Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne

AP911:
    SciFrog:

I really don't care much about V8 vs V6 but they could make the Macan better sounding under acceleration. Sound at idle and when you start the car is actually pretty good even without the sport exhaust.

I had a Macan S for 2 years and sold it because I got bored of the V6. A V8 would have made all the difference.

Finally someone who feels the way I felt about this car...excellent car, boring as hell engine. Smiley

Couldn't complain about the resale value though, sold it for $8K less than what I paid for it. It was an excellent car though overall. 

Same here, dealer needed to get rid of a Cayenne S Diesel badly, so we landed a great deal, even paying less and saving some money in the process as well (my wife had way too many kilometers with her Macan Turbo, so...).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

From my own perspective I certainly can. I've had three Cayennes - original 955, a 957 and a 958.1. I could have bought a 958.2 and considered both a Diesel S and GTS variants but instead opted for the then new Range Rover Sport in 2013 due to a combination of styling, much higher standard spec, more modern and attractive interior (subjective viewpoint), comfortable ride quality and more than acceptable performance for daily use here in the UK. For 6 months this year I ran a Maserati Levante which whilst not yet at Porsche levels of quality or engineering is certainly not far enough behind to be dismissed. It was good to drive, handled well, had the lovely Zegna custom interior package, had a good touch screen infotainment system that was easy to use and better than the PCM in the Cayenne, higher standard spec, more exclusive sight on the road etc. I had a couple of loaner 958.2 Cayennes whilst I had the Levante and I would not have swapped the Maserati for them as whilst their performance was better they both looked and felt very dated.

The outline shape of the Cayenne has stayed pretty much the same since 2002 and I simply got bored buying a rehash of the original design which itself was no looker. I can forgive Porsche doing that with an icon like the 911 but not an SUV. Land Rover managed to seriously alter the look of the current Range Rover Sport from the first generation model and massively boosted sales in the process by taking a design risk. Great design is both desirable and aspirational and sells universally whilst great engineering is merely admired and appreciated by a minority.

Any SUV purchase is subjective so you will likely have a very different perspective/opinion. However to the vast majority of buyers the fact the car can streak around the Nurburgring in sports car threatening times is totally irrelevant. Off road abilities are also not of interest to most buyers either as the huge boom in sales of 2WD variants at lower levels of the market indicates. If Porsche brought out a 1.6 petrol 2WD Macan at around 10 - 15% less than the current base Macan it would sell in huge numbers to image conscious buyers on PCP lease deals who want it for the badge and image it conveys. In that regard Porsche are slipping into the same space in the market BMW occupied 20+ years ago when it was regarded as an aspirational brand by the majority of buyers and not respected for the engineering integrity that had got it to that point. Porsche have recognised that these cars are fashion statements to many buyers or else they wouldn't have the coupe version of the Cayenne on its way to go up against the X6 and GLE coupe. IMHO these coupe SUVs are the most pointless cars made as they have neither the elegance of a conventional saloon based coupe nor the load carrying practicality of a conventional 2 box SUV but I can't argue with the sales figures.

I had an early Macan turbo but didn't really care for it. It didn't feel like an SUV and reminded me more of an over sized hot hatch as the cabin is fairly small considering the overall footprint of the car and the seating position is fairly low. The V6 engine was impressive in terms of speed but the sound was disappointing and it was extremely thirsty on fuel. I very quickly sold it on as they were fetching strong premiums so it made a pleasant change not to own a normal fast depreciating Porsche for once smiley

Other Rennteamers have moved to brands like Volvo to cover their SUV needs and have no regrets in doing so. Those are just some examples of sales already lost to Porsche from people who are enthusiastic about the brand. Will the "same old" styling of this new model really tempt any of us back yes

The Cayenne? I would have chosen one only if Porsche would offer a version with a 600+ hp V8, nice sound, 200 kg less weight and with a price tag of under 130k (base model). Never going to happen, so bye bye Cayenne.

The Macan? Great small SUV, not quite delivering the SUV feel I would expect from a SUV (even a sporty one), brake sucked (although they did some improvements) and the engine was the most boring engine (Macan Turbo) I ever had in any of my cars. With a V8 n/a engine and 450 hp, I would have paid top dollars for such a Macan. With a torquey V8 Biturbo, it would have been very nice as well. Not going to happen I'm afraid, it seems Porsche goes ELV. 

There is not much remaining in the segment if you are looking for a "sporty" SUV. Audi SQ7? Too big, too heavy, Diesel, pricey (although good discounts available). Range Rover SVR? Nice but expensive, bad lease offers in Germany and a bit too comfortable for my taste (I love the design though). Mercedes? I like the GLC63 only. Nothing else. Maybe the G class but my wife hates it. Unfortunately also missed some good lease offers.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk? Nice powerhouse but I worried about quality issues. Never again.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Macan S is underpowered, the turbo barely has enough hp. As said above, it has SUV practicality without being one, and the previous gen Panamera was as boring as the Macan. A Macan GTS with 450hp V6 turbo and a great sound would destroy the competition further but the Macan is selling so well Porsche didn't even bother with one and would seriously canabilize much higher margin Panamera sales. Let's stop beating a dead horse anyway... Not sure how the GLC 63 AMG handles but it must be heavier and less sporty and no PDK. Plus it probably doesn't have all season tires which is a major pain. The issue with the GLC is that they sell very very well and the market will be saturated with them in suburban USA.

The new RRS sport handles more than good enough at 25% cheaper than a Cayenne TT (full option Autobiography) that IMHO it has destroyed the value of  buying a Cayenne TT. On every other aspects the RRS is above or on par with the Cayenne, and mine even has a small third row. Plus it has all season tires and will cost way less in tires and brakes.

Like ISUK said, to me the Cayenne shape is unchanged for the last 3 designs, the new one is better than the last two but it is the same. Also the cost of tires and brakes is outrageous for a daily driver (my last brake change was $4.5k and that was 5 years ago, tires would last 12k miles).

Iain summarizes the Cayenne conundrum very well.  When I was SUV shopping back in 2011, the Cayenne somehow seemed a bit characterless, did not really like rough or dirt roads which I need, and seemed much happier on smooth pavement.  I went with the Range Rover Sport then, as it had much more of a sense of occasion whenever you drive it (especially with the 510 hp V8), even if the Cayenne would leave it for dead around a track.  That RRS was the most trouble free car I have owned and still enjoyable after 6 years and 90,000 km, so, I just took delivery last week of a 2017 replacement, same V8 engine as I was not convinced by the TD6. I Looked at the Cayenne just before ordering the new RRS, to see whether it was more tempting this time, and quickly wondered why I bothered.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

in pure priceterms spoken a highly specced previous Generation Cayenne can be bought for a very nice Price very very soon.....

any idea when the GTS will be released? 

end of 2018?

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

I read some rumors this morning about Porsche considering a Cayenne coupe, to compete with the X6 and the GLE coupe...

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

SciFrog:

Macan S is underpowered, the turbo barely has enough hp. As said above, it has SUV practicality without being one, and the previous gen Panamera was as boring as the Macan. A Macan GTS with 450hp V6 turbo and a great sound would destroy the competition further but the Macan is selling so well Porsche didn't even bother with one and would seriously canabilize much higher margin Panamera sales. Let's stop beating a dead horse anyway... Not sure how the GLC 63 AMG handles but it must be heavier and less sporty and no PDK. Plus it probably doesn't have all season tires which is a major pain. The issue with the GLC is that they sell very very well and the market will be saturated with them in suburban USA.

I was quite impressed with how the GLC43 AMG (which isn't even a "real" AMG) handled, very very close to the Macan Turbo and the brake system was better as well. The heavier engine could change the handling on the GLC63 but I try to think that AMG won't make the GLC63 less sporty than the GLC43. Engine choice for the GLC43 is crap though and while the auto works excellent (similar to PDK in the Macan), manual changing gears is a horror.

The new RRS sport handles more than good enough at 25% cheaper than a Cayenne TT (full option Autobiography) that IMHO it has destroyed the value of  buying a Cayenne TT. On every other aspects the RRS is above or on par with the Cayenne, and mine even has a small third row. Plus it has all season tires and will cost way less in tires and brakes.

RRS is too expensive (lease) over here, also a bit too big for my wife (she wants something smaller than the Cayenne, this is what she always loved on her Macan Turbo). GLC63 S is also much faster, 0-100 kph in around 3.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in (rumored) in 14 seconds flat. This is sensational for such a (small) SUV.

Like ISUK said, to me the Cayenne shape is unchanged for the last 3 designs, the new one is better than the last two but it is the same. Also the cost of tires and brakes is outrageous for a daily driver (my last brake change was $4.5k and that was 5 years ago, tires would last 12k miles).

I like how the new Cayenne looks but I think it needed a bit of an improvement in the design department, it looks way too boring and too close to the current Cayenne. The interior is very nice, no complaints here. The pricing is out of this world, this is insane for such a car, sorry. For the money I pay (lease) for the GLC 63 S (510 hp V8 Biturbo), I would probably get a Cayenne Diesel lease over here. Smiley No thanks.

--

Joost:

I read some rumors this morning about Porsche considering a Cayenne coupe, to compete with the X6 and the GLE coupe...

I find this shape much more attractive! Hope P will make something like that and won't mess up

--

One for me please smiley

cayenne_coupelol.jpg

--

Never understood those Coupe SUV's yes

BjoernB:

Same here but especially women seem to love them. Smiley

My wife now bugs me to get the "Coupe" version of the GLC63 S AMG and I really hate this car... Smiley

One of her best friends got herself a X4, another one has a X6...you see the pattern here?! Smiley

--

I hate coupe SUVs. However if this monstruosity makes sense in the line up of one brand that would be Porsche.

And I have to say that those renderings are quite appealing tbh. Still I don't like it though.

I hate coupe SUVs too, worst thing in the car industry mail

Very curious why people don't like Coupe SUV so much. Design issue? Because I cannot see any other reason for that. "Coupe" SUV for me it's the same SUV with different roof line yes Maybe I'm missing something

--

SportCarGroup:

Very curious why people don't like Coupe SUV so much. Design issue? Because I cannot see any other reason for that. "Coupe" SUV for me it's the same SUV with different roof line yes Maybe I'm missing something

Loses rear headroom and cargo space in most cases. Why buy a Coupe SUV for a premium when you can just buy a smaller SUV if that's what you're after?

Doesn't make sense to me. 

noone1:
    SportCarGroup:

Loses rear headroom and cargo space in most cases. Why buy a Coupe SUV for a premium when you can just buy a smaller SUV if that's what you're after?

Doesn't make sense to me. 

The Porsche Cayenne has 670 litres, Mercedes GLE Coupe (650 litres). Not a big difference, but at the same time GLE looks much sportier IMHO

--

Josef:

I hate coupe SUVs too, worst thing in the car industry mail

No. Cabriolet SUVs are even worse SmileySmiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Josef:

You mean this: SmileySmiley

2013_nissan_murano-crosscabriolet_convertible-suv_base_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

martini964:
    bluelines:
    Josef:

You mean this: SmileySmiley

2013_nissan_murano-crosscabriolet_convertible-suv_base_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Tough choice.... Between this and a hypothetical GT3 cabrio with rear seats Smiley

Why does the new Cayenne Turbo 4.0 engine have a higher consumption than the previous 4.8?

cayenneturbo:

Why does the new Cayenne Turbo 4.0 engine have a higher consumption than the previous 4.8?

Because they didn't cheat as much? Smiley

The Évoque convertible is a nice vehicle.

SciFrog:
    cayenneturbo:

Because they didn't cheat as much? Smiley

The Évoque convertible is a nice vehicle.

Smiley I do not know who does the measurements but a cayenne turbo does not consume less than 15 liters nor parked in the garage

SportCarGroup:

Because they make no sense? A SUV, no matter how luxurious or powerful, needs to have a purpose for it's size and mass. A "Coupe" SUV is a compromise. I wouldn't really be too much concerned about it though since I like the saying "to live and let live..." but "Coupe" SUVs have a very very bad reputation in the general population (especially in Germany, just recently I heard the expressions "Yugo-Karre" (referring to immigrants from former Yugoslavia who seem to love such SUVs, especially the X6) or "Kanaken Off-Roader" (which is even more offensive and racist). People kind of "accepted" normal SUVs (still, mostly younger people seem to feel offended by them, for various ecological and/or political reasons Smiley) but "Coupe" SUVs attract the attention focus to SUVs in general again, throwing a bad light on all of "us". Or to make it short: It is complicated. Smiley

--

RC:
    SportCarGroup:

Because they make no sense? A SUV, no matter how luxurious or powerful, needs to have a purpose for it's size and mass. A "Coupe" SUV is a compromise. I wouldn't really be too much concerned about it though since I like the saying "to live and let live..." but "Coupe" SUVs have a very very bad reputation in the general population (especially in Germany, just recently I heard the expressions "Yugo-Karre" (referring to immigrants from former Yugoslavia who seem to love such SUVs, especially the X6) or "Kanaken Off-Roader" (which is even more offensive and racist). People kind of "accepted" normal SUVs (still, mostly younger people seem to feel offended by them, for various ecological and/or political reasons Smiley) but "Coupe" SUVs attract the attention focus to SUVs in general again, throwing a bad light on all of "us". Or to make it short: It is complicated. Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

Same here but especially women seem to love them. Smiley

My wife now bugs me to get the "Coupe" version of the GLC63 S AMG and I really hate this car... Smiley

One of her best friends got herself a X4, another one has a X6...you see the pattern here?! Smiley

I bought an X4 last year on a whim, as I was intrigued by the styling. After a couple of months, I gave it to my girlfriend who originally hated SUV's; she has grown to like quite a bit since...

The only SUV/CUV coupes that look ok to my eyes are the GLE coupe and the X6. You loose heads room and interior space and many are fine with it. 

For when the hybrid?

cayenneturbo:

For when the hybrid?

Next year...I think.

I asked my Porsche dealer to make me a (good Smiley) offer for the new Cayenne Turbo.

Why? Simple: I love the idea of getting a GLC63 S AMG and I already have a good offer for this car but if a GLC 63 S AMG costs around 134k EUR, why not ask my Porsche dealer what he can do about a new Cayenne Turbo? If the lease offer is good... I doubt it though. From past experience, Porsche leases are always more expensive than BMW and Mercedes leases, even if the price is similar.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754498 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431287 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255746 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802575 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM