Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Lars997:

You buy the 63 for the sound and the 43 for the usability. No doubt, the V8 is the engine you like to hear. Also - not sure if that C43 at your dealer had the Sport Exhaust. It is actually very loud. 

It had the sport exhaust and yes, it was loud but not as "good" as the RS3 I heard recently, just a different sound. The farting was actually the most annoying thing, not necessarily the sound itself. The C63 has a very smooth V8 sound, very nice, even if a bit muted (vs. the C63 I owned).

If you get a C43 get the Brabus box. Ours made on the Dyno 452 HP - very impressive machine. The only thing which I don't like - I think I feel that Turbo too much. It always takes a quarter of a second until the car responses. But - on the Autobahn it is ridiculously fast. Not sure if a 991 Carrera is really faster, probably above 250km/h but not between 120 and 250.

What about warranty? This could be a nice alternative to the C63, depends on cost. We did some number crunching though and the difference between the C43 Cab and the C63 S Cab is basically 250 EUR per month. Ridiculous. If I take the GLC63, I think we are going to take the C63 Cab. If not, my wife needs the AWD, so she is going to take the C43 Cab. 

I am also still thinking about the next gen Cayenne Turbo but what I learned so far...not that impressed (weight difference is around 60 kg only, interior is very nice though, similar to Panamera).

Difficult decisions next year but I really like that GLC63... Smiley

Funny: I showed my wife the Tesla X. She yelled at me as if I made a bad joke, she hates it. I asked her to look inside and sit inside and she did and was even more angry afterwards ("what is it with that iPad in the middle console, I hate touch displays, you know it..."). Smiley Oh, she loves her iPad, funny thing about that touch display comment. Smiley No ELV for us I'm afraid.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

If you're okay with the size, the GLC63 is hard to pass up.

rhino:

If you're okay with the size, the GLC63 is hard to pass up.

Yes, size is OK...now. We fly most of the time, so no need for a larger SUV anymore. I love the compact design of the GLC and that fantastic V8 Biturbo engine in such a small SUV. Was thinking about a G63 AMG but wife hates it, so no point getting one.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Make her drive the Tesla X. Eye opening. 

Leawood911:

Make her drive the Tesla X. Eye opening. 

Women are about looks, not driving per se. Not all of them but my wife couldn't care less about the driving.

"How do I look in this car?" First question. Smiley

--

RC...wait for the new G63......

as for the C63....I would go for the C63S four door. Its a nice sleeper kind of car. I don't see the point in the Cab or Coupe version....these are not real sportscars so the saloon version suits them the best. Same goes for E-class.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

RC...wait for the new G63......

My wife hates the G63, no chance in hell I can get one. Smiley Also too expensive for my budget, I need to get it for my business (a SUV is OK but a price over 100k EUR already raises some eyebrows, I need to stay around 100k, plus/minus 10-20k.)

as for the C63....I would go for the C63S four door. Its a nice sleeper kind of car. I don't see the point in the Cab or Coupe version....these are not real sportscars so the saloon version suits them the best. Same goes for E-class.

My wife wants a convertible. Period. Nothing to argue here. Smiley I understand why she does (she loves convertibles). She would be happy with a C43 Cab as well but since I have to drive it too, well... Smiley It is her business car, so I cannot really force her to get what I want or see fit for her. Smiley A C63 convertible would be OK with her but she is still looking at buying the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab when the lease ends, so let's see where this is going...before I can actually think about the C63.

The GLC63 is almost 70% sure for me (as a business car). At first, I wanted to get the Audi RS3 sedan (got myself a fantastic lease offer from my sales guy) but this car is a compromise and my wife doesn't really like it. Smiley I would have never considered another SUV because they are too big for us now (also because of my customers and the current "vibe" regarding that emissions scandal in Germany) but with the GLC63, it is the perfect size with the perfect engine (for me), so... Smiley  Of course I would de-badge the car. Smiley

Also, Brabus is rumored to offer a 600 hp upgrade for the GLC63 S, cost is quite interesting and it is plug'n play, also it could be installed by the dealership incl. no warranty (lease) issues (still not sure though).

--

Audi R8 V10 Plus long term test review by Car magazine...

Link: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/audi/audi-r8-coupe-v10-plus-2017-long-term-test-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytk34Cl_cY8&feature=youtu.be

Another nice review...

--

Thanks for the long term review, very interesting (and quite accurate).

I do not agree with the tire pressure claim though: Yes, the car is keener to turn in with the higher pressures but the limit gets much narrower as well in the process, which isn't a good thing. The car definitely feels sharper with the higher tire pressures but like I said before, it also looses some curve performance in the process. At least this is my experience and one reason why I drive with the <270 kph tire pressure most of the time (unless I really need to go fast on the Autobahn, for example during that ride with those 918s Smiley).

This is the best description I ever read: 

...and if you thumb the ‘Performance mode’ switch specific to the R8 Plus model, it feels as if it’s morphed into a GT3 race car.

The only problem with that is that many owners/drivers stick to the Dynamic driving mode because of the ESP turning off in Performance mode and many, like me in the beginning, don't seem to know that you can turn ESP back on with Performance mode. I stopped driving in Performance mode most of the time though because of the increased fuel consumption. It has gone up by 3-4 liters / 100 km on average, which is quite surprising (compared to Dynamic mode). Smiley

--

Lars997:

You buy the 63 for the sound and the 43 for the usability. No doubt, the V8 is the engine you like to hear. Also - not sure if that C43 at your dealer had the Sport Exhaust. It is actually very loud. 

If you get a C43 get the Brabus box. Ours made on the Dyno 452 HP - very impressive machine. The only thing which I don't like - I think I feel that Turbo too much. It always takes a quarter of a second until the car responses. But - on the Autobahn it is ridiculously fast. Not sure if a 991 Carrera is really faster, probably above 250km/h but not between 120 and 250.

I like this feeling, reminds the old Turbos from the 80, it was nothing... and all of the sudden BANG a punch in the back, 930 Turbo comes to my mind Smiley

--

J.Seven

Turbo lags are the biggest annoyance, especially if you have a dynamic driving style. 

I drive a Mini JCW as a daily driver and I started hating this car, honestly. The turbo lag is sometimes unbearable, even in the sportiest driving mode. Then, when I drive my wife's Cayenne S Diesel, things aren't necessarily better (although the Cayenne has slightly less lag than the Mini when driven in Sport Plus mode). I started to hate turbo engines because of that lag. It messes up my driving because it always requires some sort of "predictive" driving to adjust to the (expected) turbo lag.

Btw: Compared to my R8 V10 Plus, my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab has a lag, even in Sport Plus. It is unbelievable how "spontaneous" the V10 in the R8 is, especially in Dynamic mode but even more in Performance mode DRY. It is as if my brain is connected to the throttle. One reason I couldn't live with a McLaren or the 488 (even if the 488 has the least turbo lag from all sportscars I ever drove in my life, so Ferrari clearly understood this problem better than other manufacturers).

--

*off topic* Christian, a friend of my parents drives an A1 diesel which is being recalled due to the diesel scandal.
    After some investigation, he found out that fellow A1 drivers complained not only about reduced power, but also worse fuel economy (which is very strange, but ok). All this has made him very weary about sending the car in for the yearly inspection, as he fears that it will be updated with the new software automatically, or that it can not pass inspection without this update. Do you know anything on how to deal with this? (ok, an A1, is not an R8, but still ... :-D )

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

*off topic* Christian, a friend of my parents drives an A1 diesel which is being recalled due to the diesel scandal.
    After some investigation, he found out that fellow A1 drivers complained not only about reduced power, but also worse fuel economy (which is very strange, but ok). All this has made him very weary about sending the car in for the yearly inspection, as he fears that it will be updated with the new software automatically, or that it can not pass inspection without this update. Do you know anything on how to deal with this? (ok, an A1, is not an R8, but still ... :-D )

I cannot say much about the Netherlands but in Germany, owners have basically two possibilities:

1. They accept whatever Audi is doing to their car(s) and move on.

2. They take a lawyer or join a class action suit and hope for the best.

It is absurd to think that VW/Audi used inferior hardware and "masked" it with software cheating and now, out of the blue, they can use an optimized software to correct the hardware issues as well. Impossible.

Meaning: It is pretty clear to me that the software updates will have a negative impact on performance and also, very possible, fuel consumption. In this matter, I do not trust automobile clubs or car magazines because they are way too entangled with the car industry. Same goes to most politicians.

Difficult decision to be honest, personally I wouldn't know what to do right now. 

A friend of mine, he drove a Skoda Yeti with an affected engine variant, did the right thing from the start: He sold it and got himself a different car (BMW X4, gasoline engine, local dealer made an excellent offer). He didn't have the nerves and time to deal with this stuff.

--

Joost:

can a non Audi dealer do the inspection?

sfo:
    Joost:

can a non Audi dealer do the inspection?

Again...talking about Germany: Without the mandatory(!) software update/fix (when available), the car will loose it's certification and would be illegal to drive in Germany. When illegal to drive, you also loose your insurance. Not pretty.

If the car still has warranty, I assume he wants to stick to official Audi dealers. Even if not, if the car is young, there is a goodwill period of up to 5 years or so, which could be risked when going to a non-official repair/maintenance shop.

--

Thanks for your reaction Christian!
    Yeah, that is the problem: when you look the car up in the database of the dutch department of transportation, it has the recall notification.

So I think the options are:

1. Have the car inspected, update done, recall message removed. -> No problems but unhappy customer

2. Have the car inspected, do not update and do not remove the recall message. -> I think in this case the car will not approval until the update is done. (Not sure though, since the whole scandal with the software was not illegal in the EU if I recall correctly)

3. Have the car inspected, do not update but pretend it was updated -> I think this can be done, but you need a cooperating inspector. I don't think the government is ever going to find out, unless you have a heavy accident that needs police investigation. However, the inspector could be in trouble then, so I don't think they will do this for you. Also, inspectors do get audits every now and then, and in that case it would be found out as well.

--

*offtopic* After the SW updates, a lot of EGR valves have died. At least in Finland, all VAG makes will replace them free in this case but it's a bit of an issue if it stops you somewhere very distant.

Kimi:

*offtopic* After the SW updates, a lot of EGR valves have died. At least in Finland, all VAG makes will replace them free in this case but it's a bit of an issue if it stops you somewhere very distant.

Yeah, I heard there were more issues after the update. Thanks for chiming in! Smiley

--

Kimi:

It was to be expected. How can people be that dumb to believe that a simple software update will fix something which required a massive cheating to avoid higher hardware cost?!

--

RC:
    [...]  At first, I wanted to get the Audi RS3 sedan (got myself a fantastic lease offer from my sales guy) [...]

Do you mind sharing the numbers (can be via pm)? A friend of mine is driving the pre-facelift model and thinks about upgrading to the RS3 sedan or S5 prematurely in his lease contract. We have the feeling that his sales guy is ripping him off, based on the experiences he had in recent years. Thanks in advance.

I had both our diesel Audis "updated". From what I gathered engines with AdBlue are easier to fix because the new software injects this emission reducing additive at a higher rate than originally programmed. As a result consumption of AdBlue will increase and Audi are very kind to refill 6 times for free. When I asked why this was not done from the beginning he said that high mileage owners might be discouraged by the cost and trouble of adding AdBlue often.

Engines without AdBLue like the smaller engines in Golf, A1 etc and in some commercial vehicles are more problematic to fix.

--

"Form follows function"

GTR is old as fuck. Why do people keep using it in tests? No one gives a shit about the GTR anymore and hasn't for several years now.

noone1:

GTR is old as fuck. Why do people keep using it in tests? No one gives a shit about the GTR anymore and hasn't for several years now.

Hehe, tell us how you really feel about it indecision

I know what you mean, though - somewhat outdated.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Ferdie:
    RC:
    [...]  At first, I wanted to get the Audi RS3 sedan (got myself a fantastic lease offer from my sales guy) [...]

Do you mind sharing the numbers (can be via pm)? A friend of mine is driving the pre-facelift model and thinks about upgrading to the RS3 sedan or S5 prematurely in his lease contract. We have the feeling that his sales guy is ripping him off, based on the experiences he had in recent years. Thanks in advance.

3 years, 10k per year, new(!) car and fully optioned, aprox. 700 EUR per month (incl. VAT). This was an individual offer for me, but I assume it shouldn't be more than 800 per month (no initial payment whatsoever) because the first offer was 780 without even asking for a discount.

--

"Someone" just joined us as a permanent passenger in the R8...

IMG_5967.JPG

--

Rear-Wheel Drive Audi R8 V10 Teased Before Frankfurt

Audi has just released a brief teaser video of what appears to be the rear-wheel drive R8 V10 prior to the supercar’s Frakfurt Motor Show debut.

Interesting, the 911 R from Audi?

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688829 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408832 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255585 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234837 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857682 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773581 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM