Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SLR Supertest

0-100: 3,9 sec
    0-200: 11,1 sec

200-0: 4,7 sec

brakes: 11.0 - 11.7 m/s2

NS: 7.52
    HH: 1.13,5

weight: 1747 kg
    consumption: 21,8 l/100km (to whom it concerns )

Re: SLR Supertest

Imagine the shame at the Mclaren factory.

Wasn't it Mercedes who said that it was as fast or faster than the CGT!

How was the conditions, dry or wet?

Imagine the shame at the Mclaren factory.

Wasn't it Mercedes who said that it was as fast or faster than the CGT!

Well, Nordschliefe time is disappointing, but that won't deter buyers.

As usual, I'm a big fan

Well, Nordschliefe time is disappointing, but that won't deter buyers.

As usual, I'm a big fan

Slalom?
    Ausweichtest...
    Aerodynamic....
    G-force....

Slalom?
    Ausweichtest...
    Aerodynamic....
    G-force....

Quote:
    CF said:
    Slalom?

18m: 67,4 km/h - CGT: 72,0
    36m: 129 km/h - CGT: 135

Quote:
    Ausweichtest...

152 km/h - CGT: 157

Quote:
    Aerodynamic....

VA: +19kg; HA: +35kg - CGT: +49kg; +40kg

Quote:
    G-force....

1,25g - CGT:1,35g

Quote:
    CF said:
    Slalom?

18m: 67,4 km/h - CGT: 72,0
    36m: 129 km/h - CGT: 135

Quote:
    Ausweichtest...

152 km/h - CGT: 157

Quote:
    Aerodynamic....

VA: +19kg; HA: +35kg - CGT: +49kg; +40kg

Quote:
    G-force....

1,25g - CGT:1,35g

very disapointing, but we all knew it will come like this.
    And let's don't forget the CGT had worser conditions, termpreture etc.
    Now I just wan't to see a supertest with the enzo.
    Do you think they will ever get one for a supertest?

In Antwort auf:
    Avoe said:

All I hope for...

In Antwort auf:
    Avoe said:

All I hope for...

In Antwort auf:
    CF said:

Air temp 18 C
    Track temp 35 C
    atmospheric pressure 1021 mbar

In Antwort auf:
    CF said:

Air temp 18 C
    Track temp 35 C
    atmospheric pressure 1021 mbar

Perfect conditions.

Perfect conditions.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    Well, Nordschliefe time is disappointing

"disappointing" is too nice of a word, carbon fiber body, 600HP V8, ceramic discs, and $400,000 pricetag for a 7:52?
    when you consider a simple, confortable, easy to drive & basic 997S does 7:59 ,and a Gallardo or Murc matches the 7:52, you get the picture of how much a failure this car is, trying to balance supercar standards and costs with GT confort you get neither; a poor GT with ridicule supercar performance (except for straight line bursts of acceleration that quickly get boring).

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    Well, Nordschliefe time is disappointing

"disappointing" is too nice of a word, carbon fiber body, 600HP V8, ceramic discs, and $400,000 pricetag for a 7:52?
    when you consider a simple, confortable, easy to drive & basic 997S does 7:59 ,and a Gallardo or Murc matches the 7:52, you get the picture of how much a failure this car is, trying to balance supercar standards and costs with GT confort you get neither; a poor GT with ridicule supercar performance (except for straight line bursts of acceleration that quickly get boring).

Well as you say straight line acceleration runs get boring and are pointless, thats how I feel about lap times. No-one is going to buy the SLR to track it, CGT owners might, which I feel is ludicrous to track such an expensive car when a 10K GBP car will do it quicker and cheaper, but there you go. To each his own.

You can go on calling this car a failure, but will slow lap times deter 50y/olds from buying this Mercedes? No, didn't think so. When I buy a car, I don't research into lap times to see if car x will beat mine and neither do the vast majority of buyers. Its all about acceleration, top speed and horsepower, regardless if it gets used or not. If fast lap times float your boat, then go check radical sportscars, they'll put your CGT is the king car to shame, but does it matter? No.

Sorry for the tone, but I'm sick of hearing this car is a disppointment, I don't come into Porsche forum and say how CGT is uncomfortable and has a tricky clutch, do I?

Well as you say straight line acceleration runs get boring and are pointless, thats how I feel about lap times. No-one is going to buy the SLR to track it, CGT owners might, which I feel is ludicrous to track such an expensive car when a 10K GBP car will do it quicker and cheaper, but there you go. To each his own.

You can go on calling this car a failure, but will slow lap times deter 50y/olds from buying this Mercedes? No, didn't think so. When I buy a car, I don't research into lap times to see if car x will beat mine and neither do the vast majority of buyers. Its all about acceleration, top speed and horsepower, regardless if it gets used or not. If fast lap times float your boat, then go check radical sportscars, they'll put your CGT is the king car to shame, but does it matter? No.

Sorry for the tone, but I'm sick of hearing this car is a disppointment, I don't come into Porsche forum and say how CGT is uncomfortable and has a tricky clutch, do I?

Bilal, I see your point...

7:52 is still quick. In particular for a luxury GT with automatic shifting and all driving comfort (multiple adjustable seats, GPS, etc.). With all this the SLR is simply a different concept of a car as compared to CGT and Enzo.

The question to CF (or any other members of this forum who have already driven the SLR) would be whether the SLR has the drive feel of a true GT and not so much the aura of a pure bread super sports car. If so, the SLR might be an interesting add-on for a otherwise well equipped garage... A car (among others in that virtual garage) for a long and very fast business trip, maybe (like a 996TT on steroids)?

Bilal, I see your point...

7:52 is still quick. In particular for a luxury GT with automatic shifting and all driving comfort (multiple adjustable seats, GPS, etc.). With all this the SLR is simply a different concept of a car as compared to CGT and Enzo.

The question to CF (or any other members of this forum who have already driven the SLR) would be whether the SLR has the drive feel of a true GT and not so much the aura of a pure bread super sports car. If so, the SLR might be an interesting add-on for a otherwise well equipped garage... A car (among others in that virtual garage) for a long and very fast business trip, maybe (like a 996TT on steroids)?

Re: Bilal, I see your point...

Exactly.

The thing is, there are drivers cars and then there are cars. I can understand and attest that probably no Mercedes has the drive feel of a Porsche, and all Mercedes are numb cars to drive. The SLR is probably no exception, but people will still buy it because some people prefer that sort of car?

Is that so hard to grasp for some people?

Why do people buy Lexus, when Benz does it better? Why do people buy RR's when Maybach does it better? Why do people buy the CGT, when the radical SR3 has set the Nring record?

Re: Bilal, I see your point...

Exactly.

The thing is, there are drivers cars and then there are cars. I can understand and attest that probably no Mercedes has the drive feel of a Porsche, and all Mercedes are numb cars to drive. The SLR is probably no exception, but people will still buy it because some people prefer that sort of car?

Is that so hard to grasp for some people?

Why do people buy Lexus, when Benz does it better? Why do people buy RR's when Maybach does it better? Why do people buy the CGT, when the radical SR3 has set the Nring record?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

No Bilal, you didn't get the point, lap times are not only important to people who intend to track their cars, it shows how the car accels out of the corners, handles in the curves, brakes, etc and that is what sportcars are about and what characterises the sport driving experience is produces, unless you talk to a poseur who just cares about the image and HP and accel paper specs for whom this car is very appealing, and that why it sells. And this is even more so in the supercar class.

If a 600+HP car needs 7:52 to lap the ring inspite of the advantages in materials and development of what a $400k pricetag can produce, that can tell you something about how "sporty" the car is. Fast staright-line acceleration from a slush box car is hardly amusing to sportcar enthusiasts. Go ask McLaren how they feel about how the SLR turned out and that lap time and you will hear the word "disappointment" pop up again.

What does this car do out of the ordinary for 400k with carbon fiber body, brakes, such engine, etc? Lets take a Gallardo and a GT3 for example:
    - does it handle better? no, both the GT3 and Gallardo are faster around Hockenheim, a GT3 with only 380HP does a 7:54 in the ring while the 500HP Gallardo does 7:52.
    - does it take corners faster? no both the GT3 and Gallardo have greater slalom speeds and GT3 equals the skipad and gallardo is even higher than the SLR.
    - is it more fun to drive? its obvious the GT3/Gallardo are more involving and provide a sportier driving experince than the supercharged front-engined slush box Merc
    - is it more confortable? no
    - is it more practical? no
    - well, is it at least better bang for the buck? 400k vs 100k/150k!
    - straight-line acceleration? yes, bu so does a muscle car, and with a torque converter to even do it all for you, you don't even need to know how to drive a stick to drive a real supercar... real sporty.

7:52 and MB tried to market this car as a "supercar" in the begining? the supercar class is much more about brute HP number figures and expensive pricetags, that were the word disappointment comes from, because we were lead to believe they were building a McLaren supercar and what we got is a huge disappointment.

Sorry about the tone but I had held expectations for this car before it came out, like many other people, and now I feel "disappointed".

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

No Bilal, you didn't get the point, lap times are not only important to people who intend to track their cars, it shows how the car accels out of the corners, handles in the curves, brakes, etc and that is what sportcars are about and what characterises the sport driving experience is produces, unless you talk to a poseur who just cares about the image and HP and accel paper specs for whom this car is very appealing, and that why it sells. And this is even more so in the supercar class.

If a 600+HP car needs 7:52 to lap the ring inspite of the advantages in materials and development of what a $400k pricetag can produce, that can tell you something about how "sporty" the car is. Fast staright-line acceleration from a slush box car is hardly amusing to sportcar enthusiasts. Go ask McLaren how they feel about how the SLR turned out and that lap time and you will hear the word "disappointment" pop up again.

What does this car do out of the ordinary for 400k with carbon fiber body, brakes, such engine, etc? Lets take a Gallardo and a GT3 for example:
    - does it handle better? no, both the GT3 and Gallardo are faster around Hockenheim, a GT3 with only 380HP does a 7:54 in the ring while the 500HP Gallardo does 7:52.
    - does it take corners faster? no both the GT3 and Gallardo have greater slalom speeds and GT3 equals the skipad and gallardo is even higher than the SLR.
    - is it more fun to drive? its obvious the GT3/Gallardo are more involving and provide a sportier driving experince than the supercharged front-engined slush box Merc
    - is it more confortable? no
    - is it more practical? no
    - well, is it at least better bang for the buck? 400k vs 100k/150k!
    - straight-line acceleration? yes, bu so does a muscle car, and with a torque converter to even do it all for you, you don't even need to know how to drive a stick to drive a real supercar... real sporty.

7:52 and MB tried to market this car as a "supercar" in the begining? the supercar class is much more about brute HP number figures and expensive pricetags, that were the word disappointment comes from, because we were lead to believe they were building a McLaren supercar and what we got is a huge disappointment.

Sorry about the tone but I had held expectations for this car before it came out, like many other people, and now I feel "disappointed".

The suspension is very firm and definately NOT what I would characterize as comfortable.
    The steering is quite nervous.
    It does however feel very direct and sporty.
    The brake feel is worthless. SBC !!!!!
    The noise level inside the car is quite tiresome after a while.

All things said, I think it's a nice GT car with excellent straight line performance and mediocre handling.

I haven't seen Gordon Murray at any SLR events or press events.
    Imagine why!

He doesn't want his legacy to be tainted by this misfit.

The suspension is very firm and definately NOT what I would characterize as comfortable.
    The steering is quite nervous.
    It does however feel very direct and sporty.
    The brake feel is worthless. SBC !!!!!
    The noise level inside the car is quite tiresome after a while.

All things said, I think it's a nice GT car with excellent straight line performance and mediocre handling.

I haven't seen Gordon Murray at any SLR events or press events.
    Imagine why!

He doesn't want his legacy to be tainted by this misfit.

Someone please scan the article.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802865 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448449 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265984 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89992 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6468 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885487 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832650 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM