Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SLR Supertest

SLR customers are used to paying extra charges. For example Euro 9k for bigger 19" rims

And Euro 11.000 for red leather!!!!!!!

A true bargain

A true bargain

Quote:
    CF said:

I don't see a problem with that price... everybody knows red cows are really rare and hard to find!

Quote:
    CF said:

I don't see a problem with that price... everybody knows red cows are really rare and hard to find!

Quote:
    RC said:
    I never understood why people are buying the SLR.........
    Maybe it really is the perfect "poser" car.

If being a "poser" means that you want to demonstrate that you have so much money that:

a) you no longer have any room in your home or garage for good taste,

b) you do not have to expect to get value for your money,

then the SLR has to be the ultimate poser's car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I never understood why people are buying the SLR.........
    Maybe it really is the perfect "poser" car.

If being a "poser" means that you want to demonstrate that you have so much money that:

Quote:
    CF said:
    Someone please scan the article.

CF,

You do seem to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms!
    You might want to know that Jeremy Clarkson just announced on tonight's "Bottom Gear" that a test report of the Carrera GT will be shown on the next Sunday's program.

So if you are interested in objective reporting on your future "baby", you might want to arrange to be .... say in Fiji; anywhere which is out of range of the BBC.... next Sunday night.

Incidentally, "the Stig" (experienced Le Mans driver Perry McCarthy) lapped Bottom Gear's home circuit in exactly the same time (1' 23"?) in a Ferrari Modena CS as in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. He has probably been bribed by Nick Berry to provide ammunition for Nick's thesis that the 911 is a totally out of date concept which should have been consigned to the junk heap long ago!

Quote:
    CF said:
    Someone please scan the article.

CF,

You might want to know that Jeremy Clarkson just announced on tonight's "Bottom Gear" that a test report of the Carrera GT will be shown on the next Sunday's program.

So if you are interested in objective reporting on your future "baby", you might want to arrange to be .... say in Fiji; anywhere which is out of range of the BBC.... next Sunday night.

Incidentally, "the Stig" (experienced Le Mans driver Perry McCarthy) lapped Bottom Gear's home circuit in exactly the same time (1' 23"?) in a Ferrari Modena CS as in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. He has probably been bribed by Nick Berry to provide ammunition for Nick's thesis that the 911 is a totally out of date concept which should have been consigned to the junk heap long ago!

Quote:

Fritz,

I can come to think of some other cars that fit into that description as well.

Quote:

Absolutely not.
    My mind is crystal clear

Quote:

Fritz,

Quote:

Absolutely not.
    My mind is crystal clear

Quote:
    CF said:
    Quote:

Fritz,

Yeh, i know what you mean, CF. Much as I like those old Bugatti 57's, the prices did get out of hand!

Quote:

Quote:
    CF said:
    Absolutely not.
    My mind is crystal clear

Good to hear! You are on the right path!

Quote:
    CF said:
    Quote:

Fritz,

Yeh, i know what you mean, CF. Much as I like those old Bugatti 57's, the prices did get out of hand!

Quote:

Quote:
    CF said:
    Absolutely not.
    My mind is crystal clear

Good to hear! You are on the right path!

Quote:
    fritz said:Incidentally, "the Stig" (experienced Le Mans driver Perry McCarthy) lapped Bottom Gear's home circuit in exactly the same time (1' 23"?) in a Ferrari Modena CS as in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. He has probably been bribed by Nick Berry to provide ammunition for Nick's thesis that the 911 is a totally out of date concept which should have been consigned to the junk heap long ago!

and doesn't the GT3RS have a "few" HP less than the stradale? so if with 45HP less and 70kg more curb weight the GT3RS managed to make it to the finish line in the same time as Modena's finest-ultimate-super fabulous-sublime-radical-no compromise $200k car, what does that say about the handling of the GT3RS? maybe there is hope afterall for that old 911 ... german efficacy at its best

BTW, the GT3RS and F360CS beat the Murcielago, Zonda and Koenigsegg's lap times!

Quote:
    fritz said:Incidentally, "the Stig" (experienced Le Mans driver Perry McCarthy) lapped Bottom Gear's home circuit in exactly the same time (1' 23"?) in a Ferrari Modena CS as in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. He has probably been bribed by Nick Berry to provide ammunition for Nick's thesis that the 911 is a totally out of date concept which should have been consigned to the junk heap long ago!

and doesn't the GT3RS have a "few" HP less than the stradale? so if with 45HP less and 70kg more curb weight the GT3RS managed to make it to the finish line in the same time as Modena's finest-ultimate-super fabulous-sublime-radical-no compromise $200k car, what does that say about the handling of the GT3RS? maybe there is hope afterall for that old 911 ... german efficacy at its best

BTW, the GT3RS and F360CS beat the Murcielago, Zonda and Koenigsegg's lap times!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the Murcielago, Zonda and Koenigseggkoenigseggkoenigsegg!

You get Bottom Gear in Galicia? How are real estate prices there these days?

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the Murcielago, Zonda and Koenigseggkoenigseggkoenigsegg!

You get Bottom Gear in Galicia? How are real estate prices there these days?

Quote:
    fritz said:You get Bottom Gear in Galicia?

don't tell me you don't like "poseur" "show man" Jeremy? did you know Tiff is now on a show called Fifth Gear in Channel 5? Tiff is the man

(BTW, I get like 50 channels but I still can't those shows here, so I get them both by downloading them off the emule)

Quote:

don't tell me you don't like "poseur" "show man" Jeremy? did you know Tiff is now on a show called Fifth Gear in Channel 5? Tiff is the man

(BTW, I get like 50 channels but I still can't those shows here, so I get them both by downloading them off the emule)

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:

Oh Carlos,

Check some of my old posts, and you will see where I stand on both J. (irrational) Clarkson and Tiff (the man) Needell!

I think Vicky Butler-Henderson got a positive mention in there somewhwere too!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:

Oh Carlos,

Check some of my old posts, and you will see where I stand on both J. (irrational) Clarkson and Tiff (the man) Needell!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

That explains why all those hoardings at the side of the road in Spain show black bulls, not red cows!

PS: This post may be out of date. I just realised how long it's been since I drove through Spain, so the Osborne brandy company (????) may be bust by now?

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

That explains why all those hoardings at the side of the road in Spain show black bulls, not red cows!

PS: This post may be out of date. I just realised how long it's been since I drove through Spain, so the Osborne brandy company (????) may be bust by now?

Quote:
    fritz said:

Quote:
    fritz said:

Mike,
    Don't let your wife catch you.

As far as the 360CS vs. GT3 RS, isn't it only fair that Ferrari gets to have a few more variants to throw at Porsche before calling the match? I mean, the Germans have the Turbo, GT3, GT2, GT3RS, and probably a few more by tomorrow morning.

Botton Gear lap times are highly suspect anyway. They describe conditions subjectively rather than objectively (wet, dry, mildly moist).

BTW, I think what matters to Mercedes at the moment, is that the SLR is selling well (at least in America).

Mike,
    Don't let your wife catch you.

As far as the 360CS vs. GT3 RS, isn't it only fair that Ferrari gets to have a few more variants to throw at Porsche before calling the match? I mean, the Germans have the Turbo, GT3, GT2, GT3RS, and probably a few more by tomorrow morning.

Botton Gear lap times are highly suspect anyway. They describe conditions subjectively rather than objectively (wet, dry, mildly moist).

BTW, I think what matters to Mercedes at the moment, is that the SLR is selling well (at least in America).

I actually dont really understand people who buy SLR (besides some of the Hollywood actors who need automatic transmission :-) ), I mean if you are for super car hunt and you are willing to spend few hundred K $$$ you just add $50k more and get the best of the best - CGT. And if you really want Merc, ok go and buy the REAL SLR from 60's. This one would cost you $100K less, but is the real thing :-)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802982 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448481 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266013 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832879 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM