Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2017 V12 Vantage S test,150mph on a lake and a Geman gets tasered

Let's just say I got spoiled by the 918 in straight line acceleration and the cornering Gs of my race car on slicks. 

Nothing else compares and now I am just going for quirky slow cars for the street smiley

I can always buy another 812, they are not going anywhere unlike the disappearing manual cars. From having none for the last 10 years to 3 now, the Turbo 3.6, the 911R and the Aston. 

--

Oh, almost forgot, another shocker.

I also just bought a Golf R. 

Even more shocking, it's not black, it's Lapiz Blue! angel

--

Whoopsy:

There is hope for you yet Smiley.

Whoopsy:

OK, what just happened? Did hell freeze over? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

So for when did you make an appointment to wrap it in black?Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

He got this car for his wife (or kid(s))? Smiley Smiley).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

You guys know me too damn well!

My son just turned 16. His first car. He was gonna pick the base model Golf TSI, I vetoed it and turned it into the Golf R! Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Here is another shocker.

I have decided to let go of the F12 to make room for the Aston.

It was my quasi daily but with a Turbo S Exclusive incoming that daily job can be handled by the Porsche.

Don't really need 730HP for a daily street car, and the F12 wasn't that great on the track either. I have gotten over chasing mega HP for street cars. The 600HP Turbo S Exclusive will be perfectly fine and good enough. And yes, I have a 700HP GT2RS coming, but that car is an RS and that means I can play with it on the track.

Now dropping even lower for the V12 Vantage S and I have no regrets.

Im guessing you are in hunt for exclusive rim/tyre for winter too

I love that the DL7 is getting so much appreciation here! I've sadly only managed to rack up around 400 miles on mine so far, but I enjoy driving it tremendously!

Drove the DBS on the week-end - they just feel very cool kiss

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

My son just turned 16. His first car. He was gonna pick the base model Golf TSI, I vetoed it and turned it into the Golf R! Smiley

Since I assume that you are a good father (your son must love your for your car collection only Smiley Smiley), have some fun with your son at driving ed events. I already plan to do tons of them with my son, once he turns 18 (unfortunately, we have a different driving age here...17...but only with an adult in the passenger seat). 

I have to admit I won't get him a car like the Golf R (because I remember the crap I did after I had my first car, a Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 with 115 hp and I am lucky I am still alive) but it will be something "cool", so he doesn't need to feel bad about driving it. Not sure however what kind of cool car I can get him without lots of power. Smiley (still working on that).

--

You can do crazy dangerous stuff with any car with any power, it's not about the car you buy him, but rather what kind of a kid he is, and not necessarily a bad kid vs good kid but how much of a risk taker he is, maturity level, if his peers are a positive or negative influence I'm this subject, etc.

I would worry more about it's active safety features, awd/fwd vs rwd,  tires, etc... driving ed to learn control in emergency maneuvers, wet vs dry, etc.... ans setting a good example for him early on.

--

Carlos from Spain:

You can do crazy dangerous stuff with any car with any power, it's not about the car you buy him, but rather what kind of a kid he is, and not necessarily a bad kid vs good kid but how much of a risk taker he is, maturity level, if his peers are a positive or negative influence I'm this subject, etc.

True but I was a good kid, already had two years my motorcycle (at that time limited in power and speed) driver's license and had driving experience in cars, go-karts, etc. and still...once I had the car...oh boy... Smiley

We have a saying here: Trust but verify.  Smiley (actually, I think Ronald Reagan said this as well once... Smiley)

I would worry more about it's active safety features, awd/fwd vs rwd,  tires, etc... driving ed to learn control in emergency maneuvers, wet vs dry, etc.... ans setting a good example for him early on.

Not sure about Nick but for me, this is too late. Smiley Smiley My son saw me in certain driving situations during driving events and meets (even worse, he usually sat aside because he wasn't allowed to be in the car), so... Smiley This is actually the main reason why I want to take him to driving ed events...he thinks everything is easy and cool but once he will sit behind the steering wheel, loosing control at 100 kph (under controlled conditions), he will be quite surprised. Smiley Smiley Real cars are no Playstation toys.

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

True but I was a good kid, already had two years my motorcycle (at that time limited in power and speed) driver's license and had driving experience in cars, go-karts, etc. and still...once I had the car...oh boy... Smiley

We have a saying here: Trust but verify.  Smiley (actually, I think Ronald Reagan said this as well once... Smiley)

That is why I said that I wasn't talking about being a good vs bad kid, you can be a good kid and still do dangerous things, I was a good kid too,mature for my age, etc but I liked to take risks and liked adrenaline, so I was very stupid Smiley  embarrassingly so when I look back from my perspective now, and with motorcycles even worse cause they were better than cars for that purpose.

That said you can't hold back on buying them a car as soon as possible even if they show signs of being like a lot of us here were when young, since there is something worse than driving their own car and that is riding as a passenger on one of their friends car Smiley at least you know your kid, instructed him, etc. Bikes are different, fortunately for me my daughter shows no interest for motorcycles cause I would never let her get one, and specially never ride as a passenger, ever.

--

Mike S:

I love that the DL7 is getting so much appreciation here! I've sadly only managed to rack up around 400 miles on mine so far, but I enjoy driving it tremendously!

Congrats on taking delivery Mike and welcome to the V12VSM club! Smiley

More pics please!

--

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Dogleg Manual, Kermit Green, Buckets

That Dog-Leg 7 speed is so cool.  Too bad the new Manual GT3 doesn't have that.  But then it would be too embarrassing for Porsche if it was faster around the Ring than the PDK-S indecision

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

There is a manual GT3 in this decade?cool

SciFrog:

There is a manual GT3 in this decade?cool

4 of them, all Classics! (997.2 3.8, 997.2 3.8 RS, 997.2 4.0 RS, 991.2 4.0) Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Adam2S:
    Mike S:

More pics please!

Thank you Adam! I embarrassed to say actually got the car during March, but just haven't had time to take it on a proper road trip yet and thus a lack of pictures. I have one of the interior. It came out quite cool in my opinion Smiley

Looks great! kiss

--

Lovely, very classy the blue with the silver.  Works really well with the silver stitch and seat door inserts, which tie back to the exterior.  Very nice! kiss

Which of the blue leathers is that?

--

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Dogleg Manual, Kermit Green, Buckets

Mike S:
    Adam2S:
    Mike S:

More pics please!

Thank you Adam! I embarrassed to say actually got the car during March, but just haven't had time to take it on a proper road trip yet and thus a lack of pictures. I have one of the interior. It came out quite cool in my opinion Smiley

We actually knew you got the car earlier in the year cause of your earlier post, was just waiting for you to post pics Smiley

Lovely car Mike. 

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Since I assume that you are a good father (your son must love your for your car collection only Smiley Smiley), have some fun with your son at driving ed events. I already plan to do tons of them with my son, once he turns 18 (unfortunately, we have a different driving age here...17...but only with an adult in the passenger seat). 

I have to admit I won't get him a car like the Golf R (because I remember the crap I did after I had my first car, a Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 with 115 hp and I am lucky I am still alive) but it will be something "cool", so he doesn't need to feel bad about driving it. Not sure however what kind of cool car I can get him without lots of power. Smiley (still working on that).

He was gonna get a TSI, the wife wanted a GTI cause of the red stripe. I looked at specs and decided that the R is the proper choice with awd. The extra HP wasn't a concern as he knows HP and won't go deep into the gas pedal. 

He will be doing a Mercedes driving school, and another driving course from my track that's accredited with FIA. 

Primarily reason for the R was the awd. With the long raining season here in Vancouver it would not be a good idea to let him drive a 2wd car. 

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

He was gonna get a TSI, the wife wanted a GTI cause of the red stripe. I looked at specs and decided that the R is the proper choice with awd. The extra HP wasn't a concern as he knows HP and won't go deep into the gas pedal. 

He will be doing a Mercedes driving school, and another driving course from my track that's accredited with FIA. 

Primarily reason for the R was the awd. With the long raining season here in Vancouver it would not be a good idea to let him drive a 2wd car. 

I believe more power does bring more chances to have an accident when young . It is hard to judge properly how much power you can use in tricky situations . The lower , the less chances the mistakes . 

I am also not in favor for too much driving aids when young as one needs to learn . My kids will have a manual shift car , with front wheel drive , not too powerful . 

Courses like yours will take is the best thing one can do . At the same time it teaches them to drive fast , which can be misused by young man , specially when with friends . 

The son of a good friend took his drivers licence in Miami ( they moved there for 3 years ) . The licence was a joke . All was done on a parking lot . And for starting from standstill on a hill ....... they just had to '' imagine '' there was a hill SmileySmiley   The licence was done with an automatic .

As the US and the Swiss have an exchange agreement , when he got back he was just given his Swiss licence . The guy is now 20 and can't drive anything else then an automatic Smiley Pretty embarrassing over here . 

I believe you get the best basics when young , so a harder car to drive is actually better !

BTW : My middle son , 13 years old , will be joining me and the Lambo club to go on the track in September and will be allowed to drive my RS around the track  Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Adam2S:

Which of the blue leathers is that?

dark knight or aurora blue?

love the lightweight seats

Gnil:

I believe more power does bring more chances to have an accident when young . It is hard to judge properly how much power you can use in tricky situations . The lower , the less chances the mistakes . 

I am also not in favor for too much driving aids when young as one needs to learn . My kids will have a manual shift car , with front wheel drive , not too powerful . 

Courses like yours will take is the best thing one can do . At the same time it teaches them to drive fast , which can be misused by young man , specially when with friends . 

The son of a good friend took his drivers licence in Miami ( they moved there for 3 years ) . The licence was a joke . All was done on a parking lot . And for starting from standstill on a hill ....... they just had to '' imagine '' there was a hill SmileySmiley   The licence was done with an automatic .

As the US and the Swiss have an exchange agreement , when he got back he was just given his Swiss licence . The guy is now 20 and can't drive anything else then an automatic Smiley Pretty embarrassing over here . 

I believe you get the best basics when young , so a harder car to drive is actually better !

BTW : My middle son , 13 years old , will be joining me and the Lambo club to go on the track in September and will be allowed to drive my RS around the track  Smiley

--

You son is a very lucky boy then! Smiley

The driving test in all of North America, be it USA or Canada, not just Miami is a joke. They will give a license to just about anything with 2 legs and 2 arms. It's way too easy to get a license here as everything thinks driving is a entitlement, not a privilege like in Europe. 90% of the people here with a license will fail the German license test. It's not even funny the bad drivers I have to deal with every day here.

The Mercedes school is accredited young driver driving school. By completing that they get 6 months taken off their probation period, which is normally 2 years after first getting their license.

The track school will be for him to safely explore the power of the car, and get use to how much power will come on with regards to how deep one goes into the throttle. He will also get a chance to explore the car with driving aids off. 

This winter I will likely sign him up to do Camp4 and learn basic car control. Not the European course as they require participants to be 18 and up. The driving age in Canada is 16 so I believe he can do the Canadian Camp4. 

He really isn't keen on driving though, he would rather be driven around instead of driving himself Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Good to know you take care of your kid(s). Smiley Smiley

--

Driving in Miami is sometimes a nightmare... Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

The driving test in all of North America, be it USA or Canada, not just Miami is a joke. They will give a license to just about anything with 2 legs and 2 arms. It's way too easy to get a license here as everything thinks driving is a entitlement, not a privilege like in Europe. 90% of the people here with a license will fail the German license test. It's not even funny the bad drivers I have to deal with every day here.

It really is amazing what a difference the average skill level is between N. America and Europe (far superior in Europe).  It is also very apparent at track days (average track driving skill level here is pretty awful too).  I guess the fact that there is no real public transportation option in the US plays a role (particularly in the Western states).  Driving here is a necessity, while it's chosen (and paid dearly for, including fuel prices) in Europe.

--

Whoopsy:

You son is a very lucky boy then! Smiley

The Mercedes school is accredited young driver driving school. By completing that they get 6 months taken off their probation period, which is normally 2 years after first getting their license.

The track school will be for him to safely explore the power of the car, and get use to how much power will come on with regards to how deep one goes into the throttle. He will also get a chance to explore the car with driving aids off. 

This winter I will likely sign him up to do Camp4 and learn basic car control. Not the European course as they require participants to be 18 and up. The driving age in Canada is 16 so I believe he can do the Canadian Camp4. 

He really isn't keen on driving though, he would rather be driven around instead of driving himself Smiley

That Mercedes school seems excellent and the Camp4 is certainly the best one can do to learn about car dynamics  . Your son will be well prepared Smiley  Unless he refuses to drive Smiley  

Kids are today much less interested in driving ..... my older son does not even want to sit in the RS Smiley

As to driving licence , here they made so difficult that now they are talking about making it a little easier as 60 % fail the first time around Smiley  And if you do not take the exam with an automatic your license with state that you are only allowed to drive automatics, no manual 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754038 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431110 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258758 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255661 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79669 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868629 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802402 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM