Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Visited... Uk now I have 520 BHP..Europipe to come

A trip over to the Uk last week involved first a visit to Europipe in Belgium.
    The production 997 TT exhaust is not far away.
    They have measured a backpressure drop from .49 bar to .12 Bar.
    They are just ironing out a boom/drone at around 2000 rpm.The workmanship looks amazing and they will be using 100 cell cats but much larger than standard,ie no warning lights(makes sense)
    A few days later the car was on the rolling road at West tuning at thruxton.
    464.3 Bhp was measured .The engine is still very fresh only 3000 miles ! After removing the Ecu and reprograming boost and ignition curves 519.6 BHP Was measured.
    On the real road the effect was most noticable between 5500 rpm and 6500 rpm .
    A top end urge, that was missing before,is very evident now.
    West reckons a further 15 to 20 Bhp could be produced with a new exhaust(ie Europipe )and some further fine tuning.
    These figures were produced with little more than 0.1 Bar extra boost at the top end,but mixed in with custom ignition curve massaging, this in my eyes is the only way to chip a turbo car safely...on a rolling road not by post !!

pic 2

pic 3

First Standard run..

ecu removed

ecu removed

temps

temps and pressure of the day

Re: pic 2

Interesting... That is Audi RS4 stock exhaust on pic 2...

Final curves

Final power curves.
    Blue was the standard car.
    There are two red ones.
    The first (red.. lower power one ) was before the top final( fine tweaked)red..one topping out at 519.6BHP

West plays with many Rs4 Audis...Some of them do not produce anything close to factory power quotes !!

All the figures were with sport button ON.ie overboost... and air con OFF

I see that max. revs with your mods are 7000rpm. So, what is their claim for max. speed? 325km/h?

I saw 322 Kmh on the speedo in Germany the other day....still pulling ! In the red line... then I ran out of road !!
    Anyones guess ...but I reckon you would hit the rev limiter soon ! Change the gearing for top speed if it is that important !

1EXWIFE - so you're the owner .

Oh Yes !
    I have reserved... 2 EXWIFE and 3 EXWIFE !!! thats enough !
    By then I will be driving a Trabant !!!!

Re: Visited... Uk now I have 520 BHP..Europipe to come

Are you measuring rear wheel or flywheel HP?

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    Oh Yes !
    I have reserved... 2 EXWIFE and 3 EXWIFE !!! thats enough !
    By then I will be driving a Trabant !!!!

Well, if after your third failed marriage we still see you in a Porsche with the plate "2DEADXS", then we will know that you took care of that little problem .

The rolling road was calculating flywheel Bhp.As that is what most people want.

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    The rolling road was calculating flywheel Bhp.As that is what most people want.

Interesting that it only produces 464 bhp. There has been talk in another thread that Porsche dyno test each TT engine before installing it. Is this simply because, like you've said, the car still has low mileage?

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    They are just ironing out a boom/drone at around 2000 rpm.The workmanship looks amazing and they will be using 100 cell cats but much larger than standard,ie no warning lights(makes sense)
    464.3 Bhp was measured .The engine is still very fresh only 3000 miles ! After removing the Ecu and reprograming boost and ignition curves 519.6 BHP Was measured.
    West reckons a further 15 to 20 Bhp could be produced with a new exhaust(ie Europipe )and some further fine tuning.
    These figures were produced with little more than 0.1 Bar extra boost at the top end,but mixed in with custom ignition curve massaging, this in my eyes is the only way to chip a turbo car safely...on a rolling road not by post !!

Are you saying that with an ECU tune you got only 519hp at the crank? that's kind of weak because ecu tuned cars here in the US (without exhaust) are making over 470hp at the wheels which is about 540 hp crank at least.
    also everybody who has dynoed a stock TT got 420-440hp at the wheels, your 464hp at the crank is way too low.
    If you look at the difference though between before and after, it looks like you gained about 50hp with the tune which is acceptable but the absolute numbers are low.

Re: Visited... Uk now I have 520 BHP..Europipe to

Ah - the Turbo wheels are back on.. were the Carrera Classics on snow tyres ?

Yes...... the carrera classics had snow tyres on.
    In Sweden its the law between 1 st Dec and 1st March to have snow tyres on, to drive in winter conditions.

Every rolling road will give different figures.
    If it is crank or flywheel it does not matter.
    As long as the test proves a before to after improvement you know you are going the correct way !
    West tuning have dynoed several 997 turbo models .
    They all produced within( approx) 10 bhp of each other.
    Mine was in the middle.
    Only one car failed badly producing about 420 Bhp !
    West told the owner to take it back to Porsche ! as they thought it was a duff one !and no point in modding it.
    Anyway just to have a dig at the yanks. I reckon USA dynos over read .
    As Top Gear revealed the other day ... a Gt Shelby 500 Mustang only produced 450 Hp.The steaks are BIG but tast of nothing in the USA
    JUST KIDDING !!!

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    Every rolling road will give different figures.
    If it is crank or flywheel it does not matter.
    As long as the test proves a before to after improvement you know you are going the correct way !
    West tuning have dynoed several 997 turbo models .
    They all produced within( approx) 10 bhp of each other.
    Mine was in the middle.
    Only one car failed badly producing about 420 Bhp !
    West told the owner to take it back to Porsche ! as they thought it was a duff one !and no point in modding it.
    Anyway just to have a dig at the yanks. I reckon USA dynos over read .
    As Top Gear revealed the other day ... a Gt Shelby 500 Mustang only produced 450 Hp.The steaks are BIG but tast of nothing in the USA
    JUST KIDDING !!!

First off - Great thread. thanks for sharing your experience, it's so interesting to see real stock & modded dyno's & the picures to go along w/ the info. just fantastic. It's also very interesting that there could be such a difference in hp from one car to the next, do you think it has anything to do w/ being the very first cars to be manufactured and as time goes by this will get more within a tigher range? Also congratulations on your decision to create more hp/tq. Sorry I'm very under the weather today, what were your mod.'s?

Oh also, do you think stock hp is any greater when the car is one the move and up to high highway speeds vs. sitting still on a dyno?

I reckon the gains found on a modern dyno with correct airflow and engine cooling properties are pretty much what you get on the road .
    Great care must be taken with turbo cars because of the heat generated over a succesion of dyno runs.
    After two runs it could take up to 45 minutes for the car to cool down to normal operating temps.Otherwise the car ,with a modern ecu, would just retard the ignition and the power produced would be less.
    Unless of course you have a dyno in a wind tunnel pushing over 100 mph wind at 15 c ...that would be good
    The only mod so far is this ecu re program. Exhaust next then back to the dyno..

Chopper - Interesting, I hear good things about Ray West, I was going to visit him with my RS6+ Do you recall what he charges to do a straight dyno plot?

Question, as I'm new to Porsche, but certain Audi dealers became VERY difficult if they had a whiff of remapping or exhaust upgrades and would flatly void your warranty on the spot, even if it was a suspension issue or windscreen wiper. Others were more forgiving providing you had the work done at one of their recommended tuners, and others were fine altogether unless it was a direct ECU or gearbox claim. What are people's thoughts on this, and will Porsche introduce their own aftermarket upgrades? I'm already getting itchy feet!! That said I'm not prepared to take to risk on a brand new Pounds100K car without plenty of reassurance.

Thanks

Quote:
    hellgelb said:
    Ah - the Turbo wheels are back on.. were the Carrera Classics on snow tyres ?

Curious...I think the car looks much better with this wheels than original ones.

J.Seven

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    West plays with many Rs4 Audis...Some of them do not produce anything close to factory power quotes !!

Chopper I believe you must be refering to the V8 RS4 because the older V6 TT was usual to put more than the 380Hp declared by factory.

J.Seven

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Chopper said:

Are you saying that with an ECU tune you got only 519hp at the crank? that's kind of weak because ecu tuned cars here in the US (without exhaust) are making over 470hp at the wheels which is about 540 hp crank at least.
    also everybody who has dynoed a stock TT got 420-440hp at the wheels, your 464hp at the crank is way too low.
    If you look at the difference though between before and after, it looks like you gained about 50hp with the tune which is acceptable but the absolute numbers are low.

Yeah...and I'm pretty sure that all US chiptuned Turbos also meet local emissions laws.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Chopper said:

Yeah...and I'm pretty sure that all US chiptuned Turbos also meet local emissions laws.

You're an evil man, Christian .

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Chopper said:

I don't know how you can be pretty sure of that, but I can tell you this: CA has some of the most strict emissions laws and all cars older than 6 years have to undergo a smog test every 2 years. Newer cars like mine don't have to be tested the first 6 years, instead you pay an abatment fee of 12$ or so each year. after 6 years you have to smog the car.
    Since there are hundreds of US chipped cars in CA that are older than 6 years, I don't think your statement is true. If I keep the car longer than 6 years and have to smog it, I will let you know if it passes or not, until then I will enjoy my US tuning .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690944 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410104 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858765 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775068 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM