Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

pmarkow:
    reginos:

I love how the GT2RS looks. It creates the same impression as the 993 GT2 back in the 90s.

A GT Silver car with the Weissach paket line along the bonnet and roof looks fantastic.

This car looks like the fully functional speed machine which it is and it offers something completely different to the other 700 PS cars from Italy and the UK which follow the known and repeated pattern.

really funny statement......is there any more 'known and repeated pattern' than 911s?

I should have said configuration or perhaps layout and styling.

The 911 (whether we like it or we think this is justified or not) is a legend among  cars, a piece of automotive history, the archetypical sportscar and road car based racing car.

The success of the 911 is the envy of any sportscar manufacturer. It would have been stupid for Porsche to stop the evolution of this model, despite sarcasms and ironies.

I.000.000 buyers since the 60s cannot be wrong. And see how many "Porsche 911 killers" have been unsuccessfully produced over the years from a large variety of manufacturers

This GT2 is a mean machine ready and eager to do battle. We already have too many cars in this price and PS bracket for posing.

there you are right. the GT2RS can definitely not be used for posing.

Yes indeed! There are people around who have no need to pose

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

I love how the GT2RS looks. It creates the same impression as the 993 GT2 back in the 90s.

A GT Silver car with the Weissach paket line along the bonnet and roof looks fantastic.

This car looks like the fully functional speed machine which it is and it offers something completely different to the other 700 PS cars from Italy and the UK which follow the known and repeated pattern.

really funny statement......is there any more 'known and repeated pattern' than 911s?

The 911 (whether we like it or we think this is justified or not) is a legend among  cars, a piece of automotive history, the archetypical sportscar and road car based racing car.

The success of the 911 is the envy of any sportscar manufacturer. It would have been stupid for Porsche to stop the evolution of this model, despite sarcasms and ironies.

I.000.000 buyers since the 60s cannot be wrong.

there are many examples in history where millions of people were wrong. i own a 911 myself but i need to be put under enormous pressure to say it is a good-looking car, i try to keep good taste in spite of my ridiculous investment in porsche.  but it is a useless discussion. the hundreds of 911 configurations sell mainly because people believe they buy sporty individualism with it. i find that pretty funny .......

And see how many "Porsche 911 killers" have been unsuccessfully produced over the years from a large variety of manufacturers

This GT2 is a mean machine ready and eager to do battle. We already have too many cars in this price and PS bracket for posing.

there you are right. the GT2RS can definitely not be used for posing.

Yes indeed! There are people around who have no need to pose

--

"Form follows function"

pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

there are many examples in history where millions of people were wrong.

.....but in the case of a product, not for such a length of time. Someone cannot simply fool thousands of people to wrongly buy an automobile model for 54 years.

i own a 911 myself but i need to be put under enormous pressure to say it is a good-looking car, i try to keep good taste in spite of my ridiculous investment in porsche.  but it is a useless discussion. the hundreds of 911 configurations sell mainly because people believe they buy sporty individualism with it. i find that pretty funny .......

Even detractors like you see the worth Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

.....but in the case of a product, not for such a length of time.

i own a 911 myself but i need to be put under enormous pressure to say it is a good-looking car, i try to keep good taste in spite of my ridiculous investment in porsche.  but it is a useless discussion. the hundreds of 911 configurations sell mainly because people believe they buy sporty individualism with it. i find that pretty funny .......

not enough though to spend tons of money for a GT2RS with dyson-type sound and GT3RS looks

pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

not enough though to spend tons of money for a GT2RS with dyson-type sound and GT3RS looks

I agree that it is very expensive given the platform it is based on. But since there is effective demand for it, Porsche are understandably cashing in.

The GT2RS is on the list of die-hard Porschephiles and multiple car owners, as expected but it will also be bought by people who are fed up with the "exotic supercar template" that is used by everyone from humble Audi upwards.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

I agree that it is very expensive given the platform it is based on. But since there is effective demand for it, Porsche are understandably cashing in.

The GT2RS is on the list of die-hard Porschephiles and multiple car owners, as expected but it will also be bought by people who are fed up with the "exotic supercar template" that is used by everyone from humble Audi upwards.

honestly reginos, i do not understand what you mean by 'exotic supercar template'. by some very good engineering reasons (which we all know) supercars are mid-engined - they do not have the 2 adults + 2 children space requirement of the original 911 concept, artificially kept alive by porsche - partly because they have succeeded in persuading their conservative clientele that that is what a sportscar should look like, partly because of their engineering laziness and partly out of fear they could loose their icon. and clearly, mid-engined cars have special design requirements. so????

pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

honestly reginos, i do not understand what you mean by 'exotic supercar template'. by some very good engineering reasons (which we all know) supercars are mid-engined - they do not have the 2 adults + 2 children space requirement of the original 911 concept, artificially kept alive by porsche - partly because they have succeeded in persuading their conservative clientele that that is what a sportscar should look like, partly because of their engineering laziness and partly out of fear they could loose their icon. and clearly, mid-engined cars have special design requirements. so????

Porsche and Mercedes could have entered this segment very easily and at least as  convincingly as the current "exotic" manufacturers. For example, Porsche could have done a scaled down 918 in a weekend, so to speak. It is not a matter of lack of know-how. And equally Mercedes with their engineering prowess.

IMO it is good commercially that they have decided to deviate from the norm and offer alternative products built in their own respective ethos, like the GT2RS and the AMG GT-R (7.10,9 Smiley). Similarly, Audi could have done a modern day Quattro and be unique instead of the current poor man's Lamborghini (no offense intended to anyone Smiley).

Not everyone fancies the wide and low, mid-engined exotics with their large behind and short front, the glass engine covers and the shapes out of a sci-fi comic book. There are many more opportunities in this automotive stratosphere which Porsche are exploiting superbly.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

Porsche and Mercedes could have entered this segment very easily and at least as  convincingly as the current "exotic" manufacturers. For example, Porsche could have done a scaled down 918 in a weekend, so to speak. It is not a matter of lack of know-how. And equally Mercedes with their engineering prowess.

IMO it is good commercially that they have decided to deviate from the norm and offer alternative products built in their own respective ethos, like the GT2RS and the AMG GT-R (7.10,9 Smiley). Similarly, Audi could have done a modern day Quattro and be unique instead of the current poor man's Lamborghini (no offense intended to anyone Smiley).

Not everyone fancies the wide and low, mid-engined exotics with their large behind and short front, the glass engine covers and the shapes out of a sci-fi comic book. There are many more opportunities in this automotive stratosphere which Porsche are exploiting superbly.

--

"Form follows function"

the AMG GT-R is certainly uglier than the 911s

I rest my case.... yes

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I rest my case.... yes

--

"Form follows function"

well my friend, if your case was that 911s and the AMG GTR look so much better than those rogue ferraris, lamborghinis  and mclarens then it is a wise decision to rest it:::))))

pmarkow:
    reginos:

I rest my case.... yes

--

"Form follows function"

well my friend, if your case was that 911s and the AMG GTR look so much better than those rogue ferraris, lamborghinis  and mclarens then it is a wise decision to rest it:::))))

If we were to define good looks as synonymous with bling and snob value then I was wrong in my preference.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

I rest my case.... yes

--

"Form follows function"

If we were to define good looks as synonymous with bling and snob value then I was wrong in my preference.

--

"Form follows function"

now i rest my case:::))))

Can we just agree that the Huracan and Huracan Spyder and not the Performante is the best looking at the moment? smiley

--

pmarkow:
    reginos:
    pmarkow:
    reginos:

I rest my case.... yes

--

"Form follows function"

--

"Form follows function"

now i rest my case:::))))

SmileySmiley

--

"Form follows function"

Whoopsy:

Can we just agree that the Huracan and Huracan Spyder and not the Performante is the best looking at the moment? smiley

--

almost.....if there wasn't the 458speciale:::))))

pmarkow:
    Whoopsy:

--

almost.....if there wasn't the 458speciale:::))))

Speciale is a car of the past. Smiley

So I agree with Whoopsy, but I like the Perfomante just as much. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Am I alone in thinking the 720S is the nicest looking super/sports car by a mile at the moment? frown

Porsche 960 Coupe will set a new benchmark as the best looking model across the range...

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 960 Coupe will set a new benchmark as the best looking model across the range...

Blimey it comes with 997.1 Turbo wheels Smiley

What is that? A 10 year old render? Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

r3tract:

Am I alone in thinking the 720S is the nicest looking super/sports car by a mile at the moment? frown

Maybe the 720s is also the fastest Smiley

The new Cayman almost looks better. Nothing wrong with those wheels on my car. Lol. 

r3tract:

Yes it is. And for me I prefer less noise so it's fine by that standard. 

As far as coupe 2 seater goes, right now there are only two cars on top: the 720S and the Ferrari TdF. Convertible: Huracan and for less sporty the Portofino until the 720S convertible comes out. In the lower less exotic segment, nothing beats the 991.2 GTS cab.

r3tract:

hmm. really?

The only thing about the 720S is that it looks better than the 650S/675/P1 cars. 

But that's not saying much as just about anything is better looking than those Smiley

--

My favourite McLaren and for me, the best looking car in its class is the 570GT with a blackened side duct. The sloping glass at the rear of the GT adds to the the styling of the Sport Series a lot.

I've been to see these models in the Knightsbridge, London showroom and in real life they look much better than in the pictures. IMO more desirable looks than Ferrari or Lamborghini. I fancy McLaren's technical look Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

MKSGR:
    r3tract:

Maybe the 720s is also the fastest Smiley

You could be right... Smiley

1504076164125720S.JPG

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

r3tract:

Good looking car but far from being the best looking and I still can't get over the headlights, make it look like an alien.image.php.jpgmclaren-720s-cornering-1.jpg

It's very hard to try to like that front on the 720S, can't get over the headlight  recessed holes... But not too worry, they will probably fix that next year when they release the new version or the 3rd the year after that smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

It's very hard to try to like that front on the 720S, can't get over the headlight  recessed holes...

I don't love the look of the headlights either, but at least they are functional this time.  On the previous cars they were shaped for no other reason than to evoke the brand's logo (and they were not beautiful either)...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690674 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409889 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235343 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774834 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM