Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

Whoopsy:

911R vs GT3 Touring

-911R has single mass flywheel 

-911R is numbered

-911R has a bit more 'emotions', less insulation so more noise 

-911R has a few lightweight bits

-GT3 Touring has a better engine

-GT3 Touring has a bit more stability at high speed due to extra downforce

-GT3 Touring after configuration will be about 15% cheaper than a comparable 911R (both counting MSRP)

The GT3 Touring is a direct result from people going after the 911R like crazies. 

Some say about 80% of people ordering manual GT3 will go for the Touring option, rough guess Porsche will make around 4000 GT3. figured the take up rate for manual cars will be 30%, 1200 manual cars and if 80% figure is true, Porsche will make around 1000 GT3 Touring, around the same number as 911R. 

Don't get swayed by forums about everyone is ordering manual. Car forums have perhaps a few hundred active members that are ordering manual cars, the silent majority outside of online forums will be ordering PDK. 

Fitting PDK back onto the GT3 Touring is trivial, I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche ended up allowing that option later down the road. 

As a 911R owner, do I feel upset or betrayed? Not really. From talking to AP, I always knew a manual GT3 is coming, the 911R is just a beta car for them to test out the 6-speed and diffuser. Porsche dressed up a beta test car and limit the number to make it 'special'. Now going all the way to make it wingless does put a little bit of sour taste in my mouth, but in the end, there are still a lot of content difference between the 2 cars. Hopefully with the Touring car people will not go crazy on the 911R anymore and make the price come down, so I can actually drive it more.

This is what I suspect at some point...as a last "edition". Smiley Smiley Too late for me I'm afraid...not that it matters.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:
    Mithras:

I can't believe they went through all of this trouble and didn't add rear seats. mail

I went from "blocking out some time next week to go see my salesperson" to "F$ck Porsche, they're never going to make a car that actually really  suits my needs."

Also Porsche interiors are sh!t and this one really drives it home. Looks cheap, feels cheap and is two generations behind the worst of its competition. 

Christ I'm pissed off right now.

Funny enough that is most of the reasons why I moved away from the 911 9 years agoSmiley

Just took me a while longer to get therebroken heart.

I want a car I can daily drive 9 months out of the year, stick my two sons in the back of and drive to the track to have some fun for 5-6 week-ends. I know how competitive I am and how hard I drive on the track and I don't trust non GT engines (other than Mezger Turbos) for the track abuse I would put them through. But without rear seats it's a no-go for me and the trouble I'd put myself through with hard suspension etc. on road driving just to be able to track it becomes moot and I may as well get a more useable street car which isn't track capable and a separate track car again. 

Not that they care, but they just lost a sale and made someone that's owned Porsches for 24 years get pretty close to being done with the marque. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

What are the respective sales percentages between manual and PDK on the GT3? Do they know?

Mithras:
    but they just lost a sale and made someone that's owned Porsches for 24 years get pretty close to being done with the marque. 

I know this feeling, believe me. Had it many times before but after I got my R8, my eyes are wide open now. Kind of an eye opener that there is more than Porsche out there. I have owned other brands as well during my Porsche ownerships but mostly because Porsche was too expensive or they didn't make the car we specifically needed. Now it seems that they moved on...or I did...don't have a clue. Fact is: Right now, I'm not tempted by any Porsche model in their model portfolio but I really like the 991.2 GT3. With PDK and rear seats, I may have returned...maybe. Now I think I am going to wait for the 960...which I probably cannot afford, so... Smiley Smiley

After owning three Porsche cars at the same time (Cayenne, Boxster, 911) at some point, next year will probably be the first time when there is not a single Porsche in our garage. Sad for someone like me, who always was loyal to the brand and had a good connection to the company.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

CarreraAddicted3:

What are the respective sales percentages between manual and PDK on the GT3? Do they know?

I thought they expected (or at least hoped) a minimum of 25% manual. I assume now the Touring is here with MT only, they will easily get to that number.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:
    CarreraAddicted3:

I thought they expected (or at least hoped) a minimum of 25% manual. I assume now the Touring is here with MT only, they will easily get to that number.

I think 33% is the minimum I'd expect (including Touring) - wouldn't be shocked to see close to half in some markets.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Porker:
    CarreraAddicted3:

I think 33% is the minimum I'd expect (including Touring) - wouldn't be shocked to see close to half in some markets.

I got some interesting numbers from different Porsche Centres in Belgium.

Brussels: 100% PDK / Mechelen: 50% PDK / Geel: 0% PDK / Gembloux: 25% PDK

The city based centres have much higher demand for PDK.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Demand for manual GT3 is much over rated. 

Outside of the USA , where most men still think driving a manual car is manly, everywhere else are going the PDK route.

Combining worldwide sales, the take up rate for manual GT3 should be around 25-30%, with the majority going to the North American market. Since North American market accounts for roughly 30% of allocations, it means every order from North American has to be a manual car in order to get to 30%. 

--

Grant:
    KresoF1:

BTW, due to the lack of fixed rear wing top speed is 316km/h.

My P source wrote to me that around 85% of manual GT3 is expected to be ordered as Touring.

So, it has a speed limiter (only Porsche sports car with one)?

My car will be the Unicorn (Manual with Wing)?Smiley 

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I have the unicorn as well! PTS, Clubsport and manual. Millions are going to come our way. Smiley

Kidding aside, the dealer called me today stating that Touring was not possible for me because of PTS. Whether that had to do with production slot or no PTS for Touring, he couldn't say.

--

Frank,

PTS, CS and manual is very characterful and unique choice. kiss

"The significance of Porsche Motorsport for its road cars"

Porsche may well be the world's biggest producer of racing cars. This has a direct impact on road-car development...

Porsche delivered 600 racing cars last year, including this 911 RSR used by Gulf Racing in the WEC

(12 September 2017)

If Porsche is proof that motorsport improves the breed, then its output of racing cars last year suggests a very healthy company indeed.

In 2016, Porsche delivered an astonishing 600 racing cars, which its boss of GT and motorsport, Frank Walliser, reckons makes Porsche the biggest builder of race cars in the world.

Dallara, for example, might argue the point, but for a company whose main business is road cars, 600 race cars is a massive number.

There’s also a direct link from the racing car department to road cars, Walliser said. For example, when the 919 World Endurance Championship team is wound down at the end of this year, its 200 engineers will be redeployed inside Porsche. “We’ll keep the people, yes,” he told Autocar at the Frankfurt motor show.

Most will go on to design the new Formula E car, a project that takes on new significance, after the VW Group’s further commitment to electrification at a pre-show press gathering.

But others will go to work on "a few projects we have on the go".

On the direct link between GT and motorsport and road-car engineering, I think Walliser was only half-joking when he told Autocar last night: “When there’s a new 911 or whatever being designed, the race department turns up and gives them a book of our specification.”

In practice, that comes down to details like wishbone design, which the race team can influence to their advantage, making the completed car more competitive.

Walliser was also interesting on the subject of GT cars, when he talked about the new £112k GT3 Touring (pictured above), essentially a new option pack for the existing GT3.

The idea came from Andreas Preuninger, ‘Mr 911’, who raised it at a ‘water-cooler’ meeting about 15 months ago.

Walliser said that a number of customers had also given feedback that the GT3’s distinctive rear spoiler made the car difficult to use for business meetings.

The subtler look of the Touring will undoubtedly make it a fabulous daily-driver. The GT3 Touring goes some way to address the insane demand for last year’s 911R, whose used prices have rocketed.

Both are based on the GT3 ‘narrow body’ rather than the GT3 RS ‘wide body’ and have a manual transmission and naturally aspirated six. The R’s spec is a little higher with magnesium body panels, for example.

Walliser also made it clear the GT2 RS would be the only version of that car: "A 911 with the GT2 engine is already very aggressive, which makes it a natural RS. We won’t do ‘just' a GT2."

Autocar link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/motor-shows/significance-porsche-motorsport-its-road-cars

Smiley Smiley Smiley

RC:
    Mithras:
    but they just lost a sale and made someone that's owned Porsches for 24 years get pretty close to being done with the marque. 

I know this feeling, believe me. Had it many times before but after I got my R8, my eyes are wide open now. Kind of an eye opener that there is more than Porsche out there. I have owned other brands as well during my Porsche ownerships but mostly because Porsche was too expensive or they didn't make the car we specifically needed. Now it seems that they moved on...or I did...don't have a clue. Fact is: Right now, I'm not tempted by any Porsche model in their model portfolio but I really like the 991.2 GT3. With PDK and rear seats, I may have returned...maybe. Now I think I am going to wait for the 960...which I probably cannot afford, so... Smiley Smiley

particularly since it may never come

KresoF1:

Frank,

PTS, CS and manual is very characterful and unique choice. kiss

Smiley

--

Porsche is slowly but surely selling its soul: SUVs as main stream, 7,000 units produced of the 991.1 GT3 RS (according to my understanding), a GT pack for the GT3 frustrating R owners, etc.

I guess VW influence.

Time for me to experience something new and different. First AMG GTR and probably soon Mc Laren.

--

991 GT3 RS / Coming soon: AMG GTR / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

Porker:  I have the unicorn as well! PTS, Clubsport and manual. Millions are going to come our way. Smiley

Kidding aside, the dealer called me today stating that Touring was not possible for me because of PTS. Whether that had to do with production slot or no PTS for Touring, he couldn't say.

Yeah, the Touring is not offered with PTS here either.  You did the right thing - great spec Smiley  Wish we had Clubsport in US...

--

Whoopsy:

911R vs GT3 Touring

-911R has single mass flywheel 

-911R is numbered

-911R has a bit more 'emotions', less insulation so more noise 

-911R has a few lightweight bits

-GT3 Touring has a better engine

-GT3 Touring has a bit more stability at high speed due to extra downforce

-GT3 Touring after configuration will be about 15% cheaper than a comparable 911R (both counting MSRP)

The GT3 Touring is a direct result from people going after the 911R like crazies. 

Some say about 80% of people ordering manual GT3 will go for the Touring option, rough guess Porsche will make around 4000 GT3. figured the take up rate for manual cars will be 30%, 1200 manual cars and if 80% figure is true, Porsche will make around 1000 GT3 Touring, around the same number as 911R. 

Don't get swayed by forums about everyone is ordering manual. Car forums have perhaps a few hundred active members that are ordering manual cars, the silent majority outside of online forums will be ordering PDK. 

Fitting PDK back onto the GT3 Touring is trivial, I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche ended up allowing that option later down the road. 

As a 911R owner, do I feel upset or betrayed? Not really. From talking to AP, I always knew a manual GT3 is coming, the 911R is just a beta car for them to test out the 6-speed and diffuser. Porsche dressed up a beta test car and limit the number to make it 'special'. Now going all the way to make it wingless does put a little bit of sour taste in my mouth, but in the end, there are still a lot of content difference between the 2 cars. Hopefully with the Touring car people will not go crazy on the 911R anymore and make the price come down, so I can actually drive it more.

I would have preferred a 911R if I was offered an allocation. Yes it's more expensive but in Australia you're looking at $327k vs $404k before options and on roads, so really if you're already going to be spending so much another $80k isn't a huge deal. I'm glad you're driving the R. Drives me insane that people are not driving it. It isn't a super exotic like an Aperta!

derder:

disappointed after all the hype/rumours re rear seats. there is no reason to get this over a manual .2 GT3 imo.

now I enjoy (and treasure) my 997.2 GT3 more than ever wink

What? You went back to a 997.2? I thought you sold it when you picked up the GT4. What happened to that car?

Just took me a while longer to get therebroken heart.

I want a car I can daily drive 9 months out of the year, stick my two sons in the back of and drive to the track to have some fun for 5-6 week-ends. I know how competitive I am and how hard I drive on the track and I don't trust non GT engines (other than Mezger Turbos) for the track abuse I would put them through. But without rear seats it's a no-go for me and the trouble I'd put myself through with hard suspension etc. on road driving just to be able to track it becomes moot and I may as well get a more useable street car which isn't track capable and a separate track car again. 

Not that they care, but they just lost a sale and made someone that's owned Porsches for 24 years get pretty close to being done with the marque. 

The problem is - what alternative cars are there if you want MT and NA.

I was pretty disappointed with no rear seats also, particularly with reports from Lars on seeing a test mule with them fitted.

No PTS and no new colours is just kicking me while Im down.  Was going to go all in on a last hurrah for NA and MT -special colour, 4 seats, could have owned it a long time.  Now Im not so sure.

pmarkow:
    RC:
    Mithras:

particularly since it may never come

After they apparently stopped R8 development (next gen), it seems that the chances of the 960 have increased astronomically. According to rumors around 2020 or 2021. It will share a platform with the Huracan, Aventador, 911...

--

Does anyone know if the GT3 T has extra sound proofing  compared to the regular GT3 ? 

Is ride hight the exact same ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Some interesting info in evo article (repost from rennlist).

Evo article here with some new (to me) info:

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-gt3...ixed-rear-wing

New info here (bolded):

Quote:

By opting for the Touring Pack GT3 customers are doing more than ticking a rear wing delete option. The removal of the fixed rear wing and relying on the retractable wing of the regular 911 Carrera and the small, additional Gurney flap on the trailing edge of the engine cover, means the car’s aero is changed significantly. It has resulted in a shorter front splitter being fitted and beneath the engine and behind the rear bumper there is a bespoke rear diffuser, although this differs compared to the one fitted to the 911 R.

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.

Shorter front splitter is good news from a daily driver perspective.

No doubt it being "faster" than the regular gt3 will set tongues wagging!

Bardman:

there is a bespoke rear diffuser, although this differs compared to the one fitted to the 911 R.

Any picture of the new diffusor ? 

It is maybe faster on straight line or maybe in the hands of a pro , but the extra downforce of the GT3 makes it a more confident car when driving fast around corners on a track . No doughs about that !

A huge difference I have noticed when driving my RS behind a GT3 on fast corners on the track . My car is much more stable .   Maybe not faster , but more planted which helps confidence with amateur drivers , which are probably 95% of the owners . 

--

Bardman:

New info here (bolded):

Quote:

By opting for the Touring Pack GT3 customers are doing more than ticking a rear wing delete option. The removal of the fixed rear wing and relying on the retractable wing of the regular 911 Carrera and the small, additional Gurney flap on the trailing edge of the engine cover, means the car’s aero is changed significantly. It has resulted in a shorter front splitter being fitted and beneath the engine and behind the rear bumper there is a bespoke rear diffuser, although this differs compared to the one fitted to the 911 R.

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.

It was to be expected...

--

Gnil:

Does anyone know if the GT3 T has extra sound proofing  compared to the regular GT3 ? 

No extra sound proofing, same suspension and setting. 

Gauss:
    Gnil:

Only downsides with the lack of back seat  as a DD compared to the GTS .

Some might argue that you can't use the high rev engine in normal road driving , compared to the high torque of the Turbo GTS....

--

RC:
    Bardman:

New info here (bolded):

Quote:

It was to be expected...

So, you could order a Touring and then buy the front lip and the wing from the OPC.  Quick conversion for some Trackdays and for daily driving the touring engine cover...

And the wing looks good on the wall in the garage during the year. Smiley

Blueflame

In this scenario I guess it would be cheaper to order the non-Touring version and buy a simple decklid for daily use.

It would seem to me that in order to have the Touring spoiler the entire Carrera spoiler mechanism needs to be added which is part of the wiring  harness and its speed activation feature incorporated into the ECU along w/ a center console switch.  At the risk of inducing a gag reflex for some here, I suppose the 991 ducktail sport design could be used which does not require any speed activation.  Not sure what the aero implications would be.  Right now I am more concerned about convincing my wife that the .2 wing isn't as bad as she remembered from my .1.  The only reason I have a .2 on order (w/ approved PTS no less) was the Touring Package gambit.  Like Dickens said, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

The only reason I have a .2 on order (w/ approved PTS no less) was the Touring Package gambit.  Like Dickens said, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

So, will you get PTS with a wing, Touring without PTS, or neither?

--

Gauss:
    Gnil:

Argh that does sound tempting! Then again I secretly enjoy that rollcage/boy-racer atmosphere in a GT3. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM