Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

tip vs manual

I'm new to this board. Just paid deposit on 997TT for October delivery here in Sydney Australia. Having trouble deciding between manual or tip gearbox. Have a manual Boxster S currently which is great, but I like the idea of the quicker acceleration of the tiptronic. Car will be used for city driving and long distance touring, 50:50 split. Maybe occasional track day too. Will option sports chrono as well.

Also, have been advised to option the sports exhaust. Is the improvement in sound worthwhile?

Any thoughts/opinions very welcome!

Nick.

Re: tip vs manual

Is a Sports Exhaust available for the Turbo?

Manual is the only way to go, city traffic or no. The only way I would get a slushbox automatic is if my wife was gonna drive it, which she ain't. No sport exhaust for a TT, they've never offered one in the past and probably won't this time around(997) either.

Sports exhaust is available in Australia as I understand it. Makes more noise when SPORT button is pressed. Has to be better than clipping pieces of cardboard to your bicycle spokes....

Quote:
    Nickoz said:
    I'm new to this board. Just paid deposit on 997TT for October delivery here in Sydney Australia. Having trouble deciding between manual or tip gearbox. Have a manual Boxster S currently which is great, but I like the idea of the quicker acceleration of the tiptronic. Car will be used for city driving and long distance touring, 50:50 split. Maybe occasional track day too. Will option sports chrono as well.

Also, have been advised to option the sports exhaust. Is the improvement in sound worthwhile?

Nick.

I would not recommend Tip if you are only interested in slightly quicker gear changes. The Tip might be insignificantly quicker up to 200kph than the Manual. However, any difference - if any - is in the range of .1s to .3s or so. On the other hand the Manual might be slightly (also insignificantly) quicker in other circumstances (like above 200kph or on the track).

I would reccommend that you choose between Tip and Manual on the basis of your preferred style of driving: If you enjoy shifting than go for the Manual. If you always loved auto trannies as you hate the manual involvement of a manual gear box go for Manual. It is as simple as this - a matter of taste

I've been to Zuffenhausen some months ago to check some different colors. I think 90% of the turbos we have seen had a tip.

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    I've been to Zuffenhausen some months ago to check some different colors. I think 90% of the turbos we have seen had a tip.

That's because Porsche says the Turbo is a hint faster than the manual version, so everyone starts buying automatic.

Can't remember if it was Excellence or Panorama, but the Turbo reviewers were initially upset that their demo car had a Tip. By the end of their multi-day drive they were verrry happy with the tip. You can be pretty sure these guys are hard to impress.

When DSG comes out in Porsche I'm DONE with manual trannys forever. Got SMG on my BMW and it's great.

Slinging a clutch, rowing a stick and "being connected to the car" ain't that great especially when you realize you can redirect all that energy to pay attention to other things that are happening with the car/road when you're flying thru space.

The only problem I have with a Tip is it's not quite a DSG. I hear the Tip will be forever discontinued when DSG arrives on the scene.

BTW, when DSG cars come along they will be faster than manual-equipped versions and thus put the manual in historic perspective as being an antiquated technology; one that's been around, practically unchanged, since the beginning.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The only problem I have with a Tip is it's not quite a DSG. I hear the Tip will be forever discontinued when DSG arrives on the scene.

... and this fact alone is a reason NOT to buy a tiptronic now.

Quote:
    Rossi said:

... and this fact alone is a reason NOT to buy a tiptronic now.

Awww Geez, we're sure making it difficult for this poor guy! Yeah, looks like he should get a manual, unless lots of commuting and wife-driving.

The wife-driving thing? Usually the wife says she wants to be included in the car utilization program. BUT I've noticed they decide to stay out of the program once they realize what a PITA it is going to be to drive it (parking dings, no room for shopping, lots of whistles, hard to see out back window, small and cramped, don't want to get admonished for ruining wheels with curb rash).

So you might plan ahead and realize you'll be faced with commuting as your only reason for having gotten the Tip.

Quote:
    Nickoz said:

Nick.

If you are getting the tip only because it is faster, you will be disappointed because the tip is faster only when it is abused from a stand start, otherwise it might actually be slower especially at higher speeds.
    But again, the fact that you are considering an automatic shows that you don't mind. Real manual transmission fans will never consider an automatic for a sports car .

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:

That's because Porsche says the Turbo is a hint faster than the manual version, so everyone starts buying automatic.

Seems that the marketing department did a good job

Wideking's question to them was: how can we sell as many old MB 5 gear trannies as possible (just kidding)

Buy the TIP.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:

Seems that the marketing department did a good job

Wideking's question to them was: how can we sell as many old MB 5 gear trannies as possible (just kidding)

LOL

I Love the tip... perfect

I'm thinking about Speed Yellow and full black for my TT. Did you have the PCM and other dash details finished in black too? Sounds like tip is the way to go for me, but I'll be very interested to drive a TT with a DSG box. Pity it's not available now, but of course there is always something tempting around the corner when it comes to cars and technology!

G'day Nick

You don't have a silver S do you? I know a greek chap who has one... Sydney is a small city....

Anyways, I would go with the manual. I have owned both and can tell you that you will enjoy the involvement of the manual more. Even in Tokyo, I am happy driving a manual. In Sydney apart from the morning rush hour a tip would get boring - my opinion only. I goto Sydney a few times each year and always drive - also lived there for 5 years until 2003 - top city!

Hi Porky, thanks for your thoughts. I guess there is no absolute right or wrong answer to this question and whichever way I go I'm sure I'm going to love the car, but it's very interesting to hear the range of opinions. My S is Speed Yellow, and I'm not Greek. Glad you enjoyed your time here! I live on the northern beaches so plenty of opportunity to get onto the excellent roads in the national park up this way. But my favorite driving in Australia is far western Queensland. Beautiful roads, perfect weather and to see another car is a rarity!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM