409413 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255825 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858161 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774266 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM