Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

599 Beats the Enzo!!

According to Road & Track. This is a great article with good videos as well.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=5015

Re: 599 Beats the Enzo!!

599 the best ever

I can only image what Ferrari's next "ultimate" will be like, especially if they bring down the weight from the Enzo.

I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!

It's impossible, believe me

Quote:
    The Hawk said:
    It's impossible, believe me

I want to know more about the factory tuning that andrea was talking about .

BTW, clutch will last only up to 10 or so LC starts...
    So, after that go figure...

Quote:
    Crash said:

There is no such thing as a factory tuning.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

At least that is three times as much as the earlier versions of the F1.

How much is the clutch on the 599 by the way ?

Quote:
    mv said:
    How much is the clutch on the 599 by the way ?

Better don't ask.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

andrea said there was and even presented some numbers - I remember Markus asking him about it.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

andrea said there was and even presented some numbers - I remember Markus asking him about it.

I read Andrea's posts and I was interested so contacted directly Italy for my 599 and they said it was utter rubish, both for 430 and 599. No such thing as different exhaust.

I then asked Andrea via PM who told me that indeed, there was no powerkit for the 599.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

LC is actually intended to save the clutch. It allows wheel spin and hence is not efficient at all but impressive and harmless on the clutch.
    I tried it last weekend on a 599 and it was rather fun, bar utterly pointless.

There is a launch technique that consists in engaging 1st gear then holding left paddle until it blips, then foot on brakes, apply full throttle and release brake.

Canonball departure but that would definitely destroy the clutch quite rapidly.

I drove the 599 over the Francorchamps track, ... it is FAST, but it's FAR from a track car ! it's a pure GT, really NO track car, even a 430 FEELS better on the track (although 599 IS faster than 430 on track) but it can't be compared to a enzo IMO

haha this basically means

Carrera GT > 599 > Enzo

Wow

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I read Andrea's posts and I was interested so contacted directly Italy for my 599 and they said it was utter rubish, both for 430 and 599. No such thing as different exhaust.

I then asked Andrea via PM who told me that indeed, there was no powerkit for the 599.

As I said, there is no such thing as a factory tuning.

I asked and got the same answer, thanks for the clarification Francois.

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    I drove the 599 over the Francorchamps track, ... it is FAST, but it's FAR from a track car ! it's a pure GT, really NO track car, even a 430 FEELS better on the track (although 599 IS faster than 430 on track) but it can't be compared to a enzo IMO

Agreed 100% Patriek. I was at the rallye de Paris last weekend and 599 posted best times at Mangny Cours AND Dijon prenois!

BUT, far less feelsome than a 360CS or even a 430 and way too heavy for the track indeed.
    In long curves like Estoril, the car generates massive body rool despite the fancy suspension, it's just too heavy, what is impressive however is its ability to hold a given trajectory given by the driver.

Brakes are phenomenal!

Definitely a GT car but with sports car credentials!
    IT is stupendously quick in a straight line!

Quote:
    Patriek said:

Was also at the Spa Ferrari days last years and heard similar comments from several people who tested the car : Very fast GT but heavy and less fun than a 430 on the track

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:

Carrera GT > 599 > Enzo

Wow

I like your logic.

Quote:
    dg911 said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

Was also at the Spa Ferrari days last years and heard similar comments from several people who tested the car : Very fast GT but heavy and less fun than a 430 on the track

A friend (who drove nearly every single Ferrari on the track) told me some time ago that the 599GTB handles better on the track than the F40. Lap times available today seem to confirm that. The 599GTB is extremely efficient. Of course the Enzo should be faster still.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

As I said, there is no such thing as a factory tuning.

I asked and got the same answer, thanks for the clarification Francois.

Yes, thanks indeed !

Quote:
    Jean said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:

Carrera GT > 599 > Enzo

Wow

I like your logic.

What logic?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    dg911 said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

A friend (who drove nearly every single Ferrari on the track) told me some time ago that the 599GTB handles better on the track than the F40. Lap times available today seem to confirm that. The 599GTB is extremely efficient. Of course the Enzo should be faster still.

So it's fair to say that today's GT-supercars like the 599 GTB Fiorano achieve the same efficiency on the track than earlier pure race-cars like the F40, but offer all the passenger comfort as well. Impressive!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    dg911 said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

So it's fair to say that today's GT-supercars like the 599 GTB Fiorano achieve the same efficiency on the track than earlier pure race-cars like the F40, but offer all the passenger comfort as well. Impressive!

Exactly! Frankly, I believe that the 599 is probably the most desirable sports car in production today - and rightfully so .

No doubt the 599 is ridiculously fast, but, it's not faster than an Enzo. A back-to-back test would confirm that.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

LC is actually intended to save the clutch. It allows wheel spin and hence is not efficient at all but impressive and harmless on the clutch.

There is a launch technique that consists in engaging 1st gear then holding left paddle until it blips, then foot on brakes, apply full throttle and release brake.

Sorry Fanch, but you have this backwards. LC is brutal on the clutch. The concept of LC is to allow the clutch to slip which would increase wear and tear. Allowing the clutch to slip would reduce wheel spin. Less wheel spin = better traction.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Sorry Fanch, but you have this backwards. LC is brutal on the clutch. The concept of LC is to allow the clutch to slip which would increase wear and tear. Allowing the clutch to slip would reduce wheel spin. Less wheel spin = better traction.

Incorrect.
    Tried it no later than last weekend.
    LC allows wheel spin, and hence, no clutch wear.
    Try it, you will see.
    I believe LC is not availabe for US cars.
    Also see EVO roadtest of the 599 where they mention that same case.
    www.evo.co.uk

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Incorrect.
    Tried it no later than last weekend.
    LC allows wheel spin, and hence, no clutch wear.
    Try it, you will see.
    I believe LC is not availabe for US cars.
    Also see EVO roadtest of the 599 where they mention that same case.
    www.evo.co.uk

I wish more emphasis would be paid to rolling starts, which IMO are more indicative of real-world performance - ie. 5-160kph, 50-160kph, 50-200kph etc, rather than standing starts, such as 0-100kph (0-60mph) or 1/4 mile acceleration. US car magazines seem to particularly focus on 0-60mph acceleration, even when testing Supercars - why?

How many owners would "trash" their beloved cars in this manner?

We all know that standing starts are tricky affairs, which are very much driver dependent. Tire type, tire pressure, track conditions etc, all play a very important role. I've heard of GT3s, C2S being revved to 5000-6000rpm before dropping the clutch, inducing severe axle-hop - I find this almost ridiculous. Drivetrains and clutches don't last long with this type of abuse.

Getting back on topic, the 599 should never be able to out-accelerate the Enzo, given its added weight, smaller tires, less favourable weight transfer characteristics and less hp. Can't imagine it would win a rolling start contest, such as 50-250kph or 50-300kph. No way!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM