Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Gumball 3000 accident

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    They should have banned this Gumball crap a long time ago! Good riddance!

Gumball has outstayed its welcome it would seem. I actually LOVE the idea of driving across a continent, but if Gumball continues next year, the rules will have to be tightened. Speeding is just fine by me, but overly aggressive drivers are what makes this event dangerous. I don't see why everybody has to show off and just delve into the most dangerous possible situations .

I too love the idea of driving across a continent, but not together with a bunch of playboy loons with too much time and money on their hands and no respect for the law or other people. Sheer and utter stupidity.

Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:

Gumball has outstayed its welcome it would seem. I actually LOVE the idea of driving across a continent, but if Gumball continues next year, the rules will have to be tightened. Speeding is just fine by me, but overly aggressive drivers are what makes this event dangerous. I don't see why everybody has to show off and just delve into the most dangerous possible situations .

I too love the idea of driving across a continent, but not together with a bunch of playboy loons with too much time and money on their hands and no respect for the law or other people. Sheer and utter stupidity.

Agree with both of you.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Yes, I saw that. However, what was the reason for him to cross the centre lane?

Many Gumball drivers do not seem to need a reason to cross the centre lane. Judging by the lack of courtesy and respect some of them show each other in the following video, one can imagine how much worse they treat non-Gumball drivers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZFhNJ03Lc&mode=related&search=

In the past I thought all they did was break the speed limit with good judgement and had a little harmless fun. But now I see the Gumball administration do not police their drivers and also do not care if some of their drivers are forcing on-coming traffic to swerve to avoid a collision.

One of the senior members on m5board.com said if they ever plan to drive through Colorado he will try to convince the law makers and law enforcers of his state to bar them from entering Colorado. I would not hesitate to take the same action if I learn that they plan to drive through my state. These Gumball drivers give sensible speeders and courteous auto enthusiasts a bad name.

Last I heard the wife has also died of her injuries.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/04/a-matter-of-time-one-killed-one-injured-gumball-cancelled/

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Yes, I saw that. However, what was the reason for him to cross the centre lane?

Many Gumball drivers do not seem to need a reason to cross the centre lane. Judging by the lack of courtesy and respect some of them show each other in the following video, one can imagine how much worse they treat non-Gumball drivers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZFhNJ03Lc&mode=related&search=

In the past I thought all they did was break the speed limit with good judgement and had a little harmless fun. But now I see the Gumball administration do not police their drivers and also do not care if some of their drivers are forcing on-coming traffic to swerve to avoid a collision.

One of the senior members on m5board.com said if they ever plan to drive through Colorado he will try to convince the law makers and law enforcers of his state to bar them from entering Colorado. I would not hesitate to take the same action if I learn that they plan to drive through my state. These Gumball drivers give sensible speeders and courteous auto enthusiasts a bad name.

You're absolutely correct. What doesn't compute is that the driver, seen in the Belgian video, seemed to be cool and collected, not reckless at all. He even used turn signals properly . Also, since I know how people drive in that part of the world, I would not be surprised if it was the old man who changed his direction - at least this is the only scenario I can think of that would put part of the blame on him, as their authorities are suggesting. In any case, you can bet your house that Gumball is going to be much, MUCH more restrained next year. They had to restrain their drivers in 2004 after a series of accidents in Morocco, but alas that did not last. This time, it's here for good, if the Gumball wants to survive. Less arrogant and reckless "celebrities" and more people such as Crash and MAVERICK .

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:

Agree with both of you.

me also

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Here is the video of the car, #74. He doesn't seem to be driving really recklessly, he even uses turn signals! Why do I feel that the old guy cut them off and they ran in panic?

I once went on a day long cross-state drive with other drivers on public roads. During most of the drive, everyone was well behaved. But suddenly, some of them snapped and tried to go as fast as possible endangering the public and themselves. They were going so fast that they could not react in time to a piece of rubber debris. The debris damaged one modified (lowered suspension) car which had to withdraw from the drive. And these drivers were a bunch of ordinary car enthusiasts who lost their self-control for only a few minutes without the influence of booze, blondes, and rally hype. Imagine the temptation had they been Gumball participants with not much fear of jail, having their cars impounded and entrance fees forfeited.

Maybe the drivers in that video were nearing the end of the stage and were tired after a long day of driving so they were using signals and driving sensibly. But that does not mean #74 and others were not driving irresponsibly earlier during the day when they had more energy and no youtube clips to show their behavior.

Even if the old guy was completely at fault, why would #74 run for the border if he is not guilty? Gumball drivers have given themselves such a bad reputation for breaking the law and rubbing it in the public's face that when something serious happens, they feel guilty, run like cowards and give those of us who dislike reckless drivers all the ammo we need to call for them to be crucified.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Here is the video of the car, #74. He doesn't seem to be driving really recklessly, he even uses turn signals! Why do I feel that the old guy cut them off and they ran in panic?

I once went on a day long cross-state drive with other drivers on public roads. During most of the drive, everyone was well behaved. But suddenly, some of them snapped and tried to go as fast as possible endangering the public and themselves. They were going so fast that they could not react in time to a piece of rubber debris. The debris damaged one modified (lowered suspension) car which had to withdraw from the drive. And these drivers were a bunch of ordinary car enthusiasts who lost their self-control for only a few minutes without the influence of booze, blondes, and rally hype. Imagine the temptation had they been Gumball participants with not much fear of jail, having their cars impounded and entrance fees forfeited.

Maybe the drivers in that video were nearing the end of the stage and were tired after a long day of driving so they were using signals and driving sensibly. But that does not mean #74 and others were not driving irresponsibly earlier during the day when they had more energy and no youtube clips to show their behavior.

Even if the old guy was completely at fault, why would #74 run for the border if he is not guilty? Gumball drivers have given themselves such a bad reputation for breaking the law and rubbing it in the public's face that when something serious happens, they feel guilty, run like cowards and give those of us who dislike reckless drivers all the ammo we need to call for them to be crucified.

I won't argue against your other points as you make a lot of sense, but I will comment on the final one. People often flee, regardless of guilt. It's pure shock and perhaps the thought: "What if I did do something wrong?"
    I am not defending the douchebags for leaving the scene and abandoning the old couple in the car for dead, but there are reasons this happens. There is also the theoretical possibility of a lynch mob, which was mentioned on the M5board. Pretty far fetched, as far as I'm concerned, but let's not discount anything yet. The only thing we know for sure is that two people are dead and that the surviving partcipants fled the scene in fear. Anything else I say is just theory of what may had happened.

EDIT: Reading another forum, I hear that they only took off after the ambulance arrived.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Less arrogant and reckless "celebrities" and more people such as Crash and MAVERICK .

God help us all if those two lunatics are on the road. Better to lock 'em up a la Minority Report.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Less arrogant and reckless "celebrities" and more people such as Crash and MAVERICK .

God help us all if those two lunatics are on the road. Better to lock 'em up a la Minority Report.

Well, with us on board, the Gumball has nothing to fear, but us .

Found a video of the crash site:

Location video

It seems that I was right - there was an intersection and I'm pretty sure I know what happened - somebody hadn't used their turn signal.
    Also, there have been reports by other Gumballers that the pair actually DID wait for the ambulance AND the police and only left after the police ALLOWED them to leave, only to be halted at the border when the man died. I think somebody made a major cock-up, and I'm not talking about the crash itself.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    People often flee, regardless of guilt. It's pure shock and perhaps the thought: "What if I did do something wrong?"

Yes, I know. But why run for the border when you can run to a safe place within the country until the facts are worked out?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    There is also the theoretical possibility of a lynch mob, which was mentioned on the M5board.

Afaik, lynch mobs usually gather in some countries when a pedestrian is killed by an automobile not when two automobiles strike each other. If one is afraid of a possible lynch mob, why run for the border instead of a safe place like a police station?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The only thing we know for sure is that two people are dead and that the surviving partcipants fled the scene in fear. Anything else I say is just theory of what may had happened.

I agree except we do not know whether they fled out of guilt, fear, or both. And the fact that they headed for the border indicates but does not prove guilt.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    People often flee, regardless of guilt. It's pure shock and perhaps the thought: "What if I did do something wrong?"

Yes, I know. But why run for the border when you can run to a safe place within the country until the facts are worked out?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    There is also the theoretical possibility of a lynch mob, which was mentioned on the M5board.

Afaik, lynch mobs usually gather in some countries when a pedestrian is killed by an automobile not when two automobiles strike each other. If one is afraid of a possible lynch mob, why run for the border instead of a safe place like a police station?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The only thing we know for sure is that two people are dead and that the surviving partcipants fled the scene in fear. Anything else I say is just theory of what may had happened.

I agree except we do not know whether they fled out of guilt, fear, or both. And the fact that they headed for the border indicates but does not prove guilt.

True. In any case, I'm pretty sure all our speculations will look ridiculous when it is revealed what actually happened.

According to his close friend, the driver allegedly left the scene after receiving police permission. So why are the police filing charges of "failure to provide help?"

Are the police officers angry with rally drivers travelling at high speed on their roads, therefore they are filing false charges or did he really flee the scene without permission?

Source: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1035404&postcount=62

Here are to more pics from the crash. I only can say "STUPID and FOOLISH"

Greetings

and another pic...

Look's like the gumball party is over,

too bad they didn't make it to 10 years...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763965 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436256 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260940 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808641 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM