Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chances of finding a GT3 RS in North America?

Well, what do you guys think? Asked around a little, from what I've found, I should've ordered one a long time ago, too bad it wasn't possible for me to do so at the time.....

Any thoughts or know where one might be hiding?

cheers.

Re: Chances of finding a GT3 RS in North America?

Quote:
    zeroHero said:
    Well, what do you guys think? Asked around a little, from what I've found, I should've ordered one a long time ago, too bad it wasn't possible for me to do so at the time.....

cheers.

This is from Sport Auto supertest of the RS as posted by Eric on sixspeed.

"Nordscleife: 7:48

0-100 km/h in 4.3 secs.
    0-120 km/h in 5.6 secs.
    0-140 km/h in 7.5 secs.
    0-160 km/h in 9.2 secs.
    0-180 km/h in 11.1 secs.
    0-200 km/h in 14.0 secs.

verdict:
    the RS doesn't outperform the GT3 but what else did you expect?
    Both come with the same engine, except of the fly wheel, even though Porsche made some efforts to close the gap between a super sports car and a street-legal race car, it takes an experienced driver to discover the slight difference between these two. The driving dynamic of the GT3 RS is unbeatable with 77 pts it scores the hishest points in the sport auto Supertest ever, same as the GT3"

So why would you want one for the almost $20,000 more? If you like the big wing on the back, there is a vendor now selling and installing them for about $5000.Save yourself money and enormous depreciation and get the GT3 and install the silly big wing.

I work for Champion... and just about every other day we have people calling and offering $50K over to get one... so I think it'll be pretty tough.

Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    I work for Champion... and just about every other day we have people calling and offering $50K over to get one... so I think it'll be pretty tough.

People paid $100K for the $55K 1990 NSX and $100K for the $55K 1990 Corvette ZR1, to be the first on the block. The first 996 Turbos resold for $50K over MRSP in 2001 , but the 997 Turbo has had no where the same resale demand , and there are many known reasons for that.

I think the GT3RS will have less depreciation than the GT3 because it will have no sunroof, appeal to purists and poseurs alike, be widebody, and produced in very imited numbers. That should compensate for part of the increased price for sure.

As for getting your hands on one - I saw one advertised in the latest Robb report. I would try eBay and such b/c you're not going to be able to walk into a dealer and get one.

For that reason alone, it might be worthwhile getting your mind used to the idea of a GT3 . . .

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    I think the GT3RS will have less depreciation than the GT3 because it will have no sunroof, appeal to purists and poseurs alike, be widebody, and produced in very imited numbers. That should compensate for part of the increased price for sure.

As for getting your hands on one - I saw one advertised in the latest Robb report. I would try eBay and such b/c you're not going to be able to walk into a dealer and get one.

For that reason alone, it might be worthwhile getting your mind used to the idea of a GT3 . . .

Two are available. One at Mckenna Porsche and one at beverly hills porsche. Asking 50k over sticker.

zeroHero,

Here you go. It is pricey but available!

http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/inventory.asp

Porsche 911 GT 3 RS one of the last ones built
    delivery miles
    One of the last ones to be built here is a brand new July build of a 2007 GT 3 RS coupe finished in orange with a black full leather interior with contrasting black painted side mirrors, black painted rear spoiler and black painted side Carrera script and lower splash panels in black. This GT 3 RS coupe is a lightweight version of the new GT 3 coupe featuring a 3.8 litre engine putting out 415 brake horsepower mated to a special close ratio 6 speed gear box. The car is heavily optioned with an all leather interior with deviating stitching in orange, dash board and doors in black leather with deviating orange stitching, console in special black leather with deviating orange stitching , door handles in deviating stitching, side center console in deviating stitching, rear side panels in deviating stitching, seat switch in deviating stitching, Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB), special GT 3 wheels painted in black, head light washers, chrome package, module for Telephone, PCM Navigation , storage compartment with GT 3 RS logo in leather, Bi Xenon head maps, thicker steering wheel in leather, foot rest in aluminum and special carbon fiber door sills with illuminated GT 3 RS script. Car comes with an open MSO, all books, delivery records, a window sticker of $145550.00. This will among the last few 2007 GT 3 RS lightweight coupes ever built. Serious inquiries only........$225,000.00 will buy this car

At MSRP, too late for that. They might make some 08, but if you are not on a list already, probably too late even if they make them.

GT3 RS looks much better and more agressive than regular GT3s. In Porsche world, that's worth 10K already. Combined with all the goodies, the RS is a good deal at MSRP vs the GT3 if you can find one. A true Porsche. Sure it won't be much faster than a regular GT3, it is in essence the same car with (possibly?) a better suspension setup. No surprise there.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    At MSRP, too late for that. They might make some 08, but if you are not on a list already, probably too late even if they make them.

GT3 RS looks much better and more agressive than regular GT3s. In Porsche world, that's worth 10K already. Combined with all the goodies, the RS is a good deal at MSRP vs the GT3 if you can find one. A true Porsche. Sure it won't be much faster than a regular GT3, it is in essence the same car with (possibly?) a better suspension setup. No surprise there.

yeah, i think the rs will become a future classic!

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:

People paid $100K for the $55K 1990 NSX and $100K for the $55K 1990 Corvette ZR1, to be the first on the block. The first 996 Turbos resold for $50K over MRSP in 2001 , but the 997 Turbo has had no where the same resale demand , and there are many known reasons for that.

People pay over stick for Toyota Prius' as well...
    I don't think we're talking about 997 turbos...

Thanks you guys so much, found a couple but asking 50k - 70k over sticker! LOL

The car will be a classic though, at least in my opinion, I guess the age old adage, "Buy low, sell high" still rings true.

A classic? What are you guy's smoking? It is a GT3 with same performance with a different suspension, marginally wider and a big silly wing on the back. The only classic character to the RS is its premium over MSRP. The poor chump that paid a premium will rue the day especially if Porsche builds a 2008 model.

The say a sucker is born every minute but when it involves Porsches it is every 30 seconds.

It's so hard to predict what will be a "classic" - there mare many intangibles and unpredictables. Having said that, the 997 GT3RS does have that potential, no matter what Nick says.

Most of the "classic" Porsches cost significantly more than their less unique counterparts. The 72RS is a nice example of that. There is a premium to be paid up front.

If you want one, and you want to buy low and sell high, the best bet is to wait a few years (like 10-20) and get one after it has depreciated. (The problem at that point is that your attention is usually on the faster and better new models.) Then you just hope it will one day go up in value.

If you can afford one now, then go for it, because it is surely a fantastic track car.

On the other hand, if you can afford one now, maybe you should wait 5-10 years and get a Carrera GT . . .

Quote:
    nberry said:
    A classic? What are you guy's smoking? It is a GT3 with same performance with a different suspension, marginally wider and a big silly wing on the back. The only classic character to the RS is its premium over MSRP. The poor chump that paid a premium will rue the day especially if Porsche builds a 2008 model.

The say a sucker is born every minute but when it involves Porsches it is every 30 seconds.

But it looks much better than a regular GT3.

Mr. Berry only ever writes on Porsche forums to lash out on the RS. I think he's just angry 'cause he doesn't have one. Ignore him and he usually goes away.

One was listed in March 2007 PORSCHE PANORAMA, $200,000. email: wmsuhosky@msn.com

GT3 RS

try www.themotorsportsgallery.com the owner has (5) GT3 RS. He's sold at least one of them. I sold him one of my cars and he has (2) GT3s as well. He's taken me for rides in both and I am amazed at how much quicker the GT3 RS revs compared to the GT3...must be that flywheel.

Re: GT3 RS

From PCNA there will be 100 2008 GT3RSs. I know this is a heated debate, but on Saturday the word from the PCNA district sales rep went from "maybe" (i.e. over the past 4 mos. PCNA has not confirmed nor denited 08 cars) to "absolutely".

The extra 100 should make finding one a bit easier and perhaps knock down the ridiculous markups a bit.

Quote:
    frayed said:
    From PCNA there will be 100 2008 GT3RSs. I know this is a heated debate, but on Saturday the word from the PCNA district sales rep went from "maybe" (i.e. over the past 4 mos. PCNA has not confirmed nor denited 08 cars) to "absolutely".

The extra 100 should make finding one a bit easier and perhaps knock down the ridiculous markups a bit.

Just spoke to Fleet mananger at Beverly Hills Porsche. And he told me that a decision on 2008 GT3 RS has not been made yet. Where did you get this info, I would like to look it up?

Well, you can't really look it up. I would classify it as a reliable leak.

Don't fret too much, but I'd approach the RS issue as potentially a number of dealers getting cars. I'd also bet that those dealers lacking strong relationships with PCNA will be the last to know.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    zeroHero said:

cheers.

This is from Sport Auto supertest of the RS as posted by Eric on sixspeed.

"Nordscleife: 7:48

0-100 km/h in 4.3 secs.
    0-120 km/h in 5.6 secs.
    0-140 km/h in 7.5 secs.
    0-160 km/h in 9.2 secs.
    0-180 km/h in 11.1 secs.
    0-200 km/h in 14.0 secs.

verdict:
    the RS doesn't outperform the GT3 but what else did you expect?
    Both come with the same engine, except of the fly wheel, even though Porsche made some efforts to close the gap between a super sports car and a street-legal race car, it takes an experienced driver to discover the slight difference between these two. The driving dynamic of the GT3 RS is unbeatable with 77 pts it scores the hishest points in the sport auto Supertest ever, same as the GT3"

So why would you want one for the almost $20,000 more? If you like the big wing on the back, there is a vendor now selling and installing them for about $5000.Save yourself money and enormous depreciation and get the GT3 and install the silly big wing.

Enormous depreciation? How do you know? The GT3 has some of the best depreciation (i.e. low) of Porsche models and I personally expect the depreciation of the GT3RS to be even better. Silly big wing? It's fully functional, just like what you see on cars on the track. Nick, you continue to prove you have no understanding of Porsche's line up of cars and their intended purpose. That's why you make silly complaints like about the 997TT not being "raw" when that was never what Porsche intended. The purpose of the GT3RS is to be a track/street car. That wing is entirely appropriate for that intended purpose. Understand that. What's silly is the F430 Spider's humps and roll hoops.

Nick, I strongly urge you to seriously put some thought in the Porsche model you intend to criticize before you post. Understand the intended purpose for the particular Porsche model before you criticize it, otherwise you look completely clueless as in this latest post of yours.

David

I tend to agree with David.
    In any case, I am trying to configure mine... prolly will be black... anyone got pics of black RS? which color combinations are best for the black?

Quote:
    nberry said:

The sucker is the one who falls for Ferrari's marketing trick of producing cars in low enough volume that they can sell even though they look like crap (except for the 599). The biggest sucker are those paying a whopping $200k for one of the worst looking Ferraris of all time, the F430 Spider, with its hideous front bumper, cheap roll hoops, ugly humps, "boy racer" rear diffuser, "rice"/tacky clear engine cover with the "Godzilla" vents on the sides. Now that's a sucker! Better to pay 50% less and get the GT3RS, albeit not a convertible, which will get you the same looks (if that's important to you) and give you the same amount of driving fun!

David

Quote:
    mvn1971 said:
    Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

Two are available. One at Mckenna Porsche and one at beverly hills porsche. Asking 50k over sticker.

LOL... so Porsche takes advantage of the Ferrari-esque scheme when possible. I hope the ones who love to call it a 'ponzi' scheme read this.

Quote:
    frayed said:
    Well, you can't really look it up. I would classify it as a reliable leak.

Don't fret too much, but I'd approach the RS issue as potentially a number of dealers getting cars. I'd also bet that those dealers lacking strong relationships with PCNA will be the last to know.

I wouldn't say that. This is fleet manager of 2nd largest porsche dealership in US, behind Champion. They were alotted with 8-9 2007 RS. This guys got the connections. Putting hold on my C4S for now. Waiting to hear further information. It would only makes sense that porsche makes the 2008 RS. They love making money.

David SF said

Quote:
    What's silly is the F430 Spider's humps and roll hoops.

Dont forget its huge nostrils

Even if 100 come to the states in '08, that still will not put a dent in the demand for one of these cars. We still have a longer wait list than the number of cars we'll ever see...

They have to build more than 100 08s.

The allocations for 08 RS's will be the same numbers as the 07's. As to the sourse, before you ask, similar to frayeds above.
    Rich

Pretty sure its 100 and thats it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781385 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442698 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263415 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261768 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85886 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881527 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819237 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM