Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Leipzig Carrera GT Event - Report and Pictures

Quote:
    CF said:
    Anyone on the board with an SLR is free to join so we can see what it's all about.

Nah, much simpler than that Nick, most people don't know how to drive and just wan't bragging rights

really the CGT and SLR are two entirely different cars as the weight and transmission choices of benz illustrates. the slr just does horribly at the track as you'd expect from a "supercar" with that kind of weight and slush box tranny. however, it's probably more user friendly for the posuer on the street exactly because of the same reasons it does so poorly on the track.

(08:36 March 15, 2004)
    Get in Line: Buyers snap up $400,000 SLR McLaren in the U.S.
    Mercedes supercar will arrive this summer

By DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News

Mercedes-Benz says the gull-winged SLR McLaren supercar that debuts this summer is sold out for nearly two years in the United States.

Dealers have taken nearly 200 orders with deposits of $50,000.

Mercedes has not announced a U.S. price for the SLR, but it will be more than $400,000, says Bernie Glaser, product manager in the United States.

Mercedes-Benz will produce 500 annually for seven years - 3,500 SLRs during its life cycle.

U.S. dealers will get 100 to 120 cars a year, Glaser says.

The first SLR won't arrive for several months, but the vehicle already has set the record for the most expensive new car ever sold, according to Mercedes-Benz.

The first production SLR went for $2.1 million at a charity auction in New York in January. The winner was Juliana Terian, owner of Rallye Motors in Roslyn, N.Y. Terian hasn't decided whether to sell or keep the car.

Dealers say wealthy buyers are lusting for the SLR - and not necessarily because they plan to drive it. Many want it as a collectible, and some will try to resell the SLR in hopes of turning a quick profit, they say.

SLR owners are likely to treat their cars as investments rather than drive them, says Joseph Agresta Jr., vice president of Benzel-Busch Motor Car Corp, an Englewood, N.J., Mercedes dealership.

"I can't see this thing driving down the street," Agresta says. "It's an incredible piece of machinery, engineering and design."

Rick Bastin, owner of Mercedes-Benz of Palm Beach in West Palm Beach, Fla., says his dealership has taken about 15 orders. He has stopped taking orders because "we don't think we'll get as many cars as ordered. We could have sold a lot more."

Bastin, whose dealership is in one of the country's wealthiest areas, predicts that many of his buyers will try to resell their SLR for a profit.

Steve Smythe, president of Beverly Hills Ltd. in California, expects to receive two SLRs this year, three in 2006 and two in 2007.

"We have about 50 people who want to buy the car," Smythe says. "Those who can't get them are interested in offering very large sums of money to get one. We haven't succumbed to that, but it is tempting - getting big money over sticker price."

The SLR competes with a new breed of supercars. With even Ford offering an exotic car, the GT, dealers say Mercedes-Benz needed a halo car to cement its reputation as a technology leader.

In recent years, Mercedes has been heavily promoting vehicles made by AMG, its in-house performance unit. Last year, 5 percent of sales in the United States - about 11,000 units - were AMG models, Glaser says.

For several years, the United States has been the major market for AMG models, which are pricier and more performance-tuned versions of regular Mercedes cars.

The SLR was developed with Formula One racing partner McLaren, but the supercharged V-8 5.5-liter engine with 617 hp, comes from AMG. McLaren builds the car at its factory in Woking, England. The supercar has a carbon fiber composite body, ceramic brake discs and other racing technology.

The US allotment is sold out. Dealer are claiming that for every allotment they were given they had 50 buyers. This is despite the fact every car magazine has found some serious limitations to the SLR.

Particularly disturbing is they are building more SLR's than CGT's.

Along with the reasons you cite, the issue of the car holding its value remains paramount in many buyers minds here in the US. Two people I know who have made deposits for the CGT are backing out (in CA by law they can get their deposit back) expressing concern over this issue.

Reading this article, there are several statements which suggest that this is a bubble just waiting to burst.

3500 cars in this price class being bought as a collectible? HELP!

No, I haven't ordered one.

fritz

With the amount of praise thrown at the CGT, I'd be surprised if any other supercar owners came to rennteam.

Let alone the SLR

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    With the amount of praise thrown at the CGT, I'd be surprised if any other supercar owners came to rennteam.

Let alone the SLR

Bilal, if you've had experienced what I experienced in Leipzig, let alone the Carrera GT, you'd be a Porsche fanatic now. Remember? I owned several Mercedes cars, including 3 AMG models and I love Porsche cars more and more. When I sat in that GT2, it felt like a glove, I felt "at home" again. It is difficult to describe but you have to experience this feeling for yourself.

BTW: other "supercar owners" usually also own a Porsche or and/other sportscars. I just talked to CR today, as you know he owns a Ferrari AND a Porsche. He told me that he never would have bought the Enzo but he's really interested in the CGT, especially because he thinks this is a super sportscar you can use on a daily basis.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

Let alone the SLR

Bilal,
    I agree with you about not too many SLR owners coming to rennteam. I don't think they are the kind of people who are interested in supercars.
    They might not even be interested in cars at all, come to think of it.

fritz

Quote:
    Anyone on the board with an SLR is free to join so we can see what it's all about.

Or an Enzo,Zonda or Koenigsegg for that matter!

Very Very awesome!!!

thats the best writeup I've seen!!! Thanks so much RC for the writeup

btw I like this sentence the most " Cayenne Turbo is actually the fastest car, even faster than the CGT. Only when its raining"

LOL!! you are the best!!!

great report and video!! wonderful... it's like being there myself...

thank you christian (and christian)!!

porsche leipzig and the people working there must be really special. i remember that i contacted the porsche driving school 1 or 2 months ago via email regarding some issues (mainly track insurance) of their training program. jochen albig answered promptly, personal and detailed. and this guy can drive too...

Great report !
    I've also returned from Leipzig yesterday. I've visited the factory, but without a ride on the circuit.

I've seen that Cayenne that you're talking about

All I can advise to Porschists : if you can, go to Leipzig and see how the CGT is assembled. June 2005 is the end of the production, so hurry if you want to see something historic.

I've started counting and conclusion : the last weekend I've seen 14 Carrera GT's How can you tell that to someone ? You can't, go see it yourself.

The welcoming and the kindness of the employees is indeed of a high level. Thanks to Porsche Leipzig.

CYA,
    Rufie.

Excellent Report!

Thanks
    Ciaoo

SUPER report and video! Thanks for sharing!

RC:

Thanks for the report, it is amazing

Thanks for making us like porsche More!

Always will

I have a pic from my visit to Leipzig that I want to share with you :

If you're interested you can find more here :
    http://www.flat-6.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8035

Best wishes,
    Rufie

nice pic Rufie!

Wow, awesome report, thanks for posting!
    -Joost-

Look who's driving!...

The pads need to be replaced, but the discs still look good.

yellow!

ditto

!

a few strange toys...

oops!

no park-radar, huh?...

master cylinder

another teaser...

make your choice!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802975 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448480 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266007 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6492 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832860 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM