Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Elephant Hill

The sign says:

Quote:
    Elephant Hill is one of the most challenging 4-wheel-drive roads in the state. Steep grades, large rocks, stair-step dropoffs and tight switchbacks that require backing, contribute to driving difficulty. In places, the experience is similar to rock climbing on wheels.

A high-clearance 4-wheel drive vehicle and experienced driver are required. It is recommended that you walk over Elephant Hill prior to driving it.

So ... I had been duly warned! Actually, I had read many similar warnings before coming here and really debated whether or not I should try it. I also heard first hand accounts from guides with capable vehicles who spoke of the trail with wide eyes and urged extreme caution. They actually were advising against it!

But, if I hadn't tried, I would always wonder and probably regret that I didn't. So, up the hill we went!

Re: Elephant Hill

The Elephant Hill loop is 7 or 8 miles and if you decide to add in the side trip to the Green River and Colorado River confluence overlook, which we did, that is an extra 5 miles. I think the whole trip took us about 5 or 6 hours.

The first ascent puts you into some serious action right away. You have to do some backing up to make the first switchback!

After about three switchbacks you reach the top of the hill and, if you have made it this far, this is the point to reevaluate. The trip down the back side of the hill is even steeper than the ascent and you have to consider, you are going to have to climb that hill on the return trip!

We hadn't come this far to quit after the first hill so we dove off into the next set of switchbacks. At the first turnaround we had to wait for a Jeep Wrangler coming up. He had a very serious look on his face and strongly advised us to turn around there. He said he had just barely made it up in the Jeep and he was using good B F Goodrich All Terrain tires. He nearly scared me off but looking down the trail I felt I could make it so I went ahead.

I got another warning on the next switchback. There was evidence on the trail that someone had cracked an oil pan, differential or something, on the rocks.

After making it down the first hill there was a brief respite over some sandy road before the trail started up again. I happened to pick the wrong route here and came up hard against a ledge. We had to go to the right and then cut back to the left.

Shortly after that we had to pass under a low overhang before cutting back to the left. At first there didn't appear to be enough clearance, but once your car was up there, there was more than it seemed. I had several inches to spare!

Next came a series of very narrow passageways. One of them had such a narrow opening it just didn't seem passable! After looking at the tire marks made by others you get the idea: drive up the wall! Or, at least over a big rock!

Even after that the passage was very tight.

We eventually make it around to the back of the loop, down the "Silver Stairs" and over to the Confluence Overlook. The Green River is on the left. The rivers appear relatively placid here. I understand some serious rapids start shortly after this friendly meeting.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Even after that the passage was very tight.

Again, thanks for the cool pics Hopefully that tight passage didn't mess up your driver's side doors, etc...

Back on the Loop, the trail was relentless! More steep and rocky hillclimbs and stairstep dropoffs! Eventually we got back to the last, and most difficult hillclimb. On the first switchback I was having some traction problems and had to back up and try again several times. Eventually I concluded that if I was going to get out of there I needed a lot more momentum! I backed up one last time and then powered on up the entire hill without stopping. It was a pretty bumpy ride but I made it out. My friend saw this and followed suit, bouncing right on up to the top.

I envy you.
    I've always had this fantasy of mine for a while... driving through the elements of wilderness (dirt, sand, water, rocks and younameit).

I really do plan to make a trip like yours when I get my truck.

The final descent and switchbacks were not bad. Going downhill was always easier. You just need to plan your route well and then go as slow as possible, creeping over those steps! After that we were out and finished with Elephant Hill. Wow! What an experience!

If you decide to try it, be aware that it is extremely rugged and you are going to damage something. I think all my wheels have some rock nicks and the new rocker guards have a couple of serious dents in them.

Fantastic photo essay. Looks like a lot of fun. Gotta get there sometime...

Gary, I just loved this report and of course the(somehow scary) pictures. I really envy you for being there in your Cayenne, you must have had a great time.

Very cool report and pictures , thanks for sharing.

You guys are giving me ideas regarding the Cayenne .

Excellent report and photos! You leave no doubt that the Cayenne is a serious off road vehicle. As you drove the course, were you worried about the damage you were doing to your Porsche? For any other Porsche model, dings and nicks are the kiss of resale death...

Yes! I was absolutely worried! I was somewhat worried about the sort of cosmetic damage that affects resale. But, it's a given that something will be damaged. There were some points where the rockers were going to scrape across a rock, no matter what! I really felt fortunate to have escaped with no sheetmetal damage.

But even more of a concern than the cosmetic damage, you worry about the mechanical damage that might leave you stranded there: oil pans, differentials, tie rods, axles, control arms, etc. These are the things you really worry about.

Gary,

Do you think it would have made any kind of difference in the difficulty of the trail if you would have had the Pirelli A/Ts, or did your tires have no problems at all?

Karl

The traction difficulties I experienced were due to many factors and I am not entirely certain how much weight to give to each but I think it includes tires, suspension and the lack of a rear axle lock. Also, keep in mind I am comparing to my friend's 4Runner. It had Bridgestone Desert Duelers and a solid rear axle with locking differential. This is a very capable off-roader. The Cayenne may have compared better to other 4WD vehicles. The 4Runner had no form of traction control but on steep hills it seemed the traction control caused the Cayenne to lose momentum in the time it took for a wheel to spin and then the ABD to lock it. The 4Runner with it's locking rear seemed to hook up faster.

Also, watching the rear of the 4Runner while it crossed rugged terrain was instructive in the advantages a solid axle has off-road. His rear axle had enormous articulation. Each wheel seemed to be able to move maybe 18 inches up and down. The rear tires did a good job of staying planted on the ground. The Cayenne on the other hand, with it's stiff independent suspension, was quick to raise a foot into the air, contributing to the lack of traction.

And finally, the tires. I have the Continental 4X4 Contact M&S 255/55 18. The Pirelli Scorpion A/T would certainly have been a better choice and I do think it would have made a difference. How much of a difference, I don't know. If I had to judge, I would say the rear locker was the biggest factor, but that's just a guess.

The Cayenne did seem to have a slight advantage in ground clearance and body control. After starting with the shocks in comfort mode I switched to sport mode and found the wild body oscillations caused by the terrain were much better controlled. The 4Runner is pretty stiffly sprung but going over the rough stuff it crashed down on it's rockers fairly often. His were more beat up than mine I think.

What an experience, thank you very much for sharing it with us... The pics are great...

Thanks!

I found the narrow passageway above, called the "Squeeze Play", pretty tight for a Cayenne. Other vehicles may have even more difficulty.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802907 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448456 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265991 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89995 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6477 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885519 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832722 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM