Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

550 Spyder...can anybody give me advice?

Well....I have to confess I love cabrios, but for me the nicest in history is this.........(only the style of the AC Cobra can match this lines)

Can anybody give me advise of which "replica" in the market is the very best?

....we only have a life (at least "here"), and I am beguinning to be fed up only seing pics of this marvelous design....I would really love to have one, even if is a good replica....

...I suppose the originals are "untouchable"....

Re: 550 Spyder...can anybody give me advice?

Not sure if they are the best, but they look gorgeous:

On Ebay they sell a 550 Replica with 993 engine for EUR90k:

EBAY 550

Keep us posted if you buy one!

Again, can't comment on quality, but there are a couple of British firms that also make 550 replicas:

http://www.chesil.co.uk/intro.asp
    http://www.holmesmotor.co.uk/

I thought Beck made a pretty good replica too.

http://www.beckspeedster.com/ourproducts/550spyder.html

The Beck's are pretty decent. Seen a handful in Connecticut tooling around on nice days. I believe you can get a completely finished one for around 30-40k

This link might be helpful (10 makers):

http://www.spyderclub.com/phpbb2/links.php?t=sub_pages&cat=1

http://www.automotivelegends.com/USA/malibu/spyder/

Tanks so much for your background!

This forum is really great...I feel if we where close friends.

Please allow me a day or two to see all possible options to decide.

But I had already made up my mind....even if is a replica, I would love to see that beauty in my garage....If I purchase it, of course I'll share it with you....and, if you wish, not only pics....just pay us a visit in BCN (No Hotel booking needed....my company runs turistic apartments rentl.....for rennteam members the fee is cero...Seriously talking)

Well, it could sound stupid to buy a replica, but life is the "art of the possible"..........sorry, but I think this is the nicest spider ever conceived (even nicer than the Gallardo Spider)

By the way folks, the performance of those creatures is not a data we should not forget about.......not really slow for the price!

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    The Beck's are pretty decent. Seen a handful in Connecticut tooling around on nice days. I believe you can get a completely finished one for around 30-40k

oh, how i would love to trade my cooper and some cash for one...

ive wondered if the say, beck 550 replica , is available with high hp subaru boxer engine...you know how it runs in the sedan imagine in a light wt 550...whoa!

Quote:
    Byron said:
    Tanks so much for your background!

This forum is really great...I feel if we where close friends.

Please allow me a day or two to see all possible options to decide.

But I had already made up my mind....even if is a replica, I would love to see that beauty in my garage....If I purchase it, of course I'll share it with you....and, if you wish, not only pics....just pay us a visit in BCN (No Hotel booking needed....my company runs turistic apartments rentl.....for rennteam members the fee is cero...Seriously talking)

Well, it could sound stupid to buy a replica, but life is the "art of the possible"..........sorry, but I think this is the nicest spider ever conceived (even nicer than the Gallardo Spider)

By the way folks, the performance of those creatures is not a data we should not forget about.......not really slow for the price!

Buy a good replica is not stupid IMO
    I like so much the 550 1500 like the James Dean car, it's gorgeous

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    ive wondered if the say, beck 550 replica , is available with high hp subaru boxer engine...you know how it runs in the sedan imagine in a light wt 550...whoa!

Yes, Boulder Speedsters http://boulderspeedsters.com/ does offer Subaru motors. Faster for sure (especially available turbo version), but lacking the air-cooled sound, lighter weight, simplicity, and authentic sound...

I want to buy a decent and nice "cabrio"....and for me, this is the nicest....maybe the Lambo Gallardo is as nice, but I need not another "powerful" car...I prefer to enjoy the "PURE" lines of a Porsche......

By the way, thancking very much all the links, I find that most are America made....all very good, but I live in Europe, so, to be realistic, I'd need european factories is anybody would not mind.....

This is not a project for tomorrow, but for the near future...

But I love so much the car!

.....and please let me insist, the performance for the price is not a joke...

http://www.thunderranch.com/rsk.html

They do the 550 and even more interstingly a 718 RSK! They use the original beck designs which have been upgraded and modified. Supposedely if not the best, then one of them. You can fit a flat-6 in them. I think an RSK with a hot 2.2, 908 cams etc. and about 230bhp would be a great little fun track toy.

Quote:
    Mithras said:I think an RSK with a hot 2.2, 908 cams etc. and about 230bhp would be a great little fun track toy.

I agree! Don't you mean 906 cams though?

Byron, some advice..

They are very unforgiving in their handling so you are better off with out extreme hp.

Do not get one with a Subaru engine. The extra weight,
    Subi noise and radiators destroys the experience.

Sometimes simpler is better. A 175hp modded flat 4 VW engine is easy to build and maintain. They sound good, are close to the original in tone and keep the weight light.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Mithras said:I think an RSK with a hot 2.2, 908 cams etc. and about 230bhp would be a great little fun track toy.

I agree! Don't you mean 906 cams though?

I most certainly do!

On Jim's advise to use a VW four... I've had ahot 2ltr, 2.4 and 2.5ltr fours. Ultitmatly the 2.5 made about 200bhp and lots of torque. All at 5000rpm... While they were good little engines I think the torque would overpower a little car like the 550/RSK. Reguardless of the few hundred pound weight penalty, I would go with a high reving 6. But that's just me.

My 2.5GTU engine with 270bhp would be scary (and scary fun) in a little 1,500 pound toy like that!

Mithra weigh a 911 engine, even a 2.2 or a 2.4, they are very heavy.

Just as a base line, a 220hp 3.2 air cooled Carrera engine weighs approx 480lbs. To get more than 220hp can get expensive.

New pistons /barrels/intake/cams/valves/ignition,headers
    etc ..plus labor can come close to 20K US easy,and that doesnt include a used engine to start working on.

With the replicas suspension design and aerodynamics
    270hp would be dicey I think. And in the rain it might
    be a moving tombstone. Lots of hp needs lots of rubber and lots of wheel width. Replicas arent known for that.

You can get a flat 4 VW engine to rev. A roller crank,
    light weight flywheel,the right combo of crank, pistons, cam and rods with a EFI that has 4 throttle bodies w/stacks and a crankfire ignition can make it a scream like a banshee from hell.

Hey, its not a car for ultimate Ring times, its a fun car. Sometimes with fun cars you dont need ultimate power or F1 car like handling to have fun with on a daily basis.

Check out current state of the art hot flat 4 VW engines, you will be amazed!

Mithras, thank very much for your advice, I relly appreciate.

But, I'm more in the way of Jim Flat6....I don't want a raw performer (other projects are in that way), I'd rather try to feel one of the nicest cars in history. So, the lighter, the better. I don't wanna a pure cabrio for performing...it's just for...self satisfaction, just VICE!

It's the same as when I go tho the Gallery of Degli Uffici or to the National Gallery in Trafalgar square....for me the art is a must. And this car is pure art under any angle.

You suggested me, very gently, a very exciting range of possibilities (more that I'd expect), but, please keep in mind: I live in Europe, and homologation for such car and for road use, specially coming from America, could be a challenge.

Maybe considering a european builder with make the reality easer....

Jim...can I ask you who offers that flat 4VW as engine (it "sounds" fantastic)?

Is it in Europe?

Thank you very much once again

For the European market these guys are very good. They can build you a fantastic sounding engine.

http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/index.html

In California these guys are very good and they do ship worldwide: www.serranosvw.com

Here is a sample pricing of their work:
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=342467

As for speccing a hot VW engine, the sky is the limit and they can be configured in so many ways that its mind boggling. For some basic technical articles checkout

For street use in a replica with relatively narrow tires I think 175hp is really more than plenty. The car doesnt weigh much and likely you are not going to attempt any land speed records.

I cant spec a engine build for you here, it is quite a involved list of machine work and parts selection. My advice is to gather what knowledge you can about parts and current state of the art VW engine builds and then select a reputable engine builder with a national or international reputation.

There are forums for VW powered replica Porsches and hot VW's. It is likely someone from the EU is there with current and practical knowledge of homoglation issues for the Continent.

What you also need is some practical advice regarding transmission gearing/engine output/tire size for those cars.
    That will vary depending if you go with a 4spd or 5spd box.
    For that you will need input from some who has been there and done that with the replica of your choice.

And now for some sacrilige.. The replica you build will be better performing and more reliable than any 4cyl Porsche speedster ever was when they were new! So enjoy it wholeheartedly!

If you do choose to go with the type 4 VW engine (as in the 914/4 and 912) I would suggest a 2.4ltr engine. My 914 used to be a 4 cylinder and I've gone through many iterations of these engines and within the triangle of power/price/performance the 2.4 came out tops. Simply it is a 2.0ltr with 102mm pistons. To get bigger than that you either have to stroke it out (using a crank from a Rabbit) or go to 103 or 105mm p&c's (which have been known to go oval fast).

I ran my 2.4 with dual 44 webber carbs, a 3/4's cam, lightweight valves from a 350 chevy race engine and out through a very very good set of headers and into a phase9 exhaust. It made a pretty consistent 180bhp and over 200lb/ft of torque. The 2.5 made about 25 more horsepower but was 3 times more temperamental and lasted about half as long. Knowing what I know now about it, I would not have built the 2.5 (but it made me go to a 6 cylinder, so it's not all bad...)

A 550 replica at around 1,500lbs with 180 bhp will be a pleasantly fast car. Boxter S fast though, not Turbo fast.

Mithra - 914's rock!

A 2.5 914 with airport gears accellerates ruthlessly.

The 912E used a type 4 engine and the earlier 912's used the engine from the 356.

Whatever type 4 engine you select, get a external oil cooler
    because the standard unit and stock thermostat are the evil duo that destroy them.

I wish Porsche would build a modern 2100lb car and put the
    a 290hp VR6 in it. Bring back the basketweave!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Mithra - 914's rock!

A 2.5 914 with airport gears accellerates ruthlessly.

The 912E used a type 4 engine and the earlier 912's used the engine from the 356.

Whatever type 4 engine you select, get a external oil cooler
    because the standard unit and stock thermostat are the evil duo that destroy them.

I wish Porsche would build a modern 2100lb car and put the
    a 290hp VR6 in it. Bring back the basketweave!

I hear ya! A little $40,000 VR6 roadster like the 914 would be a fantastic car for Porsche to produce.

As for the 4 cylinder, Jim's right on. I had the "tuna tin" which was am oil sump extension on the engine along with a accusump in the truck with another couple of litres of oil in it. It was needed! Remember the 4 cylinders are wet sumps and don't have the oil of the 6 cylinders of the day.

Put a 914/6 GT oil cooler in the front and you're set.

Thank you very much for your very valuable info. I'm sincerely impressed by your knoledge.

With all this data I'll try to find some light, and see if any european builder can do it and taking in serious consideration what you said, wich sounds to me very coherent (specially the type of engine and not to abuse about power, due to the nature of the car).

I hope soon can give some news.

Thanks a lot

Thank you and we all wish you the best of luck with your project.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688657 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408740 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773428 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM