Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"A lighter, faster, more hardcore F430 is due "

A lighter, faster, more hardcore F430 is due this year, Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo hinted at the Geneva show.

In 2005, Maranello unveiled the F430 Challenge, a racing version which competes in the Ferrari Challenge Trofeo series. Enthusiasts have been eagerly anticipating a roadgoing Challenge, and Di Montezemolo's off-the-cuff remarks at Ferrari's Geneva press conference suggests we won't be waiting much longer.

'Before the end of the year, we will have a new car,' he told journalists. 'It will have a V8 and F1 technology. It will embrace the know-how of weight reduction and high performance learnt from our F1 experience.'

Although he didn't name the new car as the track-biased F430, the cylinder count and ethos - plus the fact that the Challenge has been on the horizon since 2005 - make a spiritual successor to the F360 Challenge Stradale nigh-on a certainty. It will go head-to-head with Lamborghini's Gallardo Superleggera, photographed exclusively in the April issue of CAR Magazine, out now.

Expect the production car to embrace much of the F430 Challenge's specification. The race car runs the regular F430's 483bhp 3.6-litre V8, but 225kg has been stripped out to lower the kerb weight to 1225kg. Weight reduction measures include a lighter windscreen, carbonfibre intake plenum cover and a new exhaust.

Race car features include a quick release steering wheel for fast exits, and centre locking wheels for quick changes. But some of its hardcore features - such as the carbon ceramic brakes, mechanical differential, track-honed suspension and dialled back electronics - should filter through to the road car.

Expect the F430 Challenge to take a bow at Ferrari's 60th anniversary birthday party in June, or one of the autumn's motor shows.

Re: "A lighter, faster, more hardcore F430 is due "

The 430 isn't enough already? Jeez they must have a different definition of hardcore than I do

Re: "A lighter, faster, more hardcore F430 is due

Somehow I can't imagine Luca using the term "hardcore." Anyway, they really don't have anything exciting at Geneva right now so Luca being the consummate marketing whiz used this show as a teaser for things to come

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Somehow I can't imagine Luca using the term "hardcore." Anyway, they really don't have anything exciting at Geneva right now so Luca being the consummate marketing whiz used this show as a teaser for things to come

Quite often Ferrari has nothing new in Geneva, their new cars mostly come out in autumn, making them a Frankfurt or Paris debut.

rumors said the suspension will have a new system

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/news.php?sid=551&page=1

Quote:
    andrea said:

I think they will get rid of the electronical adjustable suspension from the standard car in favour of one sport setting as they did in case of the Challenge Stradale.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:

I think they will get rid of the electronical adjustable suspension from the standard car in favour of one sport setting as they did in case of the Challenge Stradale.

I think also to 599 magnetic ride system

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:

Yes you are right, And the F1 system of 599 for sure

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:

Yes you are right, And the F1 system of 599 for sure

I don't think we will see the magnetic ride system in a Pista or whatever they will call it. This system will come in the F430 successor. Faster F1 maybe, but definitely no magnetic ride.

Quick release steering wheel = Awesome!!

They should have that on production F cars as a security measure!

Quote:
    'Before the end of the year, we will have a new car,' he told journalists. 'It will have a V8 and F1 technology. It will embrace the know-how of weight reduction and high performance learnt from our F1 experience.'

Isn't it possible that he is talking about a really new car -- the rumoured front-engined V8 "FXY"/"Dino"?

Sure, the "Light Pista" is coming. And "V8", "F1 Technology" and "weight reduction" do match.

BUT isn't it strange to point out that this car will use a "V8" and "F1 Technology" if he's talking about a modded F430?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Isn't it possible that he is talking about a really new car -- the rumoured front-engined V8 "FXY"/"Dino"?

Sure, the "Light Pista" is coming. And "V8", "F1 Technology" and "weight reduction" do match.

BUT isn't it strange to point out that this car will use a "V8" and "F1 Technology" if he's talking about a modded F430?

Of course that could also be true.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Dino denied !

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/luca-spill...dino-242518.php

Quote:
    tony h said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Dino denied !

Alright, if Montezemolo really said that it will be lighter and more powerful than a F430, F430 Pista is the only solution.

I heard that dino will come late 2008 maybe early 2009. F430 succesor maybe 2010

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    I heard that dino will come late 2008 maybe early 2009. F430 succesor maybe 2010

I still don't think the 430-successor will come that late.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Alright, if Montezemolo really said that it will be lighter and more powerful than a F430, F430 Pista is the only solution.

I agree.

But there will be some new model -- probably not in the "100,000-Range", not called "Dino" and not placed "below the F430". So he is not lying. But new. Some V8 GT. From all I know, this is for granted.

All those efforts by LDM to deny this is just playing with words IMO.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I agree.

But there will be some new model -- probably not in the "100,000-Range", not called "Dino" and not placed "below the F430". So he is not lying. But new. Some V8 GT. From all I know, this is for granted.

All those efforts by LDM to deny this is just playing with words IMO.

Correct. I got the same information, no matter where I asked.

WOW , can't wait ...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    tony h said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Dino denied !

I'm wondering if he isn't talking about a juiced up F430 that will comply with US regulations?(a Light Pista could be part of that but later) Kind of a next generation 430. I'm thinking that whatever they do has to solve the expiration of the US exemption, to a degree. IMO the next car still comes out in 2010 or there abouts.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    tony h said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Dino denied !

I'm wondering if he isn't talking about a juiced up F430 that will comply with US regulations?(a Light Pista could be part of that but later) Kind of a next generation 430. I'm thinking that whatever they do has to solve the expiration of the US exemption, to a degree. IMO the next car still comes out in 2010 or there abouts.

2010 is eternity away....430 is already ancient, lacking even side/head airbags that Camrys got years ago....599 makes one realize how old-tech 430 is.....US mkt is only 30-35% global F sales.....just like iPods/laptops/cell phs/PDAs/plasma TVs, car product life cycles keep shrinking as tech content continues to increase.... .

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    tony h said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Dino denied !

2010 is eternity away....430 is already ancient, lacking even side/head airbags that Camrys got years ago....599 makes one realize how old-tech 430 is.....US mkt is only 30-35% global F sales.....just like iPods/laptops/cell phs/PDAs/plasma TVs, car product life cycles keep shrinking as tech content continues to increase.... .

I'm sure we will see the F430 successor in late 2008 or early 2009 at the latest.

One thing for sure, the 'Dino' will be out before F430's successor. Why? As the F430's successor will most likely go up in price, it will be 'justified' by a new entry level model.

If the 'Dino' is to appear late 2008/early 2009, the F430's successor could stay true to Ferrari's original V8 model lifecycle plan of 5 years each :

F360 : late 1999
    F430 : late 2004
    F5XX : late 2009

The 430 replacement will be in late 2008. I still do not understand how they are going to be able to sell the light pista in the US unless they radically change the interior of the car. The car seems to fly in the face of what Ferrari told the US when they got their exemption.

So if the 430 is not allowed to be sold after Sept.2008 in the US, apparently no Dino to help dealers after that date and the LP probably a ROW model it is very likely the 430 replacement is a 2009 model sold in 2008.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    it is very likely the 430 replacement is a 2009 model sold in 2008.

Anything else would be a surprise.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I still do not understand how they are going to be able to sell the light pista in the US unless they radically change the interior of the car.

my guess they will bring all the cars within the exemption period and it would come in just like any 430 after all the 360 cs was a 1 year for US

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The 430 replacement will be in late 2008. I still do not understand how they are going to be able to sell the light pista in the US unless they radically change the interior of the car.

Why should the US be so important for the F430 Light Pista sales?

Ferrari can sell a the whole production of the LP outside the US without any problems and simultaneously they can present the F430 successor.

Quote:
    krC2S said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    I still do not understand how they are going to be able to sell the light pista in the US unless they radically change the interior of the car.

my guess they will bring all the cars within the exemption period and it would come in just like any 430 after all the 360 cs was a 1 year for US

That would be the only solution but if you read the entire exemption document one would wonder why do it. It seems to violate the spirit of the agreemnt i.e. a faster lighter 430 without the mandated safety features.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    krC2S said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

That would be the only solution but if you read the entire exemption document one would wonder why do it. It seems to violate the spirit of the agreemnt i.e. a faster lighter 430 without the mandated safety features.

As I said, question is, if the LP will come to US at all (at least legally). The other solution would be to bring the LP as some kind of race car, where the safety regulations are not relevant (if such thing is possible).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690221 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409575 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255892 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235132 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858300 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774514 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM