Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017)

They definitely offered the Turbo S wheels as winter package on the GT3 or the R.

as per the dimensions of the Turbo S tyres and the GT3, everything match properly, but the wheels are half inch wider on the GT3 for the rear. the front size is the same. 

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

I think we can be sure that Porsche won't have invested in a very expensive 9m wide carbon weaving machine just for the one off series of 991.2 turbo S exclusive. These wheels wil become available for the regular 991.2 turbo(S) and will be made in other sizes for the GT3/RS/GT2 in due course.

Patience and large cash reserves will be rewarded no doubt.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

That loom is a multi-million dollar investment, just making a few hundred wheels doesn't make economic sense at all.

The first run of carbon wheels for the Exclusive Series can be consider as a beta run. They need to get that loom up to speed and making a small batch first is a perfectly fine trial run to perfect the process for mass production later on.

--

TB993tt:

Carbon Fibre wheels were not allowed by the TUV back when I had Dymags.... I guess Porsche will be getting them "allowed" since they are a German company Smiley, the big problem is if you scuff one but having said that the same applies to a certain extent with the diamond cut wheels currently in vogue.

They have changed the material, now it is pretty "safe" for rims. It wasn't before. Has nothing to do with being a German company.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

That loom is a multi-million dollar investment, just making a few hundred wheels doesn't make economic sense at all.

The first run of carbon wheels for the Exclusive Series can be consider as a beta run. They need to get that loom up to speed and making a small batch first is a perfectly fine trial run to perfect the process for mass production later on.

Smiley I heard that Porsche tries to lower the price under 10k EUR (9xxx something) to make them attractive for buyers on other models as well. There is also a rumor that they might offer a combo package (PCCB plus carbon wheels) for around 15k EUR in the future. Many possibilities here...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

My primary concern about the carbon fiber  wheels is the repair cost. Overtime with daily use, It's almost impossible for me not to scratch a wheel on a low profile tire. Porsche does offer a wheel and tire guarantee, which is reasonably inexpensive per month on a lease, but the cost of repairing a carbon wheel might be prohibitive.

Touch wood, but I haven't scratch a wheel in over 10 years. I paid extra attention to curbs on parallel parking (i.e. 2 feet off the curb) and turning. 

They get chipped by rocks though. Regular wheels are painted so has to repaint. But as far as I know these carbon wheels are protected by a thick layer of urethane, like the diffuser on the underbody of my 918 and that finishing is quite resistance to rock chips. 

Potholes on the other hand are a different matter...........

--

Whoopsy:

Touch wood, but I haven't scratch a wheel in over 10 years. I paid extra attention to curbs on parallel parking (i.e. 2 feet off the curb) and turning. 

They get chipped by rocks though. Regular wheels are painted so has to repaint. But as far as I know these carbon wheels are protected by a thick layer of urethane, like the diffuser on the underbody of my 918 and that finishing is quite resistance to rock chips. 

And wives...always...wives. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

They are the worst. Definitely. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

You guys just married the wrong ones Smiley

Mine avoid the rims but she nail the mirrors on posts and walls all the time Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Rossi:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

You guys just married the wrong ones Smiley

Mine avoid the rims but she nail the mirrors on posts and walls all the time Smiley

Are there right ones anywhere? Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Also, most carbon fiber products suffer from discoloration after exposure to UV light and tend to develop micro-cracks under fatigue loading.... I would hate to see my $15k wheels become yellowish and cracked after a year or two.... on the other hand, typical owners of these kind of cars will probably not own these cars for such a long time Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:
    Whoopsy:

Also, most carbon fiber products suffer from discoloration after exposure to UV light and tend to develop micro-cracks under fatigue loading.... I would hate to see my $15k wheels become yellowish and cracked after a year or two.... on the other hand, typical owners of these kind of cars will probably not own these cars for such a long time Smiley

Are you sure? I just recently saw a 997.2 Turbo S with an amazing carbon fiber interior (OEM) and this car was in a dealer parking lot for almost two years in bright sun. Carbon looked quite good to me to be honest. I was actually surprised how great the interior looked.

I think Porsche is using a mix of carbon fibers and other materials for their wheels, so I wouldn't worry too much. 

You could be right however: This is a completely new territory (it is...for "mass production"), so there could be issues at first.

--

Hmm, you may be right in a way that for aesthetic purposes (under which I file carbon interiors), the products are coated in such a way that UV discoloration is not such an item. In "my" industry, we have other priorities Smiley

Regarding the micro cracks: yes, it happens. Generally, it is not such an issue, as CFRP products are typically designed to put the fibers in tension. however, when you have a wheel that rotates, and pressure is placed on one side, the whole outer barrel is being pushed through a typical fatigue cycle of compression-tension-compression-tension, etc. Add to that large impulses like potholes every now and then, you're bound to get cracks in the resin at one point. Different types of resin have different resillience to this effect though. Also, the typical fatigue life of a wheel is quite predictable, so it might be that these wheels are designed to last say 15 years or so... 

Btw, I didn't find it really clear from the news articles: is this braiding machine and the manufacturing of these CF wheels done by Porsche in house, or did they finance the development/outsource it and are they presenting it as their own?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Hmm, you may be right in a way that for aesthetic purposes (under which I file carbon interiors), the products are coated in such a way that UV discoloration is not such an item. In "my" industry, we have other priorities Smiley

Regarding the micro cracks: yes, it happens. Generally, it is not such an issue, as CFRP products are typically designed to put the fibers in tension. however, when you have a wheel that rotates, and pressure is placed on one side, the whole outer barrel is being pushed through a typical fatigue cycle of compression-tension-compression-tension, etc. Add to that large impulses like potholes every now and then, you're bound to get cracks in the resin at one point. Different types of resin have different resillience to this effect though. Also, the typical fatigue life of a wheel is quite predictable, so it might be that these wheels are designed to last say 15 years or so... 

Btw, I didn't find it really clear from the news articles: is this braiding machine and the manufacturing of these CF wheels done by Porsche in house, or did they finance the development/outsource it and are they presenting it as their own?

I don't have a clue (yet) but I am sure that over the next couple of weeks, more information and details will surface. Smiley

--

RC:
    Joost:
    Whoopsy:

Are you sure? I just recently saw a 997.2 Turbo S with an amazing carbon fiber interior (OEM) and this car was in a dealer parking lot for almost two years in bright sun. Carbon looked quite good to me to be honest. I was actually surprised how great the interior looked.

The window glass filters most of the UV.  Wheels wouldn't have this advantage.  I am careful to not leave my CF 911 in the sun too long to prevent discoloration.

1503335053272RSExterior.jpg

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:
    Joost:
    Whoopsy:

I'm guessing that is because the CF is in the interior of the car and the glass has the property to allow visible light wavelengths through but not most of the UV wavelengths, that is why you can't get a tan through glass, so the windows of the car protected the interior CF.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

We just posted at the same time Grant indecision

--

Great minds thinking alike indecision

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Smiley Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:
    Joost:
    Whoopsy:

I'm guessing that is because the CF is in the interior of the car and the glass has the property to allow visible light wavelengths through but not most of the UV wavelengths, that is why you can't get a tan through glass, so the windows of the car protected the interior CF.

Yes, that's why I mentioned urethane coating instead of regular cleat coat. 

--

It crossed my mind that quite a few spy photos of test cars had wheels very similar to these fitted.. I guess they just painted them black and we were none the wiser.,

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Don't think those were carbon. Similar 7-spoke design though (quite like that).

Maybe. They must have been out on the road testing them somewhere though - especially with a new tech like that.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Maybe. They must have been out on the road testing them somewhere though - especially with a new tech like that.

I saw them on a photo of a test mule (I think the photo was even here on Rennteam) and they were painted in matte black (I assume they covered the carbon with some sort of pain).

--

0D04A9EB-45E1-4803-9F2E-17535C8E0834.jpeg
    20714DB2-9FA5-47BD-BF09-142F3AE5D012.jpeg

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Much more difficult to get than the GT2 RS...interesting.

--

The is a clearly stated limited model, 500 cars, which is like 1/3 to 1/4 of the GT2RS production run and much cheaper too, yet no one is complaining about it being hard to get like the GT2RS.

Weird isn't it?

--

Whoopsy:

The is a clearly stated limited model, 500 cars, which is like 1/3 to 1/4 of the GT2RS production run and much cheaper too, yet no one is complaining about it being hard to get like the GT2RS.

Weird isn't it?

This runout limited ed Turbo S is not special from a drivers perspective it will surely drive exactly the same as a normal Turbo S with a slightly more urgent last thousand rpm. The GT2RS is a car for drivers and with the extreme nannies and auto box there are a lot more "drivers" who can enjoy it. I find this quite encouraging as it indicates that not everyone is interested in just the car's profit potential.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690345 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409654 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255923 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235165 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65635 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858335 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774583 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM