Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Feels like I'm gonna cheat on my baby

Hey there, I'm a proud owner of a 997 http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=288801&page=0&fpart=all which I enjoy so much... BUT...
    It all started in Jan 07 when I organized a trip with some friends to France and fixed up a driving session in a circuit. I chose to drive both the 997 and the f430, this is when the big problem began... After finishing lapping in the 997 came time to jump-in the f430. Now, on-board, I felt this could be bad... very bad... first, starting up the engine, I heard that screaming V8 jingling to my ears, then, came time to drive... One word, it is astonishing!!!!! I've always been fan of manual transmission but that f1 gear box on that f430 is just amazingly amazing!!! The feeling when changing gear is breathtaking. The way the V8 sits right next to you with the possibility to visualize it just left me speechless. I then realized what might happened to me, temptation got over me... I literally felt in love.
    Now back to my hometown, I never stopped thinking of that short moment spend in that f430, thus, "not really enjoying my 997 anymore " I now am more and more tempted to switch to the f430, but hey... And BTW, I don't want to end up with a car that would be replaced next year...
    Now... What should I do?! keep my 997 or f430 all the way?

Re: Feels like I'm gonna cheat on my baby

Get the F430. Life isnt all that long really. If the passion
    is there, enjoy it!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Get the F430. Life isnt all that long really. If the passion
    is there, enjoy it!

I second that. You want the car, get it!

not much beats a nice sounding V8.

That depends on how much you want to use the car. Although you can use both cars on a regular basis, you won't really do that with a F430. With a 997 that's no problem. That's why they complement each other rather well.

If you want a car that you like to take out for a ride, get the F430. It's a marvelous car, you won't regret it. Even if the successor will come within 18 months, a Ferrari is a Ferrari and ever will be. If you decide to sell it you won't loose that much money that you would do with other brands. Moreover the F430 is also technically a brilliant car, great chassis, quick F1 and with one of the best engines currently available.

Georges, we understand and know exactly what you have experienced. I went from a Porsche to Ferrari and honestly could not see myself back into a Porsche unless it was a CGT with safety features.

Don't worry about the replacement. Get into the Ferrari family now and enjoy life. When you drive a Ferrari, it is an event.

BTW with respect to the F1, I have no doubt when Porsche introduces its version, most on this board will be converts.

I totally agree with you Rossi, I already thought about the f430's practicality for daily use but the adrenaline rush you get form road cruising is priceless...

go f430, you cant go wrong. i also passed through all kind of porsches , switched to ferrari ,then to lamborghini, i could go back to ferrari but not to porsche. tell me if u r interested there is a 430 in beirut with 500km for sale,or if you want to jump to the dark side my G is for sale , i'm going for the lp 640..

Quote:
    nberry said:
    honestly could not see myself back into a Porsche unless it was a CGT with safety features.

I was under the impression that the safety features of the F430 were lacking as well

See a 430 outside my local hairdresser's , its some machine and with one great arse too....Cant see any regrets if you do , go for it...

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    honestly could not see myself back into a Porsche unless it was a CGT with safety features.

I was under the impression that the safety features of the F430 were lacking as well

Safety is likely not a focus area/core competence of F engineers/mgmt ....The 4000lb 599 finally has head/side airbags (the 4400lb 612 still doesn't have 'em ), but not clear if F's airbags/seatbelts/seat strucs/head restraints are as crashworthy as latest/greatest from MB/P. And still have these anecdotal reports of fuel tank ruptures/fires post-collision w/F's....

That said, if overall risk/reward of 430/599 makes sense, def need to have one (or both) in one's fleet for when one is in a less risk-averse, more "passionate" mood....

Would argue, if 430 doesn't seem too crass/juvenile for one's office/business culture, F is far more daily-useable/commutable than 997TT....28gall fuel tank, decent-sized trunk, Bluetooth/iPod compat, same ground clearance and same outstanding reliability

May want to drive 599 vs 430 back-to-back on real-world roads....suspect 599's superior tq/latest-tech F1 shiftspeeds&smoothness/latest-tech stab ctrls (and much better wet trac)/greater comfort will make 430 feel about as ancient as a 5yo cell phone/Blkberry/iPod/plasma TV.....

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

It is all relative. The CGT weighs about 3100 pds with 612hp and all it has is TC. The 430 weighs about 3250 with 490hp and has more than TC. You can get in trouble a lot quicker with the CGT.

Quote:
    Georges G. Hayek said:
    Hey there, I'm a proud owner of a 997 http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=288801&page=0&fpart=all which I enjoy so much... BUT...
    It all started in Jan 07 when I organized a trip with some friends to France and fixed up a driving session in a circuit. I chose to drive both the 997 and the f430, this is when the big problem began... After finishing lapping in the 997 came time to jump-in the f430. Now, on-board, I felt this could be bad... very bad... first, starting up the engine, I heard that screaming V8 jingling to my ears, then, came time to drive... One word, it is astonishing!!!!! I've always been fan of manual transmission but that f1 gear box on that f430 is just amazingly amazing!!! The feeling when changing gear is breathtaking. The way the V8 sits right next to you with the possibility to visualize it just left me speechless. I then realized what might happened to me, temptation got over me... I literally felt in love.
    Now back to my hometown, I never stopped thinking of that short moment spend in that f430, thus, "not really enjoying my 997 anymore " I now am more and more tempted to switch to the f430, but hey... And BTW, I don't want to end up with a car that would be replaced next year...
    Now... What should I do?! keep my 997 or f430 all the way?

Yes Georges, just like Eve, you should not have tasted the apple. Now that you did, you cannot undo it. The only solution is to get it, get it now, and you know it Put in your order now. By the time it is ready, who knows, it might be the new model that you get.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    That depends on how much you want to use the car. Although you can use both cars on a regular basis, you won't really do that with a F430. With a 997 that's no problem. That's why they complement each other rather well.

If you want a car that you like to take out for a ride, get the F430. It's a marvelous car, you won't regret it. Even if the successor will come within 18 months, a Ferrari is a Ferrari and ever will be. If you decide to sell it you won't loose that much money that you would do with other brands. Moreover the F430 is also technically a brilliant car, great chassis, quick F1 and with one of the best engines currently available.

I had the same dilemma - so I kept both

It is the best solution, I still enjoy my 997. Although it is not the same league as the F430 it still gives me a lot of joy! Trust me, you will miss the 997 when she is gone

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

It is the best solution, I still enjoy my 997. Although it is not the same league as the F430 it still gives me a lot of joy! Trust me, you will miss the 997 when she is gone

Mike, BELIEVE me, I only wish I could... But if I rob a bank... Maybe

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

AMEN! Was just going to say that. Best of both worlds!

Go for the Ferrari. Life is too short.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

AMEN! Was just going to say that. Best of both worlds!

Some updates:

Visited my Ferrari dealer yesterday, and they offered me 2 options:

1- A NEW F430 => Rosso Corso / Black, red stitching, F1 gear box for 290.000$ including all taxes, registration + insurance for 1 year. Delivery date November 07.

2- A pre-owned 2005 F430 same specs as above with 14.000 km for a total of 240.000$ all included... Delivery date +/- 2 months

I might be considering the pre-owned since the f430 is nearly halfway+ life cycle...

I know that nothing compared to "NEW"... What do you think???

if the car is in good condition just get it why wait till november

Quote:
    krC2S said:
    if the car is in good condition just get it why wait till november

Still have to check on its condition. Apparently the guy use to drive the car form Beirut to Amman, so I'm still worrying about that point...

Quote:
    throt said:
    See a 430 outside my local hairdresser's

You go to the hairdresser

WAIT!!! Get the new one.

It is unbelieveable that you can get a new one within 6 months. In the US a dealer will not even talk to you because he has nothing to talk about (all cars sold).

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

What do you think he'll charge for cutting Throts impressive mane - should be enough for the deposit on a new F430

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

What do you think he'll charge for cutting Throts impressive mane - should be enough for the deposit on a new F430

Deposit for a new F430 and some money left to buy a Boxster...

Agree, if it's in good condition, then get it!

RUF CTR3

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

Dare I say , ""I go for the occasional touch up"" ..

was having that same chat with Dimi over msn just now... everybody around here is driving a carrera... I'm just sick of it... looking for something different... but a 430 is out of reach

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    was having that same chat with Dimi over msn just now... everybody around here is driving a carrera... I'm just sick of it... looking for something different... but a 430 is out of reach

Dimi just came by today and gave me a glimpse of heaven in his G. AND WHAT A G! Got me thinking there...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM