Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Mercedes C63 S AMG Convertible and GLC 43 AMG test drives (soon)

Will get a Mercedes C63 S AMG Convertible and a GLC 43 AMG today for the whole weekend.

Can't wait to test-drive these cars, unfortunately there is no GLC 63 AMG test car available yet, so the GLC 43 AMG has to do (no, I do not plan to get the GLC 43, I will get the GLC 63 S AMG) for now.

Tomorrow and Sunday will be rainy and cold weather in Bavaria, so I am very curious how the powerful 2WD C63 S AMG Convertible will behave in rain, especially regarding traction. A friend who has the Coupe version says that it is a horrible car to drive in rain but I hope he is wrong (this is supposed to be my wife's next car).

If the C63 S AMG Convertible isn't good in rain, I think my wife will opt for the C 43 AMG Convertible instead. Not a fan of the car but it has AWD. 

My eyes are still on the GLC 63 S AMG but I haven't ordered it yet. I do have an option for an Edition 1 delivery for April next year though, just in case (car could be delivered in February but it doesn't make sense).

Will post my findings here in the forum as soon as possible. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Re: Mercedes C63 S AMG Convertible and GLC 43 AMG test drives (soon)

Enjoy the test rides!

The C43 needs a chip than it is really fast. However - you feel the Turbo gap. 

Nevertheless, I was test riding the C63 on a wet road and would never ever choose it over the C43 with 4WD. Love that little car, it is fast, versatile and super undercover (no one expect it to be fast). Certainly it misses that V8 sound of the C63, buts that pretty much all. The AMG bumpers is a matter of taste anyway - I like the look of the C63, but it is also more flashy. 

I drove the C63AMG S Convertible in February extensively to and from the racetrack in Portimao during 3 days. Roundabouts and exiting them was huge fun, comfort on the autobahn good, we were even the 4 of us sometimes. I also loved the sound but if you are looking for traction in the wet, forget it.

Mike

OK, I test-drove the GLC 43 AMG only since the C63 S Convertible had a flat tire when I went to pick it up. Since it was after 4 pm Friday, the parts department was closed yes and they couldn't exchange the tire. Will have to test-drive the car this Wednesday or next weekend. Dammit, weekend is rainy, it would have been perfect to see how my wife likes the car in the wet.

As to the GLC 43 AMG, here are my observations after a three hours test-drive, incl. some high speed (up to 245 kph on the speedo) Autobahn driving:

- Build quality excellent (above BMW X3 series in my opinion but not quite Macan territory maybe but very close).

- Biturbo 6-cyl. engine is powerful but not really fun (could need some more torque in the lower rev range)

- Exhaust/engine sound very(!) disappointing, expected more after various positive reviews I watched on YouTube. Typical generic turbo sound you know from the Macan Turbo or the McLaren 720S (here at least it is louder). Luckily, the GLC 43 AMG lacks (most of the time) those pathetic farts (spitting) the CLA 43 AMG seems to produce.

- Manual shifting? Forget about it, no fun at all and very bad setup. Even in Sport + mode.

- Automatic works very well but I wish it wouldn't keep the gear that long in Sport + mode, this is no sportscar.

- Turbo lag in all driving modes very noticeable, acceptable in Sport + mode.

- Even at speeds over 200 kph powerful engine, you won't feel undermotorized on the Autobahn.

- Very good chassis setup, drove in Sport + chassis mode and loved it but it may be a bit uncomfortable on bumpy roads. High stability feel at high speeds on the Autobahn, excellent setup. Chassis feels overall very sporty, close to Macan Turbo, only steering feel is a bit different (pretty firm compared to the Macan Turbo but also very direct, which is surprising for a Mercedes SUV). Overall, the Macan Turbo feels a tiny bit lighter than the GLC 43 AMG, Porsche surely knows their way around sporty SUV chassis setups. After the Macan though, I think the GLC 43 has the sportiest chassis setup of all same category SUVs (drove a new BMW X4 recently and I like the GLC setup better). Achieved some nice curve speeds with the car, pretty impressive for such a SUV but even in Sport + (both chassis and driving modes), the ESP came on all the time (barely feelable though).

- Burmester sound system sounds like crap (similar to BOSE in the Cayenne), huge disappointment! I guess you get what you pay for (Burmester is under 1k EUR), rumors indicate H&K hardware and a Burmester algorithm (and logos LOL) only. How bad can the standard sound system be? Don't even want to think about it. So yes, Burmester is a MUST if you want to have a somewhat decent sound in the car. Very bad base (thin)!

- Average fuel consumption (city/Autobahn) is around 18 liters / 100 km. Ouch. Better than in our former Macan Turbo though (around 19 liters on average). I drive my cars in the sportiest driving modes though, so this may not be a valid indicator of fuel consumption.

- Very good brake system with firm brake feel (actually feels much better than Cayenne S Diesel brake).

- Trunk is better usable than in the Macan, looks much bigger but you cannot really load up things with too much height. Overall, I think that the GLC trunk is better usable than in the Macan though.

- Rear passenger room is sufficient, my daughter didn't complain.

Conclusion: Amazing little SUV, I love everything about it, with the exception of the engine though. The engine setup just doesn't feel right and the sound is...how to put it...crap. Many seem to like it though but it isn't my cup of tea. Generic V6 biturbo sound, similar to M3/M4 and Macan GTS/Turbo but just a bit quieter maybe (especially compared to the BMWs). I would never ever consider thr GLC without the upcoming V8 Biturbo!

Speaking of the GLC 63 S AMG I plan to get: Mercedes AMG seems to have run into some (development) issues with the car, no GLC 63 AMG before (earliest!) January 2018! I just hope that they already certified the car, exhaust sound (and button) and all... angry 

I will post a few photos of the car as soon as I get to take them.

1504962528707IMG_5968.JPG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Agree to many things you are saying. Like to add:

- Turbo-Gap. Our car has a Brabus Setup which includes both - Engine power increase to 450HP and a Gas-Pedal optimization. Since that the gap is not noticeable anymore. 

- Engine noise. Not sure if your car was equipped with the performance exhaust. It makes hell of a difference. The annoying blurps are only noticeable in Sport+

- Burmester - My opinion: biggest disappointment in any kind of car. Sounds crappy in the C-Class but also in the S-Class. Sounds also bad in any kind of Porsche. People which think that this sound is excellent  either never been sitting in good-sounding car or absolutely don't have any understanding of sound reproduction and hifi-systems. 

Lars997:

- Turbo-Gap. Our car has a Brabus Setup which includes both - Engine power increase to 450HP and a Gas-Pedal optimization. Since that the gap is not noticeable anymore. 

Asked my dealer about Brabus upgrades but it seems it is not possible with the lease. Dealership is factory owned. He will check again once we prepare the lease contract. Brabus is supposed to offer a 600 hp kit for the GLC63 S.

Not sure if I should get the car blindly though, the option for an Edition 1 for May 2018 (I could get one for March but it makes no sense) delivery expires in October, so I need to make a decision. Car is worth 134k (Edition 1, fully loaded), lease rate is 1350 per month (incl. VAT), 10k per year, 36 months, no initial payment, car is brandnew. Not the most amazing offer but the GLC63 seems to be in high demand. Btw: The C63 S AMG Convertible (MSRP 124k EUR) my wife is getting costs exactly HALF the money (lease) compared to a 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS Convertible (MSRP 172k). Unbelievable!

- Engine noise. Not sure if your car was equipped with the performance exhaust. It makes hell of a difference. The annoying blurps are only noticeable in Sport+

Good question: Dealer claims it had sport exhaust but there was no extra button. Will check again Wednesday, when I (hopefully) can pick up the C63.

- Burmester - My opinion: biggest disappointment in any kind of car. Sounds crappy in the C-Class but also in the S-Class. Sounds also bad in any kind of Porsche. People which think that this sound is excellent  either never been sitting in good-sounding car or absolutely don't have any understanding of sound reproduction and hifi-systems. 

Burmester in Porsche cars sounds WAY better than in that GLC43 I drove. No comparison! I will order it but only because I'm afraid the standard sound system is even much crappier!

IMG_5974.JPG

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Asked my dealer about Brabus upgrades but it seems it is not possible with the lease. Dealership is factory owned. He will check again once we prepare the lease contract. Brabus is supposed to offer a 600 hp kit for the GLC63 S.

Not sure if I should get the car blindly though, the option for an Edition 1 for May 2018 (I could get one for March but it makes no sense) delivery expires in October, so I need to make a decision. Car is worth 134k (Edition 1, fully loaded), lease rate is 1350 per month (incl. VAT), 10k per year, 36 months, no initial payment, car is brandnew. Not the most amazing offer but the GLC63 seems to be in high demand. Btw: The C63 S AMG Convertible (MSRP 124k EUR) my wife is getting costs exactly HALF the money (lease) compared to a 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS Convertible (MSRP 172k). Unbelievable!

Quiet frankly - I would not pay 1350 for this car in a month. I think it is way too high, considering that in the past MB every 3 months have "Lease-blow-out-week" where they give the cars away for half the price. Sorry for my french - but I bite my a** - that I bought that C43 last year (not a lease). The offer was quiet good but today you see cars 6 months old for half the price. The loss on value is incredible on those kind of cars. Check the C63 how cheap you can get them. If you can wait then wait half a year longer and buy a factory pre-owned car. I'm sure it will be 40% down.

Good question: Dealer claims it had sport exhaust but there was no extra button. Will check again Wednesday, when I (hopefully) can pick up the C63.

Burmester in Porsche cars sounds WAY better than in that GLC43 I drove. No comparison! I will order it but only because I'm afraid the standard sound system is even much crappier!

Hmm - it might be better in a Porsche but it is no comparison i.e. to that SRT we both owned or to my Bowers Wilkens in my Volvo. And yes - certainly you have to order it as there is no alternative.

That said - German car manufacturers can't build cars with good sounding hifi systems. As you remember - in my old days I was twice German Champion in Car-Hifi and I was 2nd in Europe and even participating in Las Vegas for the world cup (5th). So I have some basic knowledge about how to listen but also how to adjust a car to sound "good".

The reasons I see - the Germans are engineering with their microphones and instruments rather with their ears. I remember my competition days - we tried the same. We had by linearity and just simple frequency models the very best sounding cars but they still sounded crap. What the ear asks for - you can't put on any equalizer. At the end you always have to adjust by ear and not by numbers. But - we Germans are way to number oriented. Everything is optimized by a 1000/ts of a millimeter. Just - this will not work on a hifi-system. 

IMG_5974.JPG

Looks very good. Very understating - thats what I love on the C43 engine. You can't see whats below. BTW - thats my favorite MB color. Wanted to order a GLS in this color, but as you know we ended up with the Swedish car. 

The 1350 EUR per month lease (remember, no initial payment, car is worth 134k EUR) incl.(!) VAT is certainly not a bargain but a good offer. Usually, this lease is around 1700 EUR. The GLC63 is in extremely high demand, car is already sold out for 6 months in Germany. Since the first deliveries won't start before January, most customers will get their cars after summer 2018. I have an (expiring) option for an Edition 1 car for May delivery.

The C63 S AMG Convertible is 1200 EUR per month. Car is worth 124k EUR. Not a bargain but a good offer. Car is brand-new and ordered to specs (like the GLC63, similar specs but without ceramic brakes). Will be delivered around March 2018 (could have it earlier but I don't need it).

I could get at least 20-25% off the MSRP if I order the cars and the dealership registers them to the dealership for two months but to be honest, I'm not sure I want that. Especially with turbo charged cars. I know how people will treat these cars during test drives, so... Smiley Will think about it. If it lowers the lease cost by at least 200 a month, maybe. Otherwise, not worth it.

Of course I could wait another year or so and get much better lease offers but we need the cars early/mid next year, so... Smiley

As to good sound systems in German cars: The B&O sound system in my R8 is amazing. Best I ever heard in any car, I'm not kidding. The new version with headrest speakers is even better because it delivers good base even at low volumes. Second best was the sound system in the Jeep, third was the Burmester in my Panamera Turbo S. The HK system in my Mini JCW is also pretty decent but not great. Better than the BOSE in my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab though. BOSE in my wife's Cayenne S Diesel sounds a bit better than BOSE in my C4 GTS.

--

RC:

The 1350 EUR per month lease (remember, no initial payment, car is worth 134k EUR) incl.(!) VAT is certainly not a bargain but a good offer. Usually, this lease is around 1700 EUR. The GLC63 is in extremely high demand, car is already sold out for 6 months in Germany. Since the first deliveries won't start before January, most customers will get their cars after summer 2018. I have an (expiring) option for an Edition 1 car for May delivery.

The C63 S AMG Convertible is 1200 EUR per month. Car is worth 124k EUR. Not a bargain but a good offer. Car is brand-new and ordered to specs (like the GLC63, similar specs but without ceramic brakes). Will be delivered around March 2018 (could have it earlier but I don't need it).

I could get at least 20-25% off the MSRP if I order the cars and the dealership registers them to the dealership for two months but to be honest, I'm not sure I want that. Especially with turbo charged cars. I know how people will treat these cars during test drives, so... Smiley Will think about it. If it lowers the lease cost by at least 200 a month, maybe. Otherwise, not worth it.

Of course I could wait another year or so and get much better lease offers but we need the cars early/mid next year, so... Smiley

As to good sound systems in German cars: The B&O sound system in my R8 is amazing. Best I ever heard in any car, I'm not kidding. The new version with headrest speakers is even better because it delivers good base even at low volumes. Second best was the sound system in the Jeep, third was the Burmester in my Panamera Turbo S. The HK system in my Mini JCW is also pretty decent but not great. Better than the BOSE in my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab though. BOSE in my wife's Cayenne S Diesel sounds a bit better than BOSE in my C4 GTS.

Like always buddy - the first one pays the bill. Our problem is that we are the early movers and always pay the prime!

B&O in R8 - in that Spyder we had it was not very good. But a Coupe might be a complete different story. Same story here - we are probably too demanding! Smiley

Lars997:
    RC:

Like always buddy - the first one pays the bill. Our problem is that we are the early movers and always pay the prime!

B&O in R8 - in that Spyder we had it was not very good. But a Coupe might be a complete different story. Same story here - we are probably too demanding! Smiley

Unfortunately...yes. Smiley Luckily, I don't get an AMG GT R. Not even a small discount possible (only for very good customers). Funny enough, my dealer has one in stock but apparently it is already sold (just used as a showroom car for a while). I do not believe a word but I am also not interested in the car, so who cares?! Smiley

I will negotiate lease cost further once I decided to get the car (if I get it, C63 S Convertible is 100% sure...my wife really wants it but GLC63? Still not sure, I have a much cheaper Audi RS3 Sedan on my mind as well, would cost only 700 EUR per month, fully loaded incl. ceramic brakes)... Smiley 

The C63 Cab has enough room for short trips with the kids (two smaller luggage pieces fit the trunk nicely if we don't open the roof), so not sure we need the GLC (it is very tempting though, such an engine in a small SUV, 0-100 kph in 3.8 seconds Smiley).

--

I have a C63S coupe. Your friend is right, it isn't great in the wet. Compared to say my M2 or even my previous M4, It feels heavy and cumbersome. It's much more like a muscle car than the precision of a M car. I'm probably going to swap it for a GLC63S. 

WAY:

I have a C63S coupe. Your friend is right, it isn't great in the wet. Compared to say my M2 or even my previous M4, It feels heavy and cumbersome. It's much more like a muscle car than the precision of a M car. I'm probably going to swap it for a GLC63S. 

My wife loves the C class convertible (we had one during our summer trip to Mallorca) and she badly wants one. First, she wanted to buy my 991.1 C4 GTS convertible once the lease expires (next year in April) but the remaining value of the car is still high, it just doesn't make sense for her (it is her "business" car). So she wants a C class convertible now.

She would be happy with a C43 AMG convertible as well but I need to drive her car from time to time too and I just don't want to drive a C43. Smiley 

So she is generous enough to get a C63 instead, so I have some fun too. The question is: Isn't the car too "overwhelming" for her since it has no AWD like the C43? She drove a C63 convertible rental car in Mallorca (well, not for long, someone crashed into it and we got it exchanged for a Diesel Smiley) and she liked it but it wasn't raining, so... Smiley My wife has a nervous throttle foot, so I'm just afraid she might not like how the C63 behaves in rain.

I still don't understand why Mercedes cannot offer AWD in the C63 but I guess it is how it is, can't do anything about it.

--

I can see the attraction of a C63 convertible! And don't get the C43. The 63 just looks so much better with the wider hips! Look, at the end of the day it's a Mercedes. It's not like it's un-controllable in the wet. It is much harder to control if you drive it aggressively but it still feels very stable if you don't try to use all the torque in the wet. Even then, the stability control is there to safe you as long as you don't play with that. In the snow though...

Just out of curiosity, I configured myself a new Cayenne S (440 hp, 6-Zyl. Biturbo).

I didn't even choose PCCB or some special leather/etc. options and ended up with...hold your breath...135k EUR.

The GLC63 S AMG is 134k EUR...Edition 1 model, fully loaded, incl. ceramic brakes.

I won't even talk about the engine differences and the lease cost (Cayenne lease would be much more expensive).

I get it, the GLC is in a different SUV class, size-wise, maybe even quality-wise but still... 

I assume a similar optioned new Cayenne Turbo will be around 165k EUR and the performance won't be better than on the GLC 63 S AMG.

--

How about the new X3M that will probably be here by next year?

WAY:

I can see the attraction of a C63 convertible! And don't get the C43. The 63 just looks so much better with the wider hips! Look, at the end of the day it's a Mercedes. It's not like it's un-controllable in the wet. It is much harder to control if you drive it aggressively but it still feels very stable if you don't try to use all the torque in the wet. Even then, the stability control is there to safe you as long as you don't play with that. In the snow though...

This is why my wife wants me to take the GLC63 S AMG, so we can always swap cars when needed. She wants to have a SUV for snowy days and when she needs a bigger car. I would be perfectly happy with an Audi RS3 Sedan as my daily driver but she hates it. Smiley

The combo (C63/GLC63) also gives us a bit of a (discount) leverage at my Mercedes dealer, so... Smiley

Yes, the C63 convertible looks really nice (and aggressive). Smiley

Of course I could also bigger AMG SUV (like the GLE or even the G class) but she hates them. Smiley For my business, the smaller GLC is also more stealth, which is a good thing.

--

WAY:

I doubt it is going to have a 8-cyl. engine with such a nice sound like the GLC63. Smiley 

Actually, I wonder how long Mercedes will produce the GLC63 because let's be honest here, this is a very unusual combo and environmentally speaking, it makes zero sense (they could easily push a V6 Biturbo to over 600 hp).

--

RC:
    WAY:

I doubt it is going to have a 8-cyl. engine with such a nice sound like the GLC63. Smiley 

Actually, I wonder how long Mercedes will produce the GLC63 because let's be honest here, this is a very unusual combo and environmentally speaking, it makes zero sense (they could easily push a V6 Biturbo to over 600 hp).

V8 is what the brand is known for. They won't remove it on a hurry!

WAY:
    RC:
    WAY:

V8 is what the brand is known for. They won't remove it on a hurry!

True but I kind of have the feeling that the 43 AMG models are a beginning of downsizing the engines in a very clever and "mild" way. I do not think AMG can keep the V8 Biturbo around for a very long time, especially not in the C class and similar sized models. BMW and Audi already moved to 6-cyl. engines, Mercedes will follow. They have no choice.

I have to say I was quite amazed when I first read about the GLC 63. If I could buy it, I would. I doubt we are going to see another SUV of this size with such an engine in the future. Porsche was rumored to offer a newly developed V8 in the Macan but apparently they switched to the ELV route for this car...chances for a V8 are almost zero.

--

WAY:

....And don't get the C43. The 63 just looks so much better with the wider hips! L...

Yes - the C63 looks much much better. But that exactly might be the big plus of the C43. As the little brother is so much more understating Smiley

Has Mercedes fixed their useless digital screen usage around the car? Drives me crazy every time we rent one.

SciFrog:

Has Mercedes fixed their useless digital screen usage around the car? Drives me crazy every time we rent one.

Smiley

--

The huge waste of space in their screens, basically the impossibility to get enough relevant info on one screen. Other manufacturers do it way better.

SciFrog:

The huge waste of space in their screens, basically the impossibility to get enough relevant info on one screen. Other manufacturers do it way better.

Hmm...I don't really know. Smiley The GLC I drove was basically like the Macan or any other car in this class, not much difference. I'm not a fan of that tablet-like display in the middle though but the usability of the navigation/entertainment/info system is quite intuitive, no issues here.

--

Mostly in the dash screen...

Shame every mercedes has a tablet from the nineties on their dash. Can't believe people buy new cars with such monstrosities in plain sight. It's 2017 enlightened

1505154169039IMG_0794.JPG

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Sorry for OT but, there were tablets in the nineties?

It was a figure of speech, for sure you are familiar with it.

You were the guy that compared Tesla fans with ISIS, wasn't  it? 

KresoF1:"Tesla fans are like ISIS members. There is only Tesla for them. No ELV is good or will be good. Only Tesla counts."

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Actually, Tablets existed in the 90s. Here is an example from Toshiba:

AP911:

Actually, Tablets existed in the 90s. Here is an example from Toshiba:

It has a thinner frame than the Mercedes navigation display Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM