Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gallardo vs Turbo

I am test driving the 997TT and GT3 on Monday so I thought I'd try an outsider for comparison today. I took out 2 gallardos. An e-gear spyder and a manual coupe. Very charasmatic, incredible noise, very quick, stunning looks and handles beautifully. I know from experience that test drives are never enough to get the full story on a car so I'd like to hear from those who have owned a gallardo and a 997TT or GT3. What are the negatives. Why might I prefer the Porsche apart from price?

Re: Gallardo vs Turbo

Well I don;t have one,but have driven one and know a friend who ran one.
    BAsically they are great cars,dynamically as good if not better than the 997tt,however they cannot be used as much,they have less space inside and less storage space.They are not pleasant place to be when surrounded by large lorries and visibility is not great compared to the Porsche.
    The critical factor though in my mind is running costs ,they eat clutches ...6000 miles or less and its new clutch time.
    The nature of its performance being a v-10 means in day to day driving it is not as quick as the turbo as it as has no where near the torque.
    I don't consider the lambo as the sort of car yo can have by itself,you would need another car,whereas witht he Porsche you can run it by itself,and use every day come rain or shine.

I own both an 06 TT and an 06 Gallardo egear coupe. The clutch issues have long since been dealt with on the G and there are owners with over 20k miles on the clock on the same clutch. As regards visibility there is absolutely no problem with the G in that respect and it is very easy to see out of and drive every day in traffic. The only blind spot is when reversing it is difficult to see the side of the car if you turn your head due to the butresses on the coupe. I've not tried a spyder so can't comment on those.

In terms of driving dynamics the cars are very different. The TT is a much more relaxed car to drive and you can make rapid progress without determined concentration. In that respect it really is a true GT car and happily eats up the miles. The Lambo is a more involving sports car with heavier steering and more direct handling which means you need more concentration when driving it. It will also happily dawdle along if required in traffic. As far as practicality goes the TT wins hands down. You sit far lower in the G so you need more space when opening the doors to get in and out. The TT also has more usable boot space though the G has a lot of room behind the seats (only in the coupe though).

Out on the road you are fairly anonymous in traffic in a TT and get very little attention. The complete opposite is true of the G and you will get camera phones pointed in your direction all the time and have people follow you to look at the car. The power delivery is different between the two cars and the TT feels subjectively quicker because of the low down grunt but the stopwatch figures suggest that both are fairly evenly matched. The TT will be cheaper to own through better depreciation and much lower servicing costs. The Lambo will shed more of it's value in both % and Poundsss and is costly to service - Pounds300 for Porsche service vs Pounds2k for the Lambo.

Bottom line is that you can drive a TT and pretty quickly become used to it as an everday car which just happens to have incredible speed when you need it wheras getting into the Lambo is always an occassion.

recently traded 06' gallardo for march build tt. have had many tt's in past and wanted to try gallardo. great mid engine feel, great sound. didn't like comfort, visibility, interior (basically an audi). not a bad car, just wasn't anywhere near the daily driver of the p-cars. tt is best example of daily driver- ultra-performance combination, imo.

Hey Pink Panther

Here is a comparison I wrote a while ago. The Porsche 996TT cab is now replaced by a 997TT coupe.

So ....

After driving approx. 9500km (6000 miles) with the Lambo Gallardo Spyder here is a short review/comparison:

EXTERIOR/LOOKS/PRESENCE:
    Altho the 996TT cab was a beautiful piece of machinery it just doesn't stand a chance against the perfect lines of the Gallardo Spyder. I have done a small test driving the 996TT just behind the Lambo around town. Not 1 single person looked at the Porsche, not one! At the same time fingers were pointing, cameras were clicking and cars were flashing at the Lambo.
    Keep in mind that you need to be able to cope with the attention, I don't have particular problems with it since I'm passionate about cars in general and don't mind talking about them. My girlfriend on the other hand is still a bit anxious cause 'so many people are looking at the car while you were filling her up, I didn't know where to look'
    Lambo-Porsche: 1-0

SOUND:
    No comparison whatsoever! At this point I haven't done the valve mod on the Lambo (removing the 3500rpm sound barrier) but the sound the exhaust generates is simply mindblowing! After 3500rpm it's pure addiction. I'm having difficulties going to the next gear under 3500rpm; I just need to hear the G bark
    And my 996TT had quite an amazing sound I must say ... it had the Model 800 exhaust from Europipe, the loudest exhaust they created for the 996TT. But still ... no comparison.
    L-P: 2-0

ACCELERATION:
    NEW INFO: The Porsche 997TT is faster, no doubt about it!
    L-P: 2-1

SENSATION:
    Porsche: there actually IS a substite ... Lambo is its name. Don't get my wrong, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Porsche BUT driving a Lamborghini, even if it's "just" the Baby-Bull, really is something else! An absolute thrill!
    L-P: 3-1

DAILY DRIVER/COMFORT:
    As we all know the Porsche is a perfect car for daily use. The G comes close to it but to say it's a perfect daily driver ... no, don't think so. I'm not going to talk about bootspace (who goes shopping for groceries with these kind of cars anyway?), it's a known fact the Gallardo has virtually none (it's more like an extension of the glove box).
    Driving around town or in traffic jams is no problem at all with the G (mine is E-gear). The difference in daily driving is made when it comes to parking the car. The G's "turn circle" (no idea how to say it otherwise in English) is terrible compared to the Porsche. The rear camera is a big help but its vision is too much fisheyed, once you get to know it it does help a lot tho.
    L-P: 3-2

E-GEAR LAMBO vs. 6-SPEED PORSCHE:
    Both systems have their ups and downs.
    Quite a few people seem to be having difficulties when driving in a city area or in traffic jams but I didn't experience any problems at all. Is this because I have driven high performance cars before or it this because the last generation E-gear is simply much much better than before, I don't really know.

One thing is for sure once you start driving the E-gear G on twisty roads it really is a blast.
    At this point I'm very glad I opted for the E-gear BUT I'm also very glad I've chosen the 6-speed manual on my upcoming Porsche 997TT. Reason is simple: Porsche's Tiptronic is no competition for Lambo's E-gear. Perhaps when they finally release their PDK (DSG) things will look better for Porsche.
    Final result: undecided
    L-P: 3-2

SOFT TOP:
    Opening the top on the G is a joy to look at but you need to be at a full stop to operate the top.

In the Porsche you can open and close the top while driving up to 40km/h and that is actually a BIG plus! Sudden rainshowers are no problem for the Porsche.
    The line of the G's top is extremely nice imho, it really does flow with the line of the car.
    I haven't tested the quality of the top in heavy rain so I don't know how it will stand it, the Porsche was flawless on that topic.
    I have only driven 180km/h (110mph) in the G with the top closed but at that speed it wasn't generating a lot of wind noise. One minor disadvantage for tall people: when the top is closed in the G you have a lot less headroom than in the Porsche, special aftermarket sportseats could come in
    handy.
    L-P: 3-3

So the final result is 3-3. Bottom line is this only shows how good a car the Porsche 996TT is or was. Because to be quite honest the Lambo is imho the ultimate combo.

The comparison may look a bit weird but that's because I changed a few things (some info relates to the 996TT cab while other relate to the 997TT coupé).

One thing tho, if I was forced to sell 1 car ... I'd keep the Lambo.

Thanks for the input. I am concerned about the attention drawing factor as my wife might refuse to come out with me if she finds it too much! Obviously the orange and yellow Gs would attract the most attention but maybe black or dark grey will play down the cars dramatic appearance?

My girlfriend does not like the attention the Lambo gets and much prefers going out in the TT. Less striking colours may help a little but I still think you'll draw attention - it's such a stand out design that people can hardly fail to notice it after all.

IMHO, the Gallardos are the most stunningly beautiful cars out there. They took the "origami" premise and elevated it to a perfection. Totally ballsy and gorgeous. When I see one I almost get tears in my eyes. All other cars have been messed with to make them more "appealing." Seems like Lambo just handed the cars over to a gifted design team and they are allowed to do what they want. WOW.

Would be hard to pass on this piece of Art and get the TT. At least you can park the Porsche on most civilized streets and forget about it. The attention factor is bad. Sorry, but unless I were into collecting cars and would be driving this beauty only on occasion, I'd just buy the P-car and do something else with the leftover money not spent.

My heart says Gallardo
    My head says 911
    My son says Gallardo
    My wife says 911

My son also says that if I get the Gallardo he will put the vimto away after him and stop leaving the lights on around the house.

Owned G e-gear back in ?'03 (upon US launch) for some ?3K mis; owned 997TT Tip/PCCB for some 3-4K mis; have 599 F-1/CCM now w/some 2K mis.

G's major weaknesses: poor brake pedal feel/fade resistance (even in mtn twisties); e-gear is generations behind F1 trannies in shift speed/smoothness; weak mid-range tq; awful ground clearance (has lift mech now, but dubious reliability); not as adjustable/comfortable/grippy sport seats as latest/greatest P/F sport seats; in US, G only has 2yr warranty vs 3-4yrs for P/F.....

May want to also consider 599....a brilliantly capable, low-profile, daily-useable luxury coupe that seems to also provide rather competitive perf/feel/traction vs many one-dimensional, much lighter sportscars even in bumpy mtn twisties....and suspect, given likely 599 resale values over next 1-2 yrs, 599 may end up being a cheaper car to own/lease/operate than any ostensibly lower MSRP 997TT/G.....

That's if u can get your hands on a 599 in the US.

This post and the others on this thread are intelligent, helpful and to the point. Good reading, and the type of posts that make Rennteam so worthwhile. Thanks ISUK and others here.

Some other posts can be careless, inflammatory and exagerrated. In that regard, there have been two recent Washington Post articles covering significant libel/defamation lawsuits against online posters who pay no heed to the fact that this and other sites are in the public domain.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    Thanks for the input. I am concerned about the attention drawing factor as my wife might refuse to come out with me if she finds it too much! Obviously the orange and yellow Gs would attract the most attention but maybe black or dark grey will play down the cars dramatic appearance?

mine was black, and it drew massive attention. just as another poster said- cellphone cameras, regular cameras, posing by car in parking lots, following for miles (kind of freaked me out, to tell the truth). e-gear was pretty rough shifting as well. using automatic function for around town driving was really jolting. just wasn't for me. and my wife thought it was "too loud..."

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    My heart says Gallardo
    My head says 911
    My son says Gallardo
    My wife says 911

My son also says that if I get the Gallardo he will put the vimto away after him and stop leaving the lights on around the house.

funny about your son- mine (age 12) really wanted the gallardo as well, then changed his mind after about six months and was unwilling to be seen by his friends in it. he said it was too showy. another reason why i got rid of it.

Thanks for your advice Brakedust. I notice you have an S8. I have an A8 4.2TDI on order for end of April. Are you happy with it?

Panther,
    Good luck with your decision, in the end though it is YOUR decision. Not ours, your son's or your wife's as you're the one that will be driving it the most. Keep us updated brother

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    Thanks for your advice Brakedust. I notice you have an S8. I have an A8 4.2TDI on order for end of April. Are you happy with it?

i love the s8, panther. got it nov 06 and replaced a8L. definitely a sportier, rougher ride (well, rougher for an audi), but while measurably smaller in back seat, still comfortable enough for family. much nicer lines as well, imo. engine runs a bit louder and rougher, as expected for a v10, but just now getting used to that after the delightful quiet of the a8L.

Hey PinkPanther,

IMO you will have much fun with Gallardo but you would not drive it daily as like 997TT.

If you look daily drive go for 997TT but if you look a weekend drive get a Gallardo.

I do have another cars for daily use so i like Gallardo much for weekends. But if you have an order A8 TDI why dont you go to an Lambo dealer and do a good thing for yourself.
    Get a Gallardo.

Anyway its your choice and good luck with the purchase

At the moment its 50:50 but all decisions are postponed until my test drives of the turbo and GT3 on Monday. The GT3 will be at the millbrook proving ground. The OPC is organising the turbo as my transport to get there so the whole day will be a hoot.

It's worth pointing out that there are a lot of revisions to the Gallardo from model year 06 onwards which have greatly improved the car. The e-gear software is revised with smoother shifts, there is a significant power increase, some suspension tweaks and the seats are now slightly wider for increased comfort. There is also a comfort seat option which brings increased padding I believe. The exhaust system has also been revised and the V10 now emits the fantastic F1 style bark without the need to resort to fitting aftermarket systems.

As others have said it really depends on what you are looking for from the car. If it is a weekend toy then the Gallardo wins hands down. It has real soul whereas the TT has a sort of cold, clinical ability. If it is an everday drive then take the TT. It is a more relaxing drive, more comfortable with slightly more compliant suspension, easier to park, blends in more discreetly to other traffic if you don't order it guards red or speed yellow for example and you'll feel safer parking and leaving it in more areas. Whichever car you choose you won't be disappointed

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    My heart says Gallardo
    My head says 911
    My son says Gallardo
    My wife says 911

only watch this video with your famaly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5YoAz67DM

and this videos too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmIkQnTzwec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaS2wWbbWS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Pq_mm9BHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXl0mcbvVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i5ydymcicc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC8N0ylng34

Quote:
    brakedust said:
    Quote:
    Pink Panther said:

mine was black, and it drew massive attention. just as another poster said- cellphone cameras, regular cameras, posing by car in parking lots, following for miles (kind of freaked me out, to tell the truth). e-gear was pretty rough shifting as well. using automatic function for around town driving was really jolting. just wasn't for me. and my wife thought it was "too loud..."

brakedust-
    thanks for this info, being from boston its particularly important to me, Im really curious if your figuring on your incoming car being less expensive to run?

Are you sure baout the clutches ,did you read that report by the p1 club about their lambos ?

Quote:
    franki68 said:
    Are you sure baout the clutches ,did you read that report by the p1 club about their lambos ?

Yes, I'm sure. Read other websites used by Gallardo owners and you'll see. Evo ran an article about buying a used Gallardo a few months back and mentioned it also. The P1 cars get fairly well abused as the members tend to drive them very hard without warming up the engine and gearbox properly before thrashing them. Some "renters", how can I put this delicately, have little experience of using clutches properly in such powerful cars with torquey engines. If any clutch is abused it will have a short life whether it is in a Hertz Ford Mondeo or a P1 Gallardo.

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    Quote:
    brakedust said:
    Quote:
    Pink Panther said:

brakedust-
    thanks for this info, being from boston its particularly important to me, Im really curious if your figuring on your incoming car being less expensive to run?

pretty sure it will be much less- gallardo gets about half the mileage of the tt, and maintenance will be much less. gallardo warranty only two years, i think (maybe only one), versus four(?) for tt. and when i had very squeaky brakes on lambo brand new, they made one adjustment at no cost but told me that they would charge me for further adjustments, despite still being under warranty (what's up with that?). generally, though, no problems, but only had car for 10 months and under 1,000 miles, so not really stressed to determine dependability of it.

Well I never did get to drive the turbo as my OPC no longer has it as a demo car. I did drive the GT3 though and it blew my socks off. Beautiful engine, great noises and excellent steering feel. I enjoyed it as much as the Gallardo so as it is 40k cheaper with less depreciation I think I will let my head rule my heart and go for a GT3.

good choice GT3!

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    Well I never did get to drive the turbo as my OPC no longer has it as a demo car. I did drive the GT3 though and it blew my socks off. Beautiful engine, great noises and excellent steering feel. I enjoyed it as much as the Gallardo so as it is 40k cheaper with less depreciation I think I will let my head rule my heart and go for a GT3.

i think that's a good call. you'll drive it more, enjoy it more, and lose fewer $$$ on it. also not have so many people staring at you. good luck with it!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690709 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409914 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256105 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774865 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM