Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I REALLY want a Ferrari. How can I get it at M

Wasn't it Frank Sinatra who said: "You drive a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You drive a Lamborghini when you are somebody."

I can see how Ferrari treats its existing customers well, but new buyers are screwed with this system. Luckily enough, there are no such problems in Western Europe.

Nice. Go for it. You could drive that over msrp Ferrari Spider for the next couple of years for what it would cost you in depreciation for a $100k 997 S cab.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Wasn't it Frank Sinatra who said: "You drive a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You drive a Lamborghini when you are somebody."

I can see how Ferrari treats its existing customers well, but new buyers are screwed with this system. Luckily enough, there are no such problems in Western Europe.

Yeah exactly "Frank Sinatra". lol! Sorry Crash nothing against you at all man swear but that one always makes me laugh. It always makes me think of Steve Martin's "The Jerk" : "Be somebody"........."Frank Sinatra" lol!

MOST "new buyers".

LOL!! Found it:

>>Hobart Yes, so I'm told. Oh, and here's your drink sir, like the one you saw in the magazine.
    Navin Well, you got the bamboo umbrella and everything. See that? (he pulls the magazine out of the drawer) "Be somebody".
    Hobart Very good sir, very good. Oh, there's some charity people here to see you sir.
    Navin Mo, sent them away! There's a lot of people more deserving than me.
    Hobart Ah, but these people want you to give.
    Navin Oh, o.k.<<

LOL!!

Quote:
    Crash said:

Re: I REALLY want a Ferrari. How can I get it at MSRP?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Agree, place a deposit for the F430 replacement!

Dealer's by me will not let anyone place a deposit for a replacement unless they're an exsiting customer. AKAIK it's the same deal where joo22us lives in Southern CA. I know it's a catch 22.

That's atrocious and obnoxious, and why one day I will buy a Lambo and not a Ferrari. Nothing against Ferraris or their owners, but the dealers that take your arm and leg along with your money.

I think it's great. For once it's not about how much money over msrp you're willing to pay. My salesman is so funny he told me he picks who he wants to do business with that way he doesn't have aggravation dealing w/ a-holes. It's not about the money. I don't find anything "obnoxious" about their policy at all. "obnoxious" is the guy who's given 20 years worth of business to a Chevy dealer only to be charged over msrp for a Z06. Or bumped from a Z06 after being promised a Z06 because someone else is willing to pay more and I've heard many many stories of Chevy dealers doing this to existing customers. That's obnoxious. Or the Ford customer raped on a Ford GT. That to me is "obnoxious". With Ferrari since they don't/can't make money over msrp on new cars they treat their existing /good customers with the best cars at msrp. Existing customers basically drive these cars for free or make money in the exchange. Sounds more than fair to me.

I guess you're right though when it comes to new Ferrari customers having to pay over msrp for a used car but I can assure you every single car dealer in the world would be doing the same exact thing,,,if they could. The difference is w/ Ferrari w/ a new car it will always be at msrp vs every other car dealer which will charge you as much as they can possibly get away with........The trick is becoming an existing Ferrari customer. But will tell you there's guys who've never paid over sticker for new cars just need to know someone. I paid msrp for my Challenge Stradale (made $ after 2 yrs of ownership) and my F430.

I see what you're saying but I think a critical element of the Ford and Chevrolet model is that neither dealership is accustomed to selling high end cars. I think its this complete lack of experience with selling these type of cars that led to the extreme gouging when the Ford GT and Z06 were first offered.

I think this is what has led to alot of frustration from Z06 and Ford GT owners (especially folks that are used to Mercedes and Porsche dealerships). Its painfully obvious that most Chevy and Ford dealerships have no idea how to sell a 80K-150K dollar car and treat the customer that is willing to spend that money at their dealership.

Lease one temporarily while putting money down on the replacement

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I KNOW you're glad to be living in Western Europe instead of the US .

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Yeah exactly "Frank Sinatra". lol! Sorry Crash nothing against you at all man swear but that one always makes me laugh. It always makes me think of Steve Martin's "The Jerk" : "Be somebody"........."Frank Sinatra" lol!

MOST "new buyers".

No, I was serious. It was said in one of the Ferrari:Lambo debates a few years ago. You're saying this is fake?

GOT MY GRIGIO SILVERSTONE/CUOIO F430 SPIDER!!! I can tell you that the drive from the dealer to my house (2 miles) was the most exhilarating 2 miles in my life. The dealer told me I got brownie points for buying from them and I would get more brownie points if I sell it back to them. They told me I would be in their "family" and the more brownie points I have, the sooner I will get the next, greatest Ferrari.

I've had 996 Turbo and 05 Gallardo. Those cars are awesome. But I honestly never had the chest expanding, hair growing, waist shrinking, genital enlarging, height increasing feeling I get with the F430. I'm gonna drive it as I feel like it. If I get hosed because I put 5k mi/yr, well so be it. I'd rather enjoy it and take a $ hit than to baby it and sweat every mile. Of course 3 years later I might not be so bold but in the meantime...YAHHHHHH HOOOOOOO!!!

P.S. Thanks to all you Ferrari experts and your insight. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll see some of youse at F Club meeting.

Quote:
    joo22us said:
    GOT MY GRIGIO SILVERSTONE/CUOIO F430 SPIDER!!! I can tell you that the drive from the dealer to my house (2 miles) was the most exhilarating 2 miles in my life. The dealer told me I got brownie points for buying from them and I would get more brownie points if I sell it back to them. They told me I would be in their "family" and the more brownie points I have, the sooner I will get the next, greatest Ferrari.

I've had 996 Turbo and 05 Gallardo. Those cars are awesome. But I honestly never had the chest expanding, hair growing, waist shrinking, genital enlarging, height increasing feeling I get with the F430. I'm gonna drive it as I feel like it. If I get hosed because I put 5k mi/yr, well so be it. I'd rather enjoy it and take a $ hit than to baby it and sweat every mile. Of course 3 years later I might be so bold but in the meantime...YAHHHHHH HOOOOOOO!!!

Congrats! I wish you a very fun and pleasant ownership experience !
    And lots of brownies .

Quote:
    joo22us said:
    The dealer told me I got brownie points for buying from them and I would get more brownie points if I sell it back to them. They told me I would be in their "family" and the more brownie points I have, the sooner I will get the next, greatest Ferrari.

Congrats on the car. You went in for the kill.

Gotta laugh at the brownie points thing though. "Keep spending your dough and if you're lucky we might sell you one at less than full mark up." Oh well, whatever, it's all part of what makes us like these cars so much

joo22us - Congrats and enjoy your new car.

@Crash he actually said it. But its no big deal, Sinatra was not a real "car guy."

The actor Steve McQueen was a car guy from that era. He onced owned a VW Van, some hot rod VW bugs, a 911SR and a Ferrari 275GTB all at the same time. Steve McQueen actually liked to drive cars, even if it meant racing a 917 at LeMans with a plaster cast on his foot. The VW Van he owned was used to drive his bikes to the desert.

Sinatra judged cars more by "arrival presence." Frank Sinatra liked the desert also, enough to give some of his enemies vertical condos under road signs near Las Vegas.

Quote:
    joo22us said:

I've had 996 Turbo and 05 Gallardo. Those cars are awesome. But I honestly never had the chest expanding, hair growing, waist shrinking, genital enlarging, height increasing feeling I get with the F430. I'm gonna drive it as I feel like it. If I get hosed because I put 5k mi/yr, well so be it. I'd rather enjoy it and take a $ hit than to baby it and sweat every mile. Of course 3 years later I might not be so bold but in the meantime...YAHHHHHH HOOOOOOO!!!

P.S. Thanks to all you Ferrari experts and your insight. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll see some of youse at F Club meeting.

So I guess that means we can assume you live in Beverly Hills Congrats on your purchase

Although for joo this is great news: he got the car he wanted and all the exhiliration is proivded!

It still does not solve the issue: Ferrari is gouging the customer base and creating this mythic sense of "brand loyalty" amongst its "existing customers."
    Sounds more like a lame cult/ponzi scheme than a true business model. People buy into the mystique and pay up the ass for it.

You begin to understand it when you go to South Beach and see 20 Gallardos per F430. Still, this is a fabricated sensibility and its not good business practice...

Manufactured elitims at its best. Just like going out to any boutique club, any hyped reestaurant etc... manufactured elitism.

Quote:
    Hurst said:Manufactured elitims at its best. Just like going out to any boutique club, any hyped reestaurant etc... manufactured elitism.

Los Angeles as a town is all about "manufactured elitism". We've made it a way of life, an art form really. I doubt this bothers Joo22us.

Quote:
    joo22us said:
    But I honestly never had the chest expanding, hair growing, waist shrinking, genital enlarging , height increasing feeling I get with the F430. I'm gonna drive it as I feel like it. If I get hosed because I put 5k mi/yr, well so be it. I'd rather enjoy it and take a $ hit than to baby it and sweat every mile. Of course 3 years later I might not be so bold but in the meantime...YAHHHHHH HOOOOOOO!!!

Err, tell us more about it!

Congrats, enjoy your new ride!
    Grigio silverstone/cuoio looks sooooo nice! I promise, you will never regret buyint this car!

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Although for joo this is great news: he got the car he wanted and all the exhiliration is proivded!

It still does not solve the issue: Ferrari is gouging the customer base and creating this mythic sense of "brand loyalty" amongst its "existing customers."
    Sounds more like a lame cult/ponzi scheme than a true business model. People buy into the mystique and pay up the ass for it.

You begin to understand it when you go to South Beach and see 20 Gallardos per F430. Still, this is a fabricated sensibility and its not good business practice...

Manufactured elitims at its best. Just like going out to any boutique club, any hyped reestaurant etc... manufactured elitism.

Call it what you will but it's worked for them here in the US pretty much since day one. They're now in their 53rd year.

Quote:
    Crash said:

It sounds good!!!!

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:Manufactured elitims at its best. Just like going out to any boutique club, any hyped reestaurant etc... manufactured elitism.

Los Angeles as a town is all about "manufactured elitism". We've made it a way of life, an art form really. I doubt this bothers Joo22us.

Without a doubt.
    Oddly enough, I don't hear the same uproar when it comes to P-dealers marking up the GT3 RS.

I don't think we have to pay over list here in the UK, but there maybe a long waiting list...

Perhaps there's 20 G's per F430 in Miami because the Lambo is seen as the "cooler" car... Or maybe the owners get more kicks from the G than the F car...?

I drove an F430 Spider last weekend for the first time and it is a brilliant car, though I'd rather have a G Spider... It's all down to personal preference I guess!

Have fun and enjoy whatever car you prefer!

Boy I am just glad things aren't like this in Australia for ANY car! Having said that, there is a bloody long wait if I want a F430 today. This is why I have just put a deposit for the none existant "Dino"!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Luckily enough, there are no such problems in Western Europe.

Really???
    Cetainly here in the UK you arn't going to be able to walk into a dealer and get a new car to your spec without having a good relationship with them.
    Having said that the premium you will pay here for a new 599 is only ~ $60,000 so nothing like the US market

Quote:
    traxx said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Luckily enough, there are no such problems in Western Europe.

Really???
    Cetainly here in the UK you arn't going to be able to walk into a dealer and get a new car to your spec without having a good relationship with them.
    Having said that the premium you will pay here for a new 599 is only ~ $60,000 so nothing like the US market

I said Europe, not an island off Europe .
    Right now, I can walk into the dealer showroom, order a Ferrari and it will be here in 5-6 months, with no markup. There seems to be the same or a similar situation in most other european countries.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

MOST "new buyers".

No, I was serious. It was said in one of the Ferrari:Lambo debates a few years ago. You're saying this is fake?

I believe he said it but when did he say it 1962? No the part I find funny is that people would actually care about what Frank Sinatra said about sports cars. What did Sammy Davis Jr drive? lol!

Quote:
    joo22us said:

Congrats! Way to go! I was out in my 430 all day this past Sunday. Everytime feels like it's a new experience again! Whenever you stop driving please post some pics !!

Quote:
    Hurst said:

You've got it all backwards my friend.

"Ferrari" the company doesn't gouge customers at all, matter of fact they're the ONLY manufacturer that doesn't charge market price for their new vehicles. I'm on my second new Ferrari and after making money on my first car after 2 years of pleasured ownership I could easily sell my 430 for way above the msrp I paid. Not "gouging" customers at all in fact quite the opposite.

Ferrari dealers just like any other car dealer in the entire world are free to charge market price for used/titled/reg cars. Besides the fact this is fair it's the only way in which such low volume dealerships can survive. Although I didn't have to pay over msrp most dealerships will charge a new customer over msrp for their first car w/ them, afterwards they will continue selling cars to repeat customers at msrp, that's how my dealer works w/ the majority of their customers anyway.

For the poster who just bought that Spider he will definitely spend less in depreciation over the next few years than if he had bought a 997 turbo and more than likey if his dealer is like mine will now continue to sell new Ferrari's to him at msrp in which he could eaily make money from & drive the hell out of and trade every couple of years and it will cost him nothing.

The fact that SOME new Ferrari owners choose to pay extra for their first car hurts them way less financially than every single Lambo owner that decides to pay sticker only to be given much less $ for their trade. But the difference is w/ Lambo and every other manufacturer you pay through the nose w/ every single used car trade where the Ferrrai customer can easily get away w/ buying and trading cars paying nothing for the experience or even making money in the process. The people that end up "paying up the ass" is the Porsche owner like myself or the Lambo owner when they want to trade. I can't even describe to you how different it felt when I traded my Challenge Stradale for my 430 and I GOT BACK more money for the CS than I paid. And that was dealing straight w/ the dealer, trading in the CS without worrying about selling to a private party. PLUS I ALSO saved $18k in taxes because in NY you only pay tax on the difference in value from trade to new car. It's in big contrast to the feeling when I've trade Porsche's, trust me. Sure these cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed and 99.9% of the time re-sale isn't what I' thinking about when I'm driving them but let me tell you it's a huge difference everytime you need to get the check book out and make up for the cost of depreciation as w/ my last Porsche which cost 30% of the msrp and now I'm looking at trading my 997 S cab for a turbo cab and probably looking at another 25% depreciation. Yeah here comes the posters that say these cars are meant to depreciate blah,blah,blah but they're probably not the ones trading every year and if they're someone that honestly cares zero about $30k x 2 cars per yr depreciation every year then good for them.

But back to the Ferrrai thing - Some of you guys either just don't get it or don't understand how it works or whatever. But the last thing that happens is repeat Ferrari customers get 'gouged' it's completely the OPPOSITE.

btw: Aren't you the guy I had a bet w/, that if you found a new 430 spider for msrp anywhere in the US I'd buy it for you vs. giving me $1...Where's my buck?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

MOST "new buyers".

I believe he said it but when did he say it 1962? No the part I find funny is that people would actually care about what Frank Sinatra said about sports cars. What did Sammy Davis Jr drive? lol!

No, not because of the performance or driving sensation (which are top notch), but simply for the people who tout Ferraris as being more of a status symbol - who better than Frank Sinatra to shorten their wingspan? Then again, since you bought the car for performance, it really doesn't surprise me that you don't care .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

MOST "new buyers".

No, not because of the performance or driving sensation (which are top notch), but simply for the people who tout Ferraris as being more of a status symbol - who better than Frank Sinatra to shorten their wingspan? Then again, since you bought the car for performance, it really doesn't surprise me that you don't care .

Last July at the Ferrari factory tour I also went to the Ferrari Museam in Maranello. There was an entire room dedicated to all the actors and Rock Star's who own/haved owned Ferrari's. If I could remember any of them this would be a good time to drop names but honestly can't think of one.

I think a lot of people may start off buying a Ferrari for the "status symbol" but if you're anything like the car nut I am that all takes a 'back seat' once you've had some time to drive their cars.

Whether Frank preferred Lambo or Ferrari is completely irrelevant to me. Besides one car or the other will never make a difference of wanting to "be somebody" or 'being somebody" it's really just a silly comment & why I think the "be somebody" theme in Steve Martin's "The Jerk" was so funny. ........ And what would it mean if you owned both Ferrari and Lambo? Would Frank consider you a bi-polar 'somebody'? split personality somebody? And how bout Dean Martin??????

I remember well talking with Frank about this in Palm Springs. He had just bought a Muira (I think it was a P400?)
    You've got to remember that Frank was very insecure-not surprising given some of his friends!It was Peter (Lawford) who told him that no one would be "seen dead driving a vulgar Ferrari". Funny really as Frank had a Ferrari on order from the dealer in Beverley Hills. So on hearing Peter's opinion he immediately cancelled the order for the Ferrari and bought the Muira instead. Then a few weeks later he met with Peter again (this time in Vegas). First thing Peter says when he sees Frank emering from the Sands Hotel walking towards the Muira: "Hello old boy. Whose car is that? Really awful taste"!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781032 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442594 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263362 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261681 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85821 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5915 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881442 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818957 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM