Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: delivery date of 997TT is postponed

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Devo,

You sound like an intelligent individual whom has formed strong opinions about tip owners, NY winters and me. I won't disagree with your substantive opinions regarding what auto and transmission packages are better and/or faster. Why ? As you are exercising your personal subjective opinions. However, with all due respect, this individual you are defending called my statement stupid, etc. Without repeating what was stated in his post, it is obvious to me that this person is your friend who you will defend regardless of what I say. Furthermore, you should be aware that I can stoop down as low as is necessary to make my point. Am I vulgar when someone calls me and/or my opinion stupid ? Yes. You can insult my car .....its just a material thing. However, when you attack me personally, when you denigrate my opinion because you disagree, then I will take umbrage and I will turn into an animal. So, if we treat ALL of our opinions with mutual respect, whether we agree or not, we shall get along just fine. If not, that would disappoint me, as I truly enjoy most of the opinions on this board.

Only kidding about the tip tranny. I'm sure you will love your turbo.

gradyex,

I believe the 25 Sailfish had a 9 1/2 foot beam. We fished exclusively in LI Sound and the beam handled the 5-6 swells w/o a problem. My brother was trying to talk me into a used 2650 Express (2000/2001) w/twin 250's for about $50K. I told him that he has to commit to using the boat at least once p/week from April-November and he just can't do it. I dumped the boat (donated it to Heritage for the Blind) in 2004 after using it just 3 times all season. Maybe, someday, I'll get another boat. In any event, it would definitely be a Grady-White. Enjoy your 24 !

devo,

Funny thing is that I really DO want the 6 speed, but when you are stuck on the LIE/BQE/Grand Central/Cross Bronx in 2 hrs. of traffic it eventually grates on you. My last turbo with the stick was a blast. I really can't imagine the new one being any faster. But, I'd rather give up some of the sportiness of the 6 speed and still drive the turbo tip everyday. I'm truly blessed to be able to have the choice and I do not take that for granted. I could get a GT type daily driver for approx. price range (Bentley GT Coupe, SL 65, AMDB9, etc.)but those cars are much heavier than the turbo and, as someone who has driven all of the above, nowhere near as sporty. Bottom line is that I can always dump the tip for a 6 speed if it becomes a major problem. Ask me in 6 months.

I do pretty much the same daily grind, but I'm sticking with a 6 speed, the best 2hrs of my day!

I have a bad back and get pain in my left lower back from depressing a clutch for a long time (f.e. being stuck in traffic). But not with the Turbo ,the clutch is so light I never have pain. If you like/prefer a manual do not let heavy traffic stop you.

Waiting another month for the car of your dreams isn't that bad.

C4S,

I miss the shifting. I don't miss the stop and go, in basically 1st/2nd gear, for hours on end. I don't miss the blown/twisted trannys/synchros/gear shift linkages. I know that I am not a very good stick driver and that my old X-50 did not like the 10K p/yr. of NYC driving I gave it. Each time the car went to the dealer for a new tranny I lost my ride for 4-5 weeks (this happened 3 times in a 36 month period). I loved the car so much I didn't purse a lemon law claim. So I'd say that, for me, the 6 speed is a love/hate relationship, much like my relationship with my wife. Hey, sometimes I want a Victoria Secret model and sometimes I want a Martha Stewart type (almost always the former).

3 trannies in 36 months!! bad luck or are you really that bad a driver LOL!

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    My first impression is that, while you have many posts, you are not a NOW a 997 turbo owner and never will be. My second impression is that you are a jerk who doesn't belong on this listserve. You clearly are a biased Ferrari owner (your avatar says it all). Are you a troll ?

Nick is part of our longtime "inventory", you'll get used to him, he is actually a pretty nice person.
    Sometimes he has some valid points but I have to admit that even for me it is difficult to read his posts all the time and not want to slap him for that.
    Honestly, I don't think he is a troll, I think he is just a Ferrari owner who actually would want a Porsche but doesn't buy one because it isn't exclusive enough for him.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    My first impression is that, while you have many posts, you are not a NOW a 997 turbo owner and never will be. My second impression is that you are a jerk who doesn't belong on this listserve. You clearly are a biased Ferrari owner (your avatar says it all). Are you a troll ?

Nick is part of our longtime "inventory", you'll get used to him, he is actually a pretty nice person.
    Sometimes he has some valid points but I have to admit that even for me it is difficult to read his posts all the time and not want to slap him for that.
    Honestly, I don't think he is a troll, I think he is just a Ferrari owner who actually would want a Porsche but doesn't buy one because it isn't exclusive enough for him.

Well said.

And you should never judge someone by his avatar only BTW...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    tortesq1 said:

Well said.

And you should never judge someone by his avatar only BTW...

I agree with both of you!

Actually, I like Nick a lot!

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Don't mind nberry, he thinks he's above every single one of us here because he has a Ferrari, more than likely even the Ferrari guys can't stand him and don't welcome him at all, hence he's still here. If we kick him out there won't be anywhere else for him to go but sit in his toilet facing 4 blank walls. WE are doing the world a great service by allowing him to amuse us every now and then with his childish comments and remarks.

Yep, just one of those services that Rennteamers provide in an otherwise sick world.

Excuse me, I think I need to go polish my halo.

PS: I hate to be a pedant, but he's going to be in that toilet a long time if it has four blank walls and no door.

PPS: Hmmm. If I were to be honest about it, I actually enjoy being a pedant.

Commute from Great Neck to Yonkers everyday. Took this pic yesterday of the Saw Mill RIVER Parkway.

ps: Nick is a good guy, you guys just got off on the wrong foot.

Yonkers PD has a H1?

chrisNY,

Apparently, at least according to ALL whom have driven with me, I'm NOT a good driver (w/a 6speed or slushbox) ! I think Porsche NA called it "pilot error" and then covered the trannys under warranty. Thankfully my wife won't let me get my pilots license.

RC,

I'm damn proud to be getting another Turbo, particularly the tip. My neighbors have all sorts of nice cars. One of them has a beautiful 05 F430 Spyder with maybe 500 miles on it. He drives it on a rare Sunday with no precip. and only Sun out. Personally, I don't get it ! Why wait for literally years to get your fantasy car and then not drive it everyday ? For me the turbo is not a financial investment, its an emotional investment. Its what motivates me to get up at 6 AM every single day. It gives me a reason to get excited about my day and its something I want to be doing each and everyday, rain or shine, cold or hot. Sure I work hard to earn a living for my wife and 3 daughters, but the turbo, thats for ME. Like I said, I damn proud to be getting a 997TT Tip and I won't let nberry bring me down. I do not relate to or understand the feelings of inadequacy one must have driving a F430 Spyder - its a fantastic car, possibly the best looking and sounding car ever made, regardless of price. That being said, there is no rational basis why a 997TT hater should be on this board anymore so than a 997 TT owner who hates the ZO6 should be on a Vette board. But, that not my decision to make.......

Stradale,

Holy s..t ! My brother lives in Armonk and he said that my neice and nephew had no school yesterday. I didn't know it was so bad.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    chrisNY,

Apparently, at least according to ALL whom have driven with me, I'm NOT a good driver (w/a 6speed or slushbox) ! I think Porsche NA called it "pilot error" and then covered the trannys under warranty. Thankfully my wife won't let me get my pilots license.

What was the nature of the transmission failures? I could understand 3 clutch plates, but replacing 3 entire transmissions,sounds like a mechanical fault...unless one grinds the gears repeatedly and I'm not suggesting thats the case. What did porsche find?

But yours look so much better than his.........

RC is so right, in the short time here I learned to live with that "defective part" already, he's like a rusted out light switch, a couple slaps now and then and it's as good as new.

LoranTW,

First 2 involved the synchros and 3rd time involved a twisted gear shift linkage. The X50 would redline at 6600 rpm and I would wind the car out accelerating AND downshifting. The Porsche people DID say that there was a problem with the synchros in the first 2 gears and the gear shift linkage. The synchro problem apparently struck many aggressive X50 owners and the factory sucked up the replacement trannys (put in new $20K trannys in lieu of parts replacement). The gear shift linkage problem was customarily addressed by installing a strong aftermarket kit (ie. a B&M shifter w/proper billet material). All 3 times Porsche NA computer tested my car to ascertain whether the car was raced (which it never was, at least on a track) or abused such that the vehicle would need/needed a new clutch (I never dropped the clutch - w/AWD car was slower or seemed slower when attempting to drop clutch as opposed to slowly feeding out the clutch). So, Porsche determined the car was not being abused in the traditional sense, that is until the service manager took a ride with me. He thought I was nuts, basically smashing the transmission into each gear, not allowing the clutch time to engage. He recommended that I dump the X50 6speed and get an 360 Modena (this was in 03 and 04 pre F430). I drove a couple of friends Modenas, but was unimpressed with the power, so I stuck with the TT. Now you know why I ordered a tip. There really was no other choice - unless you can street legalize a 500 hp GT3RSR Cup car and add a back seat and AWD ! Not likely in my lifetime. By the time I really learn how to drive the tip (I'd say 5 years) I'm sure our friends in Germany will release the PDK version of the TT so I can start the learning process all over again.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    LoranTW,

First 2 involved the synchros and 3rd time involved a twisted gear shift linkage. The X50 would redline at 6600 rpm and I would wind the car out accelerating AND downshifting. The Porsche people DID say that there was a problem with the synchros in the first 2 gears and the gear shift linkage. The synchro problem apparently struck many aggressive X50 owners and the factory sucked up the replacement trannys (put in new $20K trannys in lieu of parts replacement). The gear shift linkage problem was customarily addressed by installing a strong aftermarket kit (ie. a B&M shifter w/proper billet material). All 3 times Porsche NA computer tested my car to ascertain whether the car was raced (which it never was, at least on a track) or abused such that the vehicle would need/needed a new clutch (I never dropped the clutch - w/AWD car was slower or seemed slower when attempting to drop clutch as opposed to slowly feeding out the clutch). So, Porsche determined the car was not being abused in the traditional sense, that is until the service manager took a ride with me. He thought I was nuts, basically smashing the transmission into each gear, not allowing the clutch time to engage. He recommended that I dump the X50 6speed and get an 360 Modena (this was in 03 and 04 pre F430). I drove a couple of friends Modenas, but was unimpressed with the power, so I stuck with the TT. Now you know why I ordered a tip. There really was no other choice - unless you can street legalize a 500 hp GT3RSR Cup car and add a back seat and AWD ! Not likely in my lifetime. By the time I really learn how to drive the tip (I'd say 5 years) I'm sure our friends in Germany will release the PDK version of the TT so I can start the learning process all over again.

Thats too funny...the service manager must have gone anemic

He wasn't happy with me - basically turned a very pale white on a ride along with me (and he was former hardcore cup racer type). I knew I was in trouble when he told me that you need to use the clutch when you double clutch. I told him I was using the clutch, but that b/c the tranny wouldn't do what I wanted WHEN I wanted it to that IT had an attitude problem. He also said that I was one of only 2 X50 6 speed true daily drivers in the metro area (that they sold) and that the car wasn't designed to accomodate my, I think he said "slash and burn" (maybe it was crash and burn), driving style. I never believed a word the service manager said, except that my driving skills would serve me extremely well with a sequential gearbox.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    He wasn't happy with me - basically turned a very pale white on a ride along with me (and he was former hardcore cup racer type). I knew I was in trouble when he told me that you need to use the clutch when you double clutch. I told him I was using the clutch, but that b/c the tranny wouldn't do what I wanted WHEN I wanted it to that IT had an attitude problem. He also said that I was one of only 2 X50 6 speed true daily drivers in the metro area (that they sold) and that the car wasn't designed to accomodate my, I think he said "slash and burn" (maybe it was crash and burn), driving style. I never believed a word the service manager said, except that my driving skills would serve me extremely well with a sequential gearbox.

You should be a comedy writer

lol, how did you learn to shift like that in the first place?

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    gradyex,

I believe the 25 Sailfish had a 9 1/2 foot beam. We fished exclusively in LI Sound and the beam handled the 5-6 swells w/o a problem. My brother was trying to talk me into a used 2650 Express (2000/2001) w/twin 250's for about $50K. I told him that he has to commit to using the boat at least once p/week from April-November and he just can't do it. I dumped the boat (donated it to Heritage for the Blind) in 2004 after using it just 3 times all season. Maybe, someday, I'll get another boat. In any event, it would definitely be a Grady-White. Enjoy your 24 !

I used gradyex as my main user name/email address long ago because "grady" was already taken......I'm not Irish either (Italian)..so everybody asks me why do you call yourself gradyex? Well, now you have the answer! ...........and now back to the thread...............

Good question. Self taught, but with a very modest amount of "professional" help. I always drive faster than the car can shift with a manual tranny. To me the stick transmission is a means to an end - IMHO, the control one has with the manual tranny is an illusion. Even the "pros" helped to educate me that people like me (questionable skills, but crazy) are almost always faster when I do NOT have to shift (not good at it, waste of time, loss of/lack of concentration and focus, etc.). I even did the Skip Barber thing a couple of times at Lime Rock, was on the instructors asses around the whole track (driving I think the 4 speed formulas). Had the best times, but all instructors deemed me reckless. So, to the tip I go. I wonder if Porsche NA has already preordered a couple of trannys for me - its inevitable. I already PM Todd at EVO to start working on a stronger tip tranny ....waiting to hear back from him.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Good question. Self taught, but with a very modest amount of "professional" help. I always drive faster than the car can shift with a manual tranny. To me the stick transmission is a means to an end - IMHO, the control one has with the manual tranny is an illusion. Even the "pros" helped to educate me that people like me (questionable skills, but crazy) are almost always faster when I do NOT have to shift (not good at it, waste of time, loss of/lack of concentration and focus, etc.). I even did the Skip Barber thing a couple of times at Lime Rock, was on the instructors asses around the whole track (driving I think the 4 speed formulas). Had the best times, but all instructors deemed me reckless. So, to the tip I go. I wonder if Porsche NA has already preordered a couple of trannys for me - its inevitable. I already PM Todd at EVO to start working on a stronger tip tranny ....waiting to hear back from him.

At least you were fast though!

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Stradale,

Holy s..t ! My brother lives in Armonk and he said that my neice and nephew had no school yesterday. I didn't know it was so bad.

Ditto!!!

Just drove by there last Saturday. Well, after almost 9 inches of rain, what can you expect?

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Stradale,

Yeah, Monday am was crazy.

mp,
    How bout a pic of your HD.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781697 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442781 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263456 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85950 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5981 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881619 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819490 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM