Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

I had a quick encounter with a 570S last night in my F12 and the only thing I can think of is, did mclaren re-invent the mute button on v8 turbo engines ? It was a lot worse than the sound of a vacuum cleaner, more like a hair dryer set to the highest speed  heart the only way for me to get to hear his exhaust note was to slow down and shift into Neutral angry

The car looks a lot better than all the photos you see online, but don't get fooled by youtube videos, because you'll be disappointed big time if you like the sound of these cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68m7cvecZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9O016x37tI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHgHTdHuSUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGC_yggCHI

BiTurbo:

I had a quick encounter with a 570S last night in my F12 and the only thing I can think of is, did mclaren re-invent the mute button on v8 turbo engines ? It was a lot worse than the sound of a vacuum cleaner, more like a hair dryer set to the highest speed  heart the only way for me to get to hear his exhaust note was to slow down and shift into Neutral angry

The car looks a lot better than all the photos you see online, but don't get fooled by youtube videos, because you'll be disappointed big time if you like the sound of these cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68m7cvecZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9O016x37tI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHgHTdHuSUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGC_yggCHI

The 997 GT3 RS sounds good.

The F12 sounds great, the driver is an asshole.

The Aventador sounds great as well, the driver is a lunatic.

And I really like the Performante. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Just funny how the kids on foot keep up in city traffic. 

0-60 in 2.6s on standard Pzeros spinning. Crazy performance. 2.6s on those tires for a RWD car is pretty impressive. Amazing what modern day TC has done.

"will go 9's, no question about it.... 10.1 in 2,100 DA with non corsa tires, spinning at 60 MPH and the car was super heat soaked, dash indicated 107 degrees..."

The difference between a fast car and a 720S.

noone1:

But the bull sounds so much nicer. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    noone1:

What a pity that one can not hear it from the 720s with all the distance between the cars Smiley

MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    noone1:

What a pity that one can not hear it from the 720s with all the distance between the cars Smiley

They will hear it passing by when they stand still in the parking lane after they got speed trapped. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    noone1:

That's perfect though. NA cars sound 10x better to people on the street than they do to people inside them, so the 720S gets the speed of the 720 and the exhaust sound of the Huracan. Would you rather live in an ugly house and live across from a beautiful one, or live in a beautiful one and have to look at an ugly one every day? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXENE8Do3U

MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    noone1:

The Huracan had a bad start, from 0-140 kph, it is a car hard to beat for the 720 S. Smiley

Also, have you heard about that miraculous power loss of the 720S when it is very hot? Smiley Which brings me back to my earlier (conspiracy) theory that McLaren uses all "tricks" in the engineering book to achieve record acceleration numbers (under ideal conditions).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    noone1:

The Huracan had a bad start, from 0-140 kph, it is a car hard to beat for the 720 S. Smiley

Also, have you heard about that miraculous power loss of the 720S when it is very hot? Smiley Which brings me back to my earlier (conspiracy) theory that McLaren uses all "tricks" in the engineering book to achieve record acceleration numbers (under ideal conditions).

You can bet: beyond 140kph there is even less of a chance for a car like the Huracan...

Over 160 kph, I stand no chance against a 720S, 650S... surprise We already tried. Surprisingly, I can keep up with the 488 Spider quite well up to 200 kph. yes

McLarens are extremely fast over 160 kph and over 200 kph, no chance to keep up. Similar to 918. indecision laugh

Does it matter for me? Not a bit. The sound and emotions created with a n/a V10 are just unmatched.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Also, have you heard about that miraculous power loss of the 720S when it is very hotSmiley Which brings me back to my earlier (conspiracy) theory that McLaren uses all "tricks" in the engineering book to achieve record acceleration numbers (under ideal conditions).

Haven't McLaren's overheated during supertests Smiley Smiley

Both thermostats and the oil sending unit have been replaced. I just did 2 days at Mid Ohio. No problems on the first day but when I drove the car hard on the second day the oil temp still went red. Car is going back for the third time to try to find and fix the problem.

720S hard drivin..... Smiley

For occasional hard driving, the current crop of turbo V8s are fine cooling wise, the 488 is pushing just about 170HP per litre and the 720S is doing 180HP per litre.

But for sustained hard driving, they will all overheat. Those cars are simply not designed to be stressed for a prolonged period of time. Just like a Tesla can do amazing drag runs a couple times in a row but it cannot do it all day like a say 911 Turbo S the can do 0-something hard launches 100+ times in a row without breaking.

One reason why Porsche took off HP in the GT2RS and added water injection cooling to it. It is pushing 184HP per litre, slightly more than the McLaren, but Porsche know their customers will be running their car hard, very hard, hell they test their own cars hard too. Porsche have a bulletproof reputation on the track. Go to any track days, most cars running will be Porsches, and these will be the cars that keep on running all day without problems. The other also-ran likely won't last the whole day, either brake problems, overheating or broken parts. 

On my track, the Corvettes and Vipers will have their hood up to vent the engine after every 20 mins sessions, some can't even last the whole session. The Bimmers would have electronic issues, the Nissan GTR will have heat issues before the end of the sessions and Mercedes will have brake problems. The McLarens would overheat and go into limp mode. My own Ferrari's brake pads can't last a whole day, and the brake fluid in the Lambo is not up to par, it was fresh new fill from annual service and they still boil and pedal went soft and all the way down after only running in the morning. My track is pretty much a torture chamber that separate the men from the boys. Summer time it's 34+ degrees every day with asphalt temperature above 50 degrees, with very high speed straights and heavy braking for the slow corners. 

Hell GM already booked to come back and test their cars after they did the launch of the Camaro ZL1 1LE. They were that impressed. 

--

Whoopsy:

One reason why Porsche took off HP in the GT2RS and added water injection cooling to it. It is pushing 184HP per litre, slightly more than the McLaren, but Porsche know their customers will be running their car hard, very hard, hell they test their own cars hard too.

Not really fair to call the GT2RS's system "water injection" (this implies a system where water is injected internally into the cylinders or intake manifold like fuel, as per the BMW M4 GTS).  Simply an external intercooler sprayer, right?  This is easy to add to any car (with an additional windshield washer nozzle - as done in Subarus and Mitsubishis).

But I agree that the GT2RS likely can run all day at the track like most Porsches - they really are meant for this use more than most.

Your track looks great

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

One reason why Porsche took off HP in the GT2RS and added water injection cooling to it. It is pushing 184HP per litre, slightly more than the McLaren, but Porsche know their customers will be running their car hard, very hard, hell they test their own cars hard too.

Not really fair to call the GT2RS's system "water injection" (this implies a system where water is injected internally into the cylinders or intake manifold like fuel, as per the BMW M4 GTS).  Simply an external intercooler sprayer, right?  This is easy to add to any car (with an additional windshield washer nozzle - as done in Subarus and Mitsubishis).

But I agree that the GT2RS likely can run all day at the track like most Porsches - they really are meant for this use more than most.

Your track looks great

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Yes you are correct, I used the the wrong term/word. External water sprayer for the intercoolers. And it only runs part time, engaged only when the ECU deemed the intake temperature too high. 

Per Weissach, the water tank is 5 litres and can last 3 laps on the Ring on a really hot day.

--

Whoopsy:
    Per Weissach, the water tank is 5 litres and can last 3 laps on the Ring on a really hot day.

That sounds short, but 40 miles is plenty of track time between stops.

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

We did grilled them about the short run time at Goodwood. 

But they haven't disclose the temperature threshold for the water system to kick in. They just say above a certain temperature. So in theory, if someone is running the car in nice weather, the water may not be needed. Or perhaps towards the end of a track day where the car is getting serious heat soaked. 

So the run time is pretty much temperature dependant. I can certainly see it last the whole 20 min session in my track even on a really hot summer day. Probably can last a 30 min session also. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

We did grilled them about the short run time at Goodwood. 

But they haven't disclose the temperature threshold for the water system to kick in. They just say above a certain temperature. So in theory, if someone is running the car in nice weather, the water may not be needed. Or perhaps towards the end of a track day where the car is getting serious heat soaked. 

So the run time is pretty much temperature dependant. I can certainly see it last the whole 20 min session in my track even on a really hot summer day. Probably can last a 30 min session also. 

Yeah, 40 miles at my track is over 30 minutes (slow track)

--

Whoopsy:

For occasional hard driving, the current crop of turbo V8s are fine cooling wise, the 488 is pushing just about 170HP per litre and the 720S is doing 180HP per litre.

But for sustained hard driving, they will all overheat. Those cars are simply not designed to be stressed for a prolonged period of time. Just like a Tesla can do amazing drag runs a couple times in a row but it cannot do it all day like a say 911 Turbo S the can do 0-something hard launches 100+ times in a row without breaking.

One reason why Porsche took off HP in the GT2RS and added water injection cooling to it. It is pushing 184HP per litre, slightly more than the McLaren, but Porsche know their customers will be running their car hard, very hard, hell they test their own cars hard too. Porsche have a bulletproof reputation on the track. Go to any track days, most cars running will be Porsches, and these will be the cars that keep on running all day without problems. The other also-ran likely won't last the whole day, either brake problems, overheating or broken parts. 

On my track, the Corvettes and Vipers will have their hood up to vent the engine after every 20 mins sessions, some can't even last the whole session. The Bimmers would have electronic issues, the Nissan GTR will have heat issues before the end of the sessions and Mercedes will have brake problems. The McLarens would overheat and go into limp mode. My own Ferrari's brake pads can't last a whole day, and the brake fluid in the Lambo is not up to par, it was fresh new fill from annual service and they still boil and pedal went soft and all the way down after only running in the morning. My track is pretty much a torture chamber that separate the men from the boys. Summer time it's 34+ degrees every day with asphalt temperature above 50 degrees, with very high speed straights and heavy braking for the slow corners. 

Hell GM already booked to come back and test their cars after they did the launch of the Camaro ZL1 1LE. They were that impressed. 

There is no indication that any of the above cars aside from maybe the Z06 has any overheating problems on track days.

noone1:
    Whoopsy:

There is no indication that any of the above cars aside from maybe the Z06 has any overheating problems on track days.

Argue all you want, I see them everyday at the track. 

--

Strangely you're the only one that claims it also.

Vipers and Corvettes are both notorious for running hot and needing those big hoods propped up. Then again a lot of really modded 944 turbos need that too. Why you don't see the vipers with the hoods up after each track session is because they are usually on a flatbed with a crowd around it looking at the damage... 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

noone1:

Strangely you're the only one that claims it also.

Online community is only a tiny fraction of real world people. Are you one of those that believe if it's on the internet it has to be true?Smiley

Every track day at my track there is an average of 15-20 cars of various makes. The past few months at my track it's 34 degrees every day, After lunch there will only be Porsches left running, everything else are parked at the paddock.

Are those guys the Internet forum type? Nope. Their car overheated, so they parked it and wait. They don't open their laptops and post them to forums. 

I see them will my real eyes every day at the track while you only read what is posted. That's the big difference dude.

--

I'll just go ask the guy on McLaren Life. He's a McLaren GT driver and has just about every car under the sun. If he confirms McLarens have problems overheating on the track, I'll gladly take what you say as true.

As of now, you're the only one saying it and it's the first I heard of it.

I'd point out that cooking the brakes isn't necessarily indicative of a brake problem. It could very well just be someone who has to use the brakes way more than would normally be necessary.

Asking McLaren Life.

The bunch that wears a McLaren tinted glasses and swear the whole world is against their beloved McLarens when something bad is mentioned anywhere in the world?

Alex West is part of our 918 owners group, if that's the one you are thinking about asking smiley

Last time the local McLaren dealer had their corporate day, about 36 cars showed up, one ended up on a trailer back to Vancouver, 3 mores were parked due to overheating. They are heading back end of the month on the 29th, bringing with them a BAC Mono also for test drives. I will be there a couple days before as it is open track day, I will count again how many broke. 

So are you talking about me don't know how to drive and cook the brakes on the Ferrari and Lambo now? 

FYI, on our long straight, the 918 need to slow from about 260+km/hr down to around 120-130km/hr, the F12 need to go down from about 240-250/hr, Huracan at 230km/hr, Modded Vettes will be between 230-240km/hr, the ACRs are also in this range, the Clubsport only tops out at around 210-220 but it only need to slow down to ~140km/hr. As for other parts of the track, the heaviest braking zones will be for cars to shed over 100km/hr in 3 other corners, a couple more where they need to shed between 70-90km/hr. You will be he judge then if you think you know so much if my track is demanding on brakes or not. 

--

Yeah, so just go ask Alex if McLarens overheat. He would know.

No, I wasn't talking about you, but just in general many people who have exotics at track days. Usually the people with the turn-key exotics have the least experience on the track.

And we did talked about that. I have another friend, Chris Green, that races the McLaren GT4 in the Continental Series also.

One reason why the 570 GT4 race cars have an extra radiator front and centre. bet you didn't know that.

--

Well, a race car isn't a road car, and a race isn't a track day.

I don't doubt that all these road cars can overheat on 95F days. I probably wouldn't even want to track a car in 95F anyway.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689469 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409163 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255710 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857930 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773978 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM