Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - solution

Yes, that is exactly how it works. I believe it switches off the controller for the vacuum pipe somehow. In the end, you get the best of both worlds, you can enable PSE (no cut off) without enabling Sport mode.

Any Porsche mechanic should be able to figure it out by looking at the PCM circuit diagram, that is what the superhero mechanic did at my dealer. However, it did not sound like an easy mod (compared to the 996). My car was the first 997 they done it on and it took them a few hours to complete.

Oh, is it illegal?

Thanks Bluelines.... I think I got all the info needed now to have the job get done..... I only need the car now

Sounds way cool. Would you mind posting a pic of the PCM console with the button and tell me which dealer you're dealing with? I might want to go for this as well, once my car arrives. And if my mechanic has not idea how to do it, I can then refer him to yours.

TIA

HI ALTAK
    i anwered via PM

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Sounds way cool. Would you mind posting a pic of the PCM console with the button and tell me which dealer you're dealing with? I might want to go for this as well, once my car arrives. And if my mechanic has not idea how to do it, I can then refer him to yours.

TIA

The button is "hidden" under the dash, but easy reachable from the drivers position, so not visible on the PCM front. The mechanic did this for legal reasons, in case the police starts sniffing they won't find the mod I am sure you could add an extra button to the PCM console or get it integrated with the Sport button even, as it is only an on/off switch. Sorry, a photo will not show anything special with my PCM console.

For discretionary reasons (the mod is not legal after all) I promised to not mention the name of my garage. However, as I posted above, any skilled Porsche mechanic should be able to figure it out if a.) they have done the mod on a 996, b.) they look closely at the 997 circuit diagram and c.) your influencing and persuading skills

Thanks very much for the extended explantion bluelines.

I surely accept that the garage wants to remain anonymous.

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - X51??

Hi again,

sorry to be a pain! But I can't find the hose in the CarreraS with X51.
    Anyone got an idea? Picture?

Thanks in advance!

Getaway

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - X51??

Quote:
    Getaway said:
    Hi again,

sorry to be a pain! But I can't find the hose in the CarreraS with X51.
    Anyone got an idea? Picture?

Thanks in advance!

Getaway

We're working on it. We have to put our hands on a powerkit car for more than a few minutes first. The "problem" is that X51 already comes with the PSE, so there must be some sort of integrated system. Maybe it is pretty simple but as long as we don't have the car in our hands, it is pretty difficult to provide a solution. Maybe somebody who already owns a X51 car (US only since german customers get their cars this month earliest) could already provide a solution?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Here is the mod, enjoy.
    Just simply pull off the rubber hose (red arrows) where the red circle is and leave it pulled off. ONLY the rubber hose where the arrows are pointing at, NO NEED for the second rubber hose to be removed!
    If you're afraid that authoroties could see the removed rubber hose, take a piece of plastic (some sort of tiny plug) and try to push it inside the rubber hose. Then, put the rubber hose back on (like on the picture!).
    Please read the warning and also be aware that the exhaust will be LOUD all the time, the sport button doesn't change the loudness anymore. BUT: due to the changed throttle response by pressing the sport button (chrono sport only!), the sound gets "better" with sport chrono activated.
    It is the same sound like on the old 996 PSE with two differences:
    1. it has more high pitch sound, less deep groal (very similar to the old 964 RS), very nice original 911 setup
    2. it is not quite as loud as the old PSE but it may change when the exhaust is "burned in" (or better said: burned out) after a few thousand km.

Also be aware that with the loudness control activated, the sound is pretty disappointing, surprisingly.
    Also be aware that it may take a few fast rounds before the exhaust starts to get louder (strange).
    Directly after install, the PSE sounded almost like my original exhaust.

And finally, good news for 997 Carrer (not S!) owners:
    the exhaust is approved for the Carrera (not S!) too.
    If you can get one...get one.

Now do we have good news for you or not? Enjoy guys.

Where is this connected on a car with X51 please?

Anyone have a picture of that? I unplugged the WRONG one and now I have to bring my car into the shop to get the sport function working again.

I have a C4 and would like to install PSE, but keep the oval pipes. Is this possible?
    Tz for your answer.

Quote:
    caysim said:
    I have a C4 and would like to install PSE, but keep the oval pipes. Is this possible?
    Tz for your answer.

Are you kidding? The PSE exhaust pipes are awesome looking. And they are unique. I've only seen two other 997's with PSE here in Southern California.

Quote:
    caysim said:
    Tz for your answer.

If you've got the money, anything is possible. In this case though, I would think there would be a lot of fabricating, cutting and welding involved. I wouldn't do it.

For those of you who live in South OC, CA. If ineterested you can contact Hergschimer in Lake Forest. They will take your stock mufflers off and re-work the inside housing and put them back on the car and the car will then sound louder, deeper and sportier

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    For those of you who live in South OC, CA. If ineterested you can contact Hergschimer in Lake Forest. They will take your stock mufflers off and re-work the inside housing and put them back on the car and the car will then sound louder, deeper and sportier

edz61, Do you have any sound clip?

I am afraid I don't as I have not done this to my 997S yet. But Hergschimer does this all the time. They are very honest decent people. They did the Revo software upgrade on my 996C4S. They will install software for free with 6 hours of drive after 6 hours of driving the software expires and if you feel the difference you will pay about a $1000.00 and get the permanent software which they claim will give you 17 H.P. I did it to my 996C4s and I felt the difference, more responsive in lower RPM's. The 997 software will be out in a few weeks.

I went to my dealership today and drove a 997C4S with PSE. I am thinking about installing the damn thing on my 997C2. My baby has the Chrono pack too. However, while driving, I noticed a strange noise, like an air turbine noise but without the "near the end" whistle. It's a much deeper sound, like some air it's sucked down some rubber tubes at a high speed. It's that part of the PSE experience?

So all you do is pull that tube off, you don't need to unplug the orange plug or anything? It doesn't create some kind of vacuum leak or anything?

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    So all you do is pull that tube off, you don't need to unplug the orange plug or anything? It doesn't create some kind of vacuum leak or anything?

If you pull the tube off , you WILL affect the car's vacuum unless it is properly plugged .
    Why do you want to pull the tube off ? You get the same result ( PSE always loud ) if you just disconnect the orange plug which takes two seconds and no possibility of a vacuum leak .
    (If you disconnect the electrical plug to the solenoid, you prevent the vacuum from closing the PSE exhaust valves )

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

If you decide to use the 'tube method' make sure you seal both ends with plugs. I found black plastic golf tees were ideal...Then tape the tubes together to avoid any flapping.

I chose this method about a year ago because it followed RC's guide more closely. Glad to say I've had no problems whatsoever.

Guys, does someone has installed a separate switch to switch den PSE on and off from the driver seat? If yes, what is the procedure to do that?

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Guys, does someone has installed a separate switch to switch den PSE on and off from the driver seat? If yes, what is the procedure to do that?

Yes, I have.... I had it installed at my garage.
    The whole procedure has been discussed in previous threads. You might find it again as I do not remember it completly ( mainly the switch cuts the power , so the exaust stays open)

Quote:
    Lars996 said:

You mean like this ?
    Switch closed: everything per factory
    Switch open : PSE on loud all the time ( no power to solenoid)
    Install:
    1. remove carpet trim piece behind rear seats
    2. remove the left(passenger side) electronics metal cover
    3. cut the red/purple (12 v) wire going to the solenoid valve and splice a wire to each end( the wire is located in the extreme left corner ,going into the engine compartment)

Route the two wires behind the passenger side side panels ( you will need to remove the storage compartment below the passenger door ( lift out the rubber bottom and remove one screw) then continue the wires behind the carpet around the foot well to the center console or wherever you want to put the switch . I intalled mine in the ashtray .

JCS has all the hot mods!!!!
    I like the switch idea, but i'd have to have someone do it for me, I don't trust myself to do it right...

On another note, for PSE cars, to make it even louder, JCS suggested to me that I have a "bypass pipe" welded from the IN pipe on each muffler, to the OUT pipe of the PSE pipe, before the valve, that way when you activate the PSE (sport button), it will bypass the muffler and be like a muffler bypass with a switch to make it back to normal...

I found someone that will do it for me, but I'm a little leary of doing it because I'm guessing it will void the warranty on the exhaust system, if not more, and my car is Porsche Certified until almost 2011...

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification

I have a switch, not the bypass!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33889996@N00/sets/72157594533681857/

Does anyone know of a way to have Sports Chrono on as soon as you start the car WITHOUT turning on also PASM??? On my previous 996 C4S the PSE was on as soon as you started the car all the time and would only be off if you switched it off. Porsche has improved a lot of things in the 997, for example, if you leave the mirror selector switch in the middle, you won't have the mirror swiveling down when backing up unless you want it to do so. That is a step forwards. Now, when my 997S has the PSE off by default unless I turn on Sports Chrono - with PASM coming on also and then having to turn it off - it seems like a step backwards! I would like Sports Chrono on as soon as the car is on so that I can enjoy the crisper throttle respone AND the PSE but want the option of NOT needing to turn PASM off every single time. So, if anyone out there knows of a way to do this or if a dealer can program the DME so that it makes PSE and Sports Chrono on by default while having PASM off also by default, I for one would love to hear it!

Hi JCS and larrytrk... lots of thanks for explanation this is what I was looking for!

Just wondering, if I really need to get the wire to the engine-room or if the valve wire is not ending up anywhere around the electronic black boxes / fuse box behind the brake and throttle?

Many thanks, L@rs

Wire to cut is below rear panel behind rear seats! Easier to get to if you don't have Bose!
    The wiring diagram for the sport exhaust shows hot wire coming from the Drivers heated seat circuit, but I would hesitate to try and tap there!
    My setup was added later so I direct wired to the fusebox with my switch!

Quote:
    larrytrk said:
    Wire to cut is below rear panel behind rear seats! Easier to get to if you don't have Bose!
    The wiring diagram for the sport exhaust shows hot wire coming from the Drivers heated seat circuit, but I would hesitate to try and tap there!
    My setup was added later so I direct wired to the fusebox with my switch!

That's another thing I was wondering.... My PSE, (I think) was added after the fact as well... What is the best way to install a switch on a car that has an "after the fact" intall of the PSE?

If it was set up to work with Sport button or has the other console button and goes through the DME, you have to treat it like a factory install!

It does work like a factory install, with the Sport button... So the wiring should be the same?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781768 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442801 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263469 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261865 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85959 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5990 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881634 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819540 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM