Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Battery dead, PSM failure & PASM failure message

The battery on my 2005 997S was starting to die, I kept charging it and it just wouldn't hold a charge. I called one of the local Porsche dealers and asked if I brought it in and they found that it was just the battery, if it's covered by warranty (just wanting to save a couple hundred on a new battery), he asked what the in-service date was and the mileage, I told him December 2004 (I didn't know for sure, but it's actually November 2004) and it has 15,800 miles on it, he told me that "it's not covered, you have to drive the car 6000 miles a year for it to be covered", well, by my math, that's 30 months @ 500 miles a month = 15,000 miles.... I have 800 more than that...

I didn't want to mess around with it so I just bought a battery. And when I put the new one in and put the key in, I got two errors on the screen in the tach, PSM failure and PASM failure, which you can get rid of by pulling back on the lever on the left, but it comes back when you turn the car on again... Do I have to bring the car in and have them clear the codes off or will it go away after I drive the car?

Re: Battery dead, PSM failure & PASM failure message

It probably needs to be cleared at the dealer. So much relies upon that now. You might want to review their math skills with them.

Re: Battery dead, PSM failure & PASM failure messa

You did what I would have done: just get a new battery and eliminate the extra needless static-filled BS.

My guess is you can drive the car (carefully because of PSM light) at your convenience until either it goes off of you can bring it in. Keep trying the "reset" technique.

You should have them check the current draw when the car is parked. Should be no more than 25 milliamps. I suspect mine draws more (not bothering to get it checked) so I always use the battery maintainer.

I guess i'll see if it clears itself after I drive it... I bought the car with 13,800 miles, so I have only driven it a couple thousand miles and maybe since I only drive the car once week usualyy, the battery just couldn't deal with it? I hope this one lasts a while... I have a good Shumacher charger, but I don't really want to have to hook up the cables to it after every time am going to leave it sit for a week. I saw a charger/maintainer that plugs into the cigarette lighter, has anyone used one of those?

Drive it in a couple of circles or make some turns and the error messages go away. Same thing happens if you disconnect the battery for a period of time.

Really, that's good to know. I'll take it for a drive when I get home tonight.

Thanks~!

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    I saw a charger/maintainer that plugs into the cigarette lighter, has anyone used one of those?

I bought the little Porsche battery maintainer that you plug in the the wall and insert it into the cigarette lighter. I paid about $45 at www.sunsetporsche.com. It keeps the battery at a constant level and eliminates the problems from not using your car enough.

Phil

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    I saw a charger/maintainer that plugs into the cigarette lighter, has anyone used one of those?

I bought the Black and Decker (model VEC 080 BD ) from Amazon.com for under $30
    it has 1 and 2 Amp settings , LED status indicators and plugs into the cigarette lighter

It works great and is ~ $100 less than the "Porsche" charger.

Should have gone with the battery warranty - I got one, but it was a small hassle. Porsches policy is to resist a little and then give in once shown that they are wrong. Still, it appears one really needs to make the case they are wrong. What a shame.
    Anyway, this way the dealer takes care of the error codes that can happen when the battery is disconnected.
    You can get a ODBII device for your laptop from Durmetric (.com) which will reset your error codes - unless there is a real issue.

Do not plug anything into the cigarette lighter other than the lighter. Plug the charger into one of the other two outlets (in the Center console or by the passengers feet).

I did buy the Durmetric cable and software, it reads some codes and clears some of them, but htye are the ones that you don't see anywhere unless you have something like the cable... I tried to clear off the "visible codes" and it did nothing... But i'm going to see what happens after I take the car for a drive and take it from there...

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:

Do not plug anything into the cigarette lighter other than the lighter. Plug the charger into one of the other two outlets (in the Center console or by the passengers feet).

Just curious .
    Why not into the cigarette lighter plug ?
    The cigarette lighter and the outlets in the center console and passenger footwell
    are all connected to the same wire .

Quote:
    jcs said:
    I bought the Black and Decker (model VEC 080 BD ) from Amazon.com for under $30
    it has 1 and 2 Amp settings , LED status indicators and plugs into the cigarette lighter

It works great and is ~ $100 less than the "Porsche" charger.

I bought the Porsche model 98061198100 and it only cost $45 from Sunset Porsche. It also plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Phil

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:

The instructions for the Porsche battery maintainer model 98061198100 says "First insert the suitable plug into the cigarette-lighter socket".

Phil

I'm curious how plugging the charger into the "lighter" charges the car...

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

I don't know, but here is what it says on the Porsche battery maintainer instruction sheet.

"The indicator light on the charger is lit during the charging process and goes out when the battery is fully charged (capacity reached). A small current continues to flow in order to prevent self-discharge of the battery. Therefore, the charger need not be unplugged from the electrical mains (outlet) or from the cigarette-lighter socket."

Phil

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

The cigarette lighter plug is on a "hot" wire in the Porsche .In other words, the wire is always connected directly to the battery ( via a fuse of course )
    So if you connect a LOW AMP TRICKLE CHARGER via the plug , it's the same as connecting it directly to the battery .

A regular heavy duty charger would not come equipped with a cigarette plug in the first place and would need to be connected directly to the battery , because the wire size to any of the convenience outlets is not of sufficient size to handle the current and you would burn out the fuse (or melt the wire ) Lol

OK, as soon as I pulled out of the driveway and started to drive the car, the errors cleared themselves and the lights went out! Now we all know how it works, thanks to everyone that helped with this one. Now, let's hope the battery stays good for a while. I did order a bettery maintainer, so hopefully that will keep things cool!

The confusion about the charger and the various possible accessory sockets is probably from the fact that the AIR COMPRESSOR must be used from the cig lighter only.

The _Porsche_ battery maintainer is a quarter amp, which is very small current so it can go in any socket.

Speaking of which, why anybody would use a non-Porsche unit is baffling to me. We're talking major computer/electronic problems if anything goes wrong (especially with a El-cheapo charger).

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    OK, as soon as I pulled out of the driveway and started to drive the car, the errors cleared themselves and the lights went out! Now we all know how it works, thanks to everyone that helped with this one. Now, let's hope the battery stays good for a while. I did order a bettery maintainer, so hopefully that will keep things cool!

YAY! Nice to hear that.

What I would do? Go buy a _good_ electrolyte tester (little squeeze bulb which sucks up acid into little float chamber) and see what's happening to your battery over the next week or so. This way you can see trouble before the battery goes dead. When bettery goes dead you've pretty much ruined it.

No joke: _use_goggles_, the chances of going blind from an acid splash even if one in a million are huge.

When using a "battery maintainer / charger", you need to use a cigarette lighter socket that is always 'ON" and connected to the battery, otherwise you will not be maintaining the battery charge.

And for the requirement of ONLY using the cigarette lighter socket for the portable air compressor is: this socket is fused for 15 or 20 amps amps, which is what is needed to run the compressor. The other sockets are fused at a much lower capacity and thus cannot be used to run the compressor. Since the battery maintainer in a 1 - 2 amp device, the other sockets (as long as they are directly connected to the battery and not switched) will work.

Quote:
    1st997 said:
    When using a "battery maintainer / charger", you need to use a cigarette lighter socket that is always 'ON" and connected to the battery, otherwise you will not be maintaining the battery charge.

As for which outlet to use? If you get the P battery maintainer you can tell if it's working (after a while) when you open the door and the red indicator light on the charger goes on.

We all go about this a little differently - I replaced my battery with an Optima and use a Battery Tender directly to the battery terminals (using the Battery Tender quick connector) for those times when the car is down for a while.

Here is what I have been using and it works well. Plus, since it is an "authorized" Porsche accessory, if it ever caused any problems I would have more leverage with Porsche. Try that will some other brand maintainer. Here is the info/price from Suncoast Porsche:

Porsche Battery Maintainer
    Code: 98061198100
    Price: $47.20

Add the Adapter Clamps:: With Clamps, add $14.95
    Without Clamps

Simple and safe battery charging via the cigarette lighter socket, recommended after the vehicle has been left standing for longer periods. This will fit all late model Porsches.

NOTE: Adapter Clamps can be purchased also, they help when you are charging the battery outside the car. They can also be used to open your front trunk if you have a dead battery

Phil

I'm sorry to impose my prejudice on you guys about non-p maintainers. I'm no expert and worry I might f'up probably the most sensitive and most expensive part of the car with a different mfgr for the maintainer. The aftermarket brand, because of "lesser" design or components could short out, or surge, or??? and who knows!!?? Doesn't seem worth the risk because the car _IS_ a computer.

For the same reason I buy only BMW's "techron" and not the local auto store version. At least I have BMW experts approving their formulation; God only knows who's approving the other brands of "techron."

We all need _advocates_ (in this case BMW or Porsche engineers (hopefully!!!!)) because things are so complicated these days.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I'm sorry to impose my prejudice on you guys about non-p maintainers. I'm no expert and worry I might f'up probably the most sensitive and most expensive part of the car with a different mfgr for the maintainer. The aftermarket brand, because of "lesser" design or components could short out, or surge, or??? and who knows!!?? Doesn't seem worth the risk because the car _IS_ a computer.

For the same reason I buy only BMW's "techron" and not the local auto store version. At least I have BMW experts approving their formulation; God only knows who's approving the other brands of "techron."

We all need _advocates_ (in this case BMW or Porsche engineers (hopefully!!!!)) because things are so complicated these days.

Prejudice respectfully noted...however, I have never run across a report of a battery maintainer or battery tender ever frying a car's electronics...you're right the P-car and most other new cars are just "computers' on wheels. BTW where do you get BMW Techron - at the dealers?

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    BTW where do you get BMW Techron - at the dealers?

Yep. 8 fl oz bottles called "BMW Gasoline Additive" 82 14 1 467 739.

I add one every second or third tank to the Porsche. I hope it helps and at least can't hurt.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Yep. 8 fl oz bottles called "BMW Gasoline Additive" 82 14 1 467 739.

I add one every second or third tank to the Porsche. I hope it helps and at least can't hurt.

I thought that you would only use what the engineers for your brand had "authorized". Did Porsche engineers authorize the use of a BMW product in their cars?????

Phil

Same thing happened to me when I put a Battery Tender pigtail on and disconnected the battery. It cleared itself on the way to the dealer So I went anyway to get a couple of rattles fixed and now they're louder then before.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Did Porsche engineers authorize the use of a BMW product in their cars?????

Phil

It's a gasoline additive to keep injectors and intake valves clean.

BMW and Porsche engineers drink in the same bars so I'm thinking it's fine.

And I thought we Porsche guys were anal - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82141

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691034 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410154 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256219 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235410 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858811 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775112 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM